The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Default The Terrorists keep winning

League alters bag policy for safety, convenience

Posted by Mike Florio on June 13, 2013, 1:21 PM EDT

At a time when the NFL is championing diversity, the league still doesn’t want to see men with purses. But for entirely different reasons.

The NFL is now prohibiting purses and other similar bags from pro football stadiums.

A team source alerted PFT to the looming change in the NFL’s policy regarding bags. The NFL has confirmed that the policy, primarily intended to enhance safety, was revised based on the recommendation of the Stadium Security and Fan Conduct Committee.

Fans will be encouraged to bring no bags of any kind to NFL stadiums. Starting with the 2013 preseason, only certain bags will be permitted.

Specifically, the bags must be clear, and they must be made of plastic, vinyl, or PVC. The dimensions may not exceed 12 inches by six inches by 12 inches. Alternatively, fans may bring a one-gallon Ziploc (product placement!) freezer bag.

Fans are limited to one bag each. Teams will be encouraged to make clear bags available for their belongings. Binoculars, phones, and cameras can be can be carried in to the stadium.

Coincidentally, clear plastic tote bags bearing official NFL team logos are available for purchase.

This means no purses or backpacks or coolers or briefcases or fanny packs or cinch bags or seat cushions or luggage of any kind or computer bags or camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size. The NFL has explained that seat cushions are prohibited because of the possibility that they will be used to conceal an explosive device.

That said, small “clutch” bags (roughly the size of a hand) are permitted. Also, an exception will be made for medically necessary items, subject to inspection at the gate.

Other venues have taken similar measures. The University of Michigan, Penn State University, and Michigan State University prohibit all bags, and TD Garden in Boston allows only “clutch” bags. It’s amazing more venues haven’t joined this trend.

The goal, in addition to safety, is to minimize the time spent inspecting items at the gate. This procedure makes it easier to eyeball what fans are bringing to the stadium.

Ideally, fans would bring nothing, other than their wallets.

All (or at least most) kidding aside, it’s a good policy. To ensure that everyone at a game is safe, sacrifices have to be made. In lieu of sacrificing a bunch of time standing in line while gigantic purses and backpacks are searched, this policy makes plenty of sense.

And if fans don’t like it, they can watch the game at home. The fact that the NFL is willing to let fans make that choice at a time when the league is trying desperately to lure fans to the stadium demonstrates the importance the NFL has attached to the issue.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...y-convenience/
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

As I was reading through, I thought "I bet they'll be selling," and then THIS:

Coincidentally, clear plastic tote bags bearing official NFL team logos are available for purchase.

Ahhhh, there it is.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
As I was reading through, I thought "I bet they'll be selling," and then THIS:

Ahhhh, there it is.
they started selling those when they originally adopted the above bag policy shortly after 911. I can't remember exactly when they eventually relaxed the rules. I used to be able to smuggle a flask/candy/stuff in my camera bag when i had season tickets.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
BroncoBeavis

Yeah, if this holds up my wife's gonna be pretty pissed if she can't bring her camera.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
lolcopter

Man going to games is such a pain in the ass already. Isn't this BS like a decade too late or something?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Yeah, if this holds up my wife's gonna be pretty pissed if she can't bring her camera.
Can bring a camera, just not the camera bag
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Way to help your attendance figures NFL.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Terrorists win again for sure! Love how the pundits in DC claim that 911 and other terrorist acts are not going to change the way we live. When grandma gets groped at the airport, no biggie. When your wife gets to pose naked for the security bozo, no problem.

Now we don't allow anything bigger than 6x6" into huge sporting events. Why? Because it makes people buy more crap in the stadium. That's why. The uberwealthy can pan it off as "security" and then skip security when they board their private jet.

Liberals got anything to say about this? Probably not.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
DenverDynamite

Well, I guess I'm for it if it speeds-up/shortens the pat-down lines in front of the stadium.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

we planned on going to a game every year, but i think a better approach would be to a a game city every year and just watch it at a local bar.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Yep, because protecting your property like binoculars is perfect when you put it in a team logo plastic bag! Can't bring in cushion seats? Seems like a ploy to finally sell out the club level area. We pay big money to sit on hard seats and now bringing in the butt pad is off limits. Only thing good about this is that old people will have hemorroid problems and not be able to go to the games. Grand kids are going to be stoked about this ruling.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
Drunken.Broncoholic

With 80+ inch 4k HDTVs why leave the house....
Old 06-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
Jay3

A fanny pack is much more cool looking anyway.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Terrorists win again for sure! Love how the pundits in DC claim that 911 and other terrorist acts are not going to change the way we live. When grandma gets groped at the airport, no biggie. When your wife gets to pose naked for the security bozo, no problem.

Now we don't allow anything bigger than 6x6" into huge sporting events. Why? Because it makes people buy more crap in the stadium. That's why. The uberwealthy can pan it off as "security" and then skip security when they board their private jet.

Yeah, this is ALLLLLLLL a liberal conspiracy. Good god, man, all the idiots are responsible for this ****. Both sides.

But arguing politics with the hair-on-fire bull**** yammering should address the situation effectively.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Yeah, this is ALLLLLLLL a liberal conspiracy. Good god, man, all the idiots are responsible for this ****. Both sides.

But arguing politics with the hair-on-fire bull**** yammering should address the situation effectively.
looks like you missed the point. This should unite liberals and conservatives, that was my point.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Looks like bota bags aren't on the list. I'm good.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
looks like you missed the point. This should unite liberals and conservatives, that was my point.
Quote:
Obviously.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Obviously.
Dude, you are reactionary and nothing more. My point is that liberals have been pretty quiet on this stuff (airport security for example) while conservatives keep pointing out the ways our rights are being violated post 911.

I was hoping some of the liberal posters like yourself might say "yah, it's getting overboard and this is an example" but instead you post a reactionary over-the-top blameshift post. Whatever.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Can bring a camera, just not the camera bag
Yeah, but with an SLR that's not realistic.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #20
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
My point is that liberals have been pretty quiet on this stuff (airport security for example) while since President Blackenstein was elected in 2009 conservatives keep pointing out the ways our rights are being violated post 911.
FYP.
BroncoInferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Quote:
Dude, you are reactionary and nothing more. My point is that liberals have been pretty quiet on this stuff (airport security for example) while conservatives keep pointing out the ways our rights are being violated post 911.

I was hoping some of the liberal posters like yourself might say "yah, it's getting overboard and this is an example" but instead you post a reactionary over-the-top blameshift post. Whatever.
Yeah, pointing out one sides ignorance or ambivalence while pronouncing that the other side has been 'doing it right' for a decade sure seems like a uniting effort.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #22
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
With 80+ inch 4k HDTVs why leave the house....
lol the 4k consumer market has years to go. Pretty expensive right now
Old 06-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #23
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Umm yeah, sit in front of my 60 inch flat screen and eat whatever I want, drink whatever I want and wear whatever I want.

Or

"Place your 12 inch by 6 inch by 12 inch $29.95 NFL Logo clear plastic bag on the floor to your left and take a half step to the right, Citizen.

Tough choice. Probably why I hit up one live Broncos game every 3 years or so now.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #24
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
lol the 4k consumer market has years to go. Pretty expensive right now
In the meantime they can bring the beers over. The average TV owner will probably never be in the market. It's the people who have mini theaters and such set up in their houses

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 06-13-2013 at 01:29 PM..
Old 06-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #25
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
In the meantime they can bring the beers over. The average TV owner will probably never be in the market. It's the people who have mini theaters and such set up in their houses
True, but 4k can only be watched off a hard drive right now. The infrastructure that would be required to broadcast a 4k signal is YEARS away, seeing that 1080p can't even be broadcast yet afaik (mostly 1080i but a lot of companies only ship 720)

Sorry for nit-picking like a true nerd, but 4k is a long ways away :p