The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #26
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 
Get off my lawn, you kids!

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,442

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

"Best series ever" is high praise. We have some pretty good shows on TV, right now. I may have to check out this show. I've never seen one episode of the Sopranos. Is it the writing? The acting? The storyline? All of the above?
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #27
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
"Best series ever" is high praise. We have some pretty good shows on TV, right now. I may have to check out this show. I've never seen one episode of the Sopranos. Is it the writing? The acting? The storyline? All of the above?
All of the above, yes. Truly a groundbreaking show in many ways. The article linked below gets to some of it.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...fini-1961-2013
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #28
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,967

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
"Best series ever" is high praise. We have some pretty good shows on TV, right now. I may have to check out this show. I've never seen one episode of the Sopranos. Is it the writing? The acting? The storyline? All of the above?
All of the above. It's the show that lead to whatever show you watch now. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc. There is no Draper or White without Soprano.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #29
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,557

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

The writers on Mad Men are largely ex-soprano writers.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #30
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,967

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The writers on Mad Men are largely ex-soprano writers.
True. I believe the head Mad Men guy was actually fired from Sopranos by David Chase, which is really funny.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #31
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,562

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

RIP James

Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #32
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business
 
Man-Goblin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 5,955

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Agree. Season 5 isn't season 5 without seasons 1-4. As for "best series ever" I waver between Sopranos and The Wire.
Sopranos and Wire for me too. Which is weird because they are two totally different shows. For instance, season 4 of The Wire is the best TV season I've ever seen, and you probably could watch it without watching seasons 1-3.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #33
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
Sopranos and Wire for me too. Which is weird because they are two totally different shows. For instance, season 4 of The Wire is the best TV season I've ever seen, and you probably could watch it without watching seasons 1-3.
If pressed I'd probably give a slight edge to The Wire, but Sopranos is perhaps a little more "fun". Season 4 is outstanding. Agree you could watch only that season but you would be missing a lot of the backstory on the main characters and some of the ongoing themes. The Wire is so excellent I'd hate for anyone not to experience the whole thing!
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #34
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The writers on Mad Men are largely ex-soprano writers.
Yup, Matthew Weiner, the creator of Mad Men, was a writer and producer on Sopranos for the 5th and 6th seasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Weiner
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #35
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 
Get off my lawn, you kids!

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,442

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Alrighty. I may have found my summer project. I have a lot of Sopranos to watch...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business
 
Man-Goblin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 5,955

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Alrighty. I may have found my summer project. I have a lot of Sopranos to watch...
I'm jealous of you that you've never watched it.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #37
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business
 
Man-Goblin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 5,955

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
If pressed I'd probably give a slight edge to The Wire, but Sopranos is perhaps a little more "fun". Season 4 is outstanding. Agree you could watch only that season but you would be missing a lot of the backstory on the main characters and some of the ongoing themes. The Wire is so excellent I'd hate for anyone not to experience the whole thing!
I totally agree that the backstory of the first three seasons would make it better. It's an amazing series. But you could still watch it on its own and understand everything that is going on and appreciate it for its amazingness.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Denver Broncos