The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
nyuk nyuk

Default Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware -- THANKS, MEDIA!

Brought to us by the folks at the Pew Center

Despite national attention to the issue of firearm violence, most Americans are unaware that gun crime is lower today than it was two decades ago. According to a new Pew Research Center survey, today 56% of Americans believe gun crime is higher than 20 years ago and only 12% think it is lower.

In the months since the mass shooting at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school in December, the public is paying close attention to the topic of firearms; according to a recent Pew Research Center survey (Pew Research Center, April 2013) no story received more public attention from mid-March to early April than the debate over gun control. Reducing crime has moved up as a priority for the public in polling this year.

Mass shootings are a matter of great public interest and concern. They also are a relatively small share of shootings overall. According to a Bureau of Justice Statistics review, homicides that claimed at least three lives accounted for less than 1% of all homicide deaths from 1980 to 2008. These homicides, most of which are shootings, increased as a share of all homicides from 0.5% in 1980 to 0.8% in 2008, according to the bureau’s data. A Congressional Research Service report, using a definition of four deaths or more, counted 547 deaths from mass shootings in the U.S. from 1983 to 2012.2

Looking at the larger topic of firearm deaths, there were 31,672 deaths from guns in the U.S. in 2010. Most (19,392) were suicides; the gun suicide rate has been higher than the gun homicide rate since at least 1981, and the gap is wider than it was in 1981.

Knowledge About Crime

Despite the attention to gun violence in recent months, most Americans are unaware that gun crime is markedly lower than it was two decades ago. A new Pew Research Center survey (March 14-17) found that 56% of Americans believe the number of crimes involving a gun is higher than it was 20 years ago; only 12% say it is lower and 26% say it stayed the same. (An additional 6% did not know or did not answer.)

Men (46%) are less likely than women (65%) to say long-term gun crime is up. Young adults, ages 18 to 29, are markedly less likely than other adults to say long-term crime is up—44% do, compared with more than half of other adults. Minority adults are more likely than non-Hispanic whites to say that long-term gun crime is up, 62% compared with 53%.

Asked about trends in the number of gun crimes “in recent years,” a plurality of 45% believe the number has gone up, 39% say it is about the same and 10% say it has gone down. (An additional 5% did not know or did not answer.) As with long-term crime, women (57%) are more likely than men (32%) to say that gun crime has increased in recent years. So are non-white adults (54%) compared with whites (41%). Adults ages 50 and older (51%) are more likely than those ages 18-49 (42%) to believe gun crime is up.

-------------------------------------------------------

Media hype and omission of facts once again tars American perception of reality.

We are ****ed.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
W*GS
Ring of Famer

It's amusing when a right-winger complains about distortion of facts. The Right is all about perverting reality.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
It's amusing when a right-winger complains about distortion of facts. The Right is all about perverting reality.
Wog, my love, but what does your anger over the right have to do with this thread?
Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The liberals love to spout limiting guns, but when one points out the gangs and their violence with guns, which are largely full of minorities, that's considered racist and profiling. Just love the sense that goes on.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
The liberals love to spout limiting guns, but when one points out the gangs and their violence with guns, which are largely full of minorities, that's considered racist and profiling. Just love the sense that goes on.
Technically true. There aren't nearly as many Hells Angels and Mafia as Crips, Bloods, 13s, etc. Commonly what I see is a blame on society for the existence of these criminal gangs to begin with; they are "locked out" of "good jobs" and therefore go crazy and shoot granny, essentially.

I guess if you aren't white you just can't be motivated by cold, brazen greed. I'll make a note of that.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
Wog, my love, but what does your anger over the right have to do with this thread?
"Anger"? Nope. Amusement, yes.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
W*GS
Ring of Famer

White middle-class suburbanites and upper-class gated-community types have very little to fear from gun violence, yet they're the ones hoarding guns and ammo. A complete misperception of risk.

The NRA should take upon itself the distribution of handguns/shotguns/rifles to poor inner-city neighborhoods, since that's where most gun violence takes place. Those folks need to enact their RKBA to protect themselves.

Who's on board with me in getting the NRA to help those most likely to suffer from criminals with guns.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
nyuk nyuk

Wogs just suggested the NRA violate federal law and engage in illegal straw purchases.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Wogs just suggested the NRA violate federal law and engage in illegal straw purchases.
The NRA can verify the identities of the recipients in accordance with the law.

They certainly have the money to subsidize these self-defense tools.

Why are you opposed? Do not inner-city poor residents deserve to defend themselves?
Old 05-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
nyuk nyuk

Buying guns for others is called straw purchasing, dude. You know that, right?

What am I supposedly "opposed to" here? Why is there a strawman effigy of me hanging on this thread? Is it full of goodies?
Old 05-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Buying guns for others is called straw purchasing, dude. You know that, right?
Like I already said, the NRA can verify the recipient's identity before they get their gun(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk
What am I supposedly "opposed to" here?
Poor inner-city folk enacting their RKBA for self-defense, given their much greater likelihood of being the victims of gun violence.

Shouldn't the NRA step up and help out those people?
Old 05-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
nyuk nyuk

Verifying identity is irrelevant. You clearly don't know what straw purchasing is.

Kindly stick to the thread topic instead of trying to derail it into another RKBA rant. Thanks so much.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Verifying identity is irrelevant. You clearly don't know what straw purchasing is.
The NRA can then hand out gift certificates redeemable at any licensed dealer.

Shouldn't those most likely to be the victims of criminals with guns be able to defend themselves?

Or would you rather just write them off?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
nyuk nyuk

Wog, I know by your avatar you are apparently under a demonic influence, but kindly sick to the topic. I'm sure if someone wants help getting a gun they are intelligent enough adults to seek that aid on their own and don't need your kind benevolence.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Wog, I know by your avatar you are apparently under a demonic influence, but kindly sick to the topic.
Gun violence isn't the topic? Then the thread title is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk
I'm sure if someone wants help getting a gun they are intelligent enough adults to seek that aid on their own and don't need your kind benevolence.
It wouldn't be my kind benevolence. It would be the NRA's charitable and Christ-like aid to those most likely to suffer from the acts of criminals. Doesn't the NRA need more diversity, anyway?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Wog, I know by your avatar you are apparently under a demonic influence, but kindly sick to the topic. I'm sure if someone wants help getting a gun they are intelligent enough adults to seek that aid on their own and don't need your kind benevolence.

Demonic influence? LMAO your idiocy never ceases to amaze.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #17
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post

Demonic influence? LMAO your idiocy never ceases to amaze.
I got it! Nyuk isn't dramallama, he's Rep. Paul Broun (R - GA)!

"All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell."
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Poor people are such a drag on the country. We should give them some money.

Signed Barry Hussien Obama.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #19
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post

We can protect ourselves unless the govt takes our AR's away. Someday we may have 100 terrorists fan out with assault rifles like what happened in India. Local police would need all the help they can get.

Signed cutthemdown.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

At least my brother doesn't think I am a puss.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #21
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
At least my brother doesn't think I am a puss.
Even if that were true, he still wouldn't make ****heel comments like this:

We can protect ourselves unless the govt takes our AR's away. Someday we may have 100 terrorists fan out with assault rifles like what happened in India. Local police would need all the help they can get.

so I'd love him anyway
Old 05-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Media hype and omission of facts once again tars American perception of reality.

We are ****ed.
Really?? It's reported frequently. Have you heard of the internet? It will link you to many reported sources. You should look into it.

Gun crime statistics by US state: latest data 2011

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...crime-us-state
Gun Rhetoric vs. Gun Facts 2012

http://factcheck.org/2012/12/gun-rhetoric-vs-gun-facts/

Charts of the day: Gun violence in America declining over last 20 years
posted at 12:01 pm on December 26, 2012

http://media.hotair.com/wp/wp-conten...cide-chart.jpg
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #23
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Really?? It's reported frequently. Have you heard of the internet? It will link you to many reported sources. You should look into it.

Gun crime statistics by US state: latest data 2011

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...crime-us-state
Gun Rhetoric vs. Gun Facts 2012

http://factcheck.org/2012/12/gun-rhetoric-vs-gun-facts/

Charts of the day: Gun violence in America declining over last 20 years
posted at 12:01 pm on December 26, 2012

http://media.hotair.com/wp/wp-conten...cide-chart.jpg
Pfft. He's the same one who said there was a conspiracy to hush the suicides in the military.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #24
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Pfft. He's the same one who said there was a conspiracy to hush the suicides in the military.
He should change the thread title to "Right wing media is ignoring drop in gun homicides."

That's apparently all he reads.

Last edited by DenverBrit; 05-12-2013 at 11:02 AM..
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #25
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Let's give the rich more tax cuts so they can buy even more guns!

Sogned: Mittens
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote