The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Will they ever be forced to change their name?
Yes 28 35.44%
No 51 64.56%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #76
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Hey-ya hey-ya hey-ya hey-ya guys, what's going on in this thread? Looks like I'm under-dressed for a flame war.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #77
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Dear Packers,

Prepare your ani, because you're next. Homophobes.

Your pal.

Doc B
Old 05-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #78
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Bronco56 View Post
One is blatently derogatory... whilst one has acquired a different meaning over time. I do not think Redskins is a darogatory term anymore.... its mearly a reference to indians, sure it originally was similar to dropping the N bomb, but in todays lingo it is mearly a sports team that's mascot is an indian
Sooo, when did redskin become "merely a reference to indians"? Because outside references to a certain DC based football team, I can't remember (or imagine) a single modern person, teacher, historian using "redskin" as interchangeable for Native American or Indian. Probably because it's defined in every dictionary, thesaurus you look at as offensive and/or a slur.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #79
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Dear Packers,

Prepare your ani, because you're next. Homophobes.

Your pal.

Doc B
Bears v Packers: the NFL's ambiguously gay rivalry?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #80
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
I've never heard anyone dispute the Blackhawks name. If I'm not mistaken that is the name if a regional tribe, you know, what was refenced earlier as a respectful means of referencing Native Americans.
It's been my understanding that there are a several groups most notably, the National Congress of American Indians who have issued a resolution opposing continued usage of Native team names, mascots, and logos, and demand the removal of all references to Native Americans be it the Iroquois, Warriors, Seminoles, Chiefs, Braves, Blackhawks etc....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #81
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Sooo, when did redskin become "merely a reference to indians"? Because outside references to a certain DC based football team, I can't remember (or imagine) a single modern person, teacher, historian using "redskin" as interchangeable for Native American or Indian. Probably because it's defined in every dictionary, thesaurus you look at as offensive and/or a slur.

So pray tell who refers to any Native Americans as "redskins" anymore? If someone says Redskins these days, they are almost assuredlly talking about the football team.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #82
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
What if they were called the Jungle Bunnies, how would that fly. Surely that is no more offensive to African Americans than Redskins is to Native Americans.
How could this be construed as racist?

Old 05-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #83
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

What about the Browns? Why not just call them the Cleveland Minorities?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #84
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Oh, and lets not forget the Bills. Won't someone think of the Williams?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #85
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

How can any non indian say its not offensive. Its the same as calling some team the wetbacks or the ****ers.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #86
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
What about the Browns? Why not just call them the Cleveland Minorities?
Thats different because they are actually named after a figher who was called the brown bomber and it was more a term of respect. I remember a brown fan telling me this once arguing its not the same as the browns who were negro baseball team back in the day.

Whatever though Redskins with a logo of a screaming indian on the warpath is pretty different from The Browns with a brown helmet. Also some say it was just taken from the fact the owners last name was brown.

if the redksins owners name was redskin i guess it would be ok lol.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #87
DENVERDUI55

I think they should change it to Washington Wagon Burners.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #88
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

No. In fact most Native Americans don't give a **** about it. It's just a minority of crybabies in an uproar. Guess we should change the Cleveland Indians too because Native Americans are not from India. It's sooo racist. Pussified society. Everything is ****ing offensive these days.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #89
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
The term Redskin came from when a white would kill an Indian and then peel off his/her face with a knife to prove they killed an Indian they would then turn in their redskins to get a bounty. **** yeah that is offensive. Its offensive as hell.

But that is not what it means today. Today they try to make it honor Indians. I don't know. The name doesn't offend me but I don't offend easily as the political correctness police on this board.

In all honesty they should change the name but they never will.
I agree with your post

I'm also pointing out that the Indians did the exact same thing.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #90
lolcopter

Whole lotta butthurt going on over very little substance

Welcome to American politics.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #91
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Thats different because they are actually named after a figher who was called the brown bomber and it was more a term of respect. I remember a brown fan telling me this once arguing its not the same as the browns who were negro baseball team back in the day.

Whatever though Redskins with a logo of a screaming indian on the warpath is pretty different from The Browns with a brown helmet. Also some say it was just taken from the fact the owners last name was brown.

Maybe they are the Browns because Cleveland is a **** place to live
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #92
FrankieTwoThumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
No. In fact most Native Americans don't give a **** about it. It's just a minority of crybabies in an uproar. Guess we should change the Cleveland Indians too because Native Americans are not from India. It's sooo racist. Pussified society. Everything is ****ing offensive these days.
My experience as well. I am married to a redskin (her idea to put that) and she thinks people are too sensitive. I am sure some are offended by that, just like some of every type of people are offended by something, but I don't think the majority takes it seriously, and nobody thinks the intent is malicious. The more active natives I know are more concerned with relevant current issues to care much about silly historical names for sporting teams. I have never heard anyone call any native a redskin unless it was joking around, I certainly don't think it has the same punch as currently used racist terms like wetback or liberal.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #93
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post

they were named the Browns because their owner/coach was legendary Paul Brown.....
Old 05-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #94
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

This is an interesting discussion, IMO. The correct answer feels pretty obvious to me, but I'm also not so passionate about it that I feel any outrage about people arguing otherwise. Just curiosity about the thinking.

I think outside the actual issue of the Redskins name, I like to push back on the general framing of these kinds of issues that you're either:

A) Laid-back, thick-skinned and have common sense

or

B) Pussified, crybaby, political correctness freak.

Everyone wants to be A. I would say even among liberals I know, they're even more sensitive about not coming across as overly-PC. So everyone errs on the side of trying to not give a **** about who finds what offensive. Which is probably where I fall in most cases!

But I also think it's created a situation where people refuse to even consider discussing the implications or legitimacy of other people taking offense. Do I think the Braves or Chiefs have an offensive name? No, but if a group of Native Americans do, well, I'm at least willing to hear the arguments before telling them to get thicker skin. You don't have to be overly sensitive to be thoughtful about these things. Kneejerk reactions (in either direction) only exacerbate the problem.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #95
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieTwoThumbs View Post
I certainly don't think it has the same punch as currently used racist terms like wetback or liberal.

liberals aren't a race of people......
Old 05-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #96
FrankieTwoThumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
liberals aren't a race of people......
Good to know.
What about literals?
Old 05-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #97
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Most probably don't, but a few are offended. There were a few people offended by the Ole Miss Rebels too. I think the biggest difference in these examples are the size of the demographic group. The Native American group is so small, that "a few" offended doesn't carry the same weight as the larger groups.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #98
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

If they were the Washington Indians, they'd still be considered offensive. You gotta love all the emo types out there that will cry over anything and everything.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #99
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

this change would be GAF.... but congress then again is GAF so typical...
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #100
MileHighMagic
Ho-Slayer

SAUCED

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dave Logan

I am Shawnee and I don't care for the name. Like Kid A mentioned earlier, I too think it's laughable the NFL mascot in our nations capital still has a racist name. Personally, I don't think any ethnic group should be used as a mascot but then again, Native Americans are the only ones that are.
MileHighMagic is offline   Reply With Quote