The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #26
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
One of the most interesting stories during the lockout was Bruton tutored students at some local high school at algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. But his on-field play at safety hasn't been all that astronomical. Good guy to have on the team hence the new contract. I think Del Rio is pushing him to be more assertive because he's not all that happy with the safety play, he wants somebody to step up and be a leader.
I didn't realize that. That's awesome.

Edit - he studied PoliSci at Notre Dame.

Yep, pretty smart dude.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #27
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
I just looked back at Crowder's measurables. That dude was a beast at the combine. Too bad he didn't pan out.
I could never figure out why he didn't succeed. His rookie year he had 5 sacks and scored a TD against Pittsburgh in prime time. Then Shanahan got rid of him and he went to Tampa. I thought he was going to be good.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #28
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I could never figure out why he didn't succeed. His rookie year he had 5 sacks and scored a TD against Pittsburgh in prime time. Then Shanahan got rid of him and he went to Tampa. I thought he was going to be good.
he actually went and started in Tampa for a while after he left us, so he's actually had a 5-year career, which is one more than the average. He seems to have been out of football in 2012 though so probably done now.

I seem to recall it came down to a straight competition between him and Jarvis Moss for the final DE spot. Moss made himself puke in training or a preseason game or something and I think that sealed the deal as they couldn;t decide.

As a 1st round pick Moss had the higher upside at the time, but in hindsight Crowder was a servicable pro and Moss was in fact more deserving of the term 'Bust'...
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #29
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Well, yeah Jarvis was a bust. Not worth the selection and definitely wasn't worth trading up for with that third round pick we sure could have used. IIRC, Crowder was cut after training camp in 2009 when the Broncos went to a different scheme under McDaniels when Nolan was DC -- then he went to Tampa Bay and was a rotational guy.

He was never going to be a sack machine, pretty much a 5-8 sack guy with solid run defense (as a full-time guy), which is kinda what we needed with how old Ekuban was. Never got that opportunity here. I don't recall what happened to him not to be active during his sophomore year with the Broncos though.

Last edited by Requiem; 06-17-2013 at 07:14 AM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #30
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I'll be happy when the oline suits up together in practice all healthy. Until then I am a bit worried.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #31
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I think in the end Bruton plays but doesn't start and stay mostly on special teams. But if he did a Wesley Woodyard and the Broncos started scoring good play from players like Bruton and Orange Julious then the AFC better watch out. We could be really strong.

I still think Broncos in a hurry up could be very deadly. I think we saw NE sort of school us last yr. We couldn't sub players out, we couldn't adjust to the fast pace.

Our plan this yr is to be able to do that to other teams. Our offense will have a 3 wr base that hopefully we can run out of. If they add the stretch play, the play action off it, some zone running that works from a 3 WR set I don't see how we don't score 30 points a game and up. Teams will get stuck in a base defense of 5 and maybe even 6 coverage type players or dbacks playing. If they want their situational pass rushers in the game they may have to just play them on first downs or they won't get in the game. IMO that means teams will be vulnerable to the run big time or they won't get a pass rush. Pick your poison.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote