The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #301
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Wish these systems would have been slimmer and not so portly.
Err...the PS4 is tiny...
Old 06-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #302
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
The Bioshock franchise falls into that category and while I don't like any of the entries nearly as much as System Shock 2 they're still very enjoyable games with top tier art direction and narrative.
Bioshock is bad and overrated. Bioshock Infinite is straight up terrible. They don't have top tier narrative anything. They have bottom tier storytelling. I'm actually qualified to make that claim. And I have, for some reason, written thousands and thousands of words on these games.

System Shock 2 is pretty incredible, though. It was also made in 1999. Game design was a very different beast in those days.

Not every AAA game is terrible, no. But the vast majority of them acquiesce to a very predictable, mostly hands-off set of design decisions that I have no interest in exploring (if you can even use that word), coupled with extremely inconsequential mechanics often meant to bridge the gap between QTEs. And most of them similarly have gross, teenage aesthetic and narrative trappings build around hyper violence, misogyny, and boring revenge or faux-justice narratives. For games where these things hold, I am not interested. There are thousands of games available to me to play at any one time. I have no need to drop $60 on anything built around systems, mechanics, and aesthetics that range anywhere from uninteresting to appalling.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #303
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Those are just the retail releases. The biggest innovation will come in Sony's indie titles, many of which were shown off yesterday as well. The guys who made Bastion have a new game called Transistor coming to PS4. Jonathan Blow, the creator of Braid, is making his next game The Witness for PS4 as well (both are console exclusives, FYI). This is because Sony is actually allowing indie designers to self publish on the PS4's marketplace.
Those are not "Sony's indie titles." They will be available everywhere. Sony is merely highlighting them (and giving some of them money) for publicity purposes. Anyone with a real interest in independent gaming beyond bullet points in favor of one gated hardware platform over another would do well to stick with PC, where independent games are released literally every day. Self-publishing on the PS4 is a big deal for developers, but unless you are allergic to playing games on a computer it's not that consequential for any informed gamer.

Last edited by extralife; 06-11-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #304
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Sure, but in about a year we'll probably be looking at something in the Titan/7990 core count as a $300 card, so then you'll want the GDDR5, and system memory won't be an adequate replacement due to lower bandwidth.

Regardless of the core count though, providing more GDDR5 for less cost will come as a result. Some will use that to add more ram, some will use the cost, heat, and energy savings to push the silicon further. No matter what it will subsidize the ramp up on a new fab process for a key graphics card component.
Guessing its 3 years before you see Titan performance in a single $250-$300 card.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #305
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Bioshock is bad and overrated. Bioshock Infinite is straight up terrible. They don't have top tier narrative anything. They have bottom tier storytelling. I'm actually qualified to make that claim. And I have, for some reason, written thousands and thousands of words on these games.

System Shock 2 is pretty incredible, though. It was also made in 1999. Game design was a very different beast in those days.

Not every AAA game is terrible, no. But the vast majority of them acquiesce to a very predictable, mostly hands-off set of design decisions that I have no interest in exploring (if you can even use that word), coupled with extremely inconsequential mechanics often meant to bridge the gap between QTEs. And most of them similarly have gross, teenage aesthetic and narrative trappings build around hyper violence, misogyny, and boring revenge or faux-justice narratives. For games where these things hold, I am not interested. There are thousands of games available to me to play at any one time. I have no need to drop $60 on anything built around systems, mechanics, and aesthetics that range anywhere from uninteresting to appalling.
I have to agree and that's one reason why I left the industry a few months ago. Naughty Dog are a nice exception. I thought AC2 was a tremendous game.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #306
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Bioshock is bad and overrated. Bioshock Infinite is straight up terrible. They don't have top tier narrative anything. They have bottom tier storytelling. I'm actually qualified to make that claim.
Everyone is qualified to state their opinion. I just hope you realize that's all you are doing.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #307
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Quote:
You're in luck then. The lead on Planetside 2 has already said it's coming to PS4, likely early on (some speculate at launch). They've been working hard on the port and will be using the multi-core engine they're developing for it to patch in superior multi-core support for the PC side Planetside 2 engine.

I'd agree. They built their system on the social nature of games and now are saying that in order to play socially with your friends you need to jump through all these hoops with having your profile on other people's systems, having a system limit attached to profiles, only being able to lend a game once, etc. etc.. It honestly misses the entire reason the Xbox 360 took off in the first place.

Also, why the hate on Civ IV? I get Not liking Civ V, it felt very watered down to me, but Civ IV with all the expansions is very good, and if you add the Legends of Revolution mod it gets pretty top tier if you ask me. I like III (not as much as Alpha Centauri, but it's still really good) but I now prefer IV.

That's Civ though. Everyone loves the first Civ game they pass 200 hours of play time in the most.
Agreed - I've played all the CIv games and Alpha Centauri extensively until Civ 5 and Civ 4 with the expansions is the best. I haven't modded much but after looking up the legends of revolution mod I am very intrigued.

Civ 5 was a huge dissapointment though I have heard that the expansion packs salvage the game, still I haven't brought myself to try them
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #308
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Interesting I thought people liked CIV5 (my spellchecker just tried to change that to COC). That dev team is filled with great guys and their lead designer, at least on 4, is about 26 and grew up playing Civ.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #309
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Interesting I thought people liked CIV5 (my spellchecker just tried to change that to COC). That dev team is filled with great guys and their lead designer, at least on 4, is about 26 and grew up playing Civ.
It felt like a dumbed down version of Civ 4 with better graphics. The beauty of the game was its incredible complexity that lends itself to enormous successful variations in play style
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #310
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I have Civ 4. It and Sim City are the only pc games I play.

And Dragon Age: Inquisition has me in the mood to play DA: Origins. Now the question is...which route do I go...Leliana, Morrigan or Alistair...decisions, decisions...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #311
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Which means you can access Netflix and other media apps without the Plus subscription.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #312
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Once again as a someone who will likely be a former 360 owner who paid for XBox live gold, that's a lateral move for me.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #313
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
"In over a decade of watching E3 events, I’ve honestly never seen one company completely and utterly destroy a competitor like what happened last night between Sony and Microsoft. It may sound like hyperbole, but what took place over the course of the day will send shockwaves through this entire next console generation. Sony is now simply in a position to dominate Microsoft when both the Playstation 4 and the Xbox One launch side by side this year. They weren’t content to merely watch Microsoft stumble, rather this was a targeted effort to directly humiliate their competition in a way that’s seldom been seen in this market before.

Things actually started out pretty well for Microsoft. They had a solid press event themselves, at least for 99% of it where they showed game after game after game in order to reassure their base that yes, this was indeed the system for the hardcore gamer. No talk of TV tuning or fantasy sports, and the Kinect wasn’t even mentioned, all items that core fans celebrated, and the games looked great too.

But it was in that last 1% where things took a turn. Microsoft announced the price of the Xbox One: $499. It was a shock for the wrong reasons. Many had expected the system to be no more than $399 at launch, or possibly even lower. The idea was that as an “entertainment box,” everyone should want one in their homes, regardless of whether they’re a die-hard gamer or not. A low price would encourage that. But a high one? It would surely have the opposite effect.

With that price, Microsoft immediately became solely reliant on hardcore gamers to make the Xbox One a success at launch, as they’re the only ones who would pay that much money for a game console. Unfortunately for Microsoft, that’s exactly the group they’ve been aggravating to no end over the past few weeks as they announced restrictive and confusing policies about reselling used games, lending them to friends, and having to have the console check in over the internet once a day. All of these were issues that weren’t even touched on during their press conference, and Microsoft hoped drowning their fans in new games would make them forget all about those concerns.

Enter Sony.

Ahead of the event, I remarked that Sony had an unprecedented opportunity to take advantage of Microsoft’s plight. By simply sticking to the status quo, allowing players to play offline and trade-in used games without restriction, they could not only retain their own fans, but steal legions from Microsoft in the process. I had my doubts they would do this however, as whatever system they had in place was likely to be fixed at that point ahead of E3. They may have adopted some variant of the Xbox One’s policies, and the two systems would simply be on equal footing in those areas, and consumers would suffer the consequences.

But that’s not what happened.

Normally, a standing ovation during an E3 press conference comes after the announcement of a specifically beloved title, or a demo of some truly amazing gameplay. But during Sony’s event last night, that reaction came after Sony said that the PlayStation 4 would fully support used games, allow for easy lending and would have absolutely zero online requirements to play single player games. The crowd, quite literally, went wild.

At that point, the tide was shifting in Sony’s favor. Fans and journalists alike mulled over what they’d just heard as Bungie showed footage from Destiny. But when the lights came back on, Sony’s knockout punch came with them. The system would be $399.

The ability to support used games and offline play would have been enough to give a distinct advantage to Sony, even if the prices were matched, but to have a full $100 difference between the two systems at launch? Sony didn’t just capitalize on Microsoft’s mistakes over the past few weeks. They picked up the ball Microsoft dropped, tossed it in the air, then smacked it out of the park. Then they turned and laughed in their faces, as seen in the video below, which already has 1.5M hits in the last twelve hours alone:

This is a combination of Microsoft creating a horrible mess for themselves, and Sony being smart enough to capitalize on the situation to the point where they outright embarrassed their rivals in front of millions. I’ve never seen anything like it at E3. Sony’s VP of Worldwide Studios spoke to Polygon about the feeling that accompanied these announcements, and the thought process leading up to them:

“It’s something that we believe in. We know gamers come first; we know what they want. I was personally overwhelmed with the massive explosion on Twitter, with everyone essentially begging, ‘Please don’t do this Sony, please don’t do this PlayStation!’ It was so hard not to say, right away, ‘Well, we never were going to do that, but now let’s have a little fun and announce it in a fun way at the PlayStation press conference.’

“I mean, that was such an amazing message,” Rohde said. “We kind of had a feeling; we kind of knew we were gonna land a little bit cheaper than those green guys. When it was verified this morning, we’ve just been walking around with smiles all day.”

Microsoft, as of now, is a bit harder to get a hold of, and is likely carefully crafting some sort of PR spin for all this (see their latest non-response at the end of Daniel’s post here). They have to get a handle on things, but it’s not just the press they have to contend with. Fans across every form of social media, even many self-proclaimed Xbox loyalists, are unanimously declaring Sony not only the winner of E3, but of the entire next console generation. Obviously, that’s going a bit far, but the messaging problem is more real now than ever. “RIP Xbox One, 2013-2013″ said one Reddit user, the sentiment posted on top of a picture of the console. This is a scary position for Microsoft to be in.

There are so many ways that Microsoft shot themselves in the foot here, it’s hard to even keep track of them all. First and foremost, the used game issue simply didn’t need to exist. Microsoft took far too long to convey the message that it was up to publishers to activate or deactivate used game sales, and by the time they did, people were already permanently upset with them. I completely empathize with their desire to push for digital distribution, but they got too far ahead of themselves. They could have set up an easy, convenient digital download network for new games that people could use if they so chose. But they also should have kept physical discs around for those who wanted them, and not used them as mere licenses to install content to a hard drive.

The same goes for the online check-in requirement. Microsoft was far too slow to clarify their position there, and though a once-a-day check-in is not “always on,” it’s not convenient either for those lacking internet, like soldiers deployed overseas. Is console piracy really so rampant that this system was necessary? I don’t believe so, and this was a fight that never should have been picked in the first place. Though again, this system also ties back to an ability to restrict used games.

And then there’s the price, driven up to an uncomfortable level by the burden of the Kinect. Across both the Xbox One reveal and Microsoft’s E3 press conference, we’ve seen the new version of Kinect do only a few things, namely control menus and TV inputs with gestures and voice commands. The Kinect wasn’t even mentioned when it came to nearly all of the games shown during yesterday’s conference. Microsoft is torn between wanting everyone to have a Kinect, but also realizing many of their fans hate hearing about it, which is why it was almost completely absent from the presentation yesterday. They can’t have it both ways, and its stuck them with a system that’s expensive because of a peripheral most of their fanbase didn’t want before, and certainly don’t want now as it’s been reclassified as some sort of Orwellian, always listening surveillance device. Even if it isn’t, again, it’s yet another Microsoft PR problem that spun out of control. It will be interesting to watch their stock prices this morning, and at the time of writing just after opening, MSFT is down 1.3% while SNE is up the same amount.

It would have been enough to let Microsoft dig its own grave, but Sony knocked them out with a shovel and started piling dirt on top of them for good measure. Metaphors aside, the Xbox One faces a very real challenge in trying to come up with selling points as to why it’s a more worthwhile purchase than the PS4.

There are its handful of exclusive titles that Sony doesn’t have like Titanfall, Halo, Gears of War, Dead Rising, and so on, but Sony has just as many worthy exclusives, if not more, on its side. Then there’s the Kinect, and the Xbox One’s TV tuning abilities, but in the end neither adds anything that you can’t do with a cable box and the “input” button on your remote control, items which people already own and don’t cost $500. I’m really stretching my brain here to carefully weigh both sides of the issue, but I simply cannot come up with a logical reason why someone on a limited budget would purchase an Xbox One over a PlayStation 4 this fall given the price and consumer friendly policies of the latter, and the complete disregard for common sense of the former.

All of this isn’t to say that Sony is guaranteed to “win” the next console generation outright. It will certainly have an advantage at launch, but after this fiasco Microsoft may do everything in their power to change the narrative, perhaps even walking back some of these controversial policies at some point, or shooting for an early price cut. And in the long run, I still believe deep down the Kinect has an incredible amount of untapped potential.

Or really, no one could win. Video game consoles face increased entertainment competition now more than ever before with mobile devices and the ever-present shadow of increasingly affordable and popular PC gaming. That said, I don’t subscribe to the idea that consoles are dead or dying. I just think there might be less of them in the future. Microsoft needs to hope the Xbox isn’t one of the first casualties.

There are many lessons to be learned here, the first and foremost being “listen to your customers.” Sony did, Microsoft didn’t, and the result was nothing short of a gut-wrenching fatality, and a flawless victory for the wiser party.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...box-one-at-e3/

Aside from his opinion on the Kinect, this author nails it in his op-ed.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #314
lolcopter

ps4 is gonna CRUSH the xbone
Old 06-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #315
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Once again as a someone who will likely be a former 360 owner who paid for XBox live gold, that's a lateral move for me.
paying an xbox live fee to be able to watch netflix is bull****
Old 06-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #316
yerner
Ring of Famer

i know i'm a day or so late, but that ps4 game sharing commercial is ****ing epic. phenomenal advertising.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #317
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

You also get two free games a month. Like ACII and Halo 3...

Old 06-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #318
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
paying an xbox live fee to be able to watch netflix is bull****
It is. I can plug it into my BluRay player and it will stream for free. However since I use my Live membership for other things, I don't feel like I'm paying just for that.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #319
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Err...the PS4 is tiny...
Doesn't look like it to me:

Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #320
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

PS4 is slightly larger then the current PS3. Looks good though.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #321
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Its a bit better than a lateral move as PS+ (the service Sony is now requiring for online play) has up to this point and continuing onward been more like a "Cheese of the Month" club for video games, where they give out new games every month for PS+ subscribers.

Every E3 they update a handful of year round offers, so this is a VERY heavy month for PS+ offers, but right now having a sub lets you play Deus Ex: Human Revolutoin, Saints Row III (in a week or so when it goes live), Uncharted 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and Little Big Karting without any additional money down. There are also some indie/small studio titles included (like Machinarium this month). It's a pretty amazing value if you like a diverse selection in games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
5 moved the depth and subsystems list backwards from 4, which you could somewhat see because it is pretty intimidating, but core Civ fans like the depth. Also, the Legends of Revolution mod felt like a more effective city state/minor nations implementation than what Civ 5 did and teh city state system was supposed to be the big new addition.

I like the hex grid map and upgraded visuals, but I need that deeper more instanced simulation to keep me engaged. Nothing like having everything break right early in a game and find yourself rolling helicopters against archers by ~1750.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #322
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

will PS3 games be compatible on the PS4?

Microsoft is really ****ting themselves with their current releases. Windows 8 is a piece of **** that makes Vista look good. and then this X-Box fiasco.

Sony will own the gaming sales for a long time.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #323
Dexter
Pro Bowler

Bay Harbor Butcher

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yC8FbgGnd0

I'll just leave this right here..
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #324
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

I'm officially old because this is the first generation of game consoles about which zero f--ks will be given from me. But I'll buy them both for the lulz.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #325
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I'm officially old because this is the first generation of game consoles about which zero f--ks will be given from me. But I'll buy them both for the lulz.
you can't be too old if you're incapable of writing two sentences without appealing to two meaningless internet memes.