The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #51
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Would you like jalepenos (JAH-LAH-PEN-OHS) with your nachos?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #52
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Just remember, race and IQ are linked according to Knuckles.
Asian Americans would agree with
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #53
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I can't believe someone arguing about how hard their job is managing a movie theater lol.
I'm confused, in another thread Houghtham said he was one of those nerds that work at Best Buy ........ Awesome place, they give you a shirt with your name on it.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #54
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Would you like jalepenos (JAH-LAH-PEN-OHS) with your nachos?
Did you learn that phrase from your summer job in Colorado when you were couch surfing off your buddies?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #55
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I'm confused, in another thread Houghtham said he was one of those nerds that work at Best Buy ........ Awesome place, they give you a shirt with your name on it.
You can have different jobs in your life, you know. I bet if you search even harder, you can find instances of me talking about working for the Cincinnati Reds and Bengals, a minor league baseball team, a minor league hockey team, going to graduate school, having a degree in German and speaking Latin.

Next you're going to tell me that since I attended high school I never attended elementary school?

Good try, guys. Keep em coming!

houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #56
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
You can have different jobs in your life, you know. I bet if you search even harder, you can find instances of me talking about working for the Cincinnati Reds and Bengals, a minor league baseball team, a minor league hockey team, going to graduate school, having a degree in German and speaking Latin.
Awesome I wish I was fluent in a dead language.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #57
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Awesome I wish I was fluent in a dead language.

You're barely fluent in English!

That was a piss poor attempt at Subjunctive Contrary to Fact.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #58
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:

Yes there are justifications for the study of the Latin language but Iím just curious, when does the opportunity arise for you to speak Latin?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #59
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yes there are justifications for the study of the Latin language but Iím just curious, when does the opportunity arise for you to speak Latin?
When I feel like it, more or less. Usually with friends with whom I've kept in touch from those days. I'm by no means fluent, but you don't study it for seven years and not end up with some sort of ability to speak it, no matter how little it's used in the real world.

I don't think I have ever met a single person who has studied Latin for the sole purpose of speaking it.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #60
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
When I feel like it, more or less. Usually with friends with whom I've kept in touch from those days. I'm by no means fluent, but you don't study it for seven years and not end up with some sort of ability to speak it, no matter how little it's used in the real world.

I don't think I have ever met a single person who has studied Latin for the sole purpose of speaking it.
tempus fugit "expressing concern that one's limited time is being consumed by something which may have little intrinsic substance or importance at that moment".
Old 05-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #61
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
tempus fugit "expressing concern that one's limited time is being consumed by something which may have little intrinsic substance or importance at that moment".
ignoramus "An extremely ignorant person"
Old 05-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #62
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:

English? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Might not be important to My Little Pony and his awesome business endeavor, but anyone interested in language, law, medicine, etc. would definitely benefit from taking it.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #63
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
ignoramus "An extremely ignorant person",or a person who studies Latin for seven years .........................
Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #64
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Ab initio. . .
Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #65
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Might not be important to My Little Pony and his awesome business endeavor, but anyone interested in language, law, medicine, etc. would definitely benefit from taking it.
Yep. I definitely wouldn't be fluent in German without my background in Latin. Nor would I have gotten 3 years of tuition paid for...wait, 4 if you count grad school. 5 if you count the money I was paid to go to grad school.

Last edited by houghtam; 05-13-2013 at 01:46 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #66
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:

Come on "bad eyes" put your pop bottle glasses on and read the thread before you pop off.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #67
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Yep. I definitely wouldn't be fluent in German without my background in Latin. Nor would I have gotten 3 years of tuition paid for.

And at the very least, what is wrong with someone studying something they actually enjoy? Picking up languages and learning something new in that regard is always beneficial. Latin definitely helped with my German as well. Would be beneficial if taking a stroll through Vatican City too.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #68
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Come on "bad eyes" put your pop bottle glasses on and read the thread before you pop off.
Terri Schiavo whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #69
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Asian Americans would agree with
Nah.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #70
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Yep. I definitely wouldn't be fluent in German without my background in Latin. Nor would I have gotten 3 years of tuition paid for...wait, 4 if you count grad school. 5 if you count the money I was paid to go to grad school.

And after all that education when did you realize you were "Best Buy" material. Was it when they said son "with you background in Latin and German, we are going to give you your own blue shirt with your name on it".
Old 05-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #71
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
And at the very least, what is wrong with someone studying something they actually enjoy? Picking up languages and learning something new in that regard is always beneficial. Latin definitely helped with my German as well. Would be beneficial if taking a stroll through Vatican City too.
That's what I say, and we're raising our kids that way as well. Go to college, get a degree. Study something that interests you while gaining skills in valuable areas. That way if you get to the end of your collegiate career like I did and discover that inter/intra-departmental politics are not something you want to deal with for the rest of your career, you have a valuable skill-set and years of experience to fall back on.

I love it when people put down others' areas of study, to be honest. I absolutely loved college. I rarely skipped class because 75% of the classes were something which fascinated me. I didn't rack up a ton of debt, got paid to teach while going to grad school...used my background to land a job at the theater, and now I've been semi-retired at home with my kids for going on two years.

Yeah, I've made some pretty bad choices.

Enjoy your 9-5's, chumps!

Old 05-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #72
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

See thats the difference. I didn't like school so much but I like to work and especially work on big money trials. Then obviously I love music and that is what keeps me going. Retired home with kids just sounds boring to me Houghtam. But.... if you are under 40 and don't have to make money then I guess theater management more lucrative then we all thought. What your wife make all the money?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #73
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Pretty funny watching all the threatened posturing by the resident idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlet and Pony
Oh my God, someone likes to use their brain? Not fair, I don't have one!
Fedaykin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #74
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
See thats the difference. I didn't like school so much but I like to work and especially work on big money trials. Then obviously I love music and that is what keeps me going. Retired home with kids just sounds boring to me Houghtam. But.... if you are under 40 and don't have to make money then I guess theater management more lucrative then we all thought. What your wife make all the money?
You would be surprised. I never made six figures, but that's hardly uncommon in that business. Actually it's hardly uncommon in retail management, either. There's a huge stigma attached to retail type management jobs, and they do have their unique challenges, but take best buy for example it's a multi-million dollar business. So is theater management. You work at a theater that handles a million patrons a year, at $10 a ticket and $4 per capita in concessions, well...you do the math, if you can.

Also cut...the idea that staying home with kids is all fun and games is pretty ridiculous. It's about priorities. Do you have kids? What do you think the kids will remember more, that they had a dad who worked their entire life to give them "stuff"? Or that they had a dad who stayed home with them, raised them right, and spent time with them?

In a world where so many people bemoan the state of the family, it never ceases to amaze me how quickly people are to criticize or look down on stay at home parents, particularly dads. That criticism more often than not comes from people who lean conservative, in my personal experience. I have literally no explanation for this. Perhaps you or one of your esteemed colleagues could answer that?

Last edited by houghtam; 05-13-2013 at 04:01 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #75
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Pretty funny watching all the threatened posturing by the resident idiots.
It isn't surprising. Most of the people who bash higher education and the pursuit of it are the ones who never took the opportunity to better themselves in that regard.