The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #1351
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
For the record, if Ohio State beats Sparty, they should play in the National Championship Game, in my opinion.

I'm a Big Ten fan and don't want to see an undefeated team from the conference getting screwed over, even if it's the hated Buckeyes.

I just like poking Urban Meyer and Ohio State fans with a stick now and then.

These grapes, they're sour....I have no problem admitting it.
I'm just glad the BCS is dead after this year.

Bring on the playoffs already!

Hell of a game last Saturday...your boys played damn good football.

What are your thoughts on Hoke?
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #1352
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Thanks....I fully expected Michigan to get blown out and was proud of the way they battled. I had no problem with Hoke going for the 2 point conversion....wasn't a big fan of the actual play call, but I thought going for the two point conversion was the right call, as Michigan couldn't stop Braxton Miller and Carlos Hyde (who I think will be an excellent pro) when either of them ran the ball.

I know a lot of Michigan fans are calling for Brady Hoke's head after this season, but I think that's a knee jerk reaction. I wouldn't mind seeing offensive coordinator Al Borges or offensive line coach Darrell Funk hit the road, but it sounds like both will be staying.

Brady Hoke has done an excellent job recruiting and he deserves a chance to build the team in his vision, with his recruits. The biggest disappointment for me this season was the inept and soft play of the offensive line. I know all of the interior lineman were freshmen or sophomores, but they were highly rated recruits and I expect a much higher and more physical level of play from a Michigan offensive line. Brady Hoke has made recruiting stud offensive lineman a high priority and after 3 years, I expected him to have built a bad ass line that mauls opponents and allows the RBs to dominate. Maybe they need a year of getting stronger and meaner, but that line is going to have play better next season and into the future if they want to compete for Big Ten Championships.

I'll give Brady Hoke another year or two before I start to get really impatient with him. I really like Brady Hoke as a person and know Michigan is his dream job and would love to see him succeed at Michigan.

Besides, I'm a fan of continuity and Michigan booted Rich Rodriguez after 3 seasons, which I was fine with as he didn't have much internal support from within and he always had factions at Michigan working against him behind the scenes. It didn't feel like a good fit and that's partially the fault of those working against him within the Michigan football family. Brady Hoke is seen as a 'Michigan Man' and thus will get more support and a few more seasons to prove himself. I don't really want to start over again before giving Brady Hoke a chance to build the program.

My dream coach at Michigan would have been Jim Harbaugh, but he wanted to coach in the NFL. Harbaugh is a real prick, but he would have been the perfect coach at Michigan if he had wanted to come back to coach his alma mater. I have no doubt that Harbaugh would have come to Michigan and turned them into a bad ass physical team very quickly.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #1353
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

I would hate Harbaugh at UM...because they would be good/great every single year. I just can't see him giving up competing for a Super Bowl every year to chase around 17 year old kids around in December...

Hoke is a good coach. Already won a BCS game and has been a worthy adversary to OSU in his 3 years.

The only way Hoke is axed is if UM has their "Urban Meyer" ready to go. That would be a Harbaugh or Les Miles type...
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #1354
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
I would hate Harbaugh at UM...because they would be good/great every single year. I just can't see him giving up competing for a Super Bowl every year to chase around 17 year old kids around in December...

Hoke is a good coach. Already won a BCS game and has been a worthy adversary to OSU in his 3 years.

The only way Hoke is axed is if UM has their "Urban Meyer" ready to go. That would be a Harbaugh or Les Miles type...
I agree....if Jim Harbaugh would have wanted to coach at Michigan it would have happened 3 year ago when he left Stanford for the 49ers. Michigan showed some interest in Harbaugh, but it was apparent that he wanted to coach in the NFL.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #1355
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

As a Michigan Man, this is something you might find fascinating reading, SSJ.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Out-Rodr.../dp/B0085RZPY6

Seems this was very thorough and very well done. One Canes fan on one of the Miami forums I frequent was raving about this book even though he has no connection to Michigan or Rich Rod. Might get a copy myself.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #1356
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
As a Michigan Man, this is something you might find fascinating reading, SSJ.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Out-Rodr.../dp/B0085RZPY6

Seems this was very thorough and very well done. One Canes fan on one of the Miami forums I frequent was raving about this book even though he has no connection to Michigan or Rich Rod. Might get a copy myself.
Thanks....I actually read that book a year or two ago.

Made me a lot more sympathetic towards Rich Rodriguez.

He had factions within "The Fort", as the Michigan football family is known, working against him from day one and it's clear that it really hindered his ability to come in and build the program how he wanted to.

That book was well written and gives you some insight into all the bull**** and various things that college football coaches have to go through outside of simply recruiting and coaching.

It gave me a lot of insight about his tenure at Michigan and why things didn't work out. I know that part of was the product on the field, but there were some people that didn't want him there from the beginning and did whatever they could to ensure that he didn't succeed.

I root for Rich Rodriguez to do well at Arizona. I don't think he was the right fit for Michigan, but he deserved the full support from everyone involved with the program. I gained some respect for him after reading this book and lost some respect for others.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 12-05-2013 at 07:19 AM..
Old 12-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #1357
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

ASU ASU!!!

My annual post is just in time for them to clinch the Rose Bowl bid Saturday night!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #1358
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Chris Peterson is reportedly considering the UW job.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #1359
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Lulz at ESPN moving stuff around to get ready for the Winston Press Conf.

He isn't getting charged. I have it on good authority. They are waiting for something that isn't going to happen.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #1360
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Winston for the Heisman.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #1361
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Gutless Drunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #1362
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Rich Rod is the only losing coach that I can remember that I still like and root for.
The dirt they did on Rich Rod is biting us in the ass right now.
We have only won with his players and other than that have been a middle of the pack team.

I hope that all the 4-5 star talent we have been landing will develop and lead us back to prominence.
Al Borges should be fired but of course he won't be because he's Brady's guy and Hoke is a Michigan man.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #1363
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Winston for the Heisman.
Winston for Manning's replacement in 2 years.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #1364
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

The fact that "Michigan Men" is a thing is so incredibly stupid and a great example of why college athletics are permanently ****ed.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #1365
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
The fact that "Michigan Men" is a thing is so incredibly stupid and a great example of why college athletics are permanently ****ed.
It was a quote made by Bo Schembechler when addressing making Bill Frieder leave immediately before the tourney after annoucing he was going to Arizona St after the season.
Quote:
"A Michigan man will coach Michigan, not an Arizona State man."
He wanted guys who wanted to coach at Michigan and not just guys who were looking to jump for a pay raise. With that said, it is still a stupid thing that has been twisted by those who porport to be caring on his legacy.

Plus... All the men with ties to Michigan suck at coaching, can't get a HC gig, coach in the NFL or in Les Miles case... Will never coach at Michigan so long as Lloyd Carr is alive.

This is why Nebraska and other teams have issues as well. Most of the successful teams currently going hired guys who had no real connection to the university previously. They just came in, secured certain pay for their assistants and made sure they changed the culture.

Only Shaw really has a connection to the school before being on staff or being a HC there.

Last edited by Lestat; 12-05-2013 at 01:28 PM..
Old 12-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #1366
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Winston for Manning's replacement in 2 years.
I bet he comes out next year. If he wins a Heisman and a BCS NC, there isn't much else for him to do.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #1367
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
I bet he comes out next year. If he wins a Heisman and a BCS NC, there isn't much else for him to do.
It depends on how he is viewed though. Plus, maybe he enjoys college and wants to win another title or Heisman.
It's unlikely but it could happen.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #1368
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
It depends on how he is viewed though. Plus, maybe he enjoys college and wants to win another title or Heisman.
It's unlikely but it could happen.
I remember when Joe Mauer (Twins) committed to FSU.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #1369
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
It was a quote made by Bo Schembechler when addressing making Bill Frieder leave immediately before the tourney after annoucing he was going to Arizona St after the season.

He wanted guys who wanted to coach at Michigan and not just guys who were looking to jump for a pay raise. With that said, it is still a stupid thing that has been twisted by those who porport to be caring on his legacy.

Plus... All the men with ties to Michigan suck at coaching, can't get a HC gig, coach in the NFL or in Les Miles case... Will never coach at Michigan so long as Lloyd Carr is alive.

This is why Nebraska and other teams have issues as well. Most of the successful teams currently going hired guys who had no real connection to the university previously. They just came in, secured certain pay for their assistants and made sure they changed the culture.

Only Shaw really has a connection to the school before being on staff or being a HC there.
I went to OSU and the same bull**** is said about Urban Meyer all the time too. Everyone always talks about how Meyer "came home" to Ohio. There are so many silly things that people who are fans of college sports over pro ones love to talk about (The Pageantry! The Traditions!) that mean nothing. College athletics are corrupt and dirty and that's why Nick Saban and John Calipari are the best coaches. They realize this and don't give a **** about anything except winning in the context of the dirty, corrupt college sports landscape they exist in.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #1370
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Elway will pull a Dikta and trade all draft picks for Winston.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #1371
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Not worth it.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #1372
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Can we, at least, wait until Osweiler has some significant playing time? He has the size to be a great NFL quarterback. It's not known whether or not he has the other tools to be a great NFL quarterback...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #1373
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Can we, at least, wait until Osweiler has some significant playing time? He has the size to be a great NFL quarterback. It's not known whether or not he has the other tools to be a great NFL quarterback...
We should just draft Brock Jensen from NDSU. Remember how he dominated Kansas State?
Old 12-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #1374
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

A QB I like in the upcoming draft is David Fales from San Jose State.

His stock has got to be on the rise.

I come away a little more enamored with Fales every time I watch him play.

The passing display that David Fales and Derek Carr put on last week when San Jose State and Fresno State played was a lot of fun to watch.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #1375
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Fales is good. He would be great in the Chiefs dink and dunk offense. I don't think he has enough of a cannon to drive the ball downfield consistently.