The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #126
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Will be interesting to see how he responds from this week though.
I've said to a number of people, and on this forum, that I hate what Sean Foley has done to Tiger's swing. It's way too robotic and position driven; that type of swing can work when you hit the positions, but when you lose the feel for them it can be disastrous; like it was this weekend.

Tiger used to have the best swing in golf, a distinction that now belongs to Adam Scott, that used to allow him to hit any shot in the book any time he wanted to and let him take full advantage of his superior athleticism. Now he's strapped into a pretty singular ball-flight (fade) that Foley has built based on an exaggerated over-the-top move that keeps Tiger's arms from getting stuck behind him.

The problem is that Tiger is now much less favorably equipped to handle adverse conditions and hit recovery shots that require feel and pure shot-making ability. The Ball spins a lot more, which makes it far more difficult to control in the wind and on the greens. He's a far more one-dimensional shot maker than he was at when he was at his best.

He's still the best in the game because of all of his other attributes (putting, mental toughness, short game, game management), but his swing is not close to being as pure as it was years ago.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #127
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Talk to me when the US Open is over. He can hit 5 wood/2 iron wedge in to most of those holes. He will be fine. One bad w.eek of putting and iron play won't matter just makes him more focused.

Let's hear your pick for the US Open.
My votes...I always pick 3...and Tiger is a good vote, are:

Angel Cabrera
Jason Day
Matt Kuchar
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #128
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Didn't expect you would have any substance in your response.

Tiger would be my pick for the US Open.
No nerd to explain to an expert although I bet you were hoping to name drop.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #129
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post

Angel Cabrera
Jason Day
Matt Kuchar
Day is a great pick Garcia. That dude has been knockin at the door for a long time.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #130
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
Day is a great pick Garcia. That dude has been knockin at the door for a long time.
He can do it. He is my favorite and the guy I am always rooting for in the Majors.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #131
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post

Angel Cabrera
Jason Day
Matt Kuchar
I really like Kuchar and he is a great choice. He really has no weakness in his game. That being said I already think Tiger will win this but I'll give you 2 more and I'm going to take a couple flyers.

2. GMAC (Not much of a flyer)

3. Tim Clark
Old 06-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #132
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
No nerd to explain to an expert although I bet you were hoping to name drop.
Again, not shocked at a complete lack of substance. For someone with such self professed knowledge of Tiger's game i would think you could offer deeper insight than "When he doesn't use Driver, he wins".

And you've offered no insight as to why, having hit very few drivers this week, he didn't win, was lapped by the field and had one of the worst performances of the year at a course where he's been dominant.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #133
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Again, not shocked at a complete lack of substance. For someone with such self professed knowledge of Tiger's game i would think you could offer deeper insight than "When he doesn't use Driver, he wins".

And you've offered no insight as to why, having hit very few drivers this week, he didn't win, was lapped by the field and had one of the worst performances of the year at a course where he's been dominant.
What is there to say he played bad and it can happen to any golfer any given week. I already said he hit his irons like crap and putter terrible. He doesn't hit driver because it is his weakspot in his game. It's not rocket science.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #134
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

This was pure and simple a coming down from emotional high loss. We see it in sports all the time. A team comes off a highly emotional win and the energy and focus tank is empty for the next game. That is why I thought the Players win for him was huge. I know it was huge. He had to emotionally be so happy with that win and for his comeback process. He simply had to come back down for a spell, it happens.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #135
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
This was pure and simple a coming down from emotional high loss.
If that's true, then we can definitely say that Tiger is not back to what he once was.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #136
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
What is there to say he played bad and it can happen to any golfer any given week. I already said he hit his irons like crap and putter terrible. He doesn't hit driver because it is his weakspot in his game. It's not rocket science.
You realize that you've just admitted that Tiger isn't back, right?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #137
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
You realize that you've just admitted that Tiger isn't back, right?
I don't think he is back to 2000 tiger but he is still the best in the game. One bad tournament doesn't change what he has done this year.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #138
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I don't think he is back to 2000 tiger but he is still the best in the game. One bad tournament doesn't change what he has done this year.
I'm kind of changing my mind on the guy. I just think he is one of the better golfers but isn't clearly the best anymore. I know he has only played one tourney this year but he isn't near the player he was 10 years ago. I think Jacks record will be safe because he is approaching the dreaded 40 for golfers trying to win majors.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:18 AM   #139
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
I'm kind of changing my mind on the guy. I just think he is one of the better golfers but isn't clearly the best anymore. I know he has only played one tourney this year but he isn't near the player he was 10 years ago. I think Jacks record will be safe because he is approaching the dreaded 40 for golfers trying to win majors.
I think he might bag a few more majors before all is said and done but it really doesn't look like he'll ever get that #1 ranking ever again. Just so many damn good young golfer right now. Rory is clicking right now. If he pulls away and gets his 3rd major for how young he is, you have to say he's the best right now. If he doesn't, I think it's a 3 way tie between him, Bubba and Scott. Between those 3 players right there, I think they will win more majors over the next 5-7 years then anybody else.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:09 AM   #140
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
Jack won his last four majors at age 38, 40, 40, and 46. Tiger is tied with Jack in majors by age, but he has to win one this year to keep up.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:32 AM   #141
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
Jack won his last four majors at age 38, 40, 40, and 46. Tiger is tied with Jack in majors by age, but he has to win one this year to keep up.
What happened to him? He is putting ducks instead of birdies..
Chrissy Rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #142
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I think he might bag a few more majors before all is said and done but it really doesn't look like he'll ever get that #1 ranking ever again. Just so many damn good young golfer right now. Rory is clicking right now. If he pulls away and gets his 3rd major for how young he is, you have to say he's the best right now. If he doesn't, I think it's a 3 way tie between him, Bubba and Scott. Between those 3 players right there, I think they will win more majors over the next 5-7 years then anybody else.
Well we will see how Scott does when he can't anchor his putter. Bubba is really only a threat at Masters and certain PGA's. His game is terrible for both of the opens. You have to throw Kaymer into the mix. Rory makes for a boring major when he is on just like Tiger did.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #143
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Can Fowler really make a run on Sunday? I am not convinced, but i would love to see it!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #144
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Can Fowler really make a run on Sunday? I am not convinced, but i would love to see it!
Clearly no after that finish.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #145
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I've said to a number of people, and on this forum, that I hate what Sean Foley has done to Tiger's swing. It's way too robotic and position driven; that type of swing can work when you hit the positions, but when you lose the feel for them it can be disastrous; like it was this weekend.

Tiger used to have the best swing in golf, a distinction that now belongs to Adam Scott, that used to allow him to hit any shot in the book any time he wanted to and let him take full advantage of his superior athleticism. Now he's strapped into a pretty singular ball-flight (fade) that Foley has built based on an exaggerated over-the-top move that keeps Tiger's arms from getting stuck behind him.

The problem is that Tiger is now much less favorably equipped to handle adverse conditions and hit recovery shots that require feel and pure shot-making ability. The Ball spins a lot more, which makes it far more difficult to control in the wind and on the greens. He's a far more one-dimensional shot maker than he was at when he was at his best.

He's still the best in the game because of all of his other attributes (putting, mental toughness, short game, game management), but his swing is not close to being as pure as it was years ago.
Want to see Tiger's old swing watch Adam Scott
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #146
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
Jack never had a drought like Tiger's, who has now gone 6 years without a major. And 32-38 are the absolute prime years for a golfer. The only time Jack went that long was between #17 and the miracle at the Masters in '86.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #147
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Want to see Tiger's old swing watch Adam Scott
That's what I said.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #148
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Bingo. Tiger isn't playing against the fat slob good-old-boys club anymore. He uupped the game. Even Mickelson decided to start lifting weights to compete.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #149
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Bingo. Tiger isn't playing against the fat slob good-old-boys club anymore. He uupped the game. Even Mickelson decided to start lifting weights to compete.
Tiger isn't playing against the type of competition anymore that Jack played against during his entire career.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:36 AM   #150
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

While there are a lot of young guys who are in shape and have swings built by video, and therefore look perfect, that doesn't necessarily mean the competition is tougher these days than it was in Jack's day.