The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #51
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
personal beliefs or morals should have little to nothing to do with whether a player is liked or not.
great players are rarely good people because their competitive edge won't allow them to stop being so long enough.
This is among the most absurd takes I have ever read on this forum.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #52
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
i was talking about early on in his career. when he choked all the time and couldn't win a big tourney. all you heard was Phil is a nice guy but he can't win the big one.

and no, he's not a great golfer. he's good but not great.
way too inconsistent and misses too many cuts. that's not great, that's good.

and Phil has whined plenty of times in the past and even his california taxes rant.
but as a said before, him being a nice guy or a christian has little to do with if he should be liked or not in his profession.
Tiger is one of the biggest douche's in golf history in terms of his prickly nature and desire to destroy his opponents.
he's also one of the best if not the best golfer's in the history of the game and drives up tv ratings and makes the tour a **** load of money.

when Tiger doesn't play or is having a down year people tune out, when he's on people tune in.
i could care less what he does in his personal life short of murder, child abuse and satanic rituals.
if Tiger was the nicest guy in the world but never won a tourney no one would care about him, same with phil or any other athlete.
people getting pissed off on some moral compass soap box with Tiger about his personal life is as dumb as a person getting pissed off when they find out a politician lied to them. makes no sense, especially if it is a personal issue and doesn't directly affect you.
You seriously will not get a single person who knows golf to agree with you that Phil is not a great player. You look at most guys that are considered great players, guys that have 2 majors, and you look to see how many tour wins they have, you'll be seeing something like 18 wins. Phil has over 40 wins. He and Tiger are the only 2 active players on the PGA tour that have a life time of not having to quality for any tournament. Seriously dude, we all know Phil could have many more wins under his belt but being inducted into the HOF at 41 while you are still active on the tour surely must show you that he's not just a good player, heck not even just a great player, he's a truly special player. One of the best all time. If he wins another major or 2 and say 10 more wins by the time he's 50, he'll go down as one of the top 20 golfers in the HISTORY of golf.

- who in the hell do you consider a great player who is actively playing the game other then Tiger? Couples? Els? Well I hope not because Phil is better then both of those guys.

Let's see on this list who you think is great. Phil has more PGA wins then any of these greats. In fact, many of them he's doubled their wins.

Tom Watson
Lee Trevino
Johnny Miller
Gary Player
Davis Love III
Vijay Singh
Greg Norman
Ernie Els
Tom Kite
Ben Crenshaw
Nick Price
Jim Furyk

Phil is 9th ALL TIME in wins. I guess most people just take for granted that they think it's easy to win on tour. It's really not. If you've got 20 wins for your career, that's kick some tail. You got 30, you're exceptionally good. You got 40, you're all world extraordinaire.

Sam Snead - 82
Tiger Woods - 78
Jack Nicklaus - 73
Ben Hogan - 64
Arnold Palmer - 62
Byron Nelson - 52
Billy Casper - 51
Walter Hagen - 45
Phil Mickelson - 41

Last edited by ZONA; 05-20-2013 at 09:27 AM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #53
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Don't think Phil is good? Using Majors as a measuring stick....okay

Here's a list of anybody that has 3 majors out of roughly 350 attempts combined. Yeah...all these dudes are great.

Jack Nicklaus - 18
Tiger Woods - 14
Walter Hagen - 11
Ben Hogan - 9
Gary Player - 9
Tom Watson - 8
Bobby Jones - 7
Arnold Palmer - 7
Gene Sarazen - 7
Sam Snead - 7
Harry Vardon - 7
Nick Faldo - 6
Lee Trevino - 6
Seve Ballesteros - 5
James Braid - 5
Byron Nelson - 5
J.H. Taylor - 5
Peter Thomson - 5
Willie Anderson Jr. - 4
Jim Barnes - 4
Ernie Els - 4
Raymond Floyd - 4
Bobby Locke - 4
Phil Mickelson - 4
Tom Morris Jr. - 4
Tom Morris Sr. - 4
Willie Park Sr. - 4
Jamie Anderson - 3
Tommy Armour - 3
Julius Boros - 3
Billy Casper - 3
Henry Cotton - 3
Jimmy Demaret - 3
Bob Ferguson - 3
Ralph Guldahl - 3
Padraig Harrington - 3
Hale Irwin - 3
Cary Middlecoff - 3
Larry Nelson - 3
Nick Price - 3
Denny Shute - 3
Vijay Singh - 3
Payne Stewart - 3
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #54
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Garcia will be here to say he is done soon enough. I think he is a lock to win US Open. He won't have to hit driver and it will be like his last Brittish open.
A lock...to win the US Open? Not likely. It's certainly possible, but that course is set up to bring these pros to their knees. It's setup to protect par and that does funny things to the best golfers in the world. He'll need his driver. Having said that he's playing well and getting better all the time. He's number 1 for a reason. That doesn't mean he'll go on a tear and win 4 majors.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #55
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
A lock...to win the US Open? Not likely. It's certainly possible, but that course is set up to bring these pros to their knees. It's setup to protect par and that does funny things to the best golfers in the world. He'll need his driver. Having said that he's playing well and getting better all the time. He's number 1 for a reason. That doesn't mean he'll go on a tear and win 4 majors.
Nothing is a lock in golf but IMO he's the favorite to win. Who's out there playing lights out consistently right now? I don't see too many threats. A guy can get hot at the right time though so to say a lock is a bit extreme.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #56
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Tiger Woods is the heavy favorite to win the US Open and the 2014 Masters. He's only a slight favorite to win the British Open.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #57
jonny1
Ahhh, football!

Broncos' cheerleaders rule!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

Quote:
He actually will probably not need his driver alot, Median is short compared to most 'modern' courses.

He'll wear out his 5-wood and 2-iron.
jonny1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #58
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
I knew you would show up sooner or later. You also said he had no chance last year. Tiger will destroy Merion. I would be really surprised if he has to hit his driver at that course. Whenever he doesn't gave to hit it he kills everyone whether you like it or not. That's the facts Jack.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #59
IdahoBronco7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Ha it's a mess over there. Can't figure out who's really legit and who's ex. This confirms you're that profile though. Ex is too dumb to slither onto this site.
Ya, it's me. And the only posters I trust are the regulars over there, except I think Bleeds is for real. He has a web site for his Colorado Storm Band. Looked it up and he seems to be legit. But who knows anymore...
Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #60
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
i keep telling folks this all the time. being a great person only matters if they have the talent to back it up.
for years people raved about how great a guy Phil was but then followed that up with saying he choked in big moments.
personal beliefs or morals should have little to nothing to do with whether a player is liked or not.
great players are rarely good people because their competitive edge won't allow them to stop being so long enough.

All the people who hate Barry Bonds, Jay Cutler, AJ Perzinski and Alex Rodriguiz say "HI!".
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #61
IdahoBronco7

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
All the people who hate Barry Bonds, Jay Cutler, AJ Perzinski and Alex Rodriguiz say "HI!".
Fug 'em all and feed 'em fish heads.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #62
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny1 View Post
He actually will probably not need his driver alot, Median is short compared to most 'modern' courses.

He'll wear out his 5-wood and 2-iron.
Oh yeah...I was thinking it was Pinehurst.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #63
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
I knew you would show up sooner or later. You also said he had no chance last year. Tiger will destroy Merion. I would be really surprised if he has to hit his driver at that course. Whenever he doesn't gave to hit it he kills everyone whether you like it or not. That's the facts Jack.
He didn't have a chance last year. He's got one this year though. He's still not as mentally tough. I won't root for him either, because he's an ass.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #64
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9...rk-tiger-woods

Garcia makes remark, apologizes

Garcia, who took issue with Woods for what he viewed as a breach of golf course etiquette during the third round of The Players Championship two weeks ago, was asked in jest at a European Tour function if he would be inviting Woods to dinner during next month's U.S. Open.

"We'll have him round every night,'' Garcia said, according to The Guardian, a British newspaper. "We will serve fried chicken.''
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #65
Drunken.Broncoholic

Sergio just sounds even more stupid with each remark. Still crying for choking it into the water tin cup style. Keep making tiger look better dip****. Who's the one with class?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #66
ChrisToker

Tiger Woods- I'd say he's back....in the line at KFC

-Sergio Garcia

How many Masters has this guy won any ways? Plus the few tournaments he has won had an inflated purse due to TW in the golf world making him a millionaire. I heard he dipped out the back to avoid media after the dinner.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #67
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Tiger will destroy Merion.
I'm not so certain he'll destroy Merion. He's NEVER played the course and it will be US Open conditions so the rough will be thick and the greens fast. I

However, this is one course that I think the longer hitters have a major advantage for several reasons. Obviously with longer shots, being in the rough you are left with a shorter iron into the green which really helps out of that thick US Open rough. That's the 1 advantage a longer hitter will have on any course. But for this course, there's just not many trees blocking shots to the green if you miss the fairway. That's the second advantage. And much of the bunker trouble on the fairways ends around 300 yards. The longer hitters will not even mess around with having long bunker shots into these smaller greens when they can just rip it and not have to worry about the bunkers or trees blocking their shots into the greens. The shorter hitters are going to need to be really good with their approaches and their putting to have a chance.

But for a shorter course - it's right up there as one of the most challenging shorter courses. #11 is a great short par 4. You'll see plenty of balls in the creek. #18 is one of the most hardest 400 yard par 4's you'll see. You just can't believe how sloped that fairway is and the green is no slouch either. #9 and #17 are brutal par 3's. And last but not least, that 1 foot links rough around all the bunkers will surely cause it's share of trouble.

This is #9 - aint no easy par there.

Last edited by ZONA; 05-22-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Old 05-22-2013, 04:09 AM   #68
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Sergio just sounds even more stupid with each remark. Still crying for choking it into the water tin cup style. Keep making tiger look better dip****. Who's the one with class?

neither
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #69
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I'm not so certain he'll destroy Merion. He's NEVER played the course and it will be US Open conditions so the rough will be thick and the greens fast.
Well nobody else has played it either.

Quote:
However, this is one course that I think the longer hitters have a major advantage for several reasons. Obviously with longer shots, being in the rough you are left with a shorter iron into the green which really helps out of that thick US Open rough. That's the 1 advantage a longer hitter will have on any course.
Guys will be able to hit irons off the tee and only have wedges in their hands. Tiger hits 90 percent of his fairways when he doesn't use a driver. Huge advantage Tiger woods. There is nothing that is as overrated as distance in Golf. This course will be set up hard and fast because the USGA is alreadly scared that the course will be too easy. The reason they took it out of the mix was Jack Nicklaus destroyed the course. I'm not even a Tiger fan but this course is custom made for him.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #70
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Who's the one with class?
Tiger is every bit as classless as Sergio. Let's not even touch his personal life for the time being. From getting caught cheating at this year's Masters and not disqualifying himself, to his actions at the Player's, and numerous other examples, Tiger has a well established track record of being classless.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #71
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9...rk-tiger-woods

Garcia makes remark, apologizes

Garcia, who took issue with Woods for what he viewed as a breach of golf course etiquette during the third round of The Players Championship two weeks ago, was asked in jest at a European Tour function if he would be inviting Woods to dinner during next month's U.S. Open.

"We'll have him round every night,'' Garcia said, according to The Guardian, a British newspaper. "We will serve fried chicken.''
Funny comment from that link:

"I ate the bones!"

-Tiger Woods

bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #72
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Tiger is every bit as classless as Sergio. Let's not even touch his personal life for the time being. From getting caught cheating at this year's Masters and not disqualifying himself, to his actions at the Player's, and numerous other examples, Tiger has a well established track record of being classless.
I'm not saying tiger has class. Just that around the Internet people were saying how much class Sergio has, including himself. So I questioned who? RB pretty much had the answer

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 05-22-2013 at 08:58 AM..
Old 05-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #73
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
um....what are you talking about? A LOT of the guys on tour have played Merion.

Quote:
Guys will be able to hit irons off the tee and only have wedges in their hands. Tiger hits 90 percent of his fairways when he doesn't use a driver. Huge advantage Tiger woods. There is nothing that is as overrated as distance in Golf. This course will be set up hard and fast because the USGA is alreadly scared that the course will be too easy. The reason they took it out of the mix was Jack Nicklaus destroyed the course. I'm not even a Tiger fan but this course is custom made for him.
I think you have this about 100% bass-ackwards. Tiger has the greatest advantage on long/open courses where he can spray his driver and still be able to get a wedge on the green. He avoids a lot of tournaments on courses where position is key; eg Harbor Town.

Half of all Tiger's wins have been on 6 courses, all of them long even by tour standards.

95% of tour players hit over 90% of fairways with irons; 1-2% hit the ball as far as Tiger with a Driver.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #74
Drunken.Broncoholic

I like that 3 wood he's been using though. Tiger hasn't been winning lately with long distance drives with his driver. His short game and putting has been pretty dam good as of late putting him in position to win

It will be fun watching them at this course. I don't know what to expect. The 17th and 18th will be fun to watch. And the reason we won't see super low scores on a par 70

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 05-22-2013 at 10:08 AM..
Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #75
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

Well, Jack also did say "Acre for acre, it may be the best test of golf in the world."

Following the land acquisition they did lengthen the course to around 7000 yards so it's not THAT short and it's definitely longer then when it last hosted a major.

Spyglass is only 7000 yards. TPC Sawgrass was only 7200 yards. So this new Merion isn't some 6300 yard course to be had for the taking. It's tricky and develish and I don't see these guys ripping this course up. I think -6 or -7 is going to win the US Open. Not only that, it's a 7000 yard Par 70. Ok, nobody is going to rip this course up.

Oh and I think Sergio is a racist POS. When people get frustrated, their true colors come out. His fried chicken remark showed his true colors. I hope he packs his **** and leaves the PGA tour. I can understand his frustration, but call the man an a-hole or punk, don't go saying racist stuff. Fricken tool.