The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #226
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

I'll just get both as usual, but you "grown ups" continue with your console flame war it amuses me
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #227
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
are you seriously doing this

people with any actual maturity do not run from things with color or whimsy. it's ok, the bad guys can't make fun of you anymore.

I don't think Nintendo is especially great anymore, but their systems are certainly the only systems with appreciable unique and exclusive content. if you have a gaming PC there is zero reason to even consider an Xbox Whatever or a Playstation The Next One.
Sony's first party is pretty damn strong and they make (or fund) a ton of really unique content. As someone who owns every console and bought my PS3 last of the three this generation, I can safely say that Sony has had by far the best exclusive catalog over the last three years of all three platform manufacturers, for example.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #228
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobzilla View Post
I'll just get both as usual, but you "grown ups" continue with your console flame war it amuses me
This is what I normally do but I'm actually going to sit out the Xbox One. The always online, publisher control of used game sales, constant milking of the same franchises (more Halo while Bungie is off doing something new and interesting), weaker hardware, and now a $100 higher price point? I can live without that console just fine if it sends a message to the industry about what restrictions I will and won't tolerate.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #229
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
You'll be happy to know that Sony had Bungie (makers of Halo) help them design the analog sticks on the new Dual Shock 4. Supposed to be fantastic.
Speaking of that, bungie just made microsoft's halo franchise obsolete with their new game "destiny". Looks like a hybrid halo/mass effect game.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #230
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Sony has had by far the best exclusive catalog over the last three years of all three platform manufacturers, for example.
the volume certainly appears to be there, but I don't have a PS3 and there has never been a point where I've said to myself "man, it sucks that I don't have a PS3." I would like to play Journey one day, but that's about it. and Jenova Chen and his crew are multiplatform now, so that's not an issue in the future.

people are going to scream Uncharted or whatever. if you like that kind of crap, that's fine, but I've less than zero interest in walking forward every now and again to watch a really bad movie (that I paid 60 dollars for). naughty dog might be worth $400 dollars to some people, I don't know, people like all sorts of crazy ****.
extralife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #231
Agamemnon

Quote:
are you seriously doing this

people with any actual maturity do not run from things with color or whimsy. it's ok, the bad guys can't make fun of you anymore.

I don't think Nintendo is especially great anymore, but their systems are certainly the only systems with appreciable unique and exclusive content. if you have a gaming PC there is zero reason to even consider an Xbox Whatever or a Playstation The Next One.
I don't have a problem with color and whimsy. I have a problem with playing the same ultra-recycled franchises I played when I was a kid, and I find it amusing that a) a person could possibly perceive the Wii U as a next gen choice and b) would buy a massively underpowered system because they perceive said ultra-recycled franchises as "exclusives" to actually get excited about. Honestly I find the notion that anyone who has gone through puberty would actually prefer that steaming pile of **** over a PS4 simply hilarious, but hey to each their own.

Nintendo...
Old 06-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #232
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Xbox zero is for amateurs.

PS4 will blow the Xbox zero out of the water.
Called it.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #233
extralife
Ring of Famer

yes, Nintendo is mostly recycled franchises, but so is anything you'll ever play on an Xbox or a PS. what that has to do with puberty is something you'll have to enlighten me on. don't actually do that, though.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #234
Agamemnon

Quote:
the volume certainly appears to be there, but I don't have a PS3 and there has never been a point where I've said to myself "man, it sucks that I don't have a PS3." I would like to play Journey one day, but that's about it. and Jenova Chen and his crew are multiplatform now, so that's not an issue in the future.

people are going to scream Uncharted or whatever. if you like that kind of crap, that's fine, but I've less than zero interest in walking forward every now and again to watch a really bad movie (that I paid 60 dollars for). naughty dog might be worth $400 dollars to some people, I don't know, people like all sorts of crazy ****.
The Last of Us is the first PS3 exclusive I really wish I could play. I even briefly thought of picking up a used PS3 just for that purpose, but I just can't bring myself to pay that much money to play one game that doesn't sound like it has that much replayability. Too bad I won't be able to play it on the PS4 either...
Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #235
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Too bad I won't be able to play it on the PS4 either...
they're doing something with backward compatibility and cloud streaming. it's probably locked behind a monthly fee, but I'd imagine you'll at least have the option of playing PS3 first party stuff on the PS4 eventually.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #236
Agamemnon

Quote:
yes, Nintendo is mostly recycled franchises, but so is anything you'll ever play on an Xbox or a PS. what that has to do with puberty is something you'll have to enlighten me on. don't actually do that, though.
As in anyone who isn't a child? It's not that complicated...
Old 06-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #237
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
As in anyone who isn't a child? It's not that complicated...
you said the aesthetic was not the problem. if the problem is sequelitis, that problem applies everywhere, which means it has jack all to do with age.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #238
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
What's funny is I cant stand the Xbox controller. Always thought it was too bulky and heavy.

You're not talking about the original full sized xbox (1st generation) controllers are you? I have a couple of those and those were pretty comically large.

Since they scaled it down I think they easily have the best controller on the market.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #239
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Agamemnon... lol.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #240
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobzilla View Post
I've never really seen the need. 90% of games are cross-platform and I'd rather invest in PC gaming as well rather than two different consoles with nearly identical game libraries (PC has more exclusives than any platform honestly). But if you're made out of money no reason not to buy them all I suppose.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #241
Agamemnon

Quote:
you said the aesthetic was not the problem. if the problem is sequelitis, that problem applies everywhere, which means it has jack all to do with age.
All Nintendo has is sequels (which if numbered would be in the high teens I would guess) and they pretty much are all kid-oriented. I'm not too good to give a kids game a whirl from time to time, but to buy a marginal system just to play kids games? Sorry, but it just amuses me. I don't really care, and I don't generally get involved in "console flaming" or whatever you want to call it, but Rigs original post about sticking with PC and Nintendo because of "great graphics and exclusives" just made me laugh (the juxtaposition of PC and Nintendo amused me most of all as they are universes apart in terms of "great graphics and exclusives") .
Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #242
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
You're not talking about the original full sized xbox (1st generation) controllers are you? I have a couple of those and those were pretty comically large.

Since they scaled it down I think they easily have the best controller on the market.
They were. And then the RROD kept hitting my buddy's Xbox360. I decided I did not need Fable or Gears of War that badly.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #243
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Speaking of that, bungie just made microsoft's halo franchise obsolete with their new game "destiny". Looks like a hybrid halo/mass effect game.
I would more liken it to Halo meets Borderlands. Loot as a key game play mechanic and all.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #244
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
All Nintendo has is sequels (which if numbered would be in the high teens I would guess) and they pretty much are all kid-oriented. I'm not too good to give a kids game a whirl from time to time, but to buy a marginal system just to play kids games? Sorry, but it just amuses me. I don't really care, and I don't generally get involved in "console flaming" or whatever you want to call it, but Rigs original post about sticking with PC and Nintendo because of "great graphics and exclusives" just made me laugh (the juxtaposition of PC and Nintendo amused me most of all as they are universes apart in terms of "great graphics and exclusives") .
I think you're forgetting the part where having a PC essentially covers owning an Xbox or a Playstation. so if you have an interest in Nintendo games, then you buy the Nintendo system. the PC covers the rest. believe it or not, but it is actually possible to want to play both Nintendo games and non Nintendo games.

and again, most games in general are sequels. as for kids: a decent Mario game or Animal Crossing or something strikes me as far more "adult" than angry white dude in a hoodie stabbing people in the face in slow motion, which is essentially what console gaming boils down to in 2013.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #245
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Console wars are very 1990s. Find a system you like and go with it(includes PC). Nintendo has a niche market, they know what will bring in enough $ to make that system worth it.

Microsoft did not do themselves any favors today though. Almost seemed like they expected Sony to do the same things in regards to used games and the online requirements, then having Sony undercut them (with a more pricey machine per component) by $100. Ouch.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #246
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
They were. And then the RROD kept hitting my buddy's Xbox360. I decided I did not need Fable or Gears of War that badly.

Meh, it could be worse. I think they're still covering the RRoD. Like I said before, the Kids' Wii needs its third drive replacement, even though it's 2-3 years newer. And I'm on the hook for the part, if I bother fixing it at all.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #247
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Meh, it could be worse. I think they're still covering the RRoD. Like I said before, the Kids' Wii needs its third drive replacement, even though it's 2-3 years newer. And I'm on the hook for the part, if I bother fixing it at all.
Nintendo has a nostalgia factor for me. Other day I found my N64, a component cable and a few games (perfect dark, goldeneye and donkeykong) when I was cleaning out the trunk of my car. Thinking about setting it up if I can find a new controller for it. Also found a box of my old PS1 games. Black discs are funny as hell now.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #248
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Chen's Thatgamecompany is more or less fractured all over the place and Chen's comments imply they'll be targeting smartphones more than anything else.

That said, all three of Journey, Flower, and Flow make a compelling set. I would also add Infamous and it's sequels (best sand box games of the generation), Valkyria Chronicles, LittleBigPlanet, three good Ratchet and Clank games, a good Sly Cooper 4, The Last of Us which looks like a game of the year contender, etc. Sony has actually been funding new and experimental concepts in games. Go check out Unfinished Swan, Puppeteer, or Rain for recent examples out or coming soon.

Of course Sony has become a software strong company thanks to dropping the ball on PS3 hardware, losing marketshare and exclusive 3rd party support in the process. But their attempts to play catch up have been very programmer this generation.

I'm not an Uncharted fan myself by the way, it's a waste of ND's talent. Last of Us is them heading in the right direction. More freedom in game play with short bursts of content rich narration.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #249
extralife
Ring of Famer

Puppeteer looks decent. Rain looks try-hard. Flow was a PC game before a PS3 game, and I've at least played Flower on a friend's system. No interest in anything else you mentioned.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #250
Agamemnon

Quote:
Console wars are very 1990s. Find a system you like and go with it(includes PC). Nintendo has a niche market, they know what will bring in enough $ to make that system worth it.

Microsoft did not do themselves any favors today though. Almost seemed like they expected Sony to do the same things in regards to used games and the online requirements, then having Sony undercut them (with a more pricey machine per component) by $100. Ouch.

I'm not so sure it's a more pricey machine when you factor in the Kinect. That thing can't be cheap to manufacture if its as sensitive and precise as they want us to believe. Of course they could've not been dip****s and simply not included something most people don't really care about. The Kinect had novelty going for it when it first came out but that's wearing off and people are starting to realize the games for it mostly suck. What's really weird is the insistence on including Kinect with every Xbox and the near complete lack of new Kinect games that have been shown so far.