The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #26
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Isn't it nice to have a loaded passing attack and a loaded running game.........

If this defense can take a couple of steps forward we got something here.
Err...the #2 overall defense isn't good enough with this offense?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #27
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
No one is going to be a true feature back in this offense. Ball will average 15-18 carries a game. Hillman 10-12. Hester and Ball or whoever is the number 4 back can split 15 carries a game.

McGahee and his knee and fumbling can't be counted on and neither can injury prone Moreno.
I'm pretty sure Ball was drafted to be a feature back. If he doesn't become one I would guess that Elway will be disappointed.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #28
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I'm pretty sure Ball was drafted to be a feature back. If he doesn't become one I would guess that Elway will be disappointed.
Wouldn't we all?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #29
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Wouldn't we all?
Apparently not. Many here seem to expect him to be part of a tandem or even a committee. Look at his running style and body of work in college, I think the guy needs to become a feature back or he will be a disappointment.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #30
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Both sides of the ball have a lot to live up to. I don't ever remember having such a solid team though. Maybe not the best but definitely one of the deepest in talent.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #31
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Err...the #2 overall defense isn't good enough with this offense?

That #2 rated defense cut its teeth on chumps for most of the year..............then along came the playoffs and folded like a cheap tent.

Stupid take and BS for believing those rankings...............
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #32
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Perhaps not, but I do know the difference between 6-7 and "hundreds".....
I think it is clear that you are aloof to most things. Stop while you are already behind.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #33
Bronco Yoda

Thanks for everything McGahee.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #34
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Wonder what happens if Lance Ball makes the club again.
I know everyone loves to hate on Lance Ball, but the reason he keeps making the team is because he plays special teams, which you need from your third or fourth string back. He very well could make the club again for that reason.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #35
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
That #2 rated defense cut its teeth on chumps for most of the year..............then along came the playoffs and folded like a cheap tent.

Stupid take and BS for believing those rankings...............

Every team has bad games, and every team's rankings offensively and defensively are inflated by feeding on bad teams. And really, if look at how our defense performed in that game you quickly realize that virtually all of Baltimore's success came on a handful of fluke plays, plays that the Broncos had shut down all year against better receivers and better QBs. But if you want to hold on to the retarded belief that last year's defense wasn't good, and in particular wasn't good enough to win a Super Bowl with a top of the line offense, I can't stop you.

Edit: Another way to put it into perspective is to look at the Super Bowl. Virtually no one is going to argue that the 49ers don't have a great defense, and the Ravens offense scored nearly as much on them as they did on the Broncos. Who has the stupid take again?

Last edited by Agamemnon; 06-06-2013 at 07:22 AM..
Old 06-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #36
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I know everyone loves to hate on Lance Ball, but the reason he keeps making the team is because he plays special teams, which you need from your third or fourth string back. He very well could make the club again for that reason.
You are correct but I think Ball's time might be done. He is due to make over $1 million and Denver has some DBs that can play special teams. With Champ's age, Carter, Harris about to be FA I think Denver might keep 11 DBs this year and that extra guy could play Ball's the special teams spots.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #37
socalorado
Ring of Famer

MoneyBall. OROY
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #38
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Ball was drafted to be the main back in the offense. The top carry getter. A feature back to me is a guy not splitting carries. The fact that both Ball and Hillman are going to get double digit carries every week means neither is a true feature back.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #39
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Ball was drafted to be the main back in the offense. The top carry getter. A feature back to me is a guy not splitting carries. The fact that both Ball and Hillman are going to get double digit carries every week means neither is a true feature back.
That's not a fact.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #40
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Montee Ball and Hillman are obviously locks to make the roster.

I think Moreno and Willis are competing for one non-special teams playing RB spot. I think Willis is the better short yardage/goal-line back and he beats out Knowshon.

Lance Ball and Hester are competing for a 4th RB/ special teams utility player. For whatever reason, the staff seems to really like Lance Ball.

In the end, I think it's Montee Ball, Hillman, McGahee, and Lance Ball that make the final roster.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #41
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Montee Ball and Hillman are obviously locks to make the roster.

I think Moreno and Willis are competing for one non-special teams playing RB spot. I think Willis is the better short yardage/goal-line back and he beats out Knowshon.

Lance Ball and Hester are competing for a 4th RB/ special teams utility player. For whatever reason, the staff seems to really like Lance Ball.

In the end, I think it's Montee Ball, Hillman, McGahee, and Lance Ball that make the final roster.
I'd switch out McGahee with KM. Montee replaces what McGahee does. McGahee fumbles came toward the end of the season with I see as a sign of age creeping in and wearing him down. KM is our best pass blocker and showed good running skills when he replaced mcGahee.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #42
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I hope we have another RB waiting to replace Moreno when his knee falls off after 20 touches.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #43
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I hope we have another RB waiting to replace Moreno when his knee falls off after 20 touches.

Clearly that is the number one concern with Moreno but now can't we say the same for McGahee.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #44
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Clearly that is the number one concern with Moreno but now can't we say the same for McGahee.
I trust McGahee to get more touches between injuries then Moreno. I mean Moreno hasn't even been cleared after his not so common procedure.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #45
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
I trust McGahee to get more touches between injuries then Moreno. I mean Moreno hasn't even been cleared after his not so common procedure.
Well I guess we will see in TC
Old 06-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #46
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
That's how I see it too. Also, quite honestly Willis runs more violently and imo harder than Knowshon does, which I think contributed to the fumbling. Anyway, KM and McGahee are basically interchangeable at this point. Neither guy is going to be the feature back here again. It comes down to this imo. . . Ball is out and it's 3 and 1 who do you think is more likely to get the yard in his absence. I'd take WM over KM 10 times out of 10.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #47
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Backfield Depth Might Be True Key to Broncos Super Bowl Hopes

The situation in the Broncos backfield is a bit murkier at this point with OTAs just underway, but that murkiness has nothing to do with talent or depth. Coming off a season in which the team didn't have a 1,000-yard rusher, Denver has eight backs on the roster looking to establish themselves as essential cogs in an already dynamic offense. Familiar faces like Willis McGahee and Knowshon Moreno, along with younger options like Ronnie Hillman and Montee Ball, have the backfield in a state of flux.

Will the team transition away from the veteran and oft injured McGahee? Will Moreno continue what was a strong end to the 2012 season after a frustrating and injury prone start to his career? Or might second-year speedster Hillman or rookie Ball receive the lion's share of touches?

Also in the mix on the current roster are Jacob Hester, Lance Ball, C.J. Anderson, and Jeremiah Johnson.

If you base the decision purely on overall career production, McGahee would be the pick. But a litany of knee injuries and a $2.5 million salary might leave the veteran grinder on the outside looking in when Denver kicks off its regular season against the defending Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens on Thursday, September 5. At 31, McGahee is also the oldest running back on the roster.

On the flip side the youngest back is 21-year old Hillman, who is entering his second season in Denver. The buzz surrounding Hillman has always focused on his blistering speed and struggles to pass protect, but he has bulked up from 180 to 195 pounds this offseason which could be a clear sign he's committed to improving his all-around game instead of relying purely on quickness.

Drafted in the second round out of Wisconsin where he averaged 134 yards on 24 carries during his final two seasons in Madison, Montee Ball has already earned some first team reps at OTAs. Ball provides a tough, downhill running style that compliments Hillman's slash and burn game. The two young backs might also provide the Broncos with the balance they need to spread the offense for Manning's prolific gun-slinging ways.

The biggest x-factor could be Moreno, who came on strong in McGahee's absence late last season. Expectations have been high for the former Georgia Bulldog since being selected twelfth overall in the 2009 NFL draft, but injuries have temporarily derailed Moreno's burst through the hole to reaching his full potential up to this point. Entering his fifth season in the league, Moreno might be the most complete back on the team with enormous upside should he finally reach his full potential as he hinted late last season.

The rest of a decent yahoo article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/backfie...141500525.html
Love to hear Hillman adding weight and muscle, 15lbs seems alot to add so quick but then I have no appetite.

I like what I saw with Hillman, if he can bulk up and not lose his speed he will turn a lot of heads this year and make KM and McGahee expendable.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #48
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:

Every team has bad games, and every team's rankings offensively and defensively are inflated by feeding on bad teams. And really, if look at how our defense performed in that game you quickly realize that virtually all of Baltimore's success came on a handful of fluke plays, plays that the Broncos had shut down all year against better receivers and better QBs. But if you want to hold on to the retarded belief that last year's defense wasn't good, and in particular wasn't good enough to win a Super Bowl with a top of the line offense, I can't stop you.

Edit: Another way to put it into perspective is to look at the Super Bowl. Virtually no one is going to argue that the 49ers don't have a great defense, and the Ravens offense scored nearly as much on them as they did on the Broncos. Who has the stupid take again?

For pity sake....when we played Houston and AtLANTA BOTH OF WHICH ARE PLAYOFF TEAMS HOW DID THE DEFENSE FAIR ?

Exactly............
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:53 AM   #49
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I'd switch out McGahee with KM. Montee replaces what McGahee does. McGahee fumbles came toward the end of the season with I see as a sign of age creeping in and wearing him down. KM is our best pass blocker and showed good running skills when he replaced mcGahee.
McGhaee won't be wearing down this year because he won't be getting nears as many carries as last year. He is better than Moreno and if Ball goes down I'd rather have McGahee in the game, so I hope he makes the roster ahead of Moreno.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #50
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
MoneyBall. OROY
I don't know, he has a duck foot and 1 pointy knee...
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote