The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Bacchus

Default Backfield Maybe Key for Broncos SB Hopes

Backfield Depth Might Be True Key to Broncos Super Bowl Hopes

The situation in the Broncos backfield is a bit murkier at this point with OTAs just underway, but that murkiness has nothing to do with talent or depth. Coming off a season in which the team didn't have a 1,000-yard rusher, Denver has eight backs on the roster looking to establish themselves as essential cogs in an already dynamic offense. Familiar faces like Willis McGahee and Knowshon Moreno, along with younger options like Ronnie Hillman and Montee Ball, have the backfield in a state of flux.

Will the team transition away from the veteran and oft injured McGahee? Will Moreno continue what was a strong end to the 2012 season after a frustrating and injury prone start to his career? Or might second-year speedster Hillman or rookie Ball receive the lion's share of touches?

Also in the mix on the current roster are Jacob Hester, Lance Ball, C.J. Anderson, and Jeremiah Johnson.

If you base the decision purely on overall career production, McGahee would be the pick. But a litany of knee injuries and a $2.5 million salary might leave the veteran grinder on the outside looking in when Denver kicks off its regular season against the defending Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens on Thursday, September 5. At 31, McGahee is also the oldest running back on the roster.

On the flip side the youngest back is 21-year old Hillman, who is entering his second season in Denver. The buzz surrounding Hillman has always focused on his blistering speed and struggles to pass protect, but he has bulked up from 180 to 195 pounds this offseason which could be a clear sign he's committed to improving his all-around game instead of relying purely on quickness.

Drafted in the second round out of Wisconsin where he averaged 134 yards on 24 carries during his final two seasons in Madison, Montee Ball has already earned some first team reps at OTAs. Ball provides a tough, downhill running style that compliments Hillman's slash and burn game. The two young backs might also provide the Broncos with the balance they need to spread the offense for Manning's prolific gun-slinging ways.

The biggest x-factor could be Moreno, who came on strong in McGahee's absence late last season. Expectations have been high for the former Georgia Bulldog since being selected twelfth overall in the 2009 NFL draft, but injuries have temporarily derailed Moreno's burst through the hole to reaching his full potential up to this point. Entering his fifth season in the league, Moreno might be the most complete back on the team with enormous upside should he finally reach his full potential as he hinted late last season.

The rest of a decent yahoo article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/backfie...141500525.html

Last edited by Bacchus; 06-05-2013 at 02:36 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

In before someone claims this fluff piece has been written every year....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Also in the mix on the current roster are Jacob Hester, Lance Ball, C.J. Anderson, and Jeremiah Johnson.

in the mix as in street free agents.

Gibbs was brought in for a reason. Definitely going to be fun to watch!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
CEH
Ring of Famer

Knowshown had some sort of stem cell injection into his knee so that tell me he may have a degenertive issue with his knee.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

What I love hearing form reports coming from camp is that Peyton is thoroughly impressed with Montee Ball's intelligence.

Smarts is an underrated quality in Football... too many great athletes that can't overcome dumb. I don't think that's going to be a problem with our current crop of players.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
What I love hearing form reports coming from camp is that Peyton is thoroughly impressed with Montee Ball's intelligence.

Smarts is an underrated quality in Football... too many great athletes that can't overcome dumb. I don't think that's going to be a problem with our current crop of players.
Ain't that the truth. It seems that Elway is only drafting quality character guys. I'd be interested in hearing him talk about this and the importance of it, if at all.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Backfield Depth Might Be True Key to Broncos Super Bowl Hopes
The biggest x-factor could be Moreno, who came on strong in McGahee's absence late last season. Expectations have been high for the former Georgia Bulldog since being selected twelfth overall in the 2009 NFL draft, but injuries have temporarily derailed Moreno's burst through the hole to reaching his full potential up to this point. Entering his fifth season in the league, Moreno might be the most complete back on the team with enormous upside should he finally reach his full potential as he hinted late last season.

The rest of a decent yahoo article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/backfie...141500525.html
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Knowshown had some sort of stem cell injection into his knee so that tell me he may have a degenertive issue with his knee.

Actually, the way I heard it was that the knee was going to keep being soft and take a long long time to heal. So he went with the stem cell thing to clean it all up- like a once and for all kinda thing.

Who knows, Montee is going to be the starter anyway.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

love the article except for one thing. It claims that Moreno has some kind of huge upside that hasn't yet been tapped into. I'm pretty sure everyone knows what Moreno brings to the table and if he can stay healthy he can help the team. But he's not going to morph into some kind of all pro RB. He is what he is, the question is can he stay healthy.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
SlyEli

Keep Ball, Hillman, McGahee, and Hester. Please and thank you.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyEli View Post
Keep Ball, Hillman, McGahee, and Hester. Please and thank you.
We have to keep Moreno as a value option. I'd say Knowshon has a better shot than McGahee.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This is unbelievably true. I don't want to see a pass-fest in freezing weather come playoff time again.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post
This is unbelievably true. I don't want to see a pass-fest in freezing weather come playoff time again.

Then tell our RBs to stop getting injured
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Isn't it nice to have a loaded passing attack and a loaded running game.........

If this defense can take a couple of steps forward we got something here.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i really won't be surprised to see Hester beat out McGahee, Moreno, and Ball to be the 3rd back on the roster. his versatility as a FB/RB helps his cause, as well as his pass blocking ability. If Moreno's knee is as troublesome as being made note of of late he might not wind up on the roster.

I'd wager the depth chart for the backfield week 1 is Ball, Hillman, Hester, Anderson/Johnson. the number 4 guy will depend on which has the better preseason and is better in pass protection.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i really won't be surprised to see Hester beat out McGahee, Moreno, and Ball to be the 3rd back on the roster. his versatility as a FB/RB helps his cause, as well as his pass blocking ability. If Moreno's knee is as troublesome as being made note of of late he might not wind up on the roster.

I'd wager the depth chart for the backfield week 1 is Ball, Hillman, Hester, Anderson/Johnson. the number 4 guy will depend on which has the better preseason and is better in pass protection.
I don't see that. If M. Ball gets hurt or sucks you need either McGahee or Moreno to take over. L. Ball and Hester are not feature backs.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Wonder what happens if Lance Ball makes the club again.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

The backfield is key for every team! The QB is back there. He's part of the backfield IMO.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I don't see that. If M. Ball gets hurt or sucks you need either McGahee or Moreno to take over. L. Ball and Hester are not feature backs.
No one is going to be a true feature back in this offense. Ball will average 15-18 carries a game. Hillman 10-12. Hester and Ball or whoever is the number 4 back can split 15 carries a game.

McGahee and his knee and fumbling can't be counted on and neither can injury prone Moreno.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

I disagree that Moreno has uber-untapped potential. He's not going to come out and be all-pro, he is what he is and if he's not injured that's solid.

I'd love for us to carry Ball, McGahee, Hillman, Moreno and Hester. Why? Because I believe this is our SB run year, not next year this year. I like Ball as our starter but in the NFL injuries happen and if Ball goes down mid season and we've cut McGahee or Moreno or both we are not as good a team. If we kept those 5, I'd be confident in saying that we could lose one and our team wouldn't miss a beat.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #21
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
In before someone claims this fluff piece has been written every year....
I don't think you know what a fluff piece is
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #22
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
I don't think you know what a fluff piece is
Perhaps not, but I do know the difference between 6-7 and "hundreds".....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #23
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

Me thinks Ball Hillman Moreno Hester. Need to worry about injury issues for both Moreno and McGehee, but McG is older and more expensive.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #24
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post

I absolutely loved Hester's 1.4 yards per carry in the Ravens game - great stuff!
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #25
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I absolutely loved Hester's 1.4 yards per carry in the Ravens game - great stuff!
every player has bad games, and by my count 52 other guys in that game didn't exactly light it up

I didn't say Hester is a unpolished diamond or anything. I said his versatility and the fact that he plays special teams makes him a more likely candidate to stick around than old man McGahee with his bum knees and fumbling issues and injury prone never living up to draft spot Moreno.