The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #101
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Jonathan Cyprien would look good right meow.
If there were doubts about Carter or the safety position in general, I can't understand why we didn't take one, with plenty of options available with every pick..
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #102
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
If there were doubts about Carter or the safety position in general, I can't understand why we didn't take one, with plenty of options available with every pick..
Having Rahim Moore and a rook running around in the defensive backfield against Brady/Flacco doesn't exactly instill confidence does it?

Adams played well in 2012. Woodson would be an upgrade and is a better leader/playmaker.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #103
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
You mean Quinton Carter
Tony Carter was one of the best man to man corners where? In the NFL!!?? Or on our team? Cause he was our third best corner at best! It's not like he shadowed and mirrored #1 receivers or even #2 receivers all year long. I'm not sure why you have a hard on for Carter..?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #104
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Having Rahim Moore and a rook running around in the defensive backfield against Brady/Flacco doesn't exactly instill confidence does it?

Adams played well in 2012. Woodson would be an upgrade and is a better leader/playmaker.
So who's the strong safety after Adams/Woodson then?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #105
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer
 
Broncos4Life's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,797
Default

Would it be unheard of for a team to keep 11 dbs on a roster? I know the Broncos spent a lot of time in nickle and dime packages last season. If this offense is more potent than last year, that time will increase. This looks to be the best depth at DB I've seen in years on the Broncos. Even with the lack of experience at safety.

Plus there is still training camp and preseason. The reality that there is an injury to the CB/S positions is very likely, so no need to fuss about the amount of depth at DB for the moment. We can start all the real arguments during camp. That said, I hope we sign Woodson!
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #106
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
So who's the strong safety after Adams/Woodson then?
Who's the QB after Manning? Who's the shutdown CB after Champ?

I'm happy with the Sylvester Williams and Montee Ball picks, hopefully both of them will be impact players this year.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #107
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,726

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Who's the QB after Manning? Who's the shutdown CB after Champ?

I'm happy with the Sylvester Williams and Montee Ball picks, hopefully both of them will be impact players this year.
Harris did a pretty damn good job last year. I would hate to see champ go down but I would have confident in him.
Quoydogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #108
BroncosfanGuy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
He only played safety one year in his entire career and that was last year and he was injured and kinda sucked.
Woodson was only listed as a safety one year. He moved to safety, nickle, and wherever else needed in subpackages years prior to 2012 so he has plenty of experience playing a hybrid role-which I think is likely what he'd be doing in Denver. Probably not playing safety full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Who's the shutdown CB after Champ?
Chris Harris

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 05-15-2013 at 11:43 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #109
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4Life View Post
Would it be unheard of for a team to keep 11 dbs on a roster? I know the Broncos spent a lot of time in nickle and dime packages last season. If this offense is more potent than last year, that time will increase. This looks to be the best depth at DB I've seen in years on the Broncos. Even with the lack of experience at safety.

Plus there is still training camp and preseason. The reality that there is an injury to the CB/S positions is very likely, so no need to fuss about the amount of depth at DB for the moment. We can start all the real arguments during camp. That said, I hope we sign Woodson!
Denver could always just keep two MLBs
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #110
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,454

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Tony Carter was one of the best man to man corners where? In the NFL!!?? Or on our team? Cause he was our third best corner at best! It's not like he shadowed and mirrored #1 receivers or even #2 receivers all year long. I'm not sure why you have a hard on for Carter..?
Not sure why you hate on him, he had 2 INTS 2 Fumble recoveries and 12 passes defended. Harris had 3 INT's, 0 FR's, 12 passes defended, and 2.5 sacks. Carter is the better Man defender of the 2.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #111
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Not sure why you hate on him, he had 2 INTS 2 Fumble recoveries and 12 passes defended. Harris had 3 INT's, 0 FR's, 12 passes defended, and 2.5 sacks. Carter is the better Man defender of the 2.
Carter played excellent last year. I heard that he faded badly down the stretch. There was speculation that he just wore down because he only weighs like 175 lbs. With another year of workouts and experience he should improve greatly. Woodson cannot make the roster as a CB. DRC, Champ, Harris, Carter, Webster and Bolden have those spots wrapped up. Now Bolden has not shown much on the field but he has shown himself to suck either. He just hasn't had much of an opportunity yet.

Depending on Q. Carter's health I like Denver's secondary as is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #112
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops
 
rmsanger's Avatar
 
Another one bites the dust!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,043

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
and Rhodes has some not so locker room friendly traits.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #113
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Not sure why you hate on him, he had 2 INTS 2 Fumble recoveries and 12 passes defended. Harris had 3 INT's, 0 FR's, 12 passes defended, and 2.5 sacks. Carter is the better Man defender of the 2.
Let me get this straight Steven, you prefer Tony Carter in man to man over Chris Harris? Wowww...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #114
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

There's only a handful of true "shutdown" CBs in the league. People are really looking for more than one on one team?


I'd rather have a stable of decent CBs than a shutdown or high priced CB. Offenses are just throwing to the other side of the field. Nhamdhi was a shutdown corner with the raiders. He only had like 3ints in 60 games. Teams attack away from a shutdown making their impact on the field minimal. Throw a stable of good corners out there and I'm happy.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 05-15-2013 at 04:19 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #115
BroncosfanGuy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Not sure why you hate on him, he had 2 INTS 2 Fumble recoveries and 12 passes defended. Harris had 3 INT's, 0 FR's, 12 passes defended, and 2.5 sacks. Carter is the better Man defender of the 2.
the opposite is true and it's not close.

I think Carter gets a bad rap here a lot of the time, but Harris is easily the better CB, especially when it comes to playing man.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 05-15-2013 at 04:14 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #116
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Who's the QB after Manning? Who's the shutdown CB after Champ?

I'm happy with the Sylvester Williams and Montee Ball picks, hopefully both of them will be impact players this year.
Oz or Dysert, DRC or Webster or Bolden.. This is if you put faith into our draft picks, with DRC being the exception since he is a young FA acquisition.

There were quality safeties available in the third and fourth round.. If Carter's long term health is a question mark, then a long term replacement needs to be added. I'm not sure why that's even in question..
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #117
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
Harris did a pretty damn good job last year. I would hate to see champ go down but I would have confident in him.
Harris is phenomenal as a Nickel CB, he's a good #2, but playing inside is way more difficult than outside. On the outside you can use the sideline and the field is almost cut in half, whereas on the inside you are defending sideline to sideline. That is extremely difficult to do, and we have one of the best and youngest in the game. I think Winfield is 1A and Harris 1B, though Harris is young and just keeps getting better. With the increase in the passing game, a doninant Nickel CB is going to be a necessity many teams will want/need to have.. We have the luxury of having the games best!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #118
Johnykbr
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Woodson left town without a contract.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #119
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer
 
Bigdawg26's Avatar
 
Just let it happen!!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,968

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!
Default

I expect big things from Q.Carter and I hope he gets back on track and gets the starting SS spot. I would like to see Woodson take the FS spot if possible.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #120
Broncojef
Ring of Famer
 
Broncojef's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Great White North
Posts: 3,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
Woodson left town without a contract.
Broncos | Charles Woodson leaves without contract
Wed, 15 May 2013 17:21:26 -0700

Updating a previous report, free-agent CB Charles Woodson (Packers) left the facility of the Denver Broncos Wednesday, May 15, without a contract. However, that does not mean the two sides are not negotiating, and the team is still believed to be the frontrunner to sign him.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #121
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,454

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Quinton Carter isn't a starting caliber Strong Safety on a SB contender. The Broncos need a real Defensive leader/playmaker at the Safety position. That's what Woodson would bring.

Any contract the Broncos would sign Woodson to, would probably become revenue nuetral by letting Mike Adams and Knowshon Moreno walk in 2014. Hopefully they can get him for $2M-$3M per year on a 2 year deal.
Exactly, plus isn't Ayers deal coming to the end? He is not getting a monster deal, or doesn't deserve it from us unless he goes beast mode. That will save us another $3Mill for a role player.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #122
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Not sure why you hate on him, he had 2 INTS 2 Fumble recoveries and 12 passes defended. Harris had 3 INT's, 0 FR's, 12 passes defended, and 2.5 sacks. Carter is the better Man defender of the 2.
Harris is a much better CB.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #123
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Harris is phenomenal as a Nickel CB, he's a good #2, but playing inside is way more difficult than outside. On the outside you can use the sideline and the field is almost cut in half, whereas on the inside you are defending sideline to sideline. That is extremely difficult to do, and we have one of the best and youngest in the game. I think Winfield is 1A and Harris 1B, though Harris is young and just keeps getting better. With the increase in the passing game, a doninant Nickel CB is going to be a necessity many teams will want/need to have.. We have the luxury of having the games best!
Yes, Elway and Fox have said that Harris is one of the best Nicklebacks in the NFL and they have no plans on moving him to the outside.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #124
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Broncos | Charles Woodson leaves without contract
Wed, 15 May 2013 17:21:26 -0700
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #125
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
There were quality safeties available in the third and fourth round.. If Carter's long term health is a question mark, then a long term replacement needs to be added. I'm not sure why that's even in question..
This doesn't really have anything to do with upgrading the backup SS Quinton Carter. Charles Woodson is on the market and might be able to be signed for a couple mil per year. He would upgrade Mike Adams, that's it. Nothing else to see here.

Last edited by pricejj; 05-15-2013 at 07:04 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Denver Broncos