The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Bacchus

Default "Time Running Out on Peyton Manning"

Peyton Manning must win second Super Bowl to cement legacy

By Adam Schein Columnist, NFL.com
Published: May 21, 2013 at 11:31 a.m.

Friend(s) Email

Time running out for Peyton Manning? Stop what you are doing. Listen closely. Do you hear that creaking sound?

That's the window closing on Peyton Manning's bid to win that ultra-important second Super Bowl.

He's an all-time great, a legendary quarterback. On a personal note, he is my favorite quarterback to watch. I want him as my quarterback. The intensity, the arm strength and the pure skill are remarkable. His numbers are superb. He is literally responsible for a new stadium being built in Indianapolis, and for the city hosting a Super Bowl.

But he doesn't have the jewelry, the multiple championships, to match his greatness. And Manning, the ultimate student of the game, knows how quarterbacks are judged.

Yes, the Denver Broncos' loss to the Baltimore Ravens last season was another playoff defeat in which Manning, seen as a heavy favorite, was bested by a team thought to be inferior.

I got to thinking about Manning, the 2013 Broncos and Manning's legacy while sipping my coffee and perusing Peter King's latest "Monday Morning Quarterback" column on SI.com. Tom Brady told King, "I've never felt better throwing the football," before going into great detail as to why that's the case.

The rest of the article here: Much more to read: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-cement-legacy
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Sadly time is running out on all of us.

CARPE DIEM!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Bacchus

There is a lot wrong with the article. First of all No experts predicted Denver to go 13-3 last year. Now the guy is saying this year will be tougher. He goes on to say KC and SD have improved themselves.... Really? Is anyone predicting them to even get a wild card let alone wining the division over the Broncos.

I think Elway was thinking year two and three were the Broncos' bets chances to win a SB and that still holds true, no matter what happened last year. Denver is better prepared to win it all this year.

What the author states about Manning's legacy though is dead on. He is in Brady's shadow and even in Eli's shadow. One SB will vault him into the talk of the best ever. Two SB wins and there will be no doubt.

Now lets get it on!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
SimonFletcher73
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Goose Gonsoulin

"Outside the division, I think the San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Atlanta Falcons, Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots and Houston Texans are all better than Denver on paper."

The author is a moron.
SimonFletcher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I'm not so sure why that write is hell bent that last year he had a better shot at winning the Superbowl then this year. The team has improved this year. Manning's that much further along in his rehab and knowing the players and plays. He's sure to have even more confidence this year. I'm sure, if we stay healthy, we'll have our 12 or 13 wins. It just comes down to stepping up in the playoffs. I'm hoping this team plays pissed off with a dire purpose this year, sorta like the 97 Broncos did after the sour taste of 96.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Headline: "Peyton Manning must win second Super Bowl to cement legacy"

First full paragraph:
Quote:
He's an all-time great, a legendary quarterback. On a personal note, he is my favorite quarterback to watch. I want him as my quarterback. The intensity, the arm strength and the pure skill are remarkable. His numbers are superb. He is literally responsible for a new stadium being built in Indianapolis, and for the city hosting a Super Bowl.
So an all-time great legend who is "literally responsible for a new stadium" MUST win a second Super Bowl to "cement" his legacy? Lolololol.

Winning another Super Bowl would be another feat of brilliance to add to his career, but it's not the difference between him being one of the best of all time or not being in that class. It's maybe the difference between a couple pegs of where he's ranked within every Top 5 QB list from now to eternity.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Did not read derpfest.
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I'm not so sure why that write is hell bent that last year he had a better shot at winning the Superbowl then this year. The team has improved this year. Manning's that much further along in his rehab and knowing the players and plays. He's sure to have even more confidence this year. I'm sure, if we stay healthy, we'll have our 12 or 13 wins. It just comes down to stepping up in the playoffs. I'm hoping this team plays pissed off with a dire purpose this year, sorta like the 97 Broncos did after the sour taste of 96.
That is what I thought. It sounded as if the Author thought that Denver's best chance of winning the SB was last year when nothing could be further from the truth.

2012 obstacles towards SB
Missed 2011 season
coming off four neck surgeries
New team
New teammates
different system
Young, inexperienced, unproven WRs

This season none of those obstacles are there.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonFletcher73 View Post
"Outside the division, I think the San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Atlanta Falcons, Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots and Houston Texans are all better than Denver on paper."

The author is a moron.
A lot depends on our RB position. If Ball can win the job or at least not **** the bed we could be unstoppable.

Upon reflection it really took PM 5 and one half games to get back in sync. He is going to be better out of the gate and hopefully his arm is stronger after a offseason without setbacks.

I remember watching games late in the season where everything (minus a Decker trip, or McGahee fumble) was clicking and they were destroying the teams and thinking this is fun. No reason the expectations should be lower especially after the FA signings and Draft we just had.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Yep it's all true. Thats good though it means Broncos will be peddle to the floor this yr. They will be selling out because for almost all of them this could be their only chance to win a superbowl.

For Elway he pulls this off and he is the new golden boy of the GM NFL fraternity. No way we are playing conservative this yr. Last yr Clady got dinged, Kuper was a wreck, this yr we will have a healthy Clady and a new RG. We won't have to go conservative in the playoffs we will be able to throw it.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

This still isn't close to the Broncos best offense. So the defense needs to be really good.

Shannon Sharpe, TD, Rod Smith, Eddie Mac, Zimmerman, Stinky, Nalen, Griffith, Elway give me a break that offense was loaded.

These guys are good but before i say best offense they have to blow everyone out.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
A lot depends on our RB position. If Ball can win the job or at least not **** the bed we could be unstoppable.

Upon reflection it really took PM 5 and one half games to get back in sync. He is going to be better out of the gate and hopefully his arm is stronger after a offseason without setbacks.

I remember watching games late in the season where everything (minus a Decker trip, or McGahee fumble) was clicking and they were destroying the teams and thinking this is fun. No reason the expectations should be lower especially after the FA signings and Draft we just had.
A lot of times when players don't wow us first yr we forget about them. Don't sleep on Hillman. He was a deer in the headlights last yr but IMO will be a big part of the offense this yr. I don't think Broncos will lean on Montee Ball that much early on. They probably do hope though that by end of the yr he is playing and contributing. Then maybe next yr he starts.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Mark it down............this season will be similar to 98...........we are gonna roll.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Manning's body of work speaks for itself. Like all the greats before him, his legacy will only grow following his retirement.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #15
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

What a hack
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #16
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
A lot of times when players don't wow us first yr we forget about them. Don't sleep on Hillman. He was a deer in the headlights last yr but IMO will be a big part of the offense this yr. I don't think Broncos will lean on Montee Ball that much early on. They probably do hope though that by end of the yr he is playing and contributing. Then maybe next yr he starts.
I agree, I like what Hillman has done in the past.

If we do more one cut running and blocking or cutting the back side all of the backs that can get into that type of flow to make a single cut then run downhill will benefit. I think Hillman, McGahee, JJ if he makes the squad and Both Balls should do well in that kind of system.

I agree about Ball not getting a lot of touches early. If he has some big time ST hit that proves he wants to play and play hard then maybe they move him up faster a la TD but that remains to be seen. I think it is McGhee's job to loose, and figure he will lose it by November via injury or fumbling. Then it will be MoneyBAlls time to shine and if he steps on his dick then maybe KM gets a chance to dress and contribute. Despite what I have just typed in this paragraph I see Hillman taking 10-17 touches in maybe 20 plays per game no matter who is starting. Hoping to see him getting more pitches outside where he can use his speed to get to the edge and take it up field. I would love to see him running inside in a typical offset I formation with a solid blocking FB clearing the way. Not sure if Hester can do that or if they throw a bigger tackle or even TE back there. Would love to see Hillmans speed bursting through the middle of the field.

Our problems and questions are good ones this year and we still have some ability to sign some guys at the end of their career who can contribute.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #17
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
This still isn't close to the Broncos best offense. So the defense needs to be really good.

Shannon Sharpe, TD, Rod Smith, Eddie Mac, Zimmerman, Stinky, Nalen, Griffith, Elway give me a break that offense was loaded.

These guys are good but before i say best offense they have to blow everyone out.
Well hold on there for a second cowboy. Let your Elway boner calm down a bit.

First off, the QB is a wash. Manning is as good, if not better, then Elway was at this age. Thomas has more ability then Rod Smith had. Decker is more athletic then Mac but probably not as good hands. Not taking anything from Smith or Mac, but they did have the ultimate ground game (which they helped contribute to) to allow them more single matchups. I think that line was obviously better but really hard to compare because the schemes were so different. And there is no comparing any of our current RB's to TD. We hope Ball can be there one day but as of now, not even close. And Sharpe was obviously head and shoulders better then anybody we have now. But this team now also has the best slot WR in the league and the 97 team didn't. So they very different offenses. But I would lean towards the 97 team being a little better. But it's not like it's a monster gap so when you say it isn't even close, I suggest you go back and look at some stats and you'll change your tune. It's much closer then you think.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
There is a lot wrong with the article. First of all No experts predicted Denver to go 13-3 last year. Now the guy is saying this year will be tougher. He goes on to say KC and SD have improved themselves.... Really? Is anyone predicting them to even get a wild card let alone wining the division over the Broncos.

I think Elway was thinking year two and three were the Broncos' bets chances to win a SB and that still holds true, no matter what happened last year. Denver is better prepared to win it all this year.

What the author states about Manning's legacy though is dead on. He is in Brady's shadow and even in Eli's shadow. One SB will vault him into the talk of the best ever. Two SB wins and there will be no doubt.

Now lets get it on!!!
i agree. Elway and everyone involved thought that last year was the getting to know you year and this year and next were the everything is on the line years.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #19
Agamemnon

Quote:

The author is a moron.
That statement is odd in the extreme. We have Manning + the best receiving corps in the league + a top 5 defense. What exactly is he looking at?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #20
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
That statement is odd in the extreme. We have Manning + the best receiving corps in the league + a top 5 defense. What exactly is he looking at?
The first five weeks of last years schedule.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #21
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Manning's body of work speaks for itself. Like all the greats before him, his legacy will only grow following his retirement.
Including being a playoff gagger?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #22
spiralism

I think when we signed Manning everyone expected it would be year two that we would make the real push, last year we were just surprised by how good we got so quickly but the flaws showed through. Year two we don't have McCoy, we have a Defence playing the same system two years straight (at last), considerable improvements to the side in Welker, DRC, Knighton, Williams and Vasquez and we have Manning a season removed from surgery and with significant offensive development done. DT and Decker with a season behind them and another offseason's progress to come AS WELL as Welker?

It really is all about execution. As in, if that team doesnt win, it deserves execution.

Last edited by spiralism; 05-22-2013 at 04:05 AM..
Old 05-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #23
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:

The author is a moron.
I don't know if he's a moron. A legitimate argument can be made for each of those teams.

Edit: Maybe not the Texans
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #24
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

For the record, Adam Schein is an annoying douche nozzle.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #25
B-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post

Now lets get it on!!!
The Chargers are in rebuild mode on many facets of that team (Rivers is going to get ****ing killed behind that lne this year), and does anyone honestly believe Alex Smith is gonna rock the division? The average 1st round QB that got benched for a playmaker, that Alex Smith?

I don't know, Dan Marino is in the discussion, every discussion as one of the best to ever play the game, and Marino WAS the Dolphins for many, many years..... Manning will be no different and he has a ring.

I think this year will come down to John Fox to be honest. I still think his conservative style of coaching costs this team, maybe Elways will sit him down and tell him to stop being such a p***Y.

This team will waste this Division, probably get a bye, then who knows what Broncos team shows up in the playoffs...