The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default OT - There is hope for our younger generation!

So I went to the library today, they had some teen's volunteering and one of them was reading a book who's cover I recognized but I thought to myself, no way is a teenaged girl reading "Flight" by NASA's 1st Flight Director Chris Kraft. I had to make another pass by their table, sure enough it was Flight, so I told her that it was a great book but she should really read "Failure is not an Option" next.

Now this is where my heart warmed over and I felt that the future of humanity had a chance, the volunteer replied "I wanted that one but it was already checked out"!

Not only did a young teen, who I would associate with Hanna Montana or that chick with the reality show who is married (maybe divorced by now) to a rapper, know who the great NASA Flight Directors were but she is spending her summer reading about them. Plus not only did she want to read "Failure is not an Option" but she couldn't because it was CHECKED OUT! WOO HOO!

I gave a nice lecture on the Kranz Dictum and other NASA books she should read before her eyes shifted to the line forming behind me for her help.

Totally made my day to see a teen reading "Flight" in public, so much so I had to share!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
So I went to the library today, they had some teen's volunteering and one of them was reading a book who's cover I recognized but I thought to myself, no way is a teenaged girl reading "Flight" by NASA's 1st Flight Director Chris Kraft. I had to make another pass by their table, sure enough it was Flight, so I told her that it was a great book but she should really read "Failure is not an Option" next.

Now this is where my heart warmed over and I felt that the future of humanity had a chance, the volunteer replied "I wanted that one but it was already checked out"!

Not only did a young teen, who I would associate with Hanna Montana or that chick with the reality show who is married (maybe divorced by now) to a rapper, know who the great NASA Flight Directors were but she is spending her summer reading about them. Plus not only did she want to read "Failure is not an Option" but she couldn't because it was CHECKED OUT! WOO HOO!

I gave a nice lecture on the Kranz Dictum and other NASA books she should read before her eyes shifted to the line forming behind me for her help.

Totally made my day to see a teen reading "Flight" in public, so much so I had to share!
I bet every librarian and adult was wondering where Chris Hansen was while you randomly started talking up a little girl
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

But to the thread topic. I agree it is nice to see young people or anyone who is reading an informative book, or even novels instead of dicking around on a phone, or on the internet reading tabloids.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

My faith in my generation was restored when Les Miserables killed at the box office.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Quote:
We stopped dreaming. I for one always enjoy looking up at that great sea of stars. Always dreamed of visiting space.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I bet every librarian and adult was wondering where Chris Hansen was while you randomly started talking up a little girl
Well she was at an information desk and it was in public and everyone knows me there so it wasn't like it was a Stranger Danger move. Plus we were talking NASA!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
extralife
Ring of Famer

So what you're saying is the future has a chance because and only if/because someone young shared your exact, specific, idiosyncratic professional and vaguely intellectual interests? That this is, in fact, the only relevant criteria for assessing the human social condition?

****in'-a, man. Ain't the future I'm worried about.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
Drunken.Broncoholic

I like the fact she was reading an actual book, with pages full of words that you have to manually turn. Cause you know, they are slowly becoming extinct. Instead of downloading it.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I like the fact she was reading an actual book, with pages full of words that you have to manually turn. Cause you know, they are slowly becoming extinct. Instead of downloading it.
I know what you mean. I get so much **** from people because i don't do the e-book thing. I love the feel of a real book in my hands. Also, it annoys me that in the case of e-books that you never really own it. At any point the publisher, author, seller of the e-book can rescind the book for any reason and you have no control over it. with the p***Y PC nature of the country right now, we are bound to see the start of books being banned and those people with e-books will suffer that fallout first. with my real books, they are mine no matter what anyone says and the only way you can take what is mine, is if you pry it from my cold dead hands.

also, when the zombie apocalypse happens, those people reliant on e-books will be **** out of luck when the power goes down.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:19 AM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Well she was at an information desk and it was in public and everyone knows me there so it wasn't like it was a Stranger Danger move. Plus we were talking NASA!
just flipping you **** man. I love NASA
Old 06-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #11
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
I believe they just call you a creeper now.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #12
Agamemnon

I'll never cease to find older generations judging younger generations by their antiquated standards amusing. "There's hope for humanity because I found a young person who isn't completely incomprehensible to my anachronistic way of the thinking! Hallelujah!"

Old 06-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #13
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I'll never cease to find older generations judging younger generations by their antiquated standards amusing. "There's hope for humanity because I found a young person who isn't completely incomprehensible to my anachronistic way of the thinking! Hallelujah!"

It totally depends on the situation, but in most cases, you are right.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #14
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

Reminds me of this quote by Socrates (~2,500 years ago)

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Reading is important. Most people don't take the time out of their day to do it. In fact, if you share that you read a lot on the Mane . . . you just might be made fun of.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #16
Bacchus

space is overrated. I mean it kinda sucks and kinda blows. And well its not like its usefull for anything.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post

What happens when it's a young person who has antiquated standards?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

There's always the exception. Now, we have to teach these youngsters how to write complete words. I blame Twitter (and Facebook, by extension). Twitter has a limit on characters, so they learn to write in bingo language (b4)...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
My faith in my generation was restored when Les Miserables killed at the box office.
Well, there are a lot of openly gay young people these days. They are celebrating!
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
There's always the exception. Now, we have to teach these youngsters how to write complete words. I blame Twitter (and Facebook, by extension). Twitter has a limit on characters, so they learn to write in bingo language (b4)...
Abbreviations and Internet slang were already well established before Twitter, thanks to instant messaging and texting. Hell, in the era of telegraphs there was extensive use of abbreviations and removed vowels, etc. Any situation where writing fast / saving keystrokes is more important that grammar will lead to people being creative with their English.

But, certainly, it is much more prevalent and engrained in the culture now. Which isn't an entirely bad thing, so long as students have it drilled into them when and where to write correctly.

As someone who tends to even text in full sentences, I understand how grating it can be to look at, but I think general reading comprehension is a deeper issue at this point. This article I read this week highlighted how almost all grade school students are reading books that are rated for reading difficulty well below there own:

Quote:
Last year, for the first time, Renaissance did a separate study to find out what books were being assigned to high school students. "The complexity of texts students are being assigned to read," Stickney says, "has declined by about three grade levels over the past 100 years. A century ago, students were being assigned books with the complexity of around the ninth- or 10th-grade level. But in 2012, the average was around the sixth-grade level."
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedReaver View Post
Reminds me of this quote by Socrates (~2,500 years ago)

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”
Thanks man i was going to post something similar. Since there have been old people, and young people, the same things have been said. Some things are just the nature of life.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

When I see kids into music I get excited but it doesn't have to be old music that i like. It can be music I have no understanding of lol. It's not about them doing what we do, or liking what we like, its about them just trying to use their brains.

I can see why reading up on our great space program is important though. Getting kids excited about exploring is good stuff.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

was she hot??
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #24
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran

Mhmugggggeeeee

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #25
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
So what you're saying is the future has a chance because and only if/because someone young shared your exact, specific, idiosyncratic professional and vaguely intellectual interests? That this is, in fact, the only relevant criteria for assessing the human social condition?

****in'-a, man. Ain't the future I'm worried about.
That was not what I was saying, it was just a way to get you into the thread and read it.

Jesus you guys who take everything so literally crack me up.