The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #76
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
um....what are you talking about? A LOT of the guys on tour have played Merion.

I think you have this about 100% bass-ackwards. Tiger has the greatest advantage on long/open courses where he can spray his driver and still be able to get a wedge on the green. He avoids a lot of tournaments on courses where position is key; eg Harbor Town.

Half of all Tiger's wins have been on 6 courses, all of them long even by tour standards.

95% of tour players hit over 90% of fairways with irons; 1-2% hit the ball as far as Tiger with a Driver.
Of course guys have played the course but absolutely none have played it in US Open conditions. ZERO unless other than maybe Tom Watson or some old fogey. The second half of your statement makes me wonder if you have watched Tiger play much. I suspect this Tournament will be like the 2006 British open where he hit 4 drivers all week. As far as the yardage this course will play shorter than it did at the last open in the early 80's even though it's 500 yards longer.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #77
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Of course guys have played the course but absolutely none have played it in US Open conditions. ZERO unless other than maybe Tom Watson or some old fogey. The second half of your statement makes me wonder if you have watched Tiger play much. I suspect this Tournament will be like the 2006 British open where he hit 4 drivers all week. As far as the yardage this course will play shorter than it did at the last open in the early 80's even though it's 500 yards longer.
Not having played it in US Open conditions is far different than never having seen the course, but backpedal away, by all means.

I would have a hard time comparing a true European coastal links course where the wind is the number one defense (Hoylake) to an American version of a Links Course plopped down in the trees of Pennsylvania.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #78
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Not having played it in US Open conditions is far different than never having seen the course, but backpedal away, by all means.

I would have a hard time comparing a true European coastal links course where the wind is the number one defense (Hoylake) to an American version of a Links Course plopped down in the trees of Pennsylvania.
Why did Tiger hit so few drivers at the players if that is his strength? Like I said before nothing is as overrated as length off the tee. You really think that Tiger avoids Harbour Town because of it's course setup? I'm not even going to answer that but there is a big reason a ton of top tour players don't play there and you should know that being such an expert.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #79
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Why did Tiger hit so few drivers at the players if that is his strength? Like I said before nothing is as overrated as length off the tee. You really think that Tiger avoids Harbour Town because of it's course setup? I'm not even going to answer that but there is a big reason a ton of top tour players don't play there and you should know that being such an expert.
It's pretty evident you have very little idea what you're talking about.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #80
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
It's pretty evident you have very little idea what you're talking about.
Well you didn't answer the questions so I'll ask again. Why did Tiger hit so few drivers at the Players and do you really think he avoids Harbour town because he can't play small ball?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #81
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Well you didn't answer the questions so I'll ask again. Why did Tiger hit so few drivers at the Players and do you really think he avoids Harbour town because he can't play small ball?
Because it's a position golf course. What sort of magic bullet do you think you conjured up with that question? Are you trying to compare Sawgrass to Merion?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #82
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Because it's a position golf course. What sort of magic bullet do you think you conjured up with that question? Are you trying to compare Sawgrass to Merion?
100 percent wrong that field is one of the weakest every year because it's always the week after the Masters. Your such an expert you know this though.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #83
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
100 percent wrong that field is one of the weakest every year because it's always the week after the Masters. Your such an expert you know this though.
I didn't just comment about anything but Sawgrass.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #84
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
I didn't just comment about anything but Sawgrass.
You said Tiger doesn't play Harbour Town because it is a position course. Wrong. Tiger played position on a big course like sawgrass and cruised to a win. I don't even like the guy but I know his game and Merion is going to be a cruise in the park for him. Anytime he doesn't have to use his driver he is right at the top of the leaderboard and that is the bottomline.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #85
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Where the stripper pics?
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #86
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Where the stripper pics?
There was a hole in one.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #87
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

****, I have played Harbour Town and I can attest to how tight that place is. Man o man are those fairways narrow.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #88
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Tiger will hit his fair share of driver this week. He's not going to risk 3W or 5W on alot of the par 4's where the bunker trouble ends around 300 yards. He'll take out the driver and clear that stuff. I think he'll hit driver on 4,5,6,12 and 18.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #89
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Tiger will hit his fair share of driver this week. He's not going to risk 3W or 5W on alot of the par 4's where the bunker trouble ends around 300 yards. He'll take out the driver and clear that stuff. I think he'll hit driver on 4,5,6,12 and 18.
Where is Tiger playing this week Isleworth?
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #90
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
http://www.augusta.com/masters/story...yers-favorites Derp
Old 05-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #91
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
What is your point here? You say Tiger doesn't play the tournament because he is afraid of the course which is complete BS. He doesn't play any week after a major and why should he. Harbour Town has one of the worst fields of the year. The only players that play it are guys that need the money to keep their rankings or need to qualify for a major.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #92
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
What is your point here? You say Tiger doesn't play the tournament because he is afraid of the course which is complete BS. He doesn't play any week after a major and why should he. Harbour Town has one of the worst fields of the year. The only players that play it are guys that need the money to keep their rankings or need to qualify for a major.
You're failing to get the point. Tiger avoids courses that don't suit his game (like every tour player does) and he has the luxury of avoiding more than most players because of his status.

I noticed you haven't addressed the fact that half of Tiger's wins have come on 6 courses; none of them in the architectural vein of Merion.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #93
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
You're failing to get the point. Tiger avoids courses that don't suit his game (like every tour player does) and he has the luxury of avoiding more than most players because of his status.

I noticed you haven't addressed the fact that half of Tiger's wins have come on 6 courses; none of them in the architectural vein of Merion.
Well Tiger avoids Harbour Town because of timing of the course. Yes he does win on the same courses because he only plays in the same tournaments every single year. He rarely plays a new tournament. Again what was the purpose of the article you posted? To show how much that tournament has struggled to keep sponsors?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #94
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Oops - yeah, he's not playing this week. I meant that's what he'll do for Merion.

And there are quite a few venues that most of the bigger names skip. Not so sure it's because they don't feel the course suits them, but rather, most guys don't feel they can play every single week and be their best. It's a grind. So they pick and chose where they want to play based on where they live and locations of the venues. Maybe sometimes it's because they play well at a certain place. Harbour Town is one of those places I don't usually see a deep field of the best players. Same with TPC San Antonio as well as several others.

Tiger also used to play a few tournaments over seas because of the insane fee he could collect just to "show up".

I think one thing Deadhead is not relating to is the fact that sure, maybe 50% of Tiger's wins have come on 6 courses. But that still leaves some 30+ wins on a number of different courses. If you take away his wins on the courses you say, and what's left, that's still way more then most guys win anywhere. When he's dialed in, there's not a course he can't conquer. Having said that, it doesn't mean I think he will necessarily destroy Merion. I think his consistency has improved greatly over the last year and a half and I think he'll be in the mix at worst. I would bet $5K dollars he doesn't finish lower then the top 15. I'd probably bet $1K he finished top 5.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #95
Drunken.Broncoholic

Tiger wouldn't play a tournament after the masters no matter where it is played. Players burn out playing every week. Tiger is good enough and his wallet big enough that he doesn't have to. I would bet most golfers would love to pick and choose instead of scrambling every week.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 05-23-2013 at 01:46 PM..
Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #96
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:

Ok. More than 30 wins on other courses. How exactly is that bad? Not many golfers have 30 wins in their life.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #97
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Ok. More than 30 wins on other courses. How exactly is that bad? Not many golfers have 30 wins in their life.
Most golfers could say half of their wins came on the same courses because they only have a couple wins. How many tour players have 6 PGA tour wins? Dedhed likes his moving of the goalposts for sure.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #98
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Well Tiger avoids Harbour Town because of timing of the course. Yes he does win on the same courses because he only plays in the same tournaments every single year. He rarely plays a new tournament.
And how many times has he won a tournament the first time he's played a venue?

Quote:
Again what was the purpose of the article you posted? To show how much that tournament has struggled to keep sponsors?
No, to show how many of the players who's games are suited to tight, position golf courses love to play there. You're a little slow, aren't you.

I love the fact that you think you know Tiger's game so well because you've seen him on TV a bunch. I wonder if you've ever seen him in person or seen Butch and his brothers break down his swing, or have conversations with someone who plays against him on a weekly basis. Can you speak to that a little for me?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #99
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Are you really going pretend not to see the point in this?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #100
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Most golfers could say half of their wins came on the same courses
That's exactly the point, you dolt!