The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #76
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
If you actually eat some of the dirt, it works even better -- the positive ions get all up in your colon.
It's negative ions. Eating dirt (clay) has a different application

Eating Dirt Has Long, Maybe Healthy, History
Review of data on 'geophagy' suggests people do it to help ward off germs and parasites

June 6, 2011 RSS Feed Print
Comment (1)

inShare
Related Articles
For Health Benefits, Try Tai Chi
Health Buzz: Autism Study Was an 'Elaborate Fraud'
5 Simple Lifestyle Changes to Help Prevent Cancer

MONDAY, June 6 (HealthDay News) -- While the notion of deliberately eating dirt may be unappetizing to most people, the practice has a long history and may actually be seen by some as healthy, a new study finds.

The analysis of existing research on the issue finds that eating dirt, or "geophagy," may protect the body against invaders such as germs and parasites.

People have eaten dirt for thousands of years, at least, and it's been reported in almost every country, according to report lead author Sera Young, a researcher at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y. In fact, geophagy has been reported on every inhabited continent and in almost every country.

But why would people crave dirt in their diet? Is it for nutrition? Because of hunger? Due to mental illness?

To find out, Young and her colleagues examined more than 480 cultural reports of dirt-eating and then looked for patterns.

They found that people eat dirt (typically boiled first) even when there's plenty of food around, and they don't tend to eat enough to make them full. As for nutrition, the most common form of dirt eaten, a type of clay, isn't loaded with minerals. In fact, ingested clay can impede the uptake of nutrients by the digestive tract, the researchers found.

The researchers believe the best answer is that dirt protects the body against parasites and pathogens. They point out that geophagy is most common among women in early pregnancy, and pre-adolescent children, and both of these categories of people are especially vulnerable to parasites and germs.

Bolstering the theory is the fact that dirt-eating is most common in tropical climes where foodborne pathogens are most common, and people often seek out dirt for eating when they are in some kind of gastrointestinal distress.

"We hope this paper stimulates [more] research," the study authors write. "More importantly, we hope readers agree that it is time to stop regarding geophagy as a bizarre, non-adaptive gustatory mistake. With these data, it is clear that geophagy is a widespread behavior in humans that occurs during both vulnerable life stages and when facing ecological conditions that require protection."

The study appears in the June issue of The Quarterly Review of Biology.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #77
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Seeing as I am dating a Dutch chick that left for the better parties in Berlin I'd disagree as much as one could without having been to Amsterdam.

If you think it's modern you were probably around the Unter Den Linden / Mitte area. Kreuzberg, Kreuzkoelln (bordering Neukoelln) and Friedrichschain are where the fun is at Walking the old Stalinallee (Franzozischerallee), the former soviet showcase street, is a fascinating trip through the hideous / beautiful / tacky grandiosity of DDR Berlin.

A lot of Munich was rebuilt, but there is plenty to see in German that is truly old. The Nazi buildings were the ones sturdy enough to survive and in Munich they do. Hitler's old office is a locked up storage area now (I peeped through the key hole). I see how WW2 history is fascianting to many visiting the country but for me what happened after, specifically in Berlin, is what's really interesting because of the conditions it laid for this insane, awesome, hedonistic culture that exists there. You see 70 year old couples partying at clubs. If you were locked up behind a wall for most of your life, why wouldn't you? It's a joyful place. In Bavaria I do recommend Neuchwanstein (sp?), mad King Ludwig's Bavarian castle, which the Disney castle was based on.

RE: Visa I haven't started working yet but sponsorship is easy provided you have skills relevant to tech. They want Americans in Berin (I'm a US citizen after all). It's underpopulated at 3 point something mil in a city built for 6. You can get a 4 year work visa (standard), a 1 year freelance, a 2 year German language visa (requires an intensive course) or a 1 or 2 year artist's visa. I have a buddy that's been there for the past 10 years using these back to back while he DJs. He's close to hitting his max.
Wait, so as an "artist" i could just live in Germany and find work in a writing field?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #78
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

In Berlin specifically, yes. I don't know about the other cities.

I hear **** has lots of ions in it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #79
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
In Berlin specifically, yes. I don't know about the other cities.
Well, thats interesting. huh. I always heard it was virtually impossible for an american to move to Germany. Save room on your couch, im moving in.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #80
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Here you go - http://www.berlin.de/labo/auslaender...html#Gebuehren
Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #81
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Thats veerrrry interesting. thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #82
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
It's negative ions. Eating dirt (clay) has a different application

Eating Dirt Has Long, Maybe Healthy, History
Review of data on 'geophagy' suggests people do it to help ward off germs and parasites

June 6, 2011 RSS Feed Print
Comment (1)

inShare
Related Articles
For Health Benefits, Try Tai Chi
Health Buzz: Autism Study Was an 'Elaborate Fraud'
5 Simple Lifestyle Changes to Help Prevent Cancer

MONDAY, June 6 (HealthDay News) -- While the notion of deliberately eating dirt may be unappetizing to most people, the practice has a long history and may actually be seen by some as healthy, a new study finds.

The analysis of existing research on the issue finds that eating dirt, or "geophagy," may protect the body against invaders such as germs and parasites.
So Haiti residents should really be healthy!

Also, what about eating your buggers? If good, I won't make fun of all the smart kids in my younger son's class that pick and eat them like they are a snack.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #83
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bˇg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I also recommend that you carry unscented whips, a decent pen and small pencil style flashlight. All three are extremely useful.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #84
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
So Haiti residents should really be healthy!

Also, what about eating your buggers? If good, I won't make fun of all the smart kids in my younger son's class that pick and eat them like they are a snack.
The convenient thing about ignorance is the suffer is quick to declare his affliction to anyone he happens to encounter thus giving clear and fair warning he is not a person to be taken seriously.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #85
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Just for fun, wear a turban and pace up and down the isle talking to yourself with clinched fists.
thats opposite of what i was gonna say, sew a Canadian flag on your bag, say eh alot, youll be fine.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #86
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I also recommend that you carry unscented whips
what does it matter if his whip smells or not ?

im pretty sure its the ball gag that should be unscented
Old 06-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #87
lolcopter

**** Canada
Old 06-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #88
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
The convenient thing about ignorance is the suffer is quick to declare his affliction to anyone he happens to encounter thus giving clear and fair warning he is not a person to be taken seriously.
Oh, so now you are saying the statement "eating dirt is good for you" is false and he is full of **** or were you describing yourself?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #89
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bˇg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
what does it matter if his whip smells or not ?

im pretty sure its the ball gag that should be unscented
Less chance to ruin his leather chaps.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #90
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Seeing as I am dating a Dutch chick that left for the better parties in Berlin I'd disagree as much as one could without having been to Amsterdam.

If you think it's modern you were probably around the Unter Den Linden / Mitte area. Kreuzberg, Kreuzkoelln (bordering Neukoelln) and Friedrichschain are where the fun is at Walking the old Stalinallee (Franzozischerallee), the former soviet showcase street, is a fascinating trip through the hideous / beautiful / tacky grandiosity of DDR Berlin.

A lot of Munich was rebuilt, but there is plenty to see in German that is truly old. The Nazi buildings were the ones sturdy enough to survive and in Munich they do. Hitler's old office is a locked up storage area now (I peeped through the key hole). I see how WW2 history is fascianting to many visiting the country but for me what happened after, specifically in Berlin, is what's really interesting because of the conditions it laid for this insane, awesome, hedonistic culture that exists there. You see 70 year old couples partying at clubs. If you were locked up behind a wall for most of your life, why wouldn't you? It's a joyful place. In Bavaria I do recommend Neuchwanstein (sp?), mad King Ludwig's Bavarian castle, which the Disney castle was based on.

RE: Visa I haven't started working yet but sponsorship is easy provided you have skills relevant to tech. They want Americans in Berin (I'm a US citizen after all). It's underpopulated at 3 point something mil in a city built for 6. You can get a 4 year work visa (standard), a 1 year freelance, a 2 year German language visa (requires an intensive course) or a 1 or 2 year artist's visa. I have a buddy that's been there for the past 10 years using these back to back while he DJs. He's close to hitting his max.

Trying shrooms in Vondelpark was an party in itself.

All kidding aside... I will say that when I was in Amsterdam I was about to hook up with this Czech chick, but I got cockblocked.... by an even hotter Spanish chick that I ended up going home with (her and I still kinda keep in touch). And I'm not even talking about the Red Light district. This was in the Spui - a legit "party area" in the heart of Amsterdam, right across the square from the worlds first legal "coffee shop." It was an exchange party with drunk college kids from all over the world. I dated a Dutch girl, too. Even took a year of the Dutch language, in large part because of this fact.* Anyway, Juul was the nicest woman I have been with. Seriously a sweet girl. In fact I'm considering doing my doctorate at Maastricht University - mostly so I can go back to Holland, partly so I can be with her. Besides, Amsterdam is simply BEAUTIFUL. The buildings were largely preserved during the war... and if you're into art or history you can't beat it. The Anne Frank house has the most ominous feel throughout it, and will be one of the most powerful experiences you'll ever have.

It's kinda ridiculous the quality of museums Holland has for a nation so small. The Rijksmuseum, the van Gogh museum, for example... the Mauritshuis den Haag is ridiculous. It's literally a house... and every piece they have is a timeless work of art.

Anyway, since this is about Germany rather than the Netherlands, I will say this: make sure you're getting on the right train. Despite beliefs that "German trains ar always on time" - this has not been my experience. They often run late and they often only make the announcement in German. I was on a train to Prague, and had to get a connector in Frakfurt-to-Nuremburg. The train was late and they made the announcement in German, so when the train arrived, I assumed it was the right one, although it was the prior train that had been running late... I ended up having to stay the night in Bonn. If I didn't ask a fellow passenger which train I was on, I could very well have ended up in Switzerland.

Finally, I've been through just about every country in Europe, and I'm convinced that the Germans - along with the Polish - are probably the most US-friendly nations in the EU, at least when it comes to tourists. I feel like Germany almost has more in common culture-wise with the US than the UK, language aside. They have the same sort of subtle social cues that the Americans have. I'd say they're a little bit more blunt and honest... but I think a lot of Europe is that way.

TJ, I'd love to help you out more... but unless you're willing to travel... most of my favorite places in Europe are in Sweden, Holland, France... and Barcelona.

Make sure you get a Trappist beer while you're there. While they're Belgian, it's a lot easier to get them in Germany than the US. Itt'l be a party in your mouth and everybody will be invited.

*Although any native Dutch speaker under 30 is fluent in English anyway, unless they're from one of the Netherlands Antilies islands in the Caribbean... there are 22 million Dutch speakers in the world, mostly in Holland, Belgium, Indonesia, the Caribbean and South Africa... also the Amish in Pennsylvania speak Dutch as their primary language.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #91
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
So you going to Berlin or what?
Some place called Leipzig... Never even heard of it, but have to go there for work.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #92
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Oh, so now you are saying the statement "eating dirt is good for you" is false and he is full of **** or were you describing yourself?
I am saying Santa Claus has his eye on you.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #93
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
**** Canada
so now no friends in the international community is enough ?

Bring back some duff beer while yer there
Old 06-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #94
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Some place called Leipzig... Never even heard of it, but have to go there for work.
Awesome! I hear it's great, like a mini-Berlin (creative scene, good bars, etc. - the Austin of Germany). It's near Berlin too if you have time to spare.

Pronounced Lipe-tsichh. There's a big games convention there every year.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #95
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
so now no friends in the international community is enough ?

Bring back some duff beer while yer there
nah i'm jk, we're all north americans here

sewing a canadian flag to your bag as an american is lame tho
Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #96
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Listen to me closely...

They will come. And they will take you. You shout out everything you can. How many, height, weight, clothing, hair color.

I am not a rich man...but what I do have is a particular set of skills...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #97
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Oh boy, you are headed to party central. Munich/ Bavaria during Octobrfest, but Leipzig any other time of year in Germany. There isn't a more outsider-friendly city in Germany than Leipzig.

You want a sense of home or community, try the Kildare Pub. It's an Irish bar in Leipzig. No kidding.

100 Wasser has some real class and gets rocking on weekends.

Cool destination, and ****loads of history.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #98
ol#7

They have an awesome town square in Leipzig, alot of memorals, statuary are there as well. Definitiely take a stroll into St. Nicholas church. Amazing.

If you have time, they have a place called the Museum in the round which shows all the inner workings of the former east germany secret police. Kind of different. I think Dresden (not too far away) is a more interesting city though.

From where you are going to be, I would even try and get away to Prague one day. If you do go, dont change your money (Czech Krone) at the border, you get much better rates in the city. Try a Czech Budweiser!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #99
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Been to the military terminal portion of the Airport... 4 TIMES
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:58 AM   #100
Mile High 81
Solid Starter

Hi Taco!

Enjoy your time here.

Some Tips for Leipzig (Must Sees in my opinion)

"V÷lkerschlachtdenkmal"
"Nikolaikirche"
"Auerbachs Keller" (Goethes was often there)
The city is also very nice to just walk around a bit.

If you have a chance (dont know because you are on work) go to berlin
With the train it is only 1:20 h form Leipzig. Berlin is just amazing.

http://www.bahn.de/p/view/index.shtml (Train Information)

Food:

As everybody said. Almost every Town in Germany has there own beer. So it up to you..

Two bigger brewery in East Germany are "Radeberger" or "K÷stritzer" for example.

You should eat a "bratwurst", "bratkartoffeln",and some pork roast.
Mile High 81 is offline   Reply With Quote