The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Five Thoughts from Thursday's Practice

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...7-3db268a5802a

Quote:
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Thursday's practice was the final organized team activity of 2013. Next week's sessions fall under a different category of work (minicamp), and unlike the OTAs, are mandatory. But the tenor of the work will be the same: contact is limited and the emphasis is on instruction.
The biggest change?
"We’ll keep the players (at team headquarters) in the afternoon. Have more meetings and a second (session) -- a walk-through in the afternoon," Defensive Coordinator Jack Del Rio said. "Installation-wise, we’ve pretty much thrown everything at them over the first ten OTAs, so we’ll just pick up and really want to just finish with next week’s minicamp, finish strong this offseason."
Thursday, it was all about finishing OTAs on a high note. Here's a few thoughts from my pages of practice notes:
1. One of the most difficult roster decisions will be at wide receiver behind Eric Decker, Wes Welker and Demaryius Thomas. Tavarres King, Andre Caldwell and Greg Orton all made notable catches during Thursday's practice. Caldwell's was the most athletic; he lunged for a long pass down the middle from Brock Osweiler, beating rookie cornerback Kayvon Webster. Orton's was the most clutch; he caught a touchdown pass from Osweiler, quickly cutting inside and grabbing the ball in stride before Rahim Moore could arrive.
"It’s a deep group. I think each guy has really developed in his own way. The biggest thing for them is learning the play quicker and the mental aspect of it," Offensive Coordinator Adam Gase said.
But, he cautioned, the backup receivers aren't where the Broncos want them yet.
"I think they’re starting to head in that direction. We still have a ways to go, though," Gase said.
It might be hard to truly handicap this race until preseason games. When factoring in returner Trindon Holliday, who seems a good bet to make the team because of his special-teams prominence, the Broncos could keep six receivers and still be forced to part with at least one who quickly catches on elsewhere. That's the kind of problem you want to have, but it won't make their choice any easier.
2. Running back Knowshon Moreno continued to work in team periods, and showed no ill effects from the knee problems that held him back earlier in OTAs. Moreno showed his acceleration on a pass from Osweiler midway through the practice, quickly finding fifth gear for a solid open-field gain after the catch. It will be interesting to see where he fits in the running-back rotation next week, when Willis McGahee is expected to be on hand for the mandatory minicamp sessions after bypassing the voluntary OTAs.
3. It would be easy to overlook Tony Carter given the moves made at cornerback this offseason, and he runs the risk of being lost in an increasingly deep shuffle with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and third-round pick Kayvon Webster on hand, and even Quentin Jammer around as potential depth. But the Broncos know that in Carter, they possess someone with experience playing extensively as a third cornerback, and he capped his work Thursday by breaking up a potential touchdown pass from Manning to Eric Decker in the back of the end zone.
4. Another competition worth watching in training camp will be at safety. Quinton Carter, who has been consigned to running laps while completing his rehabilitation, should be working back into playing shape then. Recent pickup Jammer will be in the mix, and so will David Bruton, who has been rotating in with the first team during OTAs.
"David Bruton’s had a nice spring and is getting some snaps with the ones right now. He’s just earned it," Del Rio said. "He’s played so well and done so well in practice. He’s taken charge, he’s one of our better communicators and he’s been a good special teams player here."
But Bruton's play, which has been solid through OTAs, goes beyond the cerebral to his physical advantages. At 217 pounds, Bruton is the Broncos' heaviest safety. He's also arguably their fastest. Both came in handy when he swooped in to break up a potential Manning pass to tight end Julius Thomas, who is 38 pounds heavier than Bruton.
“It (size) is an advantage. I feel like my speed would probably be the bigger advantage," Bruton said.
5. Holliday will get every opportunity to be more than a returner. Given the game-day roster crunch -- just 46 active spots -- the Broncos need him to provide some potential offensive contributions. During OTAs, he's made some nice catches on offense, but his Thursday was punctuated by a drop of a potential touchdown pass from Osweiler, who found him deep down the sideline.
Holliday is the fastest player on the roster, and plays like it; he gets a great jump off the snap and his straight-ahead speed might be the best in the NFL -- which you'd expect, given that he was once a world-class sprinter who made it to the 2008 U.S. Olympic trials. But until he puts the bobbles behind him, the questions that arose last year during his spate of fumbles will linger.
LRtagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

I would love to see Bruton get somr playing time on.defense. he plays so hard and fast on ST that it would be nice to see that on defense as well
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I would love to see Bruton get somr playing time on.defense. he plays so hard and fast on ST that it would be nice to see that on defense as well
No you don't. Bruton's fast and strong, but he can't change directions.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
schaaf

I literally think If you askd Bruton to backpedal and turn his hips and run he would trip 10 times out of 10. He cannot change directions at all. I would love for him to be good there because he is big and fast but that is it.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
I literally think If you askd Bruton to backpedal and turn his hips and run he would trip 10 times out of 10. He cannot change directions at all. I would love for him to be good there because he is big and fast but that is it.
I love the recognition from Elway and co that special teams captains are worth a decent salary even if thats all they do. Ken Burns and Detron Smith come to mind, as well as Shanny's refusal to consider ST players only and resultant terror that entered my heart every kickoff and punt we made
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

They make me nervous talking about cutting Holliday, he needs to be kept for returns.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
They make me nervous talking about cutting Holliday, he needs to be kept for returns.
I don't think they were talking about cutting him
Old 06-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Can someone named Orton survive on the Broncos?
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Omg if someone says Holliday has to fight for a spot, they should be punched in the ****ing dick.

I think we can all agree Holliday is clutch as **** and most of the reason we were even in a position to lose the game against Baltimore.

He has a lifetime pass in my book.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

I like what I hear concerning Bruton. Despite whatever limitations he may have, or had, he is emerging as a vocal leader in the secondary, and that is valued in this the defense.

I don't know if he will beat out Adams, but if he did, then that would be an upgrade, and I would be all for it. But at the very least, maybe he gets more work in certain packages, and becomes a valuable backup. Hard to argue with that.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
No you don't. Bruton's fast and strong, but he can't change directions.
Yeah, Bruton's COD and coverage skills leave a ton to be desired.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

* Bruton may not have great change of direction but that isn't a must for a safety. There have been many great safety's that weren't awesome at changing direction, and with even less speed then Bruton. John Lynch comes to mind. Safety is more about having a feel and reading the defense and taking good angles, and of course sure tackling. That said, I'm not sure Bruton even has the best of feel back there. He's had multiple chances but maybe he's learned a few things, we'll see.

* Holiday isn't going anywhere and he doesn't even need to be included in the offense much. That's just normal coaching talk about wanting to get more out of players. The Broncos have seen him just go beast mode, in the biggest of games. Don't nobody go get all nervous. He's a lock to make the team, easy style.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #13
SlyEli

Bruton is a joke as a Safety. No hips, whatsoever. He got destroyed in the playoff game against the pats two years ago. I'm not a huge fan of Rahim Moore, but Bruton makes moore look like an all-pro by comparison.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #14
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

I love Burton as a gunner and a straight line special teams guy. As a safety, not so much. NFL passing games are far too sophisticated and the rules far too receiver friendly to have him play a significant role on defense.

You go hit kick returner hard now.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #15
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
i am not that concerned with coverage skills. i like the idea of putting him in the box like Lynch and Dawkins did and let him blow up runners. he is one of the very best pure tacklers on the roster and i would like to see him on the field more often.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #16
NorCalBronco7

Quote:
i am not that concerned with coverage skills. i like the idea of putting him in the box like Lynch and Dawkins did and let him blow up runners. he is one of the very best pure tacklers on the roster and i would like to see him on the field more often.
Im with you on wanting a safety that can control the box. I love a safety that can blitz too. Teams are shying away from these guys though. Its seems to me teams, all things being even, that the coverage guy gets the job, even at the traditional SS spot.

Carter has the ability to play in the box imo. He also showed flashes in coverage his rookie year. Im exited to see what he does in TC. I know many here arent thrilled about the guy, and for a lot of legit reasons, but I think he can be the punishing SS who a lot of us want. We'll see.

Bruton stands no chance imo. Every time Ive seen him play, hes done really poor in coverage. And you guys are right, his hips are just god aweful. Hes like a poor mans Taylor Mays.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
i am not that concerned with coverage skills. i like the idea of putting him in the box like Lynch and Dawkins did and let him blow up runners.
an in-the-box safety isn't as important these days for a number of reasons. the whole SS/FS designation is becoming antiquated imo. these days a successful defense needs 2 safeties who can cover & cover well most downs.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
I like what I hear concerning Bruton. Despite whatever limitations he may have, or had, he is emerging as a vocal leader in the secondary, and that is valued in this the defense.

I don't know if he will beat out Adams, but if he did, then that would be an upgrade, and I would be all for it. But at the very least, maybe he gets more work in certain packages, and becomes a valuable backup. Hard to argue with that.
lol sorry this just reminds me of the "teams who score the most usually win the game" comments
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #19
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Omg if someone says Holliday has to fight for a spot, they should be punched in the ****ing dick.

I think we can all agree Holliday is clutch as **** and most of the reason we were even in a position to lose the game against Baltimore.

He has a lifetime pass in my book.
Agree 100%
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
lol sorry this just reminds me of the "teams who score the most usually win the game" comments
I agree, but I don't have a chalkboard, which is needed all too often here on the Mane. You know, with the resident experts that "don't like this guy at this position" or whatever, sometimes the obvious needs to be pointed out because apparently it went over thier head.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote