The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #101
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post

I love the fact that you think you know Tiger's game so well because you've seen him on TV a bunch. I wonder if you've ever seen him in person or seen Butch and his brothers break down his swing, or have conversations with someone who plays against him on a weekly basis. Can you speak to that a little for me?

In fairness you're pretty much doing the same thing just a different opinion than DenverDui
Old 05-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #102
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Are you really going pretend not to see the point in this?
I get your point and even agree that it will be a challenge for him based on the course. I just wouldn't count out a golfer who's on point.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 05-23-2013 at 02:16 PM..
Old 05-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #103
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Oops - yeah, he's not playing this week. I meant that's what he'll do for Merion.

And there are quite a few venues that most of the bigger names skip. Not so sure it's because they don't feel the course suits them, but rather, most guys don't feel they can play every single week and be their best. It's a grind. So they pick and chose where they want to play based on where they live and locations of the venues. Maybe sometimes it's because they play well at a certain place. Harbour Town is one of those places I don't usually see a deep field of the best players. Same with TPC San Antonio as well as several others.

Tiger also used to play a few tournaments over seas because of the insane fee he could collect just to "show up".

I think one thing Deadhead is not relating to is the fact that sure, maybe 50% of Tiger's wins have come on 6 courses. But that still leaves some 30+ wins on a number of different courses. If you take away his wins on the courses you say, and what's left, that's still way more then most guys win anywhere. When he's dialed in, there's not a course he can't conquer. Having said that, it doesn't mean I think he will necessarily destroy Merion. I think his consistency has improved greatly over the last year and a half and I think he'll be in the mix at worst. I would bet $5K dollars he doesn't finish lower then the top 15. I'd probably bet $1K he finished top 5.
What you're failing to understand is that of those 40 other victories, the vast majority are also on modern/long open courses. You're also way underestimating how tour pros set their schedule based on the courses they like. Sure there's some logistical stuff taken into account, but they target the majors, courses they like, and logistics, in that order.

Tiger would still be playing Harbor Town if he won it when he played instead of finishing 18th when he was at the peak of his game in 1999.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #104
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I get your point and even agree that it will be a challenge for him based on the course. I just wouldn't count out a golfer who's on point.
Jesus, where did I even come close to saying I was counting him out? Of course he's the favorite, I just laugh when people like Drunken start throwing around words like "Lock" for a guy that hasn't won a major in a long time, and pretending like they know anything about it, when clearly, they don't.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #105
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Jesus, where did I even come close to saying I was counting him out? Of course he's the favorite, I just laugh when people like Drunken start throwing around words like "Lock" for a guy that hasn't won a major in a long time, and pretending like they know anything about it, when clearly, they don't.
Where did I say lock?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #106
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #107
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
And how many times has he won a tournament the first time he's played a venue?

No, to show how many of the players who's games are suited to tight, position golf courses love to play there. You're a little slow, aren't you.

I love the fact that you think you know Tiger's game so well because you've seen him on TV a bunch. I wonder if you've ever seen him in person or seen Butch and his brothers break down his swing, or have conversations with someone who plays against him on a weekly basis. Can you speak to that a little for me?
You dip**** that is worst field of the year. None of the great players play there and it has nothing to do with the course. It will be all the pros first US Open there. Nobody can play the small ball golf like Tiger just wait and see then you can call me out. You have already shown your ignorance and danced around the questions I asked.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #108
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
You dip**** that is worst field of the year. None of the great players play there and it has nothing to do with the course. It will be all the pros first US Open there. Nobody can play the small ball golf like Tiger just wait and see then you can call me out. You have already shown your ignorance and danced around the questions I asked.
I notice you didn't answer any of my questions.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #109
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
In fairness you're pretty much doing the same thing just a different opinion than DenverDui
This is what happens when you work off assumptions. I have met Tiger, and I have watched Butch and his brothers break down Tiger's swing. I have had discussions with other Tour players, and communicate frequently with a top golfer in the world. I have far more actual information to go on than DUI.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #110
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
This is what happens when you work off assumptions. I have met Tiger, and I have watched Butch and his brothers break down Tiger's swing. I have had discussions with other Tour players, and communicate frequently with a top golfer in the world. I have far more actual information to go on than DUI.
Unless DUI has said he's never met him aren't you going by assumption too? I've met and putted with him. I work out at the beach club in pebble and in walks tiger by himself. Me and him were the only people in there. We have a mutual friend and I mentioned him. He was super nice after that. When we were done working out we walked over to Peter hay and did some putting. He was cool.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #111
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Unless DUI has said he's never met him aren't you going by assumption too? I've met and putted with him. I work out at the beach club in pebble and in walks tiger by himself. Me and him were the only people in there. We have a mutual friend and I mentioned him. He was super nice after that. When we were done working out we walked over to Peter hay and did some putting. He was cool.
Well I went fishing with Tiger in Cabo. He's building his first golf course here you know. Look up Diamanté and Tiger.

We talked for quite a while over turkey sandwiches. Oh BTW Tiger hates chicken.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #112
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
I notice you didn't answer any of my questions.
I've got it no need to discuss.

1. Tiger doesn't play on courses that fit him and he is scared of Harbour Town so he doesn't play it.

2. Tiger can't play small ball and can only win on long modern courses(which is funny since all courses are these days that they play on) in which he can use the weakest club in his bag.

End of discussion.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #113
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Well the whole point is, can Tiger win another Major, is he back? I think most of agree yes. He's got the game, he's got the mental focus (having won 4 times already including the PGA Championship). I know it can be said that any tour player can win a major but what are their odds. For some it's not great. For Tiger, where he's at right now, I'd say the odds are just as high if not higher then any person on tour right now.

And I believe he can win on a short course. This isn't 15 years ago where he was longer then 99% of the guys are tour by quite some ways. Now, there are so many guys that hit just as long as him and a very very large handful that hit longer then him. Well, he's the one who has won 4 times this year and most of those guys haven't won yet, a few have 1 win.

But even though Merion is a short course, I still think the long hitter have a major advantage on that course. Go check out this site (http://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/.../directory.htm)

Type in Merion and then choose the East course and go over the layout. It has a measure stick so you can measure from teebox to anywhere. You'll see that on quite a few of these par 4's, if you drive around 300+, you will be past the bunker trouble. Guys that drive around 280 will have to contend with many more bunkers. That's why I don't think Tiger will keep that big stick in the bag much. Some of the par 4's yes, like on #8 and #10. Look for Tiger and the other big hitters to hit more drivers then you would think on this shorter course.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #114
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
I've got it no need to discuss.

1. Tiger doesn't play on courses that fit him and he is scared of Harbour Town so he doesn't play it.

2. Tiger can't play small ball and can only win on long modern courses(which is funny since all courses are these days that they play on) in which he can use the weakest club in his bag.

End of discussion.
If that's what you took away, then yes, end of discussion.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #115
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Well the whole point is, can Tiger win another Major, is he back? I think most of agree yes. He's got the game, he's got the mental focus (having won 4 times already including the PGA Championship). I know it can be said that any tour player can win a major but what are their odds. For some it's not great. For Tiger, where he's at right now, I'd say the odds are just as high if not higher then any person on tour right now.

And I believe he can win on a short course. This isn't 15 years ago where he was longer then 99% of the guys are tour by quite some ways. Now, there are so many guys that hit just as long as him and a very very large handful that hit longer then him. Well, he's the one who has won 4 times this year and most of those guys haven't won yet, a few have 1 win.

But even though Merion is a short course, I still think the long hitter have a major advantage on that course. Go check out this site (http://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/.../directory.htm)

Type in Merion and then choose the East course and go over the layout. It has a measure stick so you can measure from teebox to anywhere. You'll see that on quite a few of these par 4's, if you drive around 300+, you will be past the bunker trouble. Guys that drive around 280 will have to contend with many more bunkers. That's why I don't think Tiger will keep that big stick in the bag much. Some of the par 4's yes, like on #8 and #10. Look for Tiger and the other big hitters to hit more drivers then you would think on this shorter course.
This is a pretty good take. There is a lot of risk/reward opportunity at a shorter course like Merion. Players will have to decide whether they want to risk playing approach shots with wedges from the rough or playing safe off the tee and having longer approach shots into the heavily bunkered greens at Merion.

This isn't at all just a dink and dunk proposition. There will be guys who will take that approach either by choice or necessity, but there will also be guys who just go out and try to attack. If one of the bombers has a good week with the driver, they will have a significant advantage over guys taking a conservative approach.

The greens at Merion are also unique in modern era golf. They are grainy, and difficult to read, and throughout the course they have some crazy variations; some are tiny and some are pretty monstrous. The guys who can get comfortable with the putter early will be at the top of the leaderboard.

Overall Merion is a quirky place that can level the playing field for a lot of different styles of play. The rough will be like nothing many tour players have ever seen; not just because it will be deep, but because of its inconsistency. Most rough these days is still highly manicured and therefore fairly consistent. The superintendent at Merion takes a pastoral approach to managing the rough, which will lead to some crazy lies in weeds and such that players simply don't see on tour; even at other US Opens where the rough is dastardly.

It's going to be a very interesting week of golf.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #116
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Woods posted his highest nine-hole score as a professional when he had an 8-over 44 on the back nine at Muirfield Village.
http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9...ial-tournament

TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #117
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Lol @Tiger... If back is now code for sucks , yes I guess he's back...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #118
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Tiger has zero faith in his Driver, and because of it he struggled at a course where he has historically dominated the field. He tried to hit a driver on 11 yesterday, one of the few times all day, and missed the fairway by about 70 yds with a monster double-cross.

I'd love to hear DUI's reaction based on his stance that Tiger dominates the field when he doesn't hit driver. I think he hit driver about 6 times this week, and dominant isn't exactly the word I would use to describe the results.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #119
Bronco Yoda

Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #120
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
Lol @Tiger... If back is now code for sucks , yes I guess he's back...
Maybe "back" is short for back of the pack.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #121
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Maybe "back" is short for back of the pack.
Name another player who's won more this season. One tourney doesn't change an entire seasons results. Will be interesting to see how he responds from this week though.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #122
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Name another player who's won more this season. One tourney doesn't change an entire seasons results. Will be interesting to see how he responds from this week though.
I like Tiger I hope he gets his game back.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #123
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Tiger is still the favorite to win the US Open. He's also the 1-20 favorite to win the overall PGA Tour money list. (You would have to place a $100 bet just to win $5)
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #124
DENVERDUI55

Quote:

I'd love to hear DUI's reaction based on his stance that Tiger dominates the field when he doesn't hit driver. I think he hit driver about 6 times this week, and dominant isn't exactly the word I would use to describe the results.
Talk to me when the US Open is over. He can hit 5 wood/2 iron wedge in to most of those holes. He will be fine. One bad w.eek of putting and iron play won't matter just makes him more focused.

Let's hear your pick for the US Open.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #125
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Talk to me when the US Open is over. He can hit 5 wood/2 iron wedge in to most of those holes. He will be fine. One bad w.eek of putting and iron play won't matter just makes him more focused.

Let's hear your pick for the US Open.
Didn't expect you would have any substance in your response.

Tiger would be my pick for the US Open.