The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #126
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Yes, Elway and Fox have said that Harris is one of the best Nicklebacks in the NFL and they have no plans on moving him to the outside.
link? he played on the outside most of the season in 2 CB sets last year and moved inside in nickel situations. He thrived both on the outside and in the slot.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #127
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Just to follow up...

There's no question in my mind that the Broncos drafted Kayvon Webster to (hopefully) replace Tony Carter as the Dime CB, to prevent another Jacoby Ford-esque killer TD. They could have drafted Phillip Thomas in the 4th round, but would he have been an upgrade at Safety in 2013? Probably not.

I'm good with their decision.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #128
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
link? he played on the outside most of the season in 2 CB sets last year and moved inside in nickel situations. He thrived both on the outside and in the slot.
That is what I said. He is a nickelback and they plan on leaving him there. He played a little on the outside after Porter was done and later in the year when Carter started sucking but he is a nickel back and Denver is going to leave him there. If they wanted him at CB they would have moved him out there and then got a Nickelback in FA or the draft.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #129
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

@Ed Werder
Broncos pursuing deal with DB Charles Woodson and thought it could happen quickly but Giants could have renewed interest
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #130
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Can Mike Adams guard top TE's like Gronkowski/Pitta? No.
Can Charles Woodson guard top TE's like Gronkowski/Pitta? Yes.

Last edited by pricejj; 05-16-2013 at 11:06 AM..
Old 05-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #131
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Can Mike Adams guard top TE's like Gronkowski/Pitta? No.
Can Charles Woodson guard top TE's like Gronkowski/Pitta? Yes.
For once, I agree with Pricejj! Woodson should allow flexibility for his ability to man up on a TE. We don't need a strong safety in this defense, we don't need a bigger DB to play close to the line. We have enormous DT's that will help handle the run.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #132
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
For once, I agree with Pricejj! Woodson should allow flexibility for his ability to man up on a TE. We don't need a strong safety in this defense, we don't need a bigger DB to play close to the line. We have enormous DT's that will help handle the run.
I don't like our chances after Woodson left...seems like he's angling for more money. But it would be great if we could get this guy on an inexpensive 2-year deal. Pretty much the last weak link of an overall great Broncos team.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #133
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I don't think Woodson worth much and Broncos may just pass on him. Doesn't look like he's been stopping anyone since 2009.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #134
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I don't think Woodson worth much and Broncos may just pass on him. Doesn't look like he's been stopping anyone since 2009.
He tied for most INTs in the league with 7 INTs in 2011.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #135
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
That is what I said. He is a nickelback and they plan on leaving him there. He played a little on the outside after Porter was done and later in the year when Carter started sucking but he is a nickel back and Denver is going to leave him there. If they wanted him at CB they would have moved him out there and then got a Nickelback in FA or the draft.
He started 12 of the 15 games he played in last year so yes, he was already playing the corner in 2 CB sets and moved to the slot in nickel situations. My guess is he does the same this year because he's a better CB (inside or outside) than DRC. Do you have a link where the Johns stated they stated they have 'no plans' of moving him to the outside? I haven't seen any mention of that until your post and it seems incredibly early for them to say they are going to demote a CB who played as well as Harris did last year.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 05-16-2013 at 11:24 AM..
Old 05-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #136
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
But it would be great if we could get this guy on an inexpensive 2-year deal.
I don't think the Broncos are willing to guarantee any money in year 2. The first team who does, if anybody, probably gets him.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #137
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
yeah, he was 1st team AP All-Pro that year too--which unlike making the Pro Bowl is actually a pretty big achievement. also finished tied for 6th in DPOY voting in 2011
Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #138
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I don't think the Broncos are willing to guarantee any money in year 2. The first team who does, if anybody, probably gets him.
If I was the Broncos, I would offer him $6M over 2 years ($2M signing bonus). He'll probably go to somebody else for a couple mil more. Watching Willie McGinest interview Woodson, it seemed like Woodson was more interested maximizing the $$.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #139
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
And keep in mind, 4 of the 7 were inside playing the nickel.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #140
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
If I was the Broncos, I would offer him $6M over 2 years ($2M signing bonus). He'll probably go to somebody else for a couple mil more. Watching Willie McGinest interview Woodson, it seemed like Woodson was more interested maximizing the $$.
Its his last contract, why wouldnt he?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #141
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Apparently the Giants are only interested in a one year, vet minimum type of salary...

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...er-for-woodson
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #142
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I can;t believe people care so much about Woodson. He's just too slow to give you all what you want IMO. Moore is such a better athlete then he is and Woodson not going to help you at SS as much as you think he would. He's not a starter anymore in the NFL.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #143
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Apparently the Giants are only interested in a one year, vet minimum type of salary...

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...er-for-woodson
I wouldn't think we would be interested in much more than that, either. I'm thinking something similar to the Shaun Philips deal...1 year $1 million with incentives.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #144
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Its his last contract, why wouldnt he?
I don't have a problem with it, I would do the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I wouldn't think we would be interested in much more than that, either. I'm thinking something similar to the Shaun Philips deal...1 year $1 million with incentives.
Woodson made $11.5M last year...no way he plays for vet minimum. I'm sure Woodson has taken notice of how waiting a little while is working out for Freeney.

Last edited by pricejj; 05-16-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #145
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
He started 12 of the 15 games he played in last year so yes, he was already playing the corner in 2 CB sets and moved to the slot in nickel situations. My guess is he does the same this year because he's a better CB (inside or outside) than DRC. Do you have a link where the Johns stated they stated they have 'no plans' of moving him to the outside? I haven't seen any mention of that until your post and it seems incredibly early for them to say they are going to demote a CB who played as well as Harris did last year.
You can search for the link as easily as I can. Nickel backs are cheaper than CBs. If Elway thought Harris was better as a CB than DRC he would have moved him out there and saved some money. Harris is a good CB, but as Elway said Harris is one of the best slot CBs in the NFL. He covered Welker very well against the Pats.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #146
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

...and to think. Ed Reed is getting $5 mill a year and is two years younger.

We have a good history with old future HOF DB's though.

Woodson would be a nice fit. I just hope he isn't another Ty Law.

I'd be confident about getting Woodson if he hadn't won the SB in Green Bay. He doesn't "need" another. He can just play for the money at this point. Assuming he's financially solid though, in his shoes I'd play in Denver. He'd be around some old future HOF players in Manning and Bailey and in a team with a healthy atmosphere. Would be great ease of life.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #147
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I can;t believe people care so much about Woodson. He's just too slow to give you all what you want IMO. Moore is such a better athlete then he is and Woodson not going to help you at SS as much as you think he would. He's not a starter anymore in the NFL.
he can still certainly outrun most safety's in the league.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #148
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
You can search for the link as easily as I can. Nickel backs are cheaper than CBs. If Elway thought Harris was better as a CB than DRC he would have moved him out there and saved some money. Harris is a good CB, but as Elway said Harris is one of the best slot CBs in the NFL. He covered Welker very well against the Pats.
Yeah, I'm not going to search for something that in all likelihood, imo, doesn't exist. That's why I asked if you had a link readily available.

Yes, Harris is one of the best nickel backs in the league. However, that doesn't preclude him from starting on the outside and moving into the slot on nickle downs-which is exactly what he did last year. I think Harris is better on the outside and he's better in the slot than DRC so I don't think his role will be much different than what it was at the end of last year. In this scenario DRC would still man the outside in nickel sets.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 05-16-2013 at 04:51 PM..
Old 05-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #149
Agamemnon

Quote:
You're out of your mind if you don't think (a healthy) Woodson would make this defense better. The part in parentheses is key though.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #150
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
...and to think. Ed Reed is getting $5 mill a year and is two years younger.
that's the guy we should have been all-in for.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote