The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Flacco's agent calls Baltimore FO "dumb"

Quote:
"I've never in my life seen a dumber move. I guess people can say, 'Well, Joe was dumb, too.' It could have been [dumb], God forbid, if he got hurt. But $1 million to [Ravens owner] Steve Bisciotti six years from now? That's like 100 bucks for you or me today," he told USA Today.

"I'm not apologetic for the fact this is really a three-year deal, there's no way they can afford $29 million a couple of years from now,'' Linta told USA Today. "I'm not apologetic. They chose to walk away.''
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...dumb-move-2012
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Good for Flacco and bad for Ravens.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

No, it wasn't dumb. Flacco needed to prove his worth. Winning the Super Bowl did the trick...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
No, it wasn't dumb. Flacco needed to prove his worth. Winning the Super Bowl did the trick...
Truthfully, I think Flacco's "worth" is closer to what he would have gotten at the beginning of the season rather than the end. Think Trent Dilfer Superbowl.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
extralife
Ring of Famer

It was obviously dumb. They were never going to let Flacco walk to begin with. A fluke super bowl win and now they're stuck pretending he's worth twenty million a year from now to the end of time.
extralife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
It was obviously dumb. They were never going to let Flacco walk to begin with. A fluke super bowl win and now they're stuck pretending he's worth twenty million a year from now to the end of time.
Truthfully, it's not a long term deal, it's more like a three year deal, but the cash is packed in those 3 years. Nonetheless, they took a risk and lost. Happens to the player all the time, this time just went the other way.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Truthfully, I think Flacco's "worth" is closer to what he would have gotten at the beginning of the season rather than the end. Think Trent Dilfer Superbowl.
Except Flacco actually carried his team with his offense as opposed to the defense carrying Dilfer. Bash on Flacco all you want. He ****ing dominated the playoffs statistically. Do you really think the Ravens beat us with a Dilfer type QB?
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Except Flacco actually carried his team with his offense as opposed to the defense carrying Dilfer. Bash on Flacco all you want. He ****ing dominated the playoffs statistically. Do you really think the Ravens beat us with a Dilfer type QB?
Hmmm I thought the refs carried that team in the playoffs
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
he did his job, helped them win a SB and got paid for it. if they wanna pay him hella good for it then so be it.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
Agamemnon

I think they were dumb to pay him top money because he had one good offseason where he rode Anquan Boldin's coattails.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What's the alternative? Good for Flacco,he had the leverage.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
I'm not bashing on Flacco. He played well in the playoffs no doubt. But if I could choose any QB in the league there are probably 15 I would choose before flacco.

He's paid top 3 QB money and I don't think he's a top 3 QB.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
This! I think the ravens fo are dumb too. To sign an average QB top 3 money is stupid.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncolife View Post
Hmmm I thought the refs carried that team in the playoffs
I'm sure they were also well-paid. Let's hope it wasn't a three-year deal.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #15
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
i don't know about that. the guy wins a lot. he isn't Rodgers, Brees or Manning, but he gets the job done at a high rate of success.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
consistent1
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What good does it do for this agent to trash them now? Can't help anything at this point after the deal they got.
consistent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Here's a hypothetical: if the ravens had inked Flacco to that 5 year extension that averaged $16m per year, would the ravens now be hoisting the lombardi?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Flacco wins games, plays very well in the postseason, and is durable.

I'll take "mediocre" 25TD/10INT seasons if it means 12 wins and an almost guaranteed push in the playoffs.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post
Flacco wins games, plays very well in the postseason, and is durable.

I'll take "mediocre" 25TD/10INT seasons if it means 12 wins and an almost guaranteed push in the playoffs.
You forgot about a great coach and defense. Basically, he is Big Ben when he won his super bowls (who isn't considered one of the best QB's in the league).
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
Bacchus

I don't think it was a stupid move. How could the Ravens know the mediocre Flacco would have the playoffs of his career. Now I am sure he will go back to being mediocre. Sucks for Ravens fan.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #21
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I don't think it was a stupid move. How could the Ravens know the mediocre Flacco would have the playoffs of his career.
It didn't matter whether they knew it or not. The one thing they most certainly knew was that they were never going to let Joe Flacco walk. To let him go would be to blow up the entire roster. The amount of times that a competitive team has let a QB in his prime leave via free agency is hovering somewhere around zero. So they tried to gamble that something would happen during the season that would somehow convince Flacco to take less money than they were offering in the summer. What were the chances of that?
extralife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #22
Bacchus

Quote:
It didn't matter whether they knew it or not. The one thing they most certainly knew was that they were never going to let Joe Flacco walk. To let him go would be to blow up the entire roster. The amount of times that a competitive team has let a QB in his prime leave via free agency is hovering somewhere around zero. So they tried to gamble that something would happen during the season that would somehow convince Flacco to take less money than they were offering in the summer. What were the chances of that?
Actually, that is the way it was playing out. Flacco was playing horribly and the Ravens were on the verge of missing the Playoffs before Rapistberger got hurt and the Steelers started to falter. If they would have missed the playoffs Flacco would have been lucky to get $80 million.

Sure they got the SB, but now they have to pay the price for that success in Flacco's overpaying. I'm sure it is worth it afterall they got a SB championship but now is time for the pain.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #23
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I think they were dumb to pay him top money because he had one good offseason where he rode Anquan Boldin's coattails.
This. The dumb move is giving him top money. He had one great, but fluky post-season where an inordinate amount of low percentage bombs paid off. He had a terrible regular season, and if the refs don't hand Baltimore a gift in the 2nd round they probably bring Flacco back on a year deal for another "prove-it" season. If he had won in the post-season with precision passing and sustaining drives, I would give more credence to the idea that he's turned some corner, but this was just an odd, low percentage streak that he got on. He'll be the same old streaky, frustrating Joe he's always been this season, I suspect.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #24
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
This. The dumb move is giving him top money. He had one great, but fluky post-season where an inordinate amount of low percentage bombs paid off. He had a terrible regular season, and if the refs don't hand Baltimore a gift in the 2nd round they probably bring Flacco back on a year deal for another "prove-it" season. If he had won in the post-season with precision passing and sustaining drives, I would give more credence to the idea that he's turned some corner, but this was just an odd, low percentage streak that he got on. He'll be the same old streaky, frustrating Joe he's always been this season, I suspect.
Flacco had all the leverage.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #25
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I wonder what Flacco thinks of Moore if he calls his own FO dumb!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote