The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #26
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Houghtam has gone 4-4 in this thread with 6 RBI's. One away from the cycle.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #27
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Information you can reasonably look up? The paper I referenced is not only common knowledge
No, little papers like that aren't common knowledge; that's another baseles appeal to popularity. Commonly-used textbooks like I mentioned are common knowledge. I think you Googled it off the top of your head, to be honest. A few points here: 1) IQ testing is widely used in education as an important and valid tool, and you're trying to brush that off by pointing to a few alleged dissenters. If you'd actually have taken educational psychology you should know this. 2) IQ is as I said regarded consensus-wise in the field of psychology as valid and with heavy genetic input which you ignored, and 3) Decades of IQ tests have shown consistent results, including the Stanford-Binet which is thoroughly screened for bias in race, gender, religion, culture, and socioeconomic status. It shows similar gaps. You have a steep hill to climb to brush it off. 4) You're basically saying you have more knowledge and authority about the validity of IQ testing over PhDs in psycholgy who have been doing these tests internationally for decades. Puh-leaze.

Quote:
I ask again, what part of suggesting the holocaust didn't happen isn't racist?
What kind of a-hole tries to associate IQ with the holocaust? Oh - a liberal one looking for a shield.

Quote:
someone is closely associated with a website which not only suggests the holocaust didn't happen,
This is a cheap and cheesy way of trying to undermine someone without addressing what you actually have a beef with. Since when was someone held accountable for everything everyone else said on some publication he was printed on? Since when? GARBAGE.

Going to some website he's published on AFTER THE FACT to look for weapons to fish for guilt by association against him is cheap and shows you have nothing.

All this tells me is that you are attempting to invoke an ideological litmus test against this man as a way of not having to deal with his statements.

Quote:
As far as my education vs my career goes, I'm not going to go into it, though suffice it to say if you've been around long enough, you can piece it together. It's not that hard.
Problemo - you haven't answered any of my points, and the more you talk (especially on these idiot tangents) indicates how little you know about psychology and IQ. Dude, you went from 3 years of educational psychology to movie theaters? You shouldn't be opening your yapper. Even if you had this education - you are not a PhD and you haven't worked in the field conducting these tests for decades. Whether you like it or not, this man is citing those who have. Now deal with that like a big boy and work from there.

You didn't answer what your beef is with this man and his statement about IQ. You still haven't explained that since IQ isn't your real beef with him, then what IS your beef? Instead, I get this long winding, long-winded avoidant garbage. I thought for a minute we were off to see the wonderful Wizard of Oz the tangent was so far off-track.

Furthermore, if you think it's all cultural, then you can explain why people from some northeast Asian countries score slightly higher on these same tests than whites? White supremacist plot, perhaps? Whitey be keepin teh yellow bruthaz down n sheeeeet?

So apparently IQ is a valid measure when it comes to spotting mentally retarded children who need help and and a valid measure when it comes to spotting low IQ criminals on death row to use as a reason to beg the court for clemency, but it's not a valid measure when it doesn't show different groups of people in a politically correct light, bathed in equals signs.

THAT is intelligent.

No -- you're just ticked off like all hell that it doesn't have equals signs for Latinos and you can't defend your hostility. Further, had the same tests come up with equal results that appeal to your philosophical views, you wouldn't be questioning their validity. End of story.

NO EQUALS SIGNS? THERE IS GREAT EVIL HERE! OMG!
Old 05-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #28
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Houghtam has gone 4-4 in this thread with 6 RBI's. One away from the cycle.
You're supposed to have me on ignore, little man. I'd say that we're now on page 2 and he's done nothing but link to one silly Goggle summary of one single paper, he's got a steep hill to climb. Especially with the level of expertise he is claiming to have.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #29
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
You're supposed to have me on ignore, little man. I'd say that we're now on page 2 and he's done nothing but link to one silly Goggle summary of one single paper, he's got a steep hill to climb. Especially with the level of expertise he is claiming to have.
Houghtam and Nyuk Nyuk apply to a job at Requiem's Record Store.

*reads over qualifications*

Do I want the smart, self-starting individual who has the ability to make my sales go through the roof . . .

Or do I take a gamble and hire the ex-Communist, English major who has never put her degree to use and is currently licking **** off the rims of commodes at the local hospital?

Hm. What a hard choice!
Old 05-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #30
nyuk nyuk

Aw, did he unignore me because he lubbs me??!!

Self-starters don't go from 3 years of upper division psych to movie theater management, brah. Just sayin'.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #31
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I would say that being a self-starter is a good quality for anyone in a managerial position to have.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #32
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Let Drama have the job. He's a BS artist. I think I've adequately addressed the racism issue on that site, as well as how it can affect the outcome of a study. That IQ tests are commonly (yes, commonly. your comments lead me to believe you have never stepped inside a high school psych class, let alone anything beyond that) believed to have a cultural bias which can affect the scores. This is something you learn in 101.

If you don't believe I've adequately addressed it, that's fine. We'll let the thread speak for itself, because I'm done arguing with you on the topic, particularly since you've proven time and time again that you can't take an objective stance on anything, and when I bring THAT up, you ignore it.

Listen, chump.

No one else ignored it.

Now go ahead and do your victory dance as if you think you've proven anything. You'll just keep looking stupid...but momma always said...

Drama is, as Llama does.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #33
nyuk nyuk

You accused the man who wrote this paper of being a demon and have neither stated your case to why he's a racist nor as to why his data is wrong. You have now also claimed racial bias without stating a case for it, and you have not answered any of my points. You have called him a racist merely by that he made a statement of inequality and that alone. You have purposely avoided not only that the Stanford-Binet has been throughly screened for such biases, but you have also totally failed to explain why these alleged biases do not negatively impact northeast Asian IQ scores. You have purposely avoided that these tests have been taken over several decades and show consistent scores. You have not explained why if IQ tests are so iffy and up to question, why are they in common use and and are commonly regarded, even in courts of law.

You do not talk like someone who has taken upper division psychology classes. You act like an egalitarian movie theater manager with a search engine. You've given vague responses, tried to assassinate someone by making vague guilt by association claims rather than taking on his objectionable paper head-on, and you've tried to demonstrate a knowledge in a field you clearly and simply do not possess.

You have nothing except a popcorn machine and some group toilets to clean, movie theater man. Get to it, I want to see Gatsby.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #34
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I would say that being a self-starter is a good quality for anyone in a managerial position to have.
I've had several managerial positions. They aren't exactly that hard to get. Maybe it seems that way if you've never had one.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #35
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Wait - this guy took 3 years of educational psychology and works in a movie theater?
He's Diane Chambers from Cheers.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #36
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I can totally see why Houghtams family hates him.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #37
nyuk nyuk

I want to know if this Heritage Foundation guy is a white supremacist or an Asian supremacist?!
Old 05-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #38
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
I've had several managerial positions. They aren't exactly that hard to get. Maybe it seems that way if you've never had one.
You would have to address this point to someone who hasn't been in a position like that, commode licker.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #39
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Wow some of you were managers before? I was a manager at 18 at a chevron station/auto car wash so what? Unless you manage some big business you started I am not impressed. Then if you do that i am seriously impressed. Most companies have so many managers the ones who think they manage are really just lackeys who make 0 important decisions. Sorry Houghtam deciding who was going to clean theater 10, or who was going to sell popcorn, or is little suzie could have the night off is not real managing.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #40
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Wow some of you were managers before? I was a manager at 18 at a chevron station/auto car wash so what? Unless you manage some big business you started I am not impressed. Then if you do that i am seriously impressed. Most companies have so many managers the ones who think they manage are really just lackeys who make 0 important decisions. Sorry Houghtam deciding who was going to clean theater 10, or who was going to sell popcorn, or is little suzie could have the night off is not real managing.
Says the paralegal.

You haven't a clue on what goes into theater management, warehouse management, or food & beverage management.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #41
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

What's funnier is houghtam thinks his experience working in the movie theater gave him more credibility as to what would happen should his theater be the unfortunate victim of a clown with an AR-15 with an axe to grind...and being a typical pacifist p***Y his answer was to not fight.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #42
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
What's funnier is houghtam thinks his experience working in the movie theater gave him more credibility as to what would happen should his theater be the unfortunate victim of a clown with an AR-15 with an axe to grind...and being a typical pacifist p***Y his answer was to not fight.

Yeah, in fact why don't you link that discussion here so people can see once again what a blowhard full of crap fool you are.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #43
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Says the paralegal.

You haven't a clue on what goes into theater management, warehouse management, or food & beverage management.
Your brother would probably like me more then you do. More then he likes you for sure.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #44
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
He thinks a scenario like what happened in India is a joke. I think terrorists with guns just fanning out one of the scariest MO's they have used. Right now my friends up north are packing all their heat. Assault rifles is they got them, handguns strapped on, because there is a killer on the loose and the police cant find him. Not sure if they got him yet I haven't heard back from him or seen a new report on the news yet.

There are many scenarios where Americans could find themselves in need of an assault rifle. Even if NYC or LA did decide we don't need them, what works in Los Angeles doesn't work in some more rural area.

I can agree that in 99 % of most situations our best bet is for the police to handle it, or I guess FBI if it gets really bad. But no one can say for sure what that 1% will end up being. It really could be some crazy terrorist walking down your street shooting people up.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #45
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Theater management. I know a lot about it because our firm does the defense work for a bunch or arc light and pacific theaters.

I know one of the most important things is the cleaning log. We recommend that you get a good cleaning schedule then make employees initial it has been done.

Also we look for surfaces that will be slick when wet and recommend replacing them. We actually have a slip expert that tests surfaces. Most important though is a plan in place to deal with all spills asap. And an inspection schedule so no spill or dangerous condition could be present for long without being discovered.

Outside of getting sued I can't think of things that are super important. You know keep theater the right temp, start movies on time, have good service and friendly staff, make sure all the concessions are stocked so you don't run out. I mean cmon how hard could it be.

Hire a bunch of young kids part time and make a schedule. But not all of the staff make sure you have some older workers also to show kids how to be mature. I know for a fact the owners of the theater, and the insurance company, are mostly concerned with not getting sued. They know having a nice theater, good movies, great service will be the key to profits. But not getting sued will be the key to keeping them.

Then last i would guess most of the money made on concessions? So you would need to make sure people don't sneek too much in. Oh and keep the peoples cell phones off.

BAM i could manage a theater and would probably only need the current manager to show me some ropes. I do agree any job has a lot of knowledge you only get from doing the job. And for a business like the movies I wouldn't know how to fix a popcorn machine, or who to call, etc etc but I bet it doesn't take to long to teach someone that sort of information.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #46
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I will digress though. I bet Houghtam a top notch theater manager. The movies start on time, they don't get sued, they make money, and everyone loved Iron Man 3 tonight. Now if we could just help him repair that fracturced relationship with his brother. .

I'm just messin with you Houghtam don't get so upset. It's all in fun unless people start punching throats.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #47
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
I'll be honest and say i have no idea what it would be like to have someone shooting at me. But I can see many instances where law abiding citizens could use an AR-15 or an AK-47. My question would then be whats better an AK or an AR and why? Someone recently told me an AK would be easier to get the ammo for.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #48
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Theater management. I know a lot about it because our firm does the defense work for a bunch or arc light and pacific theaters.

I know one of the most important things is the cleaning log. We recommend that you get a good cleaning schedule then make employees initial it has been done.

Also we look for surfaces that will be slick when wet and recommend replacing them. We actually have a slip expert that tests surfaces. Most important though is a plan in place to deal with all spills asap. And an inspection schedule so no spill or dangerous condition could be present for long without being discovered.

Outside of getting sued I can't think of things that are super important. You know keep theater the right temp, start movies on time, have good service and friendly staff, make sure all the concessions are stocked so you don't run out. I mean cmon how hard could it be.

Hire a bunch of young kids part time and make a schedule. But not all of the staff make sure you have some older workers also to show kids how to be mature. I know for a fact the owners of the theater, and the insurance company, are mostly concerned with not getting sued. They know having a nice theater, good movies, great service will be the key to profits. But not getting sued will be the key to keeping them.

Then last i would guess most of the money made on concessions? So you would need to make sure people don't sneek too much in. Oh and keep the peoples cell phones off.

BAM i could manage a theater and would probably only need the current manager to show me some ropes. I do agree any job has a lot of knowledge you only get from doing the job. And for a business like the movies I wouldn't know how to fix a popcorn machine, or who to call, etc etc but I bet it doesn't take to long to teach someone that sort of information.

You're absolutely right, you could do all that stuff. The unfortunate thing for you though, is that most of those responsibilities are taken care of by supervisors.

So congratulations, cut! I would hire you in at $8.00/hr working 30 hours a week beside a few college kids who major in film or are undecided.

Now go get a legal pad. Methinks you owe Sally Struthers a thank you note for your paralegal education. "You can major in business or accounting!"

Old 05-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #49
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I can't believe someone arguing about how hard their job is managing a movie theater lol.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #50
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I can't believe someone arguing about how hard their job is managing a movie theater lol.
I can't believe a paralegal is on record saying some of the dumbest things in the history of this message board.

Also, I never once said the job was "hard"...it's actually a pretty easy job to have if you have experience. It's very difficult to be a GOOD manager in the movie theater industry, given the variability, volatility, long hours at awkward times and constant turnover that employing young people brings, but I'm sure you could probably advance to assistant management after a few years with the floor staff. There was a special needs guy we employed once, in fact, that I think you could probably have learned a lot from.

I wouldn't really see you as a GM, though...even if I spent 5 years training you, you're really just too dense to do it...but yeah, I definitely think I could trust you counting milk duds with the proper training and supervision.

Last edited by houghtam; 05-13-2013 at 11:19 AM..