The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #51
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
That depends on how good you think Brock is going to be. Clearly the Broncos brain trust think he will become a franchise type talent thus worth a 2nd rd pick. The early reports have him vastly improved and it's been speculated he would have been a very high pick this year. With Peyton running the team I am sure Elway figured we would not have another shot at drafting a prospect the caliber of Brock with our drafting position throughout the Manning era. I'm thinking we got a top five pick qb a year early in the second round and will not smell an opportunity like that until Manning retires and then we would need a loosing season to have a similar shot at a top talent who would not have the benefit of learning behind a Manning. After some early misgivings I am so very pleased Elway is running things and not some of the knee jerk thinking fellows here.
Exactly this.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #52
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
What part about drafting a player in the second round who is not going to play for 3-4 years being poor resource management do you get?

Terrible ROI. It only becomes worth it if he pans out. Sorry, I am not really interested in waiting 3-4 years to get a contribution from a top draft choice. Either should a team who is "close" to winning the Super Bowl. Hence why Xanders was canned. He wanted Lavonte David, spoke up about it, got ****-dished out of town.

It will be fun to revisit this chat years down the road when Osweiler craps out of the league.
See I could almost see your point, but then elway has filled in this roster very well. And we are being picked to go deep in the playoffs.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #53
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yes it will in the mean time we have your draft day posts to amuse us.
call the president get the national guard. You are killing req...mugahaba
Old 06-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #54
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Before the 2012 draft, I felt like we could wait on picking a QB that year, and just do it this year. After seeing what was available for QB's in the 2013 draft, I am happy to say Elway was right, and I was wrong. And who knows what will be available for a team with the 32nd pick in each round next year?

BTW, we went 13-3 and was 38 sec.'s away from playing in the AFC Championship. What late second round pick in 2012 would have been enough to beat the Ravens in that game?
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #55
R-Mac

If the Broncos had drafted Lavonte David, he would likely become Woodyard's backup. I certainly do not want Woodyard on the bench. Both could be the nickel LBs, but then the Broncos added Danny Trevathan who is a similar player and an excellent choice late in the draft. Considering the importance of the QB position and the uncertainty that surrounded Manning at that point, Osweiler was worth the investment.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #56
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

A worthy clipboard holder indeed.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #57
broncs2bowl
Ring of Famer

^Club of Death^

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Before the 2012 draft, I felt like we could wait on picking a QB that year, and just do it this year. After seeing what was available for QB's in the 2013 draft, I am happy to say Elway was right, and I was wrong. And who knows what will be available for a team with the 32nd pick in each round next year?

BTW, we went 13-3 and was 38 sec.'s away from playing in the AFC Championship. What late second round pick in 2012 would have been enough to beat the Ravens in that game?
I really support Elway's decision to draft and develop a QBOTF in Osweiler

BUT a safety in the second round could have helped =P
broncs2bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #58
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
who would you rather have in his place and who would be your choice to learn under Manning. For the record. ;-)
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #59
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Last years draft was poor in many regards. I thought the thrust of the draft centered around positioning to take Osweiler, in the second round it just wasn't smart for where we were headed as a team in a win now scenario. Hillman is undersized and unimpressive. Wish they would have stayed where they were in the first, taken Doug Martin. I don't know why the Broncos always seem to overthink the drafts. In fairness to Elway I haven't been too impressed the last decade with our selections.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #60
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Quote:
Why waste a second round selection on a player who is never going to be a legit QB in the NFL?
Tebow was drafted in the first round.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #61
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Last years draft was poor in many regards. I thought the thrust of the draft centered around positioning to take Osweiler, in the second round it just wasn't smart for where we were headed as a team in a win now scenario. Hillman is undersized and unimpressive. Wish they would have stayed where they were in the first, taken Doug Martin. I don't know why the Broncos always seem to overthink the drafts. In fairness to Elway I haven't been too impressed the last decade with our selections.
Derek Wolfe has been getting some pretty rave reviews. Apparently he wants to be a JJ Watt type impact. Having a nasty RB would be nice, but hopefully Ball becomes just that.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #62
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Really don't understand why this is not obvious to all the regulars here.

It is because the Broncos didn't draft the guy they wanted the Broncos to draft.....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #63
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Why waste a second round selection on a player who is never going to be a legit QB in the NFL?
I thought we used a 1st round pick on Tebow?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #64
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncs2bowl View Post

Who? Besides, if this regime thought safety was such a big hole in the the defense, why didn't they draft one this year?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #65
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
It is because the Broncos didn't draft the guy they wanted the Broncos to draft.....
...and there in lies the controversy.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #66
Agamemnon

We really are not going to know what we have in this kid until he replaces Manning as the starter. Seriously, how he plays in practice or even the preseason means little aside from giving a bit of hope.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #67
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
We really are not going to know what we have in this kid until he replaces Manning as the starter. Seriously, how he plays in practice or even the preseason means little aside from giving a bit of hope.
That's true...but it's just as ignorant to say he won't ever become anything special too. We'll never know until that day comes when he's running through the tunnel with the stadium speakers blaring "and starting at QB, Brock Osweiler!"
Old 06-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #68
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
That's true...but it's just as ignorant to say he won't ever become anything special too. We'll never know until that day comes when he's running through the tunnel with the stadium speakers blaring "and starting at QB, Brock Osweiler!"
My point was meant to go both directions. We really have no way of knowing if he's going to be great, terrible, or something in between until he's the starter.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #69
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
who would you rather have in his place and who would be your choice to learn under Manning. For the record. ;-)
I advocated Kirk Cousins through the process. I feel he can be a starter and would have made a good back up. Did well in place of RGIII.

This year is loaded at QB. Three or four guys who are lights out, but will command high picks. I dont blame Elway for going out and getting a guy with great tools. I want Brock to be the guy. He has a cannon. It is a good situation. Never denied that ever, just questioned resource allocation.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #70
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
My point was meant to go both directions. We really have no way of knowing if he's going to be great, terrible, or something in between until he's the starter.

I know....sorry if my post implied otherwise.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #71
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncs2bowl View Post

Carter and Moore. I see the tounge so I don't know if you are serious
Old 06-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #72
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I advocated Kirk Cousins through the process. I feel he can be a starter and would have made a good back up. Did well in place of RGIII.

This year is loaded at QB. Three or four guys who are lights out, but will command high picks. I dont blame Elway for going out and getting a guy with great tools. I want Brock to be the guy. He has a cannon. It is a good situation. Never denied that ever, just questioned resource allocation.
The draft is just one pool to find players...I don't know if brock is gonna be the guy. But I can't blame elway for getting a player who could have been a top ten this year. In the second round. Especially since the FO has done a good job of filling the roster holes
Old 06-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #73
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

He could have been Top 10, he may have not been. This class was very weak, so saying that isn't really a (+) point for him. Would it have been because he was a superior prospect who performed well in his last year at ASU or would it have been because he was the "best" in a terrible class for QBs? Perhaps a mixture of both.

The way things ended for him at ASU didn't really invest much confidence in him coming back, so he came out. He was up and down the whole year. Very raw. Has a lot to learn. Hope he turns out to be worth it.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #74
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
If he leads this team to the playoffs in 2 years when Manning is gone, I'd love for you to make a new post and eat your crow properly. Will you do that? Why the F are so concerned about him holding a clipboard for a few years while he leans. Did wonders for A. Rogers, and he was a 1st round pick. Damn dude, you are totally wrong on this. It was a mid 2nd round pick. A few more spots and we're talking 3rd rounder. Obviously Elway was right. The team last year easily had the tools to win the whole thing, even with the guy on the bench holding the clipboard.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #75
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/O...No-18-94169767
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote