The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #1726
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,478

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Coach Golden has accepted the Penn State offer.

Good luck to him. Although I dislike the Fighting Pedos, I will root for them to be successful because I'm a fan of Al. Despite his game day deficiencies, he will be remembered very well. He guided us thru the cloud and stuck with us when it looked like an awful job and used his tremendous recruiting prowess to restock the cupboard even with a hand tied behind his back. I hope Miami can maintain the Top 5 class we have now. He will be very successful at PSU and his Northeastern style S&C program will be a great fit for that team. He was a tremendous CEO and ambassador here.....brilliant at all things PR related. He will build a pipleline into NJ for PSU.

Congrats Rev. Give him strong coordinators and he will be the real deal.
__________________


Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #1727
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 8,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Coach Golden has accepted the Penn State offer.

Good luck to him. Although I dislike the Fighting Pedos, I will root for them to be successful because I'm a fan of Al. Despite his game day deficiencies, he will be remembered very well. He guided us thru the cloud and stuck with us when it looked like an awful job and used his tremendous recruiting prowess to restock the cupboard even with a hand tied behind his back. I hope Miami can maintain the Top 5 class we have now. He will be very successful at PSU and his Northeastern style S&C program will be a great fit for that team. He was a tremendous CEO and ambassador here.....brilliant at all things PR related. He will build a pipleline into NJ for PSU.

Congrats Rev. Give him strong coordinators and he will be the real deal.
who do you want as HC?

btw HAPPY NEW YEAR my friend
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #1728
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 
Say 'what' again, I dare you

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 10,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Great post. I don't get the cheering on your rivals thing.
revenue
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #1729
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,614

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Coach Golden has accepted the Penn State offer.

Good luck to him. Although I dislike the Fighting Pedos, I will root for them to be successful because I'm a fan of Al. Despite his game day deficiencies, he will be remembered very well. He guided us thru the cloud and stuck with us when it looked like an awful job and used his tremendous recruiting prowess to restock the cupboard even with a hand tied behind his back. I hope Miami can maintain the Top 5 class we have now. He will be very successful at PSU and his Northeastern style S&C program will be a great fit for that team. He was a tremendous CEO and ambassador here.....brilliant at all things PR related. He will build a pipleline into NJ for PSU.

Congrats Rev. Give him strong coordinators and he will be the real deal.
Now he just needs to talk Hackenberg into staying
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #1730
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,478

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Now he just needs to talk Hackenberg into staying
He will. Anything involving communication/relationship building/PR he is brilliant at.

Only thing to be slightly wary about is his DC Mark D'Onofrio, who was a former PSU LB himself. Golden is VERY loyal to him no matter what happens. if he is the DC, he will always be the DC. Coach D never had the talent to be fairly judged at what he prefers to do...coach a two gap 3-4 matchup zone defense....Golden and D'Onofrio are both Al Groh disciples. We ran both a 4-3 and a 3-4 but their preference is 3-4 if they can get the guys for it. D'Onofrio is not a bad coach despite what the stats say, he did great at Temple, but he doesn't get along well with kids and was very much disliked by the defensive players on a personal level.

In addition to Coach D, Golden will probably being Brennan Carroll with him to coach TEs. He is Pete's son and a good recruiter. He will also bring Paul Williams who is a very good DB coach.


Golden has a very distinctive S&C program which really emphasizes size. He wants big guys at every position. Big DL so they can two gap and stop the run and big LB and OL and RB. He has a nutrition program to supplement his strength program to ensure guys get bigger. You will see a huge emphasis on weight gain and IMO I think that is a good fit for a B1G team.
__________________


Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 01-04-2014 at 02:58 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #1731
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,478

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

This is well done.

__________________


Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #1732
orange crusher
Predominately Orange
 
orange crusher's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 2,622
Default

Congrats to the North Dakota State Bison on their third consecutive FBS championship!
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #1733
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,478
Default

Apparently the Sugar Bowl won got the Sooners Joe Mixon. Awesome.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #1734
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,478

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
who do you want as HC?

btw HAPPY NEW YEAR my friend
Thanks Paul, you too, it's not a happy new year so far, I loved this coach. I'm sad to lose him.

Whoever takes over needs to keep James Coley, Hurlie Brown and Barrow on the staff to save our class. I don't really have one guy I want. I have heard that the early favorites are Butch Davis, Rob Chudzinski and Greg Schiano.

Davis might be the best talent evaluator in the college game, really knows how to spot 2 and 3 star kids who are real talents (Dan Morgan, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Santana Moss....all low ranked HS kids with weak college offer sheets that Butch brought in). He isn't a terrific gameday coach though and he burned alot of bridges at the university when he left last time and has some UNC NCAA stench to him. Another major downside is age, he is 62. He desperately wants to come back and would definitely be embraced by alums and the community and many of the fans, but will face stuff resistance from his enemies within the administration and the BOT as well.


Chud was a player and also was the OC for Miami including during the 2001 title season, but he has been out of the college game for awhile and I don't think he is particularly dynamic as a recruiter. Also has the reputation of kinda a dick. Good offensive football coach though. I have my doubts about Chud, but that might be the first guy they turn to.

Schiano is a good 4-3 defensive coach and the one gap 4-3 Over is the best fit for the kind of athlete we usually get. He did a fine job as a DC here in 1999 and 2000 and is a good recruiter (he was the primary guy who brought DJ to Miami). He's a huge a-hole though and rubs alot of people the wrong way. He has turned down the Miami job twice in the past and is no lock to stay long term.

Mario Cristobal also is likely to apply. Mario has a charming personality and is a great recruiter in South Florida. A former player and assistant at UM. He did an nice job as HC at FIU, but would be totally out of his league as the HC at Miami. He also cut and run on us earlier this year when Golden hired him as the TE coach after he got fired by FIU but quit after a couple weeks and went to Bama for more money. Shalala likely hasn't forgotten that.

Most of the fans want "Olive Garden" aka Bobby Petrino. They know he is a scumbag both professionally and personally and they don't care. They think he is a great offensive mind and gameday coach and most of our fans are convinced that you can't win anything unless you have a huge douchebag as a coach (they point to Saban and Meyer as examples). He is a very popular choice among the fanbase. Due to his various issues, there is no way the administration will consider him. Shalala is all about image and all of her three hires have been good guy image guys. I don't want Petrino myself cause he would bolt or the SEC at the first sign of success.
__________________


Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 01-04-2014 at 10:48 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #1735
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,242
Default

He couldn't have accepted the offer. Munchak and Franklin are supposed to interview for the job today.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #1736
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,478

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Golden did a 180 and now is staying. I'm happy with that. It saves our class. Now just do something about Coach D and get Valentine back on board.
__________________


Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #1737
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,614

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Golden did a 180 and now is staying. I'm happy with that. It saves our class. Now just do something about Coach D and get Valentine back on board.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #1738
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,125

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange crusher View Post
Congrats to the North Dakota State Bison on their third consecutive FBS championship!

Proud to be a Bison. Woo!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #1739
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,478

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!
Seems Munchak is likely to be your coach
__________________


Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #1740
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,125

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Al Golden to coach NDSU. The better program.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #1741
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Seems Munchak is likely to be your coach
Only way I see them picking Munchak is if they deem Franklin a NFL flight risk.
He interviewed with Houston, Cleveland wants to talk to him and rumors are the Titans do as well.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #1742
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,478

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Seems the admin and 80% of the fanbase are angry right now. Talk that admin could fire Coach D (Goldens BFF) in retaliation.
__________________


Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #1743
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Seems the admin and 80% of the fanbase are angry right now. Talk that admin could fire Coach D (Goldens BFF) in retaliation.
So what has happened here?

Once Munchak was let go, PSU pulled the offer from Golden? And are now honed in on Munchak? Thus, Golden is crawling back to Miami and the fans/administration are angry at him for entertaining PSU? Or did Golden just have a change of heart and forego his dream job to stay at Miami?
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #1744
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,614

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
So what has happened here?

Once Munchak was let go, PSU pulled the offer from Golden? And are now honed in on Munchak? Thus, Golden is crawling back to Miami and the fans/administration are angry at him for entertaining PSU? Or did Golden just have a change of heart and forego his dream job to stay at Miami?
If that's the case and we TOTALLY ****ed Miami, I think I'm actually okay with it just to watch SoCal
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #1745
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Seems the admin and 80% of the fanbase are angry right now. Talk that admin could fire Coach D (Goldens BFF) in retaliation.
And what is that really going to do? You can't fire Golden, he's signed til like 2022 because you lied to him.
If you fire his friend then all you do is secure his departure the next time a good job opens or secure a future change of scenery for yourself.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #1746
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,535
Default

oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #1747
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,478

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
So what has happened here?

Once Munchak was let go, PSU pulled the offer from Golden? And are now honed in on Munchak? Thus, Golden is crawling back to Miami and the fans/administration are angry at him for entertaining PSU? Or did Golden just have a change of heart and forego his dream job to stay at Miami?
We don't know what happened. I heard many different things.

1. Golden didn't get an actual offer but was in discussions and waiting for the formal offer. He then heard about Munchak and got spooked and demanded an actual contract by a certain time or he would withdraw.

2. Golden received an actual offer, but wanted 24 hours to think about it as he was torn and his spouse really doesn't want to leave warm climate especially since her parents and his recently moved down to Florida as well.

3. Golden received an offer, was going to take it, had finally convinced his family to go up there but Penn St. made certain staff demands (ie no Coach D as the DC) and he rejected that.

Also just read PSU will not make a decision till late in the week now which suggests they didn't love Munchak or Franklin. I know Pete Lembo is being interviewed. EDIT: Now Munchak is denying he even interviewed lol.
__________________


Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 01-05-2014 at 07:35 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #1748
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
We don't know what happened. I heard many different things.

1. Golden didn't get an actual offer but was in discussions and waiting for the formal offer. He then heard about Munchak and got spooked and demanded an actual contract by a certain time or he would withdraw.

2. Golden received an actual offer, but wanted 24 hours to think about it as he was torn and his spouse really doesn't want to leave warm climate especially since her parents and his recently moved down to Florida as well.

3. Golden received an offer, was going to take it, had finally convinced his family to go up there but Penn St. made certain staff demands (ie no Coach D as the DC) and he rejected that.

Also just read PSU will not make a decision till late in the week now which suggests they didn't love Munchak or Franklin. I know Pete Lembo is being interviewed. EDIT: Now Munchak is denying he even interviewed lol.
Mort sent out a tweet. He definitely interviewed.
In terms of them waiting, I don't think it means that didn't love one of the other. I think it means there are several factions at work in play and each want their guy. More than likely you have 3-4 sects who each have powerful boosters in their corner.
Some don't want another coach who will use PSU to get another job, others want a "legacy" and some others want the best guy and don't want a guy with PSU ties so they can further distance themselves from Paterno.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:09 AM   #1749
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,722
Default

I hate to say it but PSU HC job isn't one I would touch if I was HC offered it. O'Brien made it sound the Paterno fraction was out of control and just wore him down to put that he had to leave (think RichRob at UM).
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #1750
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,614

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
We don't know what happened. I heard many different things.

1. Golden didn't get an actual offer but was in discussions and waiting for the formal offer. He then heard about Munchak and got spooked and demanded an actual contract by a certain time or he would withdraw.

2. Golden received an actual offer, but wanted 24 hours to think about it as he was torn and his spouse really doesn't want to leave warm climate especially since her parents and his recently moved down to Florida as well.

3. Golden received an offer, was going to take it, had finally convinced his family to go up there but Penn St. made certain staff demands (ie no Coach D as the DC) and he rejected that.

Also just read PSU will not make a decision till late in the week now which suggests they didn't love Munchak or Franklin. I know Pete Lembo is being interviewed. EDIT: Now Munchak is denying he even interviewed lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I hate to say it but PSU HC job isn't one I would touch if I was HC offered it. O'Brien made it sound the Paterno fraction was out of control and just wore him down to put that he had to leave (think RichRob at UM).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Mort sent out a tweet. He definitely interviewed.
In terms of them waiting, I don't think it means that didn't love one of the other. I think it means there are several factions at work in play and each want their guy. More than likely you have 3-4 sects who each have powerful boosters in their corner.
Some don't want another coach who will use PSU to get another job, others want a "legacy" and some others want the best guy and don't want a guy with PSU ties so they can further distance themselves from Paterno.
I'd like to think all of this could have been avoided had Penn State had the balls to stand up to the NCAA sanctions and likely ended up with a dramatically reduced "death sentence".

...but O'Brien still would've had NFL aspirations. It is what it is.

It's a shame that things didn't work out with Golden. SoCal's excited about a lot of what he brings to the table and it would've been great to have an alumn/former player calling the shots for another 20 years.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Denver Broncos