The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Will they ever be forced to change their name?
Yes 28 35.44%
No 51 64.56%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #26
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Unfortunately, the same groups of people fighting the name Redskins are also trying to get rid of those names as well......
And that's where the PC nonsense comes in. Instead of rationally targeting the obviously racist team name they simply decide all names inspire by an ethnic group are somehow offensive. It's utterly silly. I wonder if they find the Celtics to be an offensive name. What about the Fighting Irish? Somehow I doubt it...
Old 05-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #27
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

As stated earlier, the same groups who despise Redskins also want the name Braves removed.....which is odd because the UNC-Pembroke (a university originally set up to educate Native Americans) team is called none other than the Braves.

errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #28
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Unfortunately, the same groups of people fighting the name Redskins are also trying to get rid of those names as well......
Kamau Bell had the idea to keep the name, but change their logo to a white guy with horrible sunburn. I'm all for it.

But of course its offensive. And if they changed the name, we'd all get used to it and move on with our lives.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #29
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
And that's where the PC nonsense comes in. Instead of rationally targeting the obviously racist team name they simply decide all names inspire by an ethnic group are somehow offensive. It's utterly silly. I wonder if they find the Celtics to be an offensive name. What about the Fighting Irish? Somehow I doubt it...
Exactly....but the sins of the great great great great grandfathers are the sins of the great great great great grandsons evidently.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #30
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Kamau Bell had the idea to keep the name, but change their logo to a white guy with horrible sunburn. I'm all for it.

But of course its offensive. And if they changed the name, we'd all get used to it and move on with our lives.
Is his show worth watching?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #31
Agamemnon

Quote:
As stated earlier, the same groups who despise Redskins also want the name Braves removed.....which is odd because the UNC-Pembroke (a university originally set up to educate Native Americans) team is called none other than the Braves.

I just don't get the logic behind equating Redskins and Braves in terms of offensiveness. It completely boggles my mind...
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #32
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i am of the belief that they won't change their name now. but give it some time and more whiny b****es claiming that it is wrong to have anything that can be construed as an offensive or racial name and the No Fun League will force a change. and once that happens, say goodbye to the Indians in baseball and the Blackhawks in hockey.

god i hate that everything needs to be PC now.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #33
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
No they won't ever change their name and quit being so damn touchy people.
The average person isn't touchy, and there aren't enough Native Americans to make the rest of us feel guilty. Lets change their name to the Blackskins and see if that makes people more touchy.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #34
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:

And the Braves name is, I agree, not that offensive (Though some of the tomahawk chop chant stuff is pretty cheesy. Sort of on par with a team "honoring" hispanic culture with sombreros and maracas.)

But just because some group want both gone, doesn't make the case against the Redskins name any more relevant. It's just a sore thumb sticking out that one of the biggest teams in our biggest sports league has a racial slur for a mascot. It's kind of inexplicable.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #35
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
So is this the same as scalping?
Scallpimg was a white mans tradition the natives adopted...
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #36
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
What are you talking about? Are you one of those people who turns every race discussion into one about reverse discrimination?

Which isn't to say I don't agree that it's "wrong to call ANYONE of ANY RACE a derogatory name." Hell, I tend to avoid/be uncomfortable with the "white trash" label people throw around jokingly.

But the Redskins thing isn't about solving all derogatory name calling; it's about conceding that a professional organization that represents a major American city should be one of the first places to scrub any connection to ugly/racist stereotypes.
Again you fail to see that these political correctness pushers work under the guise that they "care"...it's their motivation that I question.

If the goal is to end racism, then we need to stop ALL racism. however as I pointed out nobody wants to stop racism if it is directed towards Caucasians.....it's what is known as "get-evenism". white people according to these clowns hasn't paid for their sins evidently.......

here's a thought...why don't the ones who oppose the name save up their money, call in some favors and find financiers to fund their purchase of the Washington Redskins football club and they can name it anything they wish....including the Fighting White Trash.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #37
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Yes the whole premise is racist and antiquated, but dissolving all the reservations would get really, really ugly.
Take away the government checks and raise the tax on booze.... then it will get real ugly
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #38
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Is his show worth watching?
I personally love it. It kind of feels like the old Chris Rock HBO talk show. Kamau's really likable and clever.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #39
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Scallpimg was a white mans tradition the natives adopted...
I'm gonna guess that for every link that says this to be true, there are just as many that say otherwise.......I'm willing to bet it's more of a "He said-She said" kind of thing that cannot be proven 100%
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #40
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
So is this the same as scalping?
No it's called defacing.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #41
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i am of the belief that they won't change their name now. but give it some time and more whiny b****es claiming that it is wrong to have anything that can be construed as an offensive or racial name and the No Fun League will force a change. and once that happens, say goodbye to the Indians in baseball and the Blackhawks in hockey.

The indians can easily change their name to the Tribe, eliminate chief Wahoo, and no one would give a ****.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #42
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
And the Braves name is, I agree, not that offensive (Though some of the tomahawk chop chant stuff is pretty cheesy. Sort of on par with a team "honoring" hispanic culture with sombreros and maracas.)

But just because some group want both gone, doesn't make the case against the Redskins name any more relevant. It's just a sore thumb sticking out that one of the biggest teams in our biggest sports league has a racial slur for a mascot. It's kind of inexplicable.
so if the Redskins kept their mascot but named the team, say the Warriors....you're OK with that?

I think if this change is going to come about, it'll have to be the fans who buy the tickets and perhaps even the NFL owners who apply the pressure to do so. Personally I think the owners can keep the name if they want because people need to get over themselves....but by the same token can care less if they change it of their own accord. I just hate it when the government forces people to do things like buy healthcare insurance, and change the name of their NFL franchise.

Last edited by errand; 05-29-2013 at 10:59 AM..
Old 05-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #43
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post

How did you feel about Ole Miss changing their name?
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #44
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I just don't get the logic behind equating Redskins and Braves in terms of offensiveness. It completely boggles my mind...
Neither do I...however I've been told since I'm not Native American I'm not allowed to have any opinion on what is offensive to Native Americans........
Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #45
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
so if the Redskins kept their mascot but named the team, say the Warriors....you're OK with that?

I think if this change is going to come about, it'll have to be the fans who buy the tickets and perhaps even the NFL owners who apply the pressure to do so. Personally I think the owners can keep the name if they want because people need to get over themselves....but by the same token can care less if they change it of their own accord. I just hate it when the government forces people to do things like buy healthcare insurance, and change the name of their NFL franchise.
These guys would be offended.

Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #46
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
The term Redskin came from when a white would kill an Indian and then peel off his/her face with a knife to prove they killed an Indian they would then turn in their redskins to get a bounty. **** yeah that is offensive. Its offensive as hell.

Hmm I have never ever heard that before. Can you post some proof of that?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #47
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
These guys would be offended.

Rep...
Old 05-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #48
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Just because there are bigger political issues in existence doesn't mean this isn't something that at least the NFL and Washington organization shouldn't be made to address.

It's a racist name. You would not call a Native American a redskin to their face. Even avoiding the "should Native/Indian mascots be used at all" question, the Redskins are clearly the furthest over the line. Yes, you will find polls of Native Americans who say they don't care. But there are also polls / petitions from plenty of them who find it equivalent to the n-word.

Do we need total consensus from any ethnic community to establish that a controversial word with, at the very least, a very racist history to it maybe shouldn't be used for one of the biggest sports teams in the country? I would say no.

It's not being overly PC or touchy to say maybe the team in our nation's capitol shouldn't be branded with a racial slur for a group of people who were nearly massacred out of existence in that area of the country. It's just a gross anachronism, a name they got back in the 1930s when you could also freely call blacks, asians, and other minorities any number of slurs without controversy. Times have fortunately changed. Why keep celebrating an ugly relic of that era?

Its racist in your mind and anyone's else's mind that thinks that way...........get over it.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #49
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Hmm I have never ever heard that before. Can you post some proof of that?

Never heard of that either............
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #50
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Never heard of that either............
Surprisingly, the name Redskin is not a North American one. Its original meaning had nothing to do with the scalps of Indians. The original name was a European one used to describe Algonquins who painted their face with bright red ocher and bloodroot, thereby making their face red with war paint. Only later on was it implied that the name was derived from a Native American's exposure to the sun or from the scalps of Indians that were paid to cowboys as bounties. Unfortunately, for some reason, perhaps because of our own ignorance, the name is believed to come from the human scalps of Native Americans. However, the original meaning comes from Europe and was used by the Europeans when they arrived in North America, hundreds of years before any reference to any other meaning was used.

I have found plenty of info disputing that claim.