The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Will they ever be forced to change their name?
Yes 28 35.44%
No 51 64.56%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default Redskins Offsensive?

This again

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...ns-change-name

Will they ever change their name?
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

No they won't ever change their name and quit being so damn touchy people.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
The term Redskin came from when a white would kill an Indian and then peel off his/her face with a knife to prove they killed an Indian they would then turn in their redskins to get a bounty. **** yeah that is offensive. Its offensive as hell.

But that is not what it means today. Today they try to make it honor Indians. I don't know. The name doesn't offend me but I don't offend easily as the political correctness police on this board.

In all honesty they should change the name but they never will.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
The term Redskin came from when a white would kill an Indian and then peel off his/her face with a knife to prove they killed an Indian they would then turn in their redskins to get a bounty. **** yeah that is offensive. Its offensive as hell.

But that is not what it means today. Today they try to make it honor Indians. I don't know. The name doesn't offend me but I don't offend easily as the political correctness police on this board.

So is this the same as scalping?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

I voted No and hope they do not change the name. Politicians should be more concerned with things like..... Getting a freekin budget and not crap like this.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
So is this the same as scalping?
Who knew Indians were the first ticket brokers
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Would it be cool to have a team called The Wetbacks? How about The Gooks?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
I voted No and hope they do not change the name. Politicians should be more concerned with things like..... Getting a freekin budget and not crap like this.
Just because there are bigger political issues in existence doesn't mean this isn't something that at least the NFL and Washington organization shouldn't be made to address.

It's a racist name. You would not call a Native American a redskin to their face. Even avoiding the "should Native/Indian mascots be used at all" question, the Redskins are clearly the furthest over the line. Yes, you will find polls of Native Americans who say they don't care. But there are also polls / petitions from plenty of them who find it equivalent to the n-word.

Do we need total consensus from any ethnic community to establish that a controversial word with, at the very least, a very racist history to it maybe shouldn't be used for one of the biggest sports teams in the country? I would say no.

It's not being overly PC or touchy to say maybe the team in our nation's capitol shouldn't be branded with a racial slur for a group of people who were nearly massacred out of existence in that area of the country. It's just a gross anachronism, a name they got back in the 1930s when you could also freely call blacks, asians, and other minorities any number of slurs without controversy. Times have fortunately changed. Why keep celebrating an ugly relic of that era?
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I find the Harlem Honkeys and Compton Crackers to both be in good taste.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

it could be argued D Snyder could make EVEN MORE money on a new branding
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

redskin:

Redskin is first recorded in the late 17th century and was applied to the Algonquian peoples generally, but specifically to the Delaware (who lived in what is now southern New York State and New York City, New Jersey, and eastern Pennsylvania). Redskin referred not to the natural skin color of the Delaware, but to their use of vermilion face paint and body paint. In time, however, through a process that in linguistics is called pejoration, by which a neutral term acquires an unfavorable connotation or denotation, redskin lost its neutral, accurate descriptive sense and became a term of disparagement. Red man is first recorded in the early 17th century and was originally neutral in tone. Red Indian is first recorded in the early 19th century and was used by the British, far more than by Americans, to distinguish the Indians of the subcontinent from the Indians of the Americas. All three terms are dated or offensive. American Indian and Native American are now the standard umbrella terms. Of course, if it is possible or appropriate, one can also use specific tribal names (Cheyenne, Nez PercÚ, etc.).

http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/def...skin?q=redskin

Only thing that sounds similar to the bolded is when the king of England issued a proclamation ordering the removal/destruction of the Penobscot Indian, offering reward money for their capture or their scalps, not faces. The term redskin is not found in that document.

http://abbemuseum.org/research/waban...clamation.html

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

the mascot:

Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
you probably don't want to hear this, but it is generally people who are of the "liberal" persuasion who are the "touchy" people pushing these "political correctness" issues...

I mean after all, according to the vast majority of liberals, conservatives are nothing but a bunch of rich racist bigoted homophobic caucasians who would name all our sports teams derogatory names if we could.

Last edited by errand; 05-29-2013 at 10:25 AM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Yes. And that is exactly the same.

Okie dokie.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think all Native Americans should just assimilate. We should get rid of all reservations and they should just join the general populace. This insistence on keeping themselves separated from society is racist. Everything about it is nationalist and racist. I'm technically native American since I was born in America. Their whole premise is similar what black people try to argue with reparations saying "your great-great-grandfather screwed my great-great-grandfather and by bloodline you owe me."

They should be assimilated. Resistance is racist.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I think all Native Americans should just assimilate. We should get rid of all reservations and they should just join the general populace. This insistence on keeping themselves separated from society is racist. Everything about it is nationalist and racist. I'm technically native American since I was born in America. Their whole premise is similar what black people try to argue with reparations saying "your great-great-grandfather screwed my great-great-grandfather and by bloodline you owe me."

Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #17
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post

It's not being overly PC or touchy to say maybe the team in our nation's capitol shouldn't be branded with a racial slur for a group of people who were nearly massacred out of existence in that area of the country. It's just a gross anachronism, a name they got back in the 1930s when you could also freely call blacks, asians, and other minorities any number of slurs without controversy. Times have fortunately changed. Why keep celebrating an ugly relic of that era?
and yet we still to this day have people of all races who call caucasians "crackers"...."honky"and the ugliest name ever "racist"... just because of the color of their skin. See, to assume all white people are racist is racist.....but nobody wants to discuss that bull****.

If we're to move on, we have to come to the conclusion it's wrong to call ANYONE of ANY RACE a derogatory name....however that standard hasn't been achieved ...and probably never will.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:

No.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
redskin:

Redskin is first recorded in the late 17th century and was applied to the Algonquian peoples generally, but specifically to the Delaware (who lived in what is now southern New York State and New York City, New Jersey, and eastern Pennsylvania). Redskin referred not to the natural skin color of the Delaware, but to their use of vermilion face paint and body paint. In time, however, through a process that in linguistics is called pejoration, by which a neutral term acquires an unfavorable connotation or denotation, redskin lost its neutral, accurate descriptive sense and became a term of disparagement. Red man is first recorded in the early 17th century and was originally neutral in tone. Red Indian is first recorded in the early 19th century and was used by the British, far more than by Americans, to distinguish the Indians of the subcontinent from the Indians of the Americas. All three terms are dated or offensive. American Indian and Native American are now the standard umbrella terms. Of course, if it is possible or appropriate, one can also use specific tribal names (Cheyenne, Nez PercÚ, etc.).

http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/def...skin?q=redskin

Only thing that sounds similar to the bolded is when the king of England issued a proclamation ordering the removal/destruction of the Penobscot Indian, offering reward money for their capture or their scalps, not faces. The term redskin is not found in that document.

http://abbemuseum.org/research/waban...clamation.html

Old 05-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorado View Post
Yes. And that is exactly the same.

Okie dokie.
...I'm not even inferring that it is. In fact, (pauses for dramatic revelation) those are both fictional!

The Harlem Honkeys and Compton Crackers don't even exist!
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
Agamemnon

There are perfectly acceptable Native American-inspired team names like the Chiefs, Braves, or Indians. I think it's rather obvious that the name Redskins is a different animal. It's basically on par with having a team called the ****ers. The reasons many people don't find it offensive is that there just aren't that many Native Americans, most people don't know any, and the name has been around for 80 years so people are just used to it. That said, I do think it may eventually change, but only when the team has an owner that fully realizes just how offensive and ugly the name really is.

And this really isn't a PC thing. I'm decidedly un-PC. This is simply about racism, and Washington's team name is clearly straight up racist.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #22
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Would it be cool to have a team called The Wetbacks? How about The Gooks?
Has anyone suggested either of those names? No, they have not.

This is just whiny people whining......I'm not "native American" but it seems to me the only NFL team I'd have a problem being named after native Americans would be the K.C. Chiefs for the obvious reasons that the team sucks balls.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #23
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
There are perfectly acceptable Native American-inspired team names like the Chiefs, Braves, or Indians. I think it's rather obvious that the name Redskins is a different animal. It's basically on par with having a team called the ****ers. The reasons many people don't find it offensive is that there just aren't that many Native Americans, most people don't know any, and the name has been around for 80 years so people are just used to it. That said, I do think it may eventually change, but only when the team has an owner that fully realizes just how offensive and ugly the name really is.

And this really isn't a PC thing. I'm decidedly un-PC. This is simply about racism, and Washington's team name is clearly straight up racist.
Unfortunately, the same groups of people fighting the name Redskins are also trying to get rid of those names as well......
Old 05-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #24
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

Yes the whole premise is racist and antiquated, but dissolving all the reservations would get really, really ugly.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #25
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
and yet we still to this day have people of all races who call caucasians "crackers"...."honky"and the ugliest name ever "racist"... just because of the color of their skin. See, to assume all white people are racist is racist.....but nobody wants to discuss that bull****.

If we're to move on, we have to come to the conclusion it's wrong to call ANYONE of ANY RACE a derogatory name....however that standard hasn't been achieved ...and probably never will.
What are you talking about? Are you one of those people who turns every race discussion into one about reverse discrimination?

Which isn't to say I don't agree that it's "wrong to call ANYONE of ANY RACE a derogatory name." Hell, I tend to avoid/be uncomfortable with the "white trash" label people throw around jokingly.

But the Redskins thing isn't about solving all derogatory name calling; it's about conceding that a professional organization that represents a major American city should be one of the first places to scrub any connection to ugly/racist stereotypes.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote