The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #76
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
You would be surprised. I never made six figures, but that's hardly uncommon in that business. Actually it's hardly uncommon in retail management, either. There's a huge stigma attached to retail type management jobs, and they do have their unique challenges, but take best buy for example it's a multi-million dollar business. So is theater management. You work at a theater that handles a million patrons a year, at $10 a ticket and $4 per capita in concessions, well...you do the math, if you can.
Is is true that most money at theaters come from concessions? Why is my Aquafina 4 dollars!?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #77
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Heritage Foundation to Theater Management in one thread.

Ahhh, the off-season on the Mane.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #78
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Carrot cake Cliff Bars are phenomenal.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #79
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
It isn't surprising. Most of the people who bash higher education and the pursuit of it are the ones who never took the opportunity to better themselves in that regard.
Not true at all it's just I got a degree in music and they really aren't worth that much. To me its worth a lot though. I wasn't bagging on someone staying home with kids. I was surprised that someone 35 yrs old could retire after only being a theater manager.

So maybe i don't speak German but i can read music. IMO that is a more important 2nd language because its spoken all over the world in every country. When i played on a cruise ship I would often be put into bands with guys I couldn't even talk to. But... like math music is universal and in that area we could communicate. I don't bag on education I only make fun of people who think because they have some degrees they think they are smarter in every subject then someone who doesn't. Some of the dumbest people I know have masters degrees. One guy I know designs computers and he can't even rig up his own fishing rod lol. But when my computer breaks he's the guy to call. I wouldn't say though he is smarter then my friend who owns the charter fishing boat. It's just they have knowledge in different areas.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #80
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Everyone has their own aptitude and skills. And yes, being able to read music and communicate to others (via instruments) is an incredibly important thing. Which is why I do that too. Music is awesome. Thinking about getting a Fender Champion 600 and modding it to go nanners.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #81
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Everyone has their own aptitude and skills. And yes, being able to read music and communicate to others (via instruments) is an incredibly important thing. Which is why I do that too. Music is awesome. Thinking about getting a Fender Champion 600 and modding it to go nanners.
Exactly and you wouldn't see me say you nothing about it because you didn't go to school for it. Just like someone could know a lot about any subject without going to school for it. Now those special people who are great in math with no training, that **** amazes me. Or little kids who can already shred on an instrument, amazing. There are special people but i bet most of us here on the Mane are of avg intelligence. The good news is humans are the smartest animal of the planet. So being avg not too bad.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #82
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Well when it comes to certain theory and really complex music stuff, I struggle. I just always liked music. Being in band for a while certainly didn't help. Very few people are virtuosos or prodigies. My jaw drops every time I see a YouTube of a little kid just getting down on a guitar. I've played for twelve years and really am proud of myself, but there are 10 years old out there who make me look like a dummy.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #83
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Not true at all it's just I got a degree in music and they really aren't worth that much. To me its worth a lot though. I wasn't bagging on someone staying home with kids. I was surprised that someone 35 yrs old could retire after only being a theater manager.

So maybe i don't speak German but i can read music. IMO that is a more important 2nd language because its spoken all over the world in every country. When i played on a cruise ship I would often be put into bands with guys I couldn't even talk to. But... like math music is universal and in that area we could communicate. I don't bag on education I only make fun of people who think because they have some degrees they think they are smarter in every subject then someone who doesn't. Some of the dumbest people I know have masters degrees. One guy I know designs computers and he can't even rig up his own fishing rod lol. But when my computer breaks he's the guy to call. I wouldn't say though he is smarter then my friend who owns the charter fishing boat. It's just they have knowledge in different areas.
But see, it's not really that. There's this thing called interdisciplinary education that some people on this board put down, yet it gives people a thorough education on the way things work in the world. Example: Dr. Broncenstein and others making asinine comments about Hitler and gun control...they would have never made these comments if they had taken (or paid attention during) a Western Civ class, a German Lit class, a Political Science class. Example: People making ignorant claims that fascism is a liberal movement...they would have never made these comments if they knew where it came from by taking (or paying attention during) a Western Civ class, a Roman History class, a Latin class. Example: Dramallama making "irrefutable" claims about the worth of IQ tests, and then when I spoke about educational psychology going on some rant about how a movie theater manager couldn't take 3 years of upper level psychology classes...apparently not understanding what educational psychology is, or that someone with designs on teaching for a living would be required to take educational psychology classes.

Everyone on the right always likes to joke about how students and professors are godless heathen libruls without any intelligence, when in fact interdisciplinary studies actually open your eyes to what makes the world turn. Instead they seem to live in an echo chamber that denigrates education gained for any other purpose than making money, then complain when anyone comes up with a different view than theirs.

I challenge everyone who missed out on a liberal arts education to "waste some money" at the local CC and take a history class or two. Take a history class that doesn't have the word "America" in it. Take a language class, and learn it without thinking "Man these people are backward! In English we say..."

But you are right, cut. Some of the most ignorant people come from high educational backgrounds. Unfortunately, in my experience, most of the "highly educated" dumb people don't have liberal arts degrees. They have degrees in computer science, medicine, and science. They are highly specialized degrees that prepare people for a highly specialized profession. IMO, they do not prepare people for the real world.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #84
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Req theory is so easy. Its being able to use the theory while chords are flying by that is super hard. Its why I only practice bebop jazz and don't really perform it. Just not good enough.

At the NAMM show this yr when my band played we had some really famous people there. Vinnie Coliuata, the CEO of Piaste cymbals, Stevie Wonder, Carmine Apiece just to name some of the big ones. What sucked is Stevie sat in with the band after us lol. What sucks worst is we play some of his songs it would have been epic. Whatever though maybe next yr.

A lot of guitar player just learn to read tab which is good, but not good enough to play of the cruise ships. They make sure you can read music. You don't have to be amazing at it but you have to be pretty good.

The thing with horn players is we start reading music in Jr high school band so most of them can do it.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #85
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I hate tabs for the most part because everyone gets them ****ing wrong or tunes to something stupidly retarded that makes a guitar sound like fifteen dudes blasting off bowel movements in a restroom.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #86
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Heritage Foundation to Theater Management in one thread.

Ahhh, the off-season on the Mane.
That's it. I'm making an Everything You Wanted to Know About Theater Management* thread.

What else do I have to do, the kids are at the in-laws and I've got a six pack of beer.

*but were afraid to ask
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #87
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

The butter in the popcorn can kill you!

No we don't put subliminal messaging in the movies you buy the candy because you are addicted to sugar

Yes if we drop a hot dog on the floor we will still sell it to you.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #88
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown
Exactly and you wouldn't see me say you nothing about it because you didn't go to school for it. Just like someone could know a lot about any subject without going to school for it. Now those special people who are great in math with no training, that **** amazes me. Or little kids who can already shred on an instrument, amazing. There are special people but i bet most of us here on the Mane are of avg intelligence. The good news is humans are the smartest animal of the planet. So being avg not too bad.
I must say I do envy people who can read music. It may be a language, but it's not a language in a traditional sense, and my brain just doesn't work like that. I can pick up the basics of most languages just by looking at some charts, but music eludes me entirely. I have tried and tried, but I just can't read it. I have pretty decent pitch and can pick out a tune on the guitar, but my hands simply aren't quick enough to play anything but the most basic stuff (read: old school country music chords).
Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #89
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I must say I do envy people who can read music. It may be a language, but it's not a language in a traditional sense, and my brain just doesn't work like that. I can pick up the basics of most languages just by looking at some charts, but music eludes me entirely. I have tried and tried, but I just can't read it. I have pretty decent pitch and can pick out a tune on the guitar, but my hands simply aren't quick enough to play anything but the most basic stuff (read: old school country music chords).
Honest question: what do you find difficult about reading music? It is true that being able to *read* music and competently *play* music are two separate deals (it takes a lot of practice to read and play simultaneously), but the actual reading of sheet music at is just a matter of memorizing what written note corresponds to which pitch, which note symbol corresponds to note duration, understanding what the time signature means (how may beats per measure and what note is a single beat) and learning the meaning of a few Italian words .

Sure, you can get some crazy things like irrational time signatures but that's pretty rare and definitely in the "advanced music reading" category.

Last edited by Fedaykin; 05-13-2013 at 05:56 PM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #90
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Honest question: what do you find difficult about reading music? It is true that being able to *read* music and competently *play* music are two separate deals (it takes a lot of practice to read and play simultaneously), but the actual reading of sheet music at is just a matter of memorizing what written note corresponds to which pitch, understanding what the time signature means (how may beats per measure and what note is a single beat) and learning the meaning of a few Italian words .

Sure, you can get some crazy things like irrational time signatures but that's pretty rare and definitely in the "advanced music reading" category.
I mean, I guess technically I can read mysic...I know that Every Good Boy Does Fine, and FACE. I can look at sheet music and say this is a quarter note half note whatever. What I have a hard time with is the translation from sheet to voice or instrument. I'm not sure if my brain just isn't fast enough with it to make the translation, or what...I'm sure part of it is just being frustrated with something seemingly so easy to a lot of other people.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #91
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I mean, I guess technically I can read mysic...I know that Every Good Boy Does Fine, and FACE. I can look at sheet music and say this is a quarter note half note whatever. What I have a hard time with is the translation from sheet to voice or instrument. I'm not sure if my brain just isn't fast enough with it to make the translation, or what...I'm sure part of it is just being frustrated with something seemingly so easy to a lot of other people.
Ahh yeah, that part takes a lot of time. I tend to work through sheet music and memorize the tune/fingerings/etc. using the actual sheet music as more of a guide/reminder while playing. I never was particularly good at picking up a completely new piece of music and playing it right away. With simple stuff sure, but not with the more complex music.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #92
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

To read music your eyes need to always be one measure ahead. Also you have to practice sight reading a lot. Read a piece of music best you can and record it. Then listen to a real pro playing it perfect and see what you missed. Then practice those passages over and over. Most music repeats itself and one you can read it is actually easier.

I don't take for granted it came easy to me as a kid but really i suck compared to real pros at it. I am actually better just blowing improvised solos over rock, blues, and funk progressions.

Playing pro level jazz is a whole other ball game. You know who was really good but doesn't come around much is Houghtams brother LABF. he hated me also but he sent me some mp3 once. He is a fine guitarist.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #93
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Ahh yeah, that part takes a lot of time. I tend to work through sheet music and memorize the tune/fingerings/etc. using the actual sheet music as more of a guide/reminder while playing. I never was particularly good at picking up a completely new piece of music and playing it right away. With simple stuff sure, but not with the more complex music.
I was in Phi Mu Alpha in college. We did some men's chorus concerts, and there was one piece we did with some effing whacked out time signature like 19/12 (obviously that's not it, but it was nothing I'd ever heard of before). The guy who conducted us was a composition major and was trying to explain it to me and I was just like "give me the CD and I can learn it". I guess we're all wired differently because I think I frustrated the hell out of him.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #94
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Also getting a teacher who reads along with is a big help. That way you can play along with him while you are reading the music together.

Most of you probably did not have a real professional teacher and were self taught. Since I believe music is somehow natural to humans i am not surprised many become amazing with no lessons. Or actually become decent players like many of you might be etc etc. But like anything you really need instruction if you are of avg talent like most of us.

Still though once you get the rush of having even a small club full of people connected to your music its like a drug. Just playing music is also like a drug. But being in a kick ass band and grooving together like one player is hard to describe. Playing in a band that is tight and punchy time stands still and the part of your brain that processes stress gets shut off. It just melts away and for that brief time the music is all that matters.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #95
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Time signatures are easy also. If you guys can pass an algebra class you could learn time signatures.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #96
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

But your right Houghtam we are wired to feel things in 4/4. Next easiest would probably be 2/4 which is just cut time. 3/4 not bad thats a waltz. But whats tough are pieces that have one or two measures of an odd time signature, then switch back.

Pro musicians when asked who was the toughest guys music to play? answer to many would be Frank Zappa. He used fast comelex chord structures and odd time signatures. Only a handfull of players good enough to be in his band. I for instance would be have been laughed out of the room. Honestly probably as bad as trying to get open vs Champ Bailey. Thats how good the musicianship was in his bands.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #97
El Minion
Ring of Famer

RNC Outreach Dir. Goes Democrat

Quote:
Nothing like switching political parties to hit ’em where it hurts. In an email Tuesday, Puerto Rico native Pablo Pantoja—appointed by the Republican National Committee to head Hispanic outreach in Florida—announced that he's joined the Democratic Party. "It doesn't take much to see the culture of intolerance surrounding the Republican Party today," he writes. To accurately illustrate what he calls the “racist innuendo" in the GOP, Pantoja cites a recent example of a researcher's dissertation, which focused on the likelihood that Hispanic immigrants' low IQs will lead to more Hispanic children with low IQs. "When the political discourse resorts to intolerance and hate, we all lose."
El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote