The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #26
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
It will be the fastest Halftime show as Nails won't even say "Thank you" when he receives the award.
He's has a radio show here in Denver now. He says plenty. Quite the sea change.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #27
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
It will be the fastest Halftime show as Nails won't even say "Thank you" when he receives the award.
Isn't he on the radio now? ****ing lineman won't shut up now that they stopped playing.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #28
ol#7

Not sure why you don't think Craig Morton should be in Dom, took the Broncos not only to their first Playoff's ever, but SB. His Jersey was about to be retired, but he acquiessed to allow Elway the number and even said that "Elway would take #7 to the Hall of Fame." Class act and took Denver to then unmatched success. Don't think you give enough credit for the 77-82 run he had here.

Agree that Reeves should be in. Was a different era. I know people bash the offense, but there was no FA during most of that period and the USFL had messed up the talent allocations for a few years too. Only player we got from that was Freddie Gilbert. It was draft or bust, and he coached up those teams too. Elway wasnt always all world back then either.

I dont think Bowlen has ever forgiven Upchurch for the drug embarrassment. I still remeber the story, Upchurch likes to play on grass and get high on it.

Alzado also left on bad terms, but that was a different regime, so dont understand that snub. Simon Fletcher was underappreciated when he played, so why should retirement be any different?
Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #29
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
He's has a radio show here in Denver now. He says plenty. Quite the sea change.
It's one of the best things on sports radio. He was pretty raw when he first started. But I've learned so much about that guy.

For example
  • He's antisocial. He gets awkward and weird in front of people.
  • He doesn't like technology. No one calls him and he doesn't text.
  • He likes crossword puzzles. His wife and kids left town one weekend and was up all night doing a crossword puzzle.
  • He likes coaching. He wants to be an oline coach.
  • He knows a lot about sports. He enjoys hockey and baseball. He likes all the Boston teams except the Patriots, who he loathes.
  • He was one of the few who actually hated the players on the other team. Some guys would be friendly after games, he said he couldn't because he hated everyone.
  • He loves heavy metal and enjoys Metalica. His favorite song is Fade to Black.
  • He likes tough players. In basketball he likes players that play defense in a way that annoys scoring players.
  • He quotes Seinfeld quite a bit.
  • If you text him on the show, he'll text you back. We had a long conversation about which Metalica album was better and then he put some up for bumper music.

Between him and Les Shapiro, they really have a decent show going. He's freaking hilarious.

The rumors that he and Stink are on bad terms are totally false. The other day they had Schlereth on the show and they spent 15 minutes making fun of TD and the cheap golf clubs he bought the entire Oline - none of them played golf and TD did and he got a deal on them so that's why he bought them.

Then they made fun of Bubby Brister for a fair bit. It was really enjoyable to listen to. That oline was a pretty tight knit group for sure.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #30
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Wonder what he thinks about the Broncos bringing Gibbs in as a consultant
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #31
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

No-brainer. Congrats to Nails. Will be there to participate in standing O.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #32
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
[*]He doesn't like technology. No one calls him and he doesn't text.

(...)

[*]If you text him on the show, he'll text you back.

What?
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #33
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Love this, Nalen is a true warrior and the embodiment of that dominant Bronco offensive line that powered the offense.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #34
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Congrats to Nalen, well deserved.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #35
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Congrats! Well deserved.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #36
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Isn't he on the radio now? ****ing lineman won't shut up now that they stopped playing.
Gibbs is back. Just the fear from the past will shut him up.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #37
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Wonder what he thinks about the Broncos bringing Gibbs in as a consultant
He has mixed feelings about it. He recognizes that Gibbs is one of the best OL coaches in NFL history, but I don't think he likes him personally. He said Gibbs will eventually step on Magazu's toes, then move on to other areas of the team, like the QB & RB coaches, and try to tell them how to do their jobs.

He said that when Gibbs was just an OL consultant for the team in the 2000's, he would frequently try to tell the lineman do things his way, on a friday before the game, which was completey different than what they were taught during the week.

He is only half-joking when he speculates that he can see the day that eventually Gibbs will be yelling at Peyton at some point. I would pay admission to see that!
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #38
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
What?
You have to text "the show" and he'll respond. But he says he barely uses his personal phone.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #39
Punisher
®WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Money to Burn WOOOO®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

nice
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #40
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol#7 View Post
Not sure why you don't think Craig Morton should be in Dom, took the Broncos not only to their first Playoff's ever, but SB. His Jersey was about to be retired, but he acquiessed to allow Elway the number and even said that "Elway would take #7 to the Hall of Fame." Class act and took Denver to then unmatched success. Don't think you give enough credit for the 77-82 run he had here.

Agree that Reeves should be in. Was a different era. I know people bash the offense, but there was no FA during most of that period and the USFL had messed up the talent allocations for a few years too. Only player we got from that was Freddie Gilbert. It was draft or bust, and he coached up those teams too. Elway wasnt always all world back then either.

I dont think Bowlen has ever forgiven Upchurch for the drug embarrassment. I still remeber the story, Upchurch likes to play on grass and get high on it.

Alzado also left on bad terms, but that was a different regime, so dont understand that snub. Simon Fletcher was underappreciated when he played, so why should retirement be any different?
Personally, I love Craig Morton. He was my first Broncos "hero." 1977 was the first year I watched the Broncos, so I feel sentimental for Morton. When I was a kid, I had a book that detailed that '77 season. I would take that book to the park by my house, and replay the whole season in my imagination - again, and again. I loved him so much, I was disappointed when they gave that Elway kid Morton's number.

But, in retrospect, was Morton great, beyond the sentimental value of being the first QB to lead the Broncos to the Super Bowl? The Broncos were pretty good, the year before he arrived here. Under Steve Ramsey, they finished 9-5, and barely missed the playoffs.

The '77 team thrived because of their defense. If you look at Morton's stat line from '77, and compare it to Ramsey's from '76, they look pretty darn similar (and pretty darn mediocre). What Morton did was protect the ball a little better - a huge deal, for a defense as dominating as the Orange Crush.

To me, the Ring of Fame shouldn't be the Ring of Sentimental. It should be for the exceptional. If you were a Raiders fan, would you want Rich Gannon in their Ring of Fame (if they had one)? IMO, his career ran a similar arc as Morton's. He played six years there, took them to a Super Bowl, and even won an MVP. He was a gun for hire - a guy who fit exceptionally well into Marc Trestman's system. In his six years there, Gannon had three pretty good years, and one incredible year. Does that make him a Raider great? I hardly think so.

So, while I love Craig Morton, I just don't think he's a Broncos great.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote