The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Default So. Much. Rage.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments...d_have_beaten/
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

There's a reason why the Vikings didn't make it to the Superbowl that year, and his name is Denny Green.

I'll take Mike Shanahan beating Denny Green and give away points.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I got good news for you though... Reddit can't take away our ring...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

TD and our line would have pushed their defense's **** in. Cheat up, cheat up, and Shanny and John would kill them off of play action Especially with John Randle hurt. I have no doubt that the Vikings would score a couple of quick touches, but Denver would grind them down by the 4th quarter. 6, 7, 8, minute drives.

Well that and Denny Green.

Last edited by razorwire77; 06-24-2013 at 11:34 PM..
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Denver had a clear edge in coaching that's for sure, but Minnesota had a hell of a team and I think it would have been an all out war with the result difficult to predict. I wouldn't be shocked if either team prevailed.

I think it would come down to TOP. If Denver could possess the ball for 34-35 minutes or more they would win. I think that would be our gameplan...to chew up clock and run the ball to keep Minnesota's record setting offense off the field and to take advantage of Minnesota's average run defense (4.0 ypc.....average to a T). Minnesota could be expected to stack up against the run to stop the league MVP but Atlanta tried a similar strategy and Elway burned them for 336 yards (and he could have had close to 400 but for Sharpe's injury and a miscommunication with Rod on a second potential TD pass). While its true that statistically the Falcons pass defense was a little worse than Minnesota's, the gap was rather minor (6.0 YPA vs. 5.8, 22 TD/19 INT opponent ratio vs. 17 TD/19 INT for MIN). Even with a key injury to Denver's top pass weapon, they hung 34 on Atlanta, so it's not unreasonable to suggest that with Sharpe they could have matched the same against a slightly better pass defense. Certainly I would be surprised if we did not hit 30, barring a rash of turnovers.

Denver's defense would have struggled with Minnesota. We were opportunistic and often made big plays thru creative, but often times risky blitzes, I just can't see our secondary holding its own. Minnesota could still utilize full 7 man protection keeping a TE and the single back in, but releasing 3 WR. Their recievers would be a matchup nightmare for our secondary. Tony Martin and Terence Mathis were a far cry from Moss and Carter during their most dominant year. That just would not have went well.

It's a tough call. Like I said I think in a game of even turnovers, DEN would prevail if we could win TOP by 7 minutes or so. TOP being equal would suggest a MIN win. Something in the middle would prolly be a cliffhanger. Additionally, in a game with two elite teams like this, two weeks of prep for a guy like Shanny could have been the difference as well.

Very, very close. Too close to comfortably call....IMO.

This could have been potentially the most thrilling SB of all time.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 06-24-2013 at 11:53 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

So defending the Broncos was a 17 year old. OK.

Blame the kid! Shanny vs Green would have been the only thing you needed to win vs some Raiders fan that is the first to show he has an actual taste for the English written language.

You know. We had them exactly where we wanted them and we let them off the hook.

Here is to crowning the Vikings Champions and add to their amazing franchise career.
Attached Images

broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
Agamemnon

This really isn't even worthy of a response. That team couldn't even get to the Super Bowl. If they were as great as some people think they wouldn't have had that problem. Anyone who thinks a team that couldn't even get to the Super Bowl once was better than a team that won two in a row is a moron.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #8
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.... one can speculate what "might" have happened in SB 33 had the Vikings kicker made that game-winning FG. But the fact is... Vike-fan "sour grapes" carping aside, the Atlanta Falcons won that NFCCG; also winning the right to play in that Super Bowl. And the Vikings asked the Jest to slide over and give them room on the couch to watch the game.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

I guess you could say if Denny Green was outcoached by a former Broncos coach without TD Sharpe and Elway surely he would have been outcoached by the current one who did have them.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #10
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

The sack/fumble on Cunningham deep in their own territory near the end of the first half when they PROBABLY shouldn't have been passing in that situation is what opened the door for Atlanta and doomed the Vikings.

Minnesota had pretty much dominated up to that point.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

14 years is a long time to be angry about a game.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #12
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post

You might want to ask Steve Bartman about that in a few years. I'm sure he'll agree with you. Doesn't change the face that sports fans have looong memories.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #13
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

All I have to say is, Steve Ateater would have shut Chris Carter's mouth with surgical wiring after he broke his jaw, game over.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #14
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Growing up a stones throw away from Minneapolis, all my friends are basically die hard Vikings fans. Poor them. Since I'm a Broncos fan, this is a hypothetical situation that gets brought up all the time whenever football is being discussed. There is no doubt that Minnesota had one of the most lethal, dynamic offenses of all-time that season, but I find it hard to believe that we would have lost that game.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

WTFE...

The team they couldn't even beat, the Falcons, were down 31-6 in the 4th quarter of Super Bowl 33. It would come down to two things, them NOT being able to stop the running game and Randall Cunningham not being smart enough as a 15 year vet to beat a Greg Robinson defense. The Heathens would have gotten smoked.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I remember watching that game at the Wynkoop Brewery with friends. We all assumed the Vikes would win and were shocked when they didn't. Doesn't matter. The Broncos were a powerhouse on every level and operating like a well-oiled machine with the best game-day coach of all time. They would have cleaned the Vikes' clock the same way they did the Falcons'.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #17
Bronco Yoda

I remember watching the Vikes that year. Scary good O. Their passing attack could have cut us wide open in IMO for a couple quick scores. But in the end we're talking about Denny Green vs. Mike Shannahan with two weeks to plan. I would take Mike 10 out of 10 times in that matchup. The Vikes would have had to count on turnovers to counter our grinding machine.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
bombay
Ring of Famer

If running back Robert Smith (who was allegedly a smart guy) hadn't repeatedly run out of bounds while Minnesota was trying to kill the clock, I guess we would have found out who the better team was.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #19
Rolandftw

The only thing that is a bit insulting is the idea of two Vikings fans getting to be the judges in this debate.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
DENVERDUI55

I agree with Socals post. Once Atlanta won I knew Denver had won the SB. I was nervous all year about Minnesota and they were scary good on both ends. I wonder how many people actually saw that game? I keep hearing Andersen missed the game winner which isn't true. The Viks were up 7 and game probably would of been over. Their loss was a lot like our Raven loss this year and the better team doesn't always win.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #21
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Minnesota was up 7, went for the FG to make it 10, they missed. Atlanta tied. OT. Rest is history.

I am not sure if Minnesota would have won or not. We will never know...because they did not make the Superbowl. Denver and Atlanta did. The end.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #22
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

I remember listening to the postgame show on the way home from the AFCC, they had someone on from Vegas to ask what the opening line was going to be against Atlanta. At the end, they asked what the line would have been had it been Minnesota, the guy said the line would have opened at Denver -3.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #23
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post

Rahim Moore, 'nuff said.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #24
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
Rahim Moore, 'nuff said.

You know I am at the point now where my thinking is if Denver was going to win that game, they would have. They had multiple chances, did not execute. It does say something about the talent on the team that even with turnovers and ridiculous mistakes they had a lead late in the 4th quarter.

**** happens. But I wont be upset about it in 14 years.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #25
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Haven't read all the responses or clicked on the link. I don't need to. That 1998 Broncos team would match up with the Top 5 teams in NFL history. Pick your poison, we were going to kill you one way or the other - running, passing, defense. You let me know when they get a time machine to go back and beat the Falcons who we destroyed in the Superbowl before allowing a couple of garbage time scores (including the kick return). We were coasting by half time. Minnesota might have made it a little closer a little longer, but by the 4th we would have been up 14+ anyways. That Bronco team was all-time dominant.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote