The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Default Memphis TN

It's slow around here so....

Anybody every been here?? My finance got a summer internship here as an ICU nurse and it's looking like we will be moving here in December if I can land a teaching/coaching job.

I've spent time in Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Boston, and Miniapolos. On the trip out here I've spent at least a day and checked out Lincoln and Omaha Nebraska, Kansas City, and St Louis. I grew up in Montana so my experience of cities are one week or less and not actually living in them. Every city has a uniqueness about itself, I've been able to picture myself in every city... Sports/microbrews/good neighborhoods/cool uptowns.

So basically what I'm gettin at.... Is there ANYWHERE in this town that is not a ****pile I saw the spurs beat the grizzlies in game 4 and a very nice triple a field, other then that... nothing. Any help
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

There's a Krystal burger right down the street from Graceland. I almost died there from a combination of the food and the uppity native people.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I was stationed in Millington for "A" school in the Navy. Here are a few of my experiences during my almost 9 months there:

- I left without a dime saved, thanks Beale Street
- I got to meet BB King and his son at his bar
- Stay away from club 616...just do it
- I had a Marine buddy try and cover up the fact that he had to puke at Silky O'Sullivan's by attempting to throw up in a cup instead of getting up to go to the bathroom. The 2 chicks with us, were not fooled by his ploy.
- Enjoy the BBQ...seriously
- The best run I had there was when I was banging this sorority chick from Memphis State. Same Marine buddy of mine from above, insanely drunk and I had to carry him across their campus once to get him away from some "husky" gal...the entire walk he was calling me the wrong name, but it rhymed with my name.
- Yeah, it's a ****pile

Last edited by Rabb; 05-30-2013 at 08:08 AM..
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Tim

Memphrica has good bbq
Old 05-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword View Post

Anybody every been here?? My finance got a summer internship here as an ICU nurse and it's looking like we will be moving here in December if I can land a teaching/coaching job.

I've spent time in Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Boston, and Miniapolos. On the trip out here I've spent at least a day and checked out Lincoln and Omaha Nebraska, Kansas City, and St Louis. I grew up in Montana so my experience of cities are one week or less and not actually living in them. Every city has a uniqueness about itself, I've been able to picture myself in every city... Sports/microbrews/good neighborhoods/cool uptowns.

So basically what I'm gettin at.... Is there ANYWHERE in this town that is not a ****pile I saw the spurs beat the grizzlies in game 4 and a very nice triple a field, other then that... nothing. Any help
My Dad used to live in Memphis. I have been there many times but not since 2001. I did not like the town at all, sorry.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
mellow mood
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I live in memphis and have most of my life (went to school in missoula for a while) so hopefully I can help a little.

My wife and I are currently in the process of fixing our house up so we can move east to NC. Out door life is pretty non existent here and honestly i just need more. Memphis is a rough town, with bad crime but a lot of fun is to be had here. I'll list some restaurants, area's, and other general stuff you would most certainly enjoy.

Shelby Farms Park - very big park with tons to do. (i mtn bike here)
http://www.shelbyfarmspark.org/

If you are here this summer check out Live at the Botanic gardens. You can bring a picnic, cooler and chairs. Pretty nice environment to chill and see some music.
http://memphisbotanicgarden.com/liveatthegarden

For other concerts and music check out Minglewood Hall
http://www.minglewoodhall.com/
and
The Historic Shell has free shows all summer long which is pretty damn sweet
http://levittshell.org/

You must take a visit or three at Stax Museum. Old memphis soul including Otis, Isaac, Aretha, Staples singers etc etc. Even if its not your style id recommend a visit.
http://www.staxmuseum.com/

Sun Studios is also another very cool place to check out
http://www.sunstudio.com/

Our zoo is also very nice and is next to Overton park which is another cool park in the heart of the city.

There are other festivals and such that happen around town throughout the year that are a hell of a time. Music fest, BBQ fest, Hot wing Fest, Italian Fest (this weekend), Crawfish fest are just a handful.

The best thing memphis has to offer is food and night life. I could go on and on and on about restaurants and bars. I'll list some of my favorites but there are plenty more out there.

Boscos - it is a brewery and has good food. Located in overtone square in midtown. For brewery beer to go check out Ghost river downtown as it is the same owner.

Local - Located in Midtown
Iris - located in midtwon
Bari - located in midtown
The arcade - for breakfast located downtown
Itta Bena - located downtown third floor of BB Kings. Lots of folks dont know about this place.
Half Shell - east memphis for brunch
Bayou bar and grill - located in midtown. good for everything
Bardog - dowtown night time bar
andrewmichaels italian kitchen - east memphis
brooklyn bridge - east memphis
Finos - midtown for lunch
Gus's - best fried checken ever

That is just a few so if you want more let me know.

Edit - guess i should have listed BBQ joints
Rendevous - downtown - kind of a touristy spot
Blues city - on beale, goo BBq late night if on beale.
BBQ Shop - one of my favorites - midtown
Cozy Corner - downtown in a not so good area, but dame good (bbq cornish game hen)
Central BBQ - midtown and east memphis, another one of my favorites
Germantown Commisary - in the germantown burbs but very good.

Do you know where you are moving around here?

Last edited by mellow mood; 05-30-2013 at 08:29 AM..
mellow mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Beale Street, Beale Street, Beale Street... and the rest of it is "meh" at best.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow mood View Post
I live in memphis and have most of my life (went to school in missoula for a while) so hopefully I can help a little.

My wife and I are currently in the process of fixing our house up so we can move east to NC. Out door life is pretty non existent here and honestly i just need more. Memphis is a rough town, with bad crime but a lot of fun is to be had here. I'll list some restaurants, area's, and other general stuff you would most certainly enjoy.

Shelby Farms Park - very big park with tons to do. (i mtn bike here)
http://www.shelbyfarmspark.org/

If you are here this summer check out Live at the Botanic gardens. You can bring a picnic, cooler and chairs. Pretty nice environment to chill and see some music.
http://memphisbotanicgarden.com/liveatthegarden

For other concerts and music check out Minglewood Hall
http://www.minglewoodhall.com/
and
The Historic Shell has free shows all summer long which is pretty damn sweet
http://levittshell.org/

You must take a visit or three at Stax Museum. Old memphis soul including Otis, Isaac, Aretha, Staples singers etc etc. Even if its not your style id recommend a visit.
http://www.staxmuseum.com/

Sun Studios is also another very cool place to check out
http://www.sunstudio.com/

Our zoo is also very nice and is next to Overton park which is another cool park in the heart of the city.

There are other festivals and such that happen around town throughout the year that are a hell of a time. Music fest, BBQ fest, Hot wing Fest, Italian Fest (this weekend), Crawfish fest are just a handful.

The best thing memphis has to offer is food and night life. I could go on and on and on about restaurants and bars. I'll list some of my favorites but there are plenty more out there.

Boscos - it is a brewery and has good food. Located in overtone square in midtown. For brewery beer to go check out Ghost river downtown as it is the same owner.

Local - Located in Midtown
Iris - located in midtwon
Bari - located in midtown
The arcade - for breakfast located downtown
Itta Bena - located downtown third floor of BB Kings. Lots of folks dont know about this place.
Half Shell - east memphis for brunch
Bayou bar and grill - located in midtown. good for everything
Bardog - dowtown night time bar
andrewmichaels italian kitchen - east memphis
brooklyn bridge - east memphis
Finos - midtown for lunch
Gus's - best fried checken ever

That is just a few so if you want more let me know.

Edit - guess i should have listed BBQ joints
Rendevous - downtown - kind of a touristy spot
Blues city - on beale, goo BBq late night if on beale.
BBQ Shop - one of my favorites - midtown
Cozy Corner - downtown in a not so good area, but dame good (bbq cornish game hen)
Central BBQ - midtown and east memphis, another one of my favorites
Germantown Commisary - in the germantown burbs but very good.

Do you know where you are moving around here?

Great info, I appreciate that. In the very very early stages of planning of move.... (She got the internship, we moved her out here ASAP, been a whirlwind) but as of now were looking at mud island. It seems a bit yuppity but it has running trails, feels safe, and has a great location. A bit pricey but were from MT so paying high for housing is basically pre-built into the budget.

From your post, as well as talking to some locals, I do think we need to check out mid-town quite a bit more.

I've ate out quite a bit (too much) and every last place has been amazing. What high end place would you reccomend? Looking for a sit-down fancy meal for our/my last night here.

Ghost River's amber beer is amazing.

Lastly, do you know anything about the High Schools? I'm looking for a history education job but my emphasis is to get on a very solid coaching staff in a good football program. (wonder if that statement gives anybody faith in thier local history teachers)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Beale Street, Beale Street, Beale Street... and the rest of it is "meh" at best.
This. All of this.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Haha good luck!
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
mellow mood
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

hmm

my two favorite restaurants in town are Iris and Andrew Michaels Italian kitchen. Defintiely call for reservations.

Iris is really hard to get in to, and usually is booked weeks out. I still mentioned it as you might get lucky

I love Itta Bena downtown. It is a tad pricey but the food and atmosphere are great. if you choose there ask for a small private room if they have one open.

FeleciaSuzannes isnt to shabby either
http://www.feliciasuzanne.com/

For schools, I am not sure i can help much.
White station highschool is probably the best public school in memphis. There are others like Germantown, Houston, Bartlett but they are all out in the burbs.
There are a bunch of private schools in memphis to look at as well
MUS, Briarcrest, Harding, ECS,

All in all, i just dont know much about the highschools these days.

i am more than happy to give more info so dont hesitate to ever get in touch.
mellow mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Just don't end up in Orange Mound.

That's what 8Ball and MJG told me.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Beale street is fun and games until about 2am. You better be in a cab before then.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Beale street is fun and games until about 2am. You better be in a cab before then.
That's funny... I thought it was pretty dead UNTIL 2.00 a.m.....
Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I thought this thread had a chance to be epic. It involved moving, a girl, and OM advise. Then I read ICU nurse and coach/teacher and I had a tear of sadness as it means you will make sound and grounded decisions. Damn It!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
I thought this thread had a chance to be epic. It involved moving, a girl, and OM advise. Then I read ICU nurse and coach/teacher and I had a tear of sadness as it means you will make sound and grounded decisions. Damn It!
She has an 8 hour shift today and I found myself river boat gambling, so I'm not real sure about the whole sound and grounded part....
Old 05-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword View Post

Miniapolos is a tiny village outside of Athens.

I'm sorry. I know this adds nothing, but couldn't help it.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #19
BFDD
Team America **** YEAH!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Atwater

I'm a Colorado native living in Tennessee. My only advice is: Soak in all that is "the south". If they play music, go listen. If they cook, go eat. Try it all.

I miss grabbing a beer at Falling Rock, then walking to coors field for a game. But something about seeing these amazing song writers in tiny venues that is perty darn cool.
BFDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #20
TerrElway
Pro Bowler

Yep, get off of Beale by midnight I would say. It's cool and the others are right, the BBQ is AWESOME down there. I spent a month there a couple of years ago and gained 12 pounds from eating like a king on the expense account. I was running 3 miles per night or I would've gained 20!

One of the best BBQ joints I went to was called Jessie B's. It's owned by Tommy "The Hitman" Hearns brother and he kills it.

Now I'm a lily white cracker from Utah so I was feeling a little out of place the first time we went there. It was a Friday night and he was cooking out in the parking lot next to the liquor store on his big old smoker. Needless to say I stuck out like a sore thumb (as did the 2 guys that went with me) and we got some looks but they fed us like kings and treated us even better.

It's on Mount Moriah Road and we were told the next day we took our lives in our hands going down there but the food was so good we went back twice. We didn't have trouble any of the times we went there.

He has locations there and Hattiesburg MS.
TerrElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

place is a dump... It's one step above Detroit and one below NOLA. I'd try to find an intership elsewhere if you care about location.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #22
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
place is a dump... It's one step above Detroit and one below NOLA. I'd try to find an intership elsewhere if you care about location.
It's all in the hospital... St Jude, it's her dream. So I have to make it work for a couple years. Here for her and then get a head coaching or GA spot somewhere far far away and it'll be her turn to follow :/

Thanks for the help all.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

all I know about Memphis is it gets a lot of air time on "The First 48" and "Cops"

errand is offline   Reply With Quote