The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler

Default Viop recommendations

I am moving into a new house looking for ways to trim my utility bills. I am looking into viop options for our phone line and fax. My family seldom places calls from our landline anymore, but would like it as a backup. Out of all the different options vonage, magic jack, obi with google voice, does anyone have any experience with using any of the viop options?
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Vonage hands down - negotiate your deal with them.

I have the world plan (unlimited calling to 64 countries ) for 15 dollars a month.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

better known as Voice Internet Over Protocol?
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

lol, yeah I was going to say, It's VoIP, not VIOP.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Best VIOP? Try Foneco.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

My parents have had Vonage for years. Here are a few observations I've had:

1) You can't talk on the phone while downloading large files (e.g., torrents)

2) Make sure you have a good broadband connection (especially upload speed) or people won't be able to hear you

3) It used to save you a lot more money than it does now. ISPs raised the cost of internet a little while after Vonage came out, so utility bills ended up evening out pre-VoIP to post-VoIP, with people still stuck with a traditional phone now being raped. You may want to see if your ISP offers a VoIP phone bundle with your internet, but I'm assuming your ISP doesn't offer VoIP since you're asking about Vonage. (side note: my parents have had better luck with ISP VoIP than Vonage - however that may be just be a result of overall better technology over the years).

4) You are sometimes required to use a special router/modem for VoIP. These routers often suck. My folks have to power cycle their router/modem 3-4 times a week.

5) Like baja said, unlimited long distance (or even the world plan) is convenient if your wife likes to talk on the phone to long-distance friends/relatives.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #7
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedReaver View Post

2) Make sure you have a good broadband connection (especially upload speed) or people won't be able to hear you

3) It used to save you a lot more money than it does now. ISPs raised the cost of internet a little while after Vonage came out, so utility bills ended up evening out pre-VoIP to post-VoIP, with people still stuck with a traditional phone now being raped. You may want to see if your ISP offers a VoIP phone bundle with your internet, but I'm assuming your ISP doesn't offer VoIP since you're asking about Vonage. (side note: my parents have had better luck with ISP VoIP than Vonage - however that may be just be a result of overall better technology over the years).

4) You are sometimes required to use a special router/modem for VoIP. These routers often suck. My folks have to power cycle their router/modem 3-4 times a week.

5) Like baja said, unlimited long distance (or even the world plan) is convenient if your wife likes to talk on the phone to long-distance friends/relatives.
I have had poor (Fiber optics now) internet speeds for years and my Vonage worked well at those speeds but like you said don't try to download anything and use the phone.
I only have to reboot my Vonage box about once a month if that.

They even offer a fax line, too bad Doom didn't know about that.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Hard to beat Skype with video but only as a second option.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

What kind of cell phone do you have? If it is Android get Google voice. Great for international calls from both in and out of the country
Drunk Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedReaver View Post

We had Vonage for calling international. If was OK at first but the call quality was always a little sketchy. Wife now uses Google Voice from her call phone to call home. Works much better and cheaper.
Drunk Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

http://www.costco.com/Ooma-Telo-Air-....11675338.html
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
Denver Bronco56
Head Coach

The Greatest

My GF and her roommates have Magic Jack... really cheap like $20 a year. The quality sounds great, I couldnt notice any degredation in sound while using it.
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Bronco56 View Post
My GF and her roommates have Magic Jack... really cheap like $20 a year. The quality sounds great, I couldnt notice any degredation in sound while using it.
They have the best, high quality commercials.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I use voip at my business. 12 + lines and yes- multiple faxes running 24/7. Never had any issues or anything. But then I am a business so I am sure its alittle different then personal usage.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
They have the best, high quality commercials.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I keep saying viop like an actual word in my head and it makes me giggle. Not because it sounds like any other word, but I keep picturing my Grandma trying to figure out what a viop plan is. She would have totally butchered VoIP too.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

so I just jumped off the VoIP line and went AT&T home wireless. It is a cell phone for your house and comes in at 19.99 for an unlimited line or 9.99 for and add-on family plan line. So far so good and cheaper than retail Vonage. Plus, no broadband connection impact.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote