The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys
Default Brock Osweiler on schedule as Broncos' backup QB in team's estimation

For all the haters of the Osweiler pick.....

Brock Osweiler on schedule as Broncos' backup QB in team's estimation
POSTED: 06/07/2013 12:01:00 AM MDTBy Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

Today's questions about the Broncos come from James in Pennsylvania. To submit a question for consideration, send an e-mail to The Denver Post's Jeff Legwold.

Q: As a longtime Broncos fan in the heart of Steelers country ... I was wondering, how is Brock Osweiler looking in practices? And do you think he could play right now if he had to?

A: James, here locally there is still plenty of chatter over whether the Broncos' selection of Osweiler in the second round of the 2012 draft was a "wasted" draft pick or not.

Virtually all of that talk is misguided. Many of the people making the argument against the Broncos using a draft pick on a quarterback with Peyton Manning behind center will also admit that QB is the most important spot on an NFL team's depth chart.

So, the notion that a team should only have one option at the most important spot on the depth chart is borderline ridiculous. And the notion that a team shouldn't always be developing a player at the most important spot on the roster is also ridiculous.

And when you look at the draft board from this past April, there wasn't a quarterback on the board who the Broncos would have had graded more highly than Osweiler. So, had they not picked him a year ago because they liked what he had to offer, they would now be heading to their third draft in May 2014 without a homegrown quarterback prospect who could potentially play if Manning was injured or was no longer playing for the team.

That would be bad management. A team, at least the good ones, always has to balance the win-now demands of the coaches and players with the long-term health of the roster.

Draft-built teams stay in the hunt, year after year, but there aren't more of them because it takes discipline as well as some patience and fortitude to be one. Teams that break

Denver quarterback Brock Osweiler (Denver Post file)
the bank in free agency are usually trying to repair draft mistakes.
The Eagles, for example, went on a two-year spending binge in free agency. Why? In the 2010 and 2011 drafts, they made 24 picks combined.

Read more: Brock Osweiler on schedule as Broncos' backup QB in team's estimation - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2VX4RreB8
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Surely he means that Brock is on schedule in terms of friendship with Jack Elway, because that's the only he reason he was picked.

/jerkoff motion
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He had some quality kneel downs last year and I expect him to get more this year. HE will be a beast a kneel downs when Peyton retires.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Surely he means that Brock is on schedule in terms of friendship with Jack Elway, because that's the only he reason he was picked.

/jerkoff motion
Right cause that's what you do in the NFL - spend a 2nd round draft pick on your kid's friend so he can make some good money. To what end in your mind, just to help him out I suppose.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
He had some quality kneel downs last year and I expect him to get more this year. HE will be a beast a kneel downs when Peyton retires.

Most of the draft experts said if Brock came out this year he would have been the first qb taken, guess that kneel down quality is move valuable that previously thought.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Right cause that's what you do in the NFL - spend a 2nd round draft pick on your kid's friend so he can make some good money. To what end in your mind, just to help him out I suppose.
You misunderstood me. I completely agree with what you said above. Right or wrong, John Elway picked Brock to be the future of this franchise. I was making fun of the people who still argue that he was just picked based off the friendship with his son.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
You misunderstood me. I completely agree with what you said above. Right or wrong, John Elway picked Brock to be the future of this franchise. I was making fun of the people who still argue that he was just picked based off the friendship with his son.
Sorry! I did misinterpret what you wanted to say.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Sorry! I did misinterpret what you wanted to say.
People must use the jerk off motion in Baja to mean what they just said is serious.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
People must use the jerk off motion in Baja to mean what they just said is serious.
No, I thought he was directing that to the article - you know with all high brow attitudes concerning the fluff piece talk we have around here.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Well, in Cabo they do.....after drinking all night.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Most of the draft experts said if Brock came out this year he would have been the first qb taken, guess that kneel down quality is move valuable that previously thought.
Most draft experts have made mistakes on QBs before. I dont hate the pick just saying I wont call it a success based on one week of OTAs
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Most draft experts have made mistakes on QBs before. I dont hate the pick just saying I wont call it a success based on one week of OTAs
Fair enough.

Personally I enjoy the reports, I don't take them as gospel truth but as a fan they are something to feel good about and with all the sucky news around there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

the hate on the pick is stupid. people act as if we either didn't need a QB or thought we were going to sign a really good back up in FA.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #14
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
I hope so... cause that mean's we'll be winning.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #15
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
the hate on the pick is stupid. people act as if we either didn't need a QB or thought we were going to sign a really good back up in FA.
I read something back on Ozzie... that he wanted to stay on in AZ State for another year, but decided to enter the draft because of a new Sundevlis coach that wanted to implement a different system. So Osweiler basically cut his collegiate losses and decided to go to the NFL and start developing at a higher level.

I think he was pushed to the 2nd round by a great QB draft class, and was generally unknown because he was an underclassmen, and he was shadowed by more seasoned and more hyped QBs in Luck, Griffin, Tannehill and Wheeden.

Ozzy would have been a top 5 pick with another year in the AZ State system, and the 2013 draft class.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #16
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

From the OP linked article;

Quote:
The Eagles, for example, went on a two-year spending binge in free agency. Why? In the 2010 and 2011 drafts, they made 24 picks combined.
Of those 24 picks, just two are projected to be starters in the coming season; one of those is the kicker. And in a world where everybody demands discipline of the players on the practice field and on game day, many teams show very little of it when they are acquiring those players.
It's my favorite statistic for the why-draft-a-quarterback crowd, but when Ron Wolf essentially laid the groundwork for a Packers personnel department that has put together two Super Bowl winners as well as teams that have won at least 10 games 13 times in the last 18 seasons, he used at least a second-day pick on a quarterback seven times in an eight-year span with Brett Favre behind center.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #17
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

We are arguing about the wrong thing here.

What we should be talking about is why we didn't draft Russell Wilson instead of Osweiler.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

It will be years before we ever know if Osweiler was worth the selection. My beef with the pick wasn't the player, it was taking a guy who wasn't going to play for a while over other players who could have helped the team immediately. Here is to hoping he can be the QBOTF.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #19
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post

What we should be talking about is why we didn't draft Russell Wilson instead of Osweiler.
Because Osweiler had (has) more potential to be a franchise qb. Lots of people passed on Wilson - too short ect.

There is a good possibility Brock will be a better pro than Wilson in time.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #20
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post

Because Osweiller is younger and they wanted someone who would be ok learning behind a veteran for a few years. Then you don't have what happened to Phillip Rivers, where he's 25 when he starts and declining in just six years of starting.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

/jerkoff motion
Give me a break with this talk. No way does Elway put the team and his job on the line for a friend of his son. Not only that but has Osweiler stayed in.school another season, he Would have been the first QB drafted this year and a probable top 10 pick.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #22
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Give me a break with this talk. No way does Elway put the team and his job on the line for a friend of his son. Not only that but has Osweiler stayed in.school another season, he Would have been the first QB drafted this year and a probable top 10 pick.
See my response later in this thread, I was taking a shot at the people who think that way... I don't. I agree with you/baja/others.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Andrew Mason has a nice article on Brock with some new quotes from Brock and Elway.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...6-16720195ab29
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #24
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Edit: beat me to it BMarsh! Great article
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #25
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Because Osweiller is younger and they wanted someone who would be ok learning behind a veteran for a few years. Then you don't have what happened to Phillip Rivers, where he's 25 when he starts and declining in just six years of starting.
That, and also I think people are totally not realizing that we had to get a QB to start developing. You don't know how long Manning is going to play and there were alot of questions going into last season for him. Obviously to get a QB like him it was worth the risk. But again we needed to draft somebody just in case. I think it would have been a mistake to go after one of the 1st round QB's because you have PM but to get somebody in the 2nd you felt good about grooming was a solid move. I questioned it myself when it happened but now I really do feel it was the right choice. We had a Superbowl quality team last year. Who knows, 1 stupid mistake not made and this could have been a Superbowl winning team. Maybe the Broncos felt that way too when the draft came and they felt like they could take a QB with the 2nd pick.

As for not taking Wilson, meh, we'll see on that one. These young QB's that love to run, they're going to look great early. But as we saw with RGII and many before him (such as Vick), you can't rely on that. You will get busted up at this level. I'll gladly take the pocket passer that can move around the pocket any day over a guy who is going to take off and run.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote