The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #51
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Orange Julius has never produced on the football field... ever.
from one of the alleged 100's of fluff pieces about him -

Thomas was a First-team All-Big Sky Conference selection in 2010. He ended the season with 29 receptions for 453 yards and two touchdowns. Thomas had not played collegiate football prior to 2010. He played four seasons for the Portland State basketball team.

how does a guy who has never produced on the football field ever make first team all-conference?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #52
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Because one of them didnt swing and miss 2 straight years. Pretty simple. Easier to accept a rookie than a 3rd year player who hasn't had any impact yet.
Umm, he was injured for two straight years.....and since clowns on here claim he has had all kinds of articles written about him, I'm curious why knowledge of that fact isn't more common.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #53
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Montee Ball is the all-time NCAA leader in rushing TDs. Julius Thomas did squat in college and has done squat through two years in the NFL. Yeah they are totally the same.
as our resident #1 Tebow fan you should know that college production doesn't guarantee success in the NFL.

You fail to recognize that this "hype" is based on a guy who has played all of 3 seasons of football (one college, two pro) coming off injury performing very well against veteran NFL players who have played many seasons.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #54
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
No. See my earlier post on what I believe swing and miss means. Brock didnt see the field in games but an injury would've put him below his development so far.

And that's 2 totally different examples since Brock wasn't expected to play yet.
Now if ball goes down in preseason, then goes down again next year of consider that a disappointment.

You can call it what you want(incomplete). I call 1 rec for 5 yards in 2 years a disappointment

so you expected a former basketball developmental player who played one season of college football and was a 4th round pick to be the starter the past two years?
Old 06-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #55
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
so you expected a former basketball developmental player who played one season of college football and was a 4th round pick to be the starter the past two years?
Nope. What does the term "hype" mean? Someone said all this talk about Thomas blowin up in camp isn't hype. I disagree with that statement. Hype is a stradegy marketing something/someone that everyone must buy into or have, to the point where people feel they need to consume it. Right now, articles like this are hyping him up with basically no resume as a bronco to back it up.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #56
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Nope. What does the term "hype" mean? Someone said all this talk about Thomas blowin up in camp isn't hype. I disagree with that statement. Hype is a stradegy marketing something/someone that everyone must buy into or have, to the point where people feel they need to consume it. Right now, articles like this are hyping him up with basically no resume as a bronco to back it up.
I agree all these articles are hype...

I was referring to your swing and miss post....you said it didn't pertain to Osweiler because he wasn't expected to play.....I'm wondering whether or not you expected Thomas to be our starting TE the past two seasons?
Old 06-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #57
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
I agree all these articles are hype...

I was referring to your swing and miss post....you said it didn't pertain to Osweiler because he wasn't expected to play.....I'm wondering whether or not you expected Thomas to be our starting TE the past two seasons?
I didnt mean a swing meant producing on the field like a starter. My def of a swing and miss is an attempt at something with no results. He attempted to become a player of any impact and the injury bug has prevented it. Injuries happen and derail players all the time. I did expect him to get some playing time his rookie year as we were very thin at TE back then.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #58
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
The 2013 Broncos offense might rival the 98 offense...

Tell me that's not a serious statement. I will give the benefit of the doubt because the game wasn't about high octane offenses, but seriously..?

Elway didn't even throw for 3,000 yards.
Why wouldn't that be a serious statement? Elway started 12 games that year and the offence was benched for entire quarters throughout that year because the game was over by the 4th quarter. Go back and watch that team and tell us Denver wasn't absolutely dominant on offence. Then there's that whole TD running for 2k and winning MVP despite sitting for ~8 entire quarters during the year.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #59
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
from one of the alleged 100's of fluff pieces about him -

Thomas was a First-team All-Big Sky Conference selection in 2010. He ended the season with 29 receptions for 453 yards and two touchdowns. Thomas had not played collegiate football prior to 2010. He played four seasons for the Portland State basketball team.

how does a guy who has never produced on the football field ever make first team all-conference?
not trying to hate on the guy, but those First Team All Big Sky conference numbers are pretty damn weak. I hope he can live up to the hype and potential, but if i were a betting man, i would wager, Tamme, Dreessen and Green all have more playing time.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #60
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
Why wouldn't that be a serious statement? Elway started 12 games that year and the offence was benched for entire quarters throughout that year because the game was over by the 4th quarter. Go back and watch that team and tell us Denver wasn't absolutely dominant on offence. Then there's that whole TD running for 2k and winning MVP despite sitting for ~8 entire quarters during the year.
imagine the absolutely unbreakable single season record TD would have had for rushing had he not sat so much during that season.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #61
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

From the minute he was drafted it was KNOWN he would be a PROJECT who was NOT EXPECTED TO START. His potential if he developed would be a great player. He was injured. What exactly did you guys expect? Well see if he has made that step when the bullets start flying
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #62
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
not trying to hate on the guy, but those First Team All Big Sky conference numbers are pretty damn weak. I hope he can live up to the hype and potential, but if i were a betting man, i would wager, Tamme, Dreessen and Green all have more playing time.
I was just pointing out he did accomplish something on the football field.....
Old 06-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #63
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Green was the one projected to play early.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #64
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Sure, but I've actually been looking for the OMG SO EXOLOSIVE IN PRACTICE/HE HAS MACHINE LIKE ABILITY TO FIND THE HOLE articles, but haven't seem any
The only guys that get hyped up before pads come on are QBs, WRs, and DBs (and TEs apparently). A running back isn't going to get hyped up for finding holes while in shorts, at least not by anyone with any level of repute.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #65
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I am saying hype is hype either one or both could crash and burn or shine.

How can you accept one player's hype and ridicule the other's hype.
Ok, I can see that but some hype is mor elegitimate than others. Montee Ball hype is legitimate, so far all Orange Julius Hype is based on he physical attributes.

Comparing the two is comparing apples and oranges.

From your point of view Andrew Luck hype is just as ridiculous as Orange Julius hype.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #66
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Ok, I can see that but some hype is mor elegitimate than others. Montee Ball hype is legitimate, so far all Orange Julius Hype is based on he physical attributes.

Comparing the two is comparing apples and oranges.

From your point of view Andrew Luck hype is just as ridiculous as Orange Julius hype.

Actually Luck's hype will be more difficult for him to fulfill than the hyped expectations surrounding Julius Thomas will be for him.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #67
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The only guys that get hyped up before pads come on are QBs, WRs, and DBs (and TEs apparently). A running back isn't going to get hyped up for finding holes while in shorts, at least not by anyone with any level of repute.
Mike Bell says, "u no good memory!"
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #68
Shananahan

Quote:
Actually Luck's hype will be more difficult for him to fulfill than the hyped expectations surrounding Julius Thomas will be for him.
No, it won't.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #69
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
No, it won't.
You'll be right if he is a first ballot HOF'er
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #70
Shananahan

Quote:
You'll be right if he is a first ballot HOF'er
I'll be right because the simple odds are in Luck's favor. Not that anybody predicting Luck will be a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer is worth listening to or that your silly comparison means anything whatsoever, but a guy viewed by many as the best prospect at the QB position in years who was drafted number one overall and has already shined on the field, leading a failure of a team to the playoffs as a rookie, will always have a better shot at making the Hall on his first try than a roll-of-the-dice, would-be-Jimmy Graham who has done nothing more than be extremely athletic whenever he's healthy and not wearing football pads does of simply becoming an above-average football player, much less one of the best at his position.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #71
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
Thomas beating out Tamme as the primary receiving TE would be great. Obviously he needs to earn it though, not have it handed to him.

Interested to see Virgil Green too, he's not the athlete Thomas is but seems to have a much more well rounded skill set.

Should be an interesting training camp at the TE position. Do people expect we'll carry 4 on the roster again next year?
wtf?

Julius Thomas Combine Results
Height: 6' 05"
Weight: 246 lbs.
Arm length: 33"
Hand size: 10 1/4"
40-yard dash: 4.64
Bench: 16 reps
Vertical jump: 35.5 inches
Broad jump: 111 inches
3-cone drill: 6.96
Short shuttle: 4.31

Virgil Green Combine Results
Height: 6' 03"
Weight: 249 lbs.
Arm length: 33 1/2"
Hand size: 9 1/4"
Bench: 23 reps
Vertical jump: 42.5 inches
Broad jump: 130 inches
3-cone drill: 6.90
Short Shuttle: 4.40

I've always been higher on Green than Thomas (he was my adopt-a-bronco a few years back). Better resume coming out of college, and actually a superior athlete for the most part.

College career
Virgil Green: 34 games started, 72 receptions, 939 yards, 11 touchdowns
Julius Thomas: 1 game started, 29 receptions, 453 yards, 2 touchdowns

Pro career
Virgil Green: 5 games started (27 games active), 8 receptions for 87 yards
Julius Thomas: 1 game started (9 games active), 1 reception for 5 yards

I like both of them as developmental prospects, but have no idea why Thomas is getting all the press and Green is essentially forgotten....

Last edited by BowlenBall; 06-16-2013 at 02:39 AM..
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #72
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Just for comparison's sake with the two players above, here's my 2013 adopt-a-Bronco:

Lucas Reed Combine Results
Height: 6' 06"
Weight: 247 lbs.
Arm length: 35 1/2"
Hand size: 10 1/2"
40-yard dash: 4.76
Bench: 25 reps
Vertical jump: 37 inches
Broad jump: 124 inches
3-cone drill: 6.99
Short shuttle: 4.17

College career
33 games started, 77 receptions, 949 yards, 6 touchdowns

Reed also surpasses Thomas in nearly all categories (and is the best blocker of the three coming out of college), and yet is also a very unheralded prospect....

Last edited by BowlenBall; 06-16-2013 at 03:01 AM..
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #73
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Said it a bazillion times. If this guy lives up to the hype and Montee Ball goes HAM, our offense is going to rival the 98 team. Might even be better.
I doubt it. Zimmerman better then Clady, Stinky better then beadles, Nalen better then anyone at center, Shannon Sharpe a HOF, Rod Smith, Eddie Mac, Howard Grifith was best FB in the NFL then and TD loads better then anything e have now. The only spot better is 3rd WR.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #74
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
wtf?

Julius Thomas Combine Results
Height: 6' 05"
Weight: 246 lbs.
Arm length: 33"
Hand size: 10 1/4"
Bench: 16 reps
Vertical jump: 35.5 inches
Broad jump: 111 inches
3-cone drill: 6.96
Short shuttle: 4.31

Virgil Green Combine Results
Height: 6' 03"
Weight: 249 lbs.
Arm length: 33 1/2"
Hand size: 9 1/4"
Bench: 23 reps
Vertical jump: 42.5 inches
Broad jump: 130 inches
3-cone drill: 6.90
Short Shuttle: 4.40

I've always been higher on Green than Thomas (he was my adopt-a-bronco a few years back). Better resume coming out of college, and actually a superior athlete for the most part.

College career
Virgil Green: 34 games started, 72 receptions, 939 yards, 11 touchdowns
Julius Thomas: 1 game started, 29 receptions, 453 yards, 2 touchdowns

Pro career
Virgil Green: 5 games started (27 games active), 8 receptions for 87 yards
Julius Thomas: 1 game started (9 games active), 1 reception for 5 yards

I like both of them as developmental prospects, but have no idea why Thomas is getting all the press and Green is essentially forgotten....
Because one is standing out in practice and the other isn't?
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #75
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Where the rubber meets the road, especially in camp and in the regular season, is in the blocking game. Fox is especially keen on having good blocking tight ends in all his base formations. Virgil Green is a very good blocker. Blocking is not something they do at all during OTA's. I always attributed Julius Thomas' inability to crack the active players list as a direct result of him being a poor run blocker and decidedly average on special teams. I know the injury was a factor too, obviously, but Fox really seems to like well rounded players.

If Thomas can block with enough ability to be able to be considered a starter, it could suggest all this touch football success is warranted.

I'll believe it when I see it...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote