The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #126
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
How are you over it already? Are you like a Cubs fan? Win/Lose, who gives a ****?
Just going out on a limb here, but he's probably an adult. An adult who has learned that sometimes things don't go your way, AND YOU HAVE TO ****ING DEAL WITH IT.

Or you could stomp your feet and clench your fists and yell at the clouds. That's what you've chosen to do.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:38 AM   #127
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Well would you look at that - Pro Football Focus, widely regarded as one of the best sites for football analysis on the internet, took a look at Moore recently and had nothing but positive things to say; even going as far as to call him one of the more promising young defenders in the league. Yet, some on the mane would have you believe he's not NFL material.

Quote:
Can one play define a player’s career? That is the dilemma we face with our latest Secret Superstar, Rahim Moore. The Denver Broncos’ second-year safety proved himself to be one of the best at his position in 2012. He attacked his biggest weakness from a rough rookie season and turned it into a strength. In doing so, he earned positive grades in all aspects of his game.

Yet to most fans, Moore’s name is synonymous with one of the most embarrassing plays in NFL postseason history. As good as he was, not many outside Denver knew the young safety until they saw him tumbling to the ground, helpless to stop Jacoby Jones from catching a game-tying touchdown. When the Baltimore Ravens eventually eliminated the Broncos in overtime of their Divisional Playoff Game, Moore became the face of a season-ending loss.

We at PFF judge players by looking at every play in every game (it is our mantra, after all). It was this process that unearthed a hidden play that shed some more light on Moore’s mistake, and the challenge facing the young safety ahead.

From Starter To Inactive

Coming out of UCLA, Moore was a ballhawk who impressed scouts with his range and play-making ability. The Broncos made him the first safety off the board with the 45th pick of the 2011 Draft, and immediately named him a starter. But his time atop the depth chart would be short-lived. Moore’s rookie season got off to a rough start when Marcel Reece, the Oakland Raiders’ versatile fullback, beat him for an easy touchdown in the second quarter of the Broncos’ home opener. Then with 13 minutes left in the game, Moore’s poor angle on a tackle attempt sprung Darren McFadden for a run that set up Oakland’s game-winning score.

While Moore improved his coverage after his first game (he did not allow another touchdown all season), the same could not be said of his tackling. After he missed a whopping four tackles against the San Diego Chargers in Week 5, he lost his starting job to fellow rookie Quinton Carter. Moore’s next few weeks were spent rotating between backup duty, special teams snaps, and even the inactive list.

An injury to Brian Dawkins thrust Moore back into a feature role in Week 14 versus the Chicago Bears, but the rookie’s problems persisted. With the game scoreless in the third quarter, he had Marion Barber dead to rights for a run stop in the backfield. But the running back slipped through Moore’s arms and high-stepped into the end zone. It was another of the 10 missed tackles the rookie would be guilty of that season. His 3.9 Tackling Efficiency was the second-worst mark by any safety with more than 200 snaps.

Tackling Turnaround

While Moore was handed a starting job in his first training camp, he had to fight for one in his second. Though Dawkins had retired, the Broncos had Moore, Carter, and newly-signed veteran Mike Adams competing for two spots. After slipping off so many ballcarriers in his rookie season, Moore had spent the offseason attacking his weakness head-on. He’d practiced mixed martial arts to better his tackling, and had focused on his assignments to become more comfortable with them. His improvement showed, and the sophomore safety won back his starting job in August. This time, he wouldn’t let it go.

A year after spending some Sundays as a healthy scratch, Moore played more snaps in 2012 than any other Broncos defender. Often lining up deep as Denver’s last line of defense, Moore allowed just 0.46 Yards Per Coverage Snap and surrendered a first down or touchdown on only 1.64% of his snaps. At the same time, he frequently showed the speed and instincts to provide support against backfield screens. And when he got to the point of attack, he sealed the deal.

After amassing 11 missed tackles in 43 attempts in 2011 (including the playoffs), Moore had just eight in 96 attempts in 2012. Amazingly, he’d transformed himself from one of the worst-tackling safeties in the league into one of the best. And with a +9.0 grade in the regular season that tied for the 10th-highest of any safety, he was one of the more promising young defenders in the league. This would have been the lasting image of Moore heading into the upcoming season, except for the outcome of one play.

The Play

It was late in the fourth quarter, and the Broncos were on the verge of victory. Moore backed up in the secondary; his mission was to let no receiver get behind him. The quarterback took the snap and immediately felt pressure, stepping up into the pocket to escape it. He heaved the ball high into the air, deep down the right sideline. Moore was in clear range of the intended receiver, but instead stepped a few yards in front of him. He was playing the ball, not the man. However, Moore had misjudged the pass; it was going to carry behind him. At the last second, he leapt into the air and… tipped it barely enough to to deflect the potential touchdown to Vincent Jackson. “This is risky business here,” said Fox commentator John Lynch as he watched the replay of the safety’s unorthodox approach. Moore seemed to breathe a sigh of relief as he walked back to the line of scrimmage. He’d dodged a bullet.

As you can tell, that was not the play that most fans now associate with Moore. The play we just described occurred when the Broncos hosted the Tampa Bay Buccaneers back in Week 13. With 3:42 left in the game and an 18-point lead, Moore’s pass defensed virtually sealed the victory for Denver. But it wasn’t a smart play. In his haste to make a game-ending interception, Moore nearly gave up a touchdown that would have brought new life to a desperate opponent. Six weeks later, against the Ravens, he found himself in the same position. He unwisely took the same approach, and this time faced disastrous results. Sometimes, an innocuous incompletion in November can foretell a history-altering touchdown in January. What do they say about those who don’t learn from history?

Bouncing Back

We don’t bring this play up to suggest that Moore has a critical flaw when it comes to defending deep passes in the final minutes of a game. He’s said that he’s learned from this costly lesson, and he likely has. The next time he sees a Hail Mary, he’ll probably make a bee-line behind the deepest receiver.

However, we don’t want to underestimate the enormity of the challenge facing Moore. He has the talent and drive to be one of the best safeties in the league. A season’s worth of tape backs it up. He identified his biggest weakness from his rookie season, and made it a strength. But his 2013 will be defined by how he bounces back from a mistake that he made not once, but twice. Sports history is littered with men who could not recover from one bad error. Here’s hoping that this Secret Superstar does.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...r-rahim-moore/

Last edited by Baba Booey; 05-21-2013 at 05:53 AM..
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #128
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Sorry but the site only liked PFF when they talk about how good Von Miller is. I am with you though I love how they are trying to break down the stats into plays that actually matter. 1 on 1 situations etc etc.

He is going into his 3rd yr which is usually when players in the NFL start to reach full potential.

He's working hard and I bet he is going to have a great year. I am pulling for him because he's one of the few players i watched in college as I go to 3-4 UCLA games a yr. The firm has tickets to both USC and UCLA but since I am low on the totem pole I never get the USC ones lol.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #129
Bmore Manning

I think it's funny that people are quick to defend him because he improved his tackling. He's our free safety and he doesn't generate turnovers, he cannot read a quarter back, he takes poor angles far too often, he is not physical enough to separate a player from the ball, and he deffinatley cannot ball hawk.

So what are you left with? An average rotational safety. Your FS is suppose to be a game changer, Moore is by no means a game changer. What plays has he made that has changed a game? Oh there was that time... Oh never mind. But what about that time he... Oh that was an illegal hit...

Nothing he has done has exemplified what is needed from a game changing free safety. So what he has improved tackling, maybe he should continue to work on that aspect of his game and be moved to strong safety, because he is no game changer.

And again I will say that I hope I am proven wrong, and would love for nothing more than Moore to mentally grasp the game and become a game changer!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #130
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

There are only about five true "game changers" at free safety in the league and there's nothing that says Moore can't become one of them down the road.

After his atrocious rookie year it's pretty impressive that he made the strides that he did. We should be happy.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #131
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Must be nice, having never made a mistake.
I've made mistakes, but never a mistake that cost my company millions, unlike him.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #132
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

sometimes the ol' ignore list just writes itself
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #133
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I've made mistakes, but never a mistake that cost my company millions, unlike him.
Yet you don't put blame on PM for the interception that ACTUALLY cost us the game. Cool.

Your grasp on reality is tenuous at best.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #134
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/prim...y-good-in-2012

Dumbasses.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #135
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Yet you don't put blame on PM for the interception that ACTUALLY cost us the game. Cool.

Your grasp on reality is tenuous at best.
True because Manning totally throws that INT if Moore makes that play.

To blame anyone after that point is dumb. Everyone's play before that play is game to be judged.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 05-21-2013 at 07:25 AM..
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #136
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Yeah.

What's the big deal?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #137
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
You can degrade me all you want. I have to deal with liberals(not saying you are one) everyday so I'm used to people bashing an opinion that doesn't match up to their own.

A 2 score lead couldve won it. A one score lead was going to win it. All of this bickering doesn't change the fact that the lead was lost on one play. I'm sorry some in here are confusing themselves into thinking "the lead was lost" equals "the game was lost". The play had out coaches balls shrink. It produced an OT that shouldn't have happened. Calling me out on speculating that is your choice. I haven't seen too many TD bombs on 4th down from that far end up in the endzone though.
Love the liberal comment. So true
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #138
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Go read my post, after I gave my evaluation, I said, here's to hoping he proves me wrong! I'm not getting involved with the blame game, but your just bitter now because you don't know how to evaluate talent.

He doesn't have the mental make up of a free safety, unless he all of a sudden just gets it. You don't have to believe or like my opinion.

"He has the talent and drive to be one of the best safeties in the league. A season’s worth of tape backs it up."

This article completely contradicts everything you have been saying about Rahim Moore.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #139
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

As to Moore.....what's done is done. Had he just tackled Jones or knocked the ball down the result may have been different. It was a key play is about all that can be said. We still had chances to win, but it was not to be.

As to whether we would have won the next two games......

Who was going to be in at RB? Moreno was hurt ( again ) and Hillman and Ball were all we had left. Moreno going down was as big a reason we lost the Baltimore game as any of the other plays mentioned. Do we blame Moreno getting hurt for the loss?

The point is, that without any real semblance of a run game, even in a home game against the Brady bunch, the Broncos were no cinch to move on. And without a run game the SF D-line would have been coming on Every play if we got to the SB. Clady was already hurt, and Kuper was not ready to play against Balt. Fox's conservative nature ( run run pass) would possibly have doomed us in either of those games.

There was no guarantee that the Super bowl was our destination.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #140
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Booey View Post
There are only about five true "game changers" at free safety in the league and there's nothing that says Moore can't become one of them down the road.

After his atrocious rookie year it's pretty impressive that he made the strides that he did. We should be happy.
Happy that what he improved his tackling? Yet he continues to take poor angles, shows no ball skills, no ability to read the quarterback or anticipate plays. Pretty much he got away with being a good athlete in college and has actually shown zero signs of improving his game to an NFL caliber level.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #141
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post

"He has the talent and drive to be one of the best safeties in the league. A season’s worth of tape backs it up."

This article completely contradicts everything you have been saying about Rahim Moore.
I'll trust my evaluations of him in college and so far in the NFL over profootballfocus and their numbers. You can look at raw numbers and say he didn't miss many tackles and this and that, but what I look for in a free safety, he hasn't shown.

You would believe raw numbers, you use strictly numbers when evaluating college prospects.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #142
Drunken.Broncoholic

That article says he was a ball hawk? One year. Why wasn't he his junior year?Or since? UCLA lost their pass rush his junior year. Moore struggles when there is no pass rush. Why is that?

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 05-21-2013 at 08:07 AM..
Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #143
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
True because Manning totally throws that INT if Moore makes that play.

To blame anyone after that point is dumb. Everyone's play before that play is game to be judged.
I have always said, it is pretty rare for a game to actually be fairly blamed on one play. It's always a series of things leading up to it.

Honestly it makes me crazier to hear "we wouldn't have been in it were it not for the return TDs" than blaming the loss on Moore. The only thing that will cure any of this is winning, unfortunately.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #144
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Love the liberal comment. So true
Next time do your best to keep a football thread free of politics.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #145
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I have always said, it is pretty rare for a game to actually be fairly blamed on one play. It's always a series of things leading up to it.
Marion barber says hi. It does happen in team sports. Although not everyday.

I think buffalo fans know how it feels to have one play lose a game.

Ray finkle anyone?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #146
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #147
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I'll trust my evaluations of him in college and so far in the NFL over profootballfocus and their numbers. You can look at raw numbers and say he didn't miss many tackles and this and that, but what I look for in a free safety, he hasn't shown.

You would believe raw numbers, you use strictly numbers when evaluating college prospects.
I'm wrong, PFF is wrong, the entire Broncos FO is wrong, Coach Fox is wrong, Del Rio is wrong, Champ is wrong, and countless other analysts and posters are wrong...

...but you are alone in being right? Kinda like how the Broncos run a 3-4 huh? Wrong again!

And I love your reason too "he's not smart enough". Get a clue homey.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #148
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Marion barber says hi. It does happen in team sports. Although not everyday.

I think buffalo fans know how it feels to have one play lose a game.

Ray finkle anyone?
Like I said, it's rare but even in the Marion Barber case...you can't tell me that there aren't things that led to that point.

If a team lets another team hang around long enough, and the game comes down to one play to determine things...they deserve what they get for not taking care of business in the first place.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #149
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Honestly it makes me crazier to hear "we wouldn't have been in it were it not for the return TDs" than blaming the loss on Moore. The only thing that will cure any of this is winning, unfortunately.
It's kind of true? Of course it's impossible to project how those possessions play out if Holliday doesn't return the kicks. And it's not like kick return TDs are any less legitimate or there would have been an asterisk by the win.

But it's very very rare that you get 14 pts from kick returns. It shows the nature of the game that if Denver had won all the Raven fans would be bemoaning how they blew a great opportunity/performance with a ST meltdown.

Anyyyyway. I like how Moore (and the rest of the team) have handled the loss, at least in the media. Now that they know they're good, let's see them play with a little anger as well.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #150
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Like I said, it's rare but even in the Marion Barber case...you can't tell me that there aren't things that led to that point.

If a team lets another team hang around long enough, and the game comes down to one play to determine things...they deserve what they get for not taking care of business in the first place.
See I look at it as a team puts themselves in a position to win. Barber screwed that up for them. Many point out all the bad things denver did in that game. Not looking at what the team did in the 4th to put themselves in a position to still win the game. That 4th quarter 10 play 88 yard TD drive to take the lead gets overlooked. Mike Adams swatting a 4th down flacco pass gets overlooked. Bottom line the team did what it had to do when it came time to take the lead and win it. Moore wiped that off.