The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #26
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I assumed the first because of whats to come and he because he was narrating to Varys as that scene was shown.
Me too, but then I re-watched the scene.

Littlefinger's "crest" normally looks like this in the series:

Because of the distance, it's hard to be 100% sure, but it looks like the same crest appears on the middle sail of the ship that Sansa was watching. If so, that's at least his ship.

Whether he's actually on board or not, I've got to think that she assumes he is.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #27
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

As far as Sansa and we know, Littlefinger is on that ship, headed for the Eyrie.

Now that she's to wed Tyrion she wishes she could have gone with him instead of telling him that she wanted to stay.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #28
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

I actually appreciate this thread. I am deep into this show, so much,that the wife refers to it as the "dragons and naked people show."

If you get into the series prior to the book, how is your perception of the story different?
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #29
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

I think last week's episode was my favorite of the whole series so far.

And I'm still trying to sort out the implications of the discussion between Thoros and Melisandre. She seemed genuinely outraged that Thoros has been awarded more experience points.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #30
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
I think last week's episode was my favorite of the whole series so far.

And I'm still trying to sort out the implications of the discussion between Thoros and Melisandre. She seemed genuinely outraged that Thoros has been awarded more experience points.

I'm interested by the implications of this Lord of Light worship seeming to have real power. I think I have read that the basic idea is that after a long absence, magic (e.g. dragons, white walkers, red comets, etc) is coming back into the world? Just curious if we will get any insight into the source of this power that Thoros and Melisandre use for their smoke babies and resurrections. Seems obvious it isn't exactly a benevolent force working through them, but it does seem to be more "real" than the worship of other gods the other characters ostensibly worship.

Other thought:

The obligatory "Theon getting tortured" and "kids having dreams in the forest" scenes we get every week are wearing thin. Balancing the book's 1000 characters with the TV medium is tricky, and they do it fairly well, but this season I am really starting to feel the strain of having to drop in on minor plots that aren't going much of anywhere every week.

No doubt those plots will become much more relevant down the line, just feels like there are several momentum killing scenes a week as they try to help us remember all the pieces on the board. If this wasn't based on preexisting novels, Theon would have been offed at the end of his failed Winterfell takeover arc in season 2.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #31
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Also, I saw that George RR Martin wrote next week's episode. He wrote just one in each of the previous seasons (including Blackwater last year) so hopefully that indicates a major event coming.

I have read that something happens in the middle of book 3 (this season apparently only covering the first half of that book up to that point) that is 1) shocking and 2) the reason the showrunners Benioff and Weiss wanted to create the show. So I am expecting a big payoff in these final 4 weeks.

And since Old Dude mentioned wanting predictions, here is my general one:

Episode 9 is when this show usually does something big (Ned's head, Blackwater). Episode 9 this year is called "The Rains of Castamere" which is that Lannister song about how the lion laid waste to someone who did not obey. Basically a song Tywin brings up to scare people into submission, remind them of what has happened in the past to the disobedient. Someone (probably Rob Stark, but possibly Daenerys) is going to close in on King's Landing...and get absolutely destroyed. Tywin has something in the works this whole season, outside the marriage plotting distractions, that will lead to him killing off a major threat, like the Stark's army. That's my guess.

Last edited by Kid A; 05-08-2013 at 10:11 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #32
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
I'm interested by the implications of this Lord of Light worship seeming to have real power. I think I have read that the basic idea is that after a long absence, magic (e.g. dragons, white walkers, red comets, etc) is coming back into the world? Just curious if we will get any insight into the source of this power that Thoros and Melisandre use for their smoke babies and resurrections. Seems obvious it isn't exactly a benevolent force working through them, but it does seem to be more "real" than the worship of other gods the other characters ostensibly worship.

Other thought:

The obligatory "Theon getting tortured" and "kids having dreams in the forest" scenes we get every week are wearing thin. Balancing the book's 1000 characters with the TV medium is tricky, and they do it fairly well, but this season I am really starting to feel the strain of having to drop in on minor plots that aren't going much of anywhere every week.

No doubt those plots will become much more relevant down the line, just feels like there are several momentum killing scenes a week as they try to help us remember all the pieces on the board. If this wasn't based on preexisting novels, Theon would have been offed at the end of his failed Winterfell takeover arc in season 2.

Theons torture was not even in book 3. It was in book 4. Word is that the producers liked theons actor so much and his character that they decided to bring it in now because they couldnt keep him off set.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #33
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
I'm interested by the implications of this Lord of Light worship seeming to have real power. I think I have read that the basic idea is that after a long absence, magic (e.g. dragons, white walkers, red comets, etc) is coming back into the world? ...
I'm not basing this on anything I've read in the books - where there may or may not be supporting or contradicting points, but ...

This whole scene has me wondering whether these people (Thoros and Melisandre) are simply tapping into some font of magical power that has nothing to do with any "god." In other words, despite the manner in which Thoros belittled his own role (saying that the Lord did it, not himself), could it be that the power really does reside in the "talents" of the individuals and that their belief systems are nothing more than a mental "crutch" for wielding it?

Thoros, by his own admission was a lousy red priest and had already abandoned the "faith."

In a much earlier episode, Varys made a comment about "power" residing where people "believe" it resides. He was talking about political power, but could the same thing apply here?

So far, we've seen that a lot of the "magic" in this setting (whether arcane, like the Warlocks, or divine, like the followers of the Lord of Light) can somehow be triggered or enhanced by the following things: fire, sacrifice, blood and dragons. And in most of those cases, some pretty powerful emotions were at play.

Obviously, there has got to be some "outside" element since it's clear (even from the TV series) that magic can wax or wane or vast periods of time. But that doesn't mean that a god is involved. Or at least not any particular god.

If the religions of Westeros (and Essos) are mainly just belief systems that help magically talented people grasp their abilities, there could be all kinds of interesting confusion and conflict if and when some of those systems clash.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #34
lolcopter

ask the sorceror in varys' crate haha

either way, thanks again for this thread. the other one is a confirmed mess of book readers spoiling everything
Old 05-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #35
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Also, I saw that George RR Martin wrote next week's episode. He wrote just one in each of the previous seasons (including Blackwater last year) so hopefully that indicates a major event coming.

I have read that something happens in the middle of book 3 (this season apparently only covering the first half of that book up to that point) that is 1) shocking and 2) the reason the showrunners Benioff and Weiss wanted to create the show. So I am expecting a big payoff in these final 4 weeks.
All I will say is:

/cackles with glee
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #36
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Okay, caught up with the latest episode.

Feels difficult to guess what the climax in the final two hours of this season will be. Because they split Book Three into TV seasons 3 and 4, some of these plotlines will probably just keep building. But it's pretty much established some kind of **** is hitting some kind of fan next week.

We have a Lannister-Tyrell wedding (or two). We have the Stark-whatever that other family is wedding up north. Khaleesi out East stirring up more **** on her freedom tour. I'm worried about...basically everyone? Tywin's got something on deck, and I wouldn't want to be remotely on his bad side at this point. But basically everybody is, so who knows. We're definitely losing a major character next week.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #37
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Actually, I think we may have to wait two weeks for episode 9 due to the Memorial Day break. Might want to check your listings.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:27 AM   #38
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

So Sam killed the White Walker then leaves the special knife behind and runs away with the crows flying after him? Ummmmm thats just silly. I watched it again and cant see him pick it up. That just doesn't make sense. Wouldn't you grab that and take it with?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #39
jutang
Pro Bowler

Sam has become the equivalent of Andrea in the walking dead series. Dumb idiot mistake made one after another. Can't wait til they write him off the show. Doesn't seem to add anything except confirming the dark knife is what will be needed to fight the whitewalkers.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #40
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post
Sam has become the equivalent of Andrea in the walking dead series. Dumb idiot mistake made one after another. Can't wait til they write him off the show. Doesn't seem to add anything except confirming the dark knife is what will be needed to fight the whitewalkers.
Sam is Sam from LOTR.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #41
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
He's basically the only completely innocent character on the show. I don't know, I haven't gotten tired of him yet (he basically gets 5 min a week). I'm rooting for him to get with Gilly, poor basterd deserves a break.

But, yes, was yelling for him to pick up the goddamn knife. But those crows man. Those crows.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #42
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Oh ye of little faith. Martin has a certian propensity for societal outcasts. I anticipate Sam having quite the future.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #43
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

I thought this recap might help some of you who were a little confused about the royal marriage arrangements:

Old 05-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #44
lolcopter

Loras's anger during that whole speech was hilarious
Old 05-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #45
CHANGSTER
You are a pizza burn...

on the roof of the world's mouth

There seems to be a trend forming of bad things happening to man parts.
CHANGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #46
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
ask the sorceror in varys' crate haha

either way, thanks again for this thread. the other one is a confirmed mess of book readers spoiling everything
Yeah, I just accidentally went there and It's not fun when they're talking about do they think so and so is finally going to make an appearance this week.

This thread is definitely for those those who have not read the books and don't want guys talking about **** that's gonna happen next year or whatever.

And that last episode - that which got a rock hard body. So wanted to bang her.

And those freaky things that are undead, chubby killed one. That's got to be some magical blade or something. And chubs leaves it on the ground and runs away, dumb ass.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #47
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Yeah, I just accidentally went there and It's not fun when they're talking about do they think so and so is finally going to make an appearance this week.

This thread is definitely for those those who have not read the books and don't want guys talking about **** that's gonna happen next year or whatever.

And that last episode - that which got a rock hard body. So wanted to bang her.

And those freaky things that are undead, chubby killed one. That's got to be some magical blade or something. And chubs leaves it on the ground and runs away, dumb ass.
In the other thread, you asked about the face-carving on the tree.

When HBO released the DVDs for the first couple of seasons, the DVDs had some "extras" on them concerning the history of Westeros. Since these were made available as an aid to show-watchers, I don't think they constitute "spoilers." They talk only about events in the past, before the series supposedly starts.

If you are curious about the face-carvings on the tree, here's a short clip about them (produced by HBO):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Wkvzll1ys

Note also that the big white tree you see growing out of Winterfell in the opening credits "map" scene is supposed to be one of these weirwood trees. The Starks, unlike most of the other royal families (who live way down south) still regard these trees as shrines and worship the "old gods."

As for Sam dropping the knife, that's easy to explain, at least in D&D terms. He simply blew his WILL saving throw and panicked.

A panicked creature must drop anything it holds and flee at top speed from the source of its fear, as well as any other dangers it encounters, along a random path. It canít take any other actions. In addition, the creature takes a Ė2 penalty on all saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. If cornered, a panicked creature cowers and does not attack, typically using the total defense action in combat. Panicked is a more extreme state of fear than shaken or frightened.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #48
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Danny dies next week.

Spoiler.

Last edited by Old Dude; 05-23-2013 at 07:13 PM..
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #49
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

After a week off, the series continues tonight.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #50
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Holy **** balls
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote