The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #451
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Seems to fit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5-23-2013 1-31-00 PM.jpg (51.5 KB, 51 views)
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #452
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
umm.. actually they did target liberal groups, back when your daddy dubya was in charge. Funny indeed.
Lolz. When one liberal group gets scrutiny, it's "targeting"

When all conservative groups get scrutiny, it's a "shortcut"
Old 05-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #453
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Lolz. When one liberal group gets scrutiny, it's "targeting"

When all conservative groups get scrutiny, it's a "shortcut"
meh...go on your witch hunt, you're just gonna waste tax payer money.And i'm pretty sure it wasn't 'all' conservatives. You guys have sure turned into drama queens.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #454
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

He can't hide forever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obama irs 2.jpg (53.0 KB, 33 views)
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #455
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Crook!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obama irs 5.jpg (77.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #456
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Good read from Sullivan on the topic. Here's part of it that never occurred to me:

Quote:
Then we hear pundits like George Will and Peggy Noonan actually bring up Watergate as the closest historical analogy – which is, to put it bluntly, deranged. Remember, for example, that this scandal was not exposed by Woodward and Bernstein (although anecdotal complaints were aired in the press at the time) – but was exposed by the IRS itself. The IRS moreover also attempted to end this practice, and when that failed, set up an Inspector General report into the outrageous screening. In such an investigation, the Obama administration properly maintained an ethical distance for fear of seeming to affect the investigation’s findings. Watergate? Are they out of their fricking minds? Or cynics trying to gin up a story in a not-so-great season for ratings?
http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/...aranoid-style/
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #457
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Don't forget. Nixon was a Republican president. The GOP has a reason for wanting to rewrite that little piece of history. They remind me of the Chinese. Have a piece of history you don't like? Just rewrite it!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #458
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Forgetting the pathetic and fruitless witch hunt for a moment, the right wingers have spent a lot of time defending profiling tactics in the past. How is this any different? The Tea Party has an anti-tax, anti-IRS platform. Isn't it reasonable to suspect a group associating themselves as a Tea Party group would be more likely to pull a fast one than the Sisters of Mercy or something? How is this different from paying extra special attention to the Arab guy at the airport?

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 05-24-2013 at 06:55 AM..
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #459
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Forgetting the pathetic and fruitless witch hunt for a moment, the right wingers have spent a lot of time defending profiling tactics in the past. How is this any different? The Tea Party has an anti-tax, anti-IRS platform. Isn't it reasonable to suspect a group associating themselves as a Tea Party group would be more likely to pull a fast one than the Sisters of Mercy or something? How is this different from paying extra special attention to the Arab guy at the airport?
I think that's the point our illustrious media is too gutless to bring up.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #460
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

inferno its that type of thinking that makes this wrong and illegal.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #461
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
inferno its that type of thinking that makes this wrong and illegal.
I didn't say it wasn't wrong, I just pointed out the fact that right wingers are generally OK with profiling tactics until the shoe is on the other foot.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #462
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

That's not a legitmate argument to defend what is going on here.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #463
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
That's not a legitmate argument to defend what is going on here.
Can you read? I'm not defending it. I just find the blatant right-wing hypocrisy hilarious.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #464
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

You are defending by trying to put it back on the republicans.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #465
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Good read from Sullivan on the topic. Here's part of it that never occurred to me:

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/...aranoid-style/
Sullivan's a dumbass. How long did you figure they'd be able to sit on an IG's report? As has been pointed out Congress was pressuring to find out what was going on, and the media was starting to catch wind. In fact they were explicitly worried about that fact when they finally changed the targeting policy to a more rational one.

The postion that if Nixon had just scooped Woodward and Bernstein the day before they went to press, everything wouldda been a-ok would be surprising, if it weren't coming from Dr Sullivan, teleOBGYN.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #466
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I didn't say it wasn't wrong, I just pointed out the fact that right wingers are generally OK with profiling tactics until the shoe is on the other foot.
You'll have to be a bit more specific. But I don't think you'll find many conservatives on board with the IRS 'profiling' anyone.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #467
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

No one in the public (and apparently in Congress) has actually read the IG report, but some are assuming **** like they have.

All we know is that certain groups claiming tax exempt status with tea party in their name were asked additional burdensome questions. We don't know if they were denied status, what their original paperwork stated or what policy direction was given to the field on the subject by IRS. Though we do know that field office was direct not to single out groups because of Tea Party, after it was brought to senior officials direction.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #468
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You'll have to be a bit more specific. But I don't think you'll find many conservatives on board with the IRS 'profiling' anyone.
It's entirely logical. I'm surprised you don't know the alleged pros and cons of profiling by heart, though I suspect you're playing dumb again. You can only get away with playing it for so long though, before people stop assuming you're playing. (See one: cutthemdown)

The thought process goes that, since old women don't generally bomb planes, you ignore them at security. Since we have had incidents where people of Middle Eastern descent have been terrorists, it stands to reason that we should pay more attention to them...to target them in searches so that we don't waste their time by targeting everyone equally.

The same logic goes into what the IRS did, whether you agree with the tactic or not. Little old lady sewing circles societies? Not likely to be used as a tax haven and political tool sans-repercussions. Groups affiliated with a movement that derives its name from an act of economic and political terrorism related to taxes? Might want to pay a bit more attention to them.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #469
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Sullivan's a dumbass...

The postion that if Nixon had just scooped Woodward and Bernstein the day before they went to press, everything wouldda been a-ok would be surprising, if it weren't coming from Dr Sullivan, teleOBGYN.
Well since Sullivan never said what you're saying he said here, I'm not sure who the "dumbass" is. You, or the guy with the Harvard PhD. Close call. (not really close, but I'm trying to be nice here)
Old 05-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #470
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
No one in the public (and apparently in Congress) has actually read the IG report, but some are assuming **** like they have.

All we know is that...
You seem to be missing the fact that BroncoBeavis knows everything! Or at least thinks he does...
Old 05-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #471
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
You seem to be missing the fact that BroncoBeavis knows everything! Or at least thinks he does...
Living inside the bubble. Like Mitt and his special Oracle DB that only used the "real" data.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #472
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
All we know is that certain groups claiming tax exempt status with tea party in their name were asked additional burdensome questions. We don't know if they were denied status, what their original paperwork stated or what policy direction was given to the field on the subject by IRS.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...roups/2158831/

Quote:
That was the month before the Internal Revenue Service started singling out Tea Party groups for special treatment. There wouldn't be another Tea Party application approved for 27 months.

In that time, the IRS approved perhaps dozens of applications from similar liberal and progressive groups, a USA TODAY review of IRS data shows

Quote:
Though we do know that field office was direct not to single out groups because of Tea Party, after it was brought to senior officials direction.
This is mostly bull****. It's obvious that someone fairly high up had to be on board with the original plan for it to be as widespread as it was. The fact that they revised the procedure after Congress started asking questions and talking to their IG doesn't suddenly mean that's when it was brought to their attention. They had to have known. Or if they didn't, they should be fired on the spot for incompetence. These applications sat in limbo for years. Is that permitted at the IRS, without some kind of flag being raised?

Again, signs point to no...

Old 05-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #473
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Well since Sullivan never said what you're saying he said here, I'm not sure who the "dumbass" is. You, or the guy with the Harvard PhD. Close call. (not really close, but I'm trying to be nice here)
He said that the IRS 'self reporting' (after Congress was already prodding around and sending in the IG) meant something meaningful.

Problem was, Nixon didn't know what the WaPo had on him, so he couldn't get out in front a few days before and say "whoopsie" with his own side of the story. I guess Andy would be a Nixonite to this day had he done so.

Anyway, the IRS knew what the IG report was going to say before anyone else (who was asking questions). In the meantime, they stonewalled and lied to Congress to keep everyone else in the dark as much as possible. They deserve 0 credit for throwing out their own(questionable) version of events just as the truth was about to come out regardless.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #474
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

It is going to get to 20 pages. You guys should find a better topic of discussion. This IRS/Tea Party stuff is much ado about nothing. Who cares?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #475
BroncoBeavis

Deniability Retreat! Retreat to the next Denial!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...tters-in-2012/

Turns out Ms. Lerner (5th Amendment Connoisseur and Head of the Tax Exempt Division) not only knew, but was actively participating only a year ago.

Spin it for me Tony. Go!