The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default (Gerell) Robinson Gets Every Rep

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...3-83f76159d3d4

Robinson Gets Every Rep

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- As the team broke from stretching at Broncos rookie minicamp on Saturday, Tight Ends Coach Clancy Barone barked, "Here we go tight ends, over here!"
Funny thing about that -- there was only one tight end in camp: converted wide receiver Gerell Robinson.
Each morning, Robinson jogged over to his coach's corner of the field and went straight into one-on-one work, taking a three-point stance as Barone lined up on either shoulder with a blocking pad. While other position groups cycled drills with each player waiting his turn, Robinson racked up the reps opposite his coach. The two hit the pad and the sled, drilling footwork, hand placement and technique with No. 89's hand in the dirt every snap.
"Itís given me time to slow things down," Robinson said of being his position coach's lone pupil, an experience he's never had before. "It hasnít been chaotic with the installs."
"Itís given me a chance to be one-on-one with him and learn the ins and outs and little innuendos about playing tight end."
Robinson arrived in Denver in 2012 as an undrafted rookie wideout from Arizona State, where he had been quarterback Brock Osweiler's go-to target in the pair's final college season. He spent the past two training camps with the Broncos as a receiver, but was approached by Executive Vice President of Football Operations/General Manager John Elway about a position change near the start of last season.
"We had like a 15-minute conversation and he said nothing but good things and motivated me to make the switch," Robinson said. "Iíve been full steam ahead ever since."
At 6-foot-4 with 33-inch arms, Robinson certainly has the frame suiting a tight end. Bulking up for the position hasn't been an issue, either.
"Iím fortunate to say Iím athletic," he said. "I could drop weight fast or put it on pretty quick."
"Right now Iím probably 238, 240 and Iím still gradually fine tuning things and getting stronger. Thatís the main thing, getting stronger."
If his work at rookie minicamp was any indication, Robinson hasn't sacrificed much quickness in adding about 20 pounds. He's shown the agility to get in and out of his breaks and turn sharply upfield after catching bubble screens. Add that to a wide catch radius and potential matchups against linebackers and safeties -- which Robinson said "makes a world of difference" -- and you can see what Denver coaches had in mind with the position switch.
"We look for an athlete in the passing game at that position," Head Coach John Fox said. "We thought it was just a great opportunity for us to get him involved in that."
"Sometimes that takes a little coaching because itís a little bit different job description."
That's where Barone comes in. In eight years coaching tight ends in the NFL, Barone has helped Alge Crumpler (2005-06), Antonio Gates (2007-08) and Julius Thomas (2013) to a combined five Pro Bowl seasons.
"If you talk to him for five minutes you understand he knows the game," Robinson said. "Any time I get a chance to talk to him one-on-one, go up to his office or even get a chance like this, I couldnít pass this up to soak up all that knowledge."
Time will tell whether Robinson carves out a role for himself in training camp, but he has the physical tools. And a whole weekend of solo tutoring can only hasten the transition after he spent 2013 at tight end on the practice squad.
"Coming from wideout to tight end, the blocking element is something you have to develop," Fox said. "But heís long and willing and heís definitely got the receiving skills."
"Iím still learning little things, you know?" Robinson said. "But as far as heart and work ethic, Iím all there."
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
mennonite
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
"But heís long and willing and heís definitely got the receiving skills."

OMG. horrible.
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

This would be great if he develops. Put him with JT and Green and we can finally get rid of at least Dreessen
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
This would be great if he develops. Put him with JT and Green and we can finally get rid of at least Dreessen
I'd think this guy would replace Tamme, if anybody.
Shananahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Would be nice to see him pan out. Adding him to the weapons we already have would be awesome.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
I'd think this guy would replace Tamme, if anybody.
I would agree, but the team and especially Peyton like Tamme. Dreessen to me is a guy coming off injury that the team is going to end up doing an injury settlement with
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Raw project tight end with potential. Really his only chance to make the team and even that is a long shot. He seemed to take advantage of limited preseason opportunities last year. Really wish we had a minor league farm system for guys like this.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
OMG. horrible.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #9
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

"But he’s long and willing and he’s definitely got the receiving skills."

SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
"But heís long and willing and heís definitely got the receiving skills."

I wanted to make a Michael Sam joke when Youboty got hurt but I figured it would ruffle too many feathers.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #11
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Its has Elway's indorsement is good enough for me.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote