The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #26
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
As for not taking Wilson, meh, we'll see on that one. These young QB's that love to run, they're going to look great early. But as we saw with RGII and many before him (such as Vick), you can't rely on that. You will get busted up at this level. I'll gladly take the pocket passer that can move around the pocket any day over a guy who is going to take off and run.
Very true, and this is why Wilson is different than most "running" QBs. He can beat you with his legs, but he doesn't need to. More often than not, he uses his quickness to give him extra time to throw, not to pick up cheap yardage.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #27
spiralism

It's been said a few times but Osweiler would have been a first rounder in this years class. Great move drafting him and trying to groom a successor, could you imagine if we landed in a Favre/Rodgers situation?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #28
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
It's been said a few times but Osweiler would have been a first rounder in this years class. Great move drafting him and trying to groom a successor, could you imagine if we landed in a Favre/Rodgers situation?
After Prisco visited Broncos OTA's, he thought Brock would've been the #1 overall pick this year had he stayed in school.

@PriscoCBS Brock Osweiler looks much improved for Broncos. I think he would have been top pick this year if he stayed in school.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #29
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

By the time he's ready to actually play (Peyton retires) his contract will be over. Second rounders should be on the field helping a team in a win now mode, not kneeling down or holding a clip board.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #30
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
By the time he's ready to actually play (Peyton retires) his contract will be over. Second rounders should be on the field helping a team in a win now mode, not kneeling down or holding a clip board.
Packers fans probably hated the Rodgers pick when it happened too
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #31
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
you under value the opportunity to be mentored by Manning also if Peyton suffers an injury Brock is ready in his second season to step and a be a viable back up, already a better option than Henie ( or some other retread) which is what we would be trotting out there if we did not have Brock
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #32
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Packers fans probably hated the Rodgers pick when it happened too
No, most were pleased that they got a guy who was considered a Top 10 selection to be the heir to Favre. It worked out well for them.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #33
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
you under value the opportunity to be mentored by Manning also if Peyton suffers an injury Brock is ready in his second season to step and a be a viable back up, already a better option than Henie ( or some other retread) which is what we would be trotting out there if we did not have Brock
A mid-to-late round selection could have filled the same void such as Kirk Cousins. Nobody undervalues the opportunity for a player to learn from one of the all-time greats. We question why a team would use a second rounder on a QB in the same year they just signed Manning to a deal worth mega millions. Not a very good use of resources for a team who is trying to win now.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #34
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
A mid-to-late round selection could have filled the same void such as Kirk Cousins. Nobody undervalues the opportunity for a player to learn from one of the all-time greats. We question why a team would use a second rounder on a QB in the same year they just signed Manning to a deal worth mega millions. Not a very good use of resources for a team who is trying to win now.
Not really,when you look at how things worked out in GB,and that Elway has to look at things long term. Elway also had to take into account,what if Manning couldn't play at the level he was expected to play or got injured. As great as manning is,it was still a big gamble at the time.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #35
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Not really,when you look at how things worked out in GB,and that Elway has to look at things long term. Elway also had to take into account,what if Manning couldn't play at the level he was expected to play or got injured. As great as manning is,it was still a big gamble at the time.
The Favre/Rodgers situation is about the only one you can point to. Just because that worked out doesn't mean this will. There is no historical trend to look at, only that scenario. FWIW, they were also getting a Top 10 talent in the 20s with the selection of Rodgers.

And yes, it WAS a poor use of resources as it stands NOW. The only way it ever turns out to be a good selection is if Brock cements himself as a QBOTF with the team. That remains to be seen. I certainly HOPE so.

As I said before -- if you are worried Manning is going to go down, use a fourth rounder on a guy like Cousins. Bring in a FA that can compete. If Manning would have went down, we wouldn't have been a contender. If Manning goes down this year and Brock steps in, I highly doubt we will be in contention.

Don't use a Top 60 selection on a guy who is not going to contribute for YEARS. I would have much preferred the team waited until this draft (2014) to have gone after a QB. I am much pleased with Dysert in the 7th round of 2013. That should have been the situation (comparatively) that we rolled with in the first place.

Sorry. You don't burn a 2nd rounder on a QB when you just signed Peyton Manning. The injury concerns, etc. are just an excuse. They evaluated him and liked what they saw enough to give him beacoup bucks. Unless Osweiler becomes a good QB for us, they **** the bed with the pick. That is the bottom line.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #36
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Wilson was too old and too different of a qb to be a good groomsman to manning. Kirk is a career back up. We made the proper choice in hindsight. I hated it then though.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #37
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:

That depends on how good you think Brock is going to be. Clearly the Broncos brain trust think he will become a franchise type talent thus worth a 2nd rd pick. The early reports have him vastly improved and it's been speculated he would have been a very high pick this year. With Peyton running the team I am sure Elway figured we would not have another shot at drafting a prospect the caliber of Brock with our drafting position throughout the Manning era. I'm thinking we got a top five pick qb a year early in the second round and will not smell an opportunity like that until Manning retires and then we would need a loosing season to have a similar shot at a top talent who would not have the benefit of learning behind a Manning. After some early misgivings I am so very pleased Elway is running things and not some of the knee jerk thinking fellows here.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #38
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The Favre/Rodgers situation is about the only one you can point to. Just because that worked out doesn't mean this will. There is no historical trend to look at, only that scenario. FWIW, they were also getting a Top 10 talent in the 20s with the selection of Rodgers.

And yes, it WAS a poor use of resources as it stands NOW. The only way it ever turns out to be a good selection is if Brock cements himself as a QBOTF with the team. That remains to be seen. I certainly HOPE so.

As I said before -- if you are worried Manning is going to go down, use a fourth rounder on a guy like Cousins. Bring in a FA that can compete. If Manning would have went down, we wouldn't have been a contender. If Manning goes down this year and Brock steps in, I highly doubt we will be in contention.

Don't use a Top 60 selection on a guy who is not going to contribute for YEARS. I would have much preferred the team waited until this draft (2014) to have gone after a QB. I am much pleased with Dysert in the 7th round of 2013. That should have been the situation (comparatively) that we rolled with in the first place.

Sorry. You don't burn a 2nd rounder on a QB when you just signed Peyton Manning. The injury concerns, etc. are just an excuse. They evaluated him and liked what they saw enough to give him beacoup bucks. Unless Osweiler becomes a good QB for us, they **** the bed with the pick. That is the bottom line.
They signed PM to a yr to yr deal. Dysert? 7th round picks are for extra bodies in TC. Dysert won't be on the roster come game 1. Why waste a 3rd or fourth rd pick on a perennial back up in cousins when you draft a future starter in Brock in the 2nd. The broncos have the luxury of developing a franchise QB,while PM finishes his career.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #39
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
They signed PM to a yr to yr deal. Dysert? 7th round picks are for extra bodies in TC. Dysert won't be on the roster come game 1. Why waste a 3rd or fourth rd pick on a perennial back up in cousins when you draft a future starter in Brock in the 2nd. The broncos have the luxury of developing a franchise QB,while PM finishes his career.
Really don't understand why this is not obvious to all the regulars here.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #40
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Why waste a second round selection on a player who is never going to be a legit QB in the NFL?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #41
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Why waste a second round selection on a player who is never going to be a legit QB in the NFL?

If I were you I would consider my track record before I call that a lock.

think meth wolfe
Old 06-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #42
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Really don't understand why this is not obvious to all the regulars here.
What part about drafting a player in the second round who is not going to play for 3-4 years being poor resource management do you get?

Terrible ROI. It only becomes worth it if he pans out. Sorry, I am not really interested in waiting 3-4 years to get a contribution from a top draft choice. Either should a team who is "close" to winning the Super Bowl. Hence why Xanders was canned. He wanted Lavonte David, spoke up about it, got ****-dished out of town.

It will be fun to revisit this chat years down the road when Osweiler craps out of the league.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #43
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
What part about drafting a player in the second round who is not going to play for 3-4 years being poor resource management do you get?

Terrible ROI. It only becomes worth it if he pans out. Sorry, I am not really interested in waiting 3-4 years to get a contribution from a top draft choice. Either should a team who is "close" to winning the Super Bowl. Hence why Xanders was canned. He wanted Lavonte David, spoke up about it, got ****-dished out of town.

It will be fun to revisit this chat years down the road when Osweiler craps out of the league.

Yes it will in the mean time we have your draft day posts to amuse us.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #44
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
If I were you I would consider my track record before I call that a lock.

think meth wolfe
Lol. I am not really worried about my track record on prospect evaluation. My beef wasn't with Derek as much as it was not going for someone I felt was a better fit for the team. I ate the crow on Derek and was very pleased with how he performed.

BTW, go up and dig up all the posts I have made since I was here on prospects I like for every year and it will be littered with perennial pro-bowlers and all-pros. Then reconsider what you just said.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #45
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
You might not even be around by then. Who knows how many times you will say you are leaving the boards, only to roll back for more.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #46
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
You might not even be around by then. Who knows how many times you will say you are leaving the boards, only to roll back for more.
Looks like I touched a nerve.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #47
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:

Terrible ROI.
only if you are focusing on immediate returns, which obviously Elway and co. weren't. The ROI could be through the roof if you are looking at the long-term model--which is obviously what the Broncos are doing.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #48
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:

That isn't what I heard. Elway clearly ordered sausage, and once again Xanders delivered pepperoni w/ mushrooms. A big no-no in Dove Valley.

What's wrong with you? Everyone on the Mane knows Xanders was nothing more than the pizza guy. If it's on the Mane, it's true.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #49
R-Mac

Would you rather have a 2nd round pick that is not going to play for 3-4 years or leave the franchise without a trustworthy replacement when Manning retires? Osweiler is using this time to learn the system, develop study habits, know the defensive coverages and tendencies in the NFL, get used to the speed of the game and build chemistry with the roster. By the time Osweiler's number is called, he will likely be ready to hit the ground running. Manning gave the team time to develop a quarterback and Osweiler is being prepared to keep the Broncos competitive in a near future. Instead of having to worry about finding a starting quarterback in the draft or free agency, Elway will have someone ready to take over the most important position in the game.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #50
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Doh! Spicy post is spicy.

That being said, if Twilight pans out I will be very happy and I'll admit I was wrong about the pick. And, I will be extremely happy to do so!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote