The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Broncos satisfied at MLB?

Some recent information suggests perhaps not.

Peter King wrote this yesterday:

Quote:
The Ravens, as I wrote last week, heard reliably that Houston (drafting 57th) and Denver (58th) were interested in Brown, so they traded ahead of them to get Brown.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...aft/index.html

Mike Klis wrote this:

Quote:
They did have Georgia’s Alec Ogletree rated No. 1 on their inside linebacker board and LSU’s Kevin Minter was No. 2. Ogletree’s past character issues off and on the field, though, caused the Broncos to take defensive tackle Sylvester Williams with their No. 28 overall pick. Ogletree went No. 30 to the St. Louis Rams, whose coach Jeff Fisher has never shied away from character problems.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...-irving/19316/

IAOFM has a post further detailing this: http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ckers-in-draft
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

The team is going to be awfully disappointed that they didn't get an ILB in this draft when Irving and Johnson inevitably **** the bed.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Johnykbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The team is going to be awfully disappointed that they didn't get an ILB in this draft when Irving and Johnson inevitably **** the bed.
Unfortunately I agree unless we pick up a quality free agent.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Bacchus

If Irving cannot handle it do not count out Bradley. He is big and earned himself a huge contract in Philly unfortunately the team that gave him the big contract was Arizona, who switched him to a 3-4 LBer. Now that he is back in a 4-3 he could be a steal. He is 6'4" 260 lbs. It would be nice getting a true banger in the middle. he is white

Last edited by Bacchus; 05-08-2013 at 08:03 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I am confident in Irving. King is just speculating on sources. Dude has been wrong so many times that I take everything with a grain of salt. I have no doubt that we looked into MLB because behind Irving we don't have much at all.

Still what that other article fails to mention about Ogletree, is that while he was rated as their top MLB, he was not rated higher than Sly.

People, we had a shot at a decent MLB in the first 3 rounds (you could say 4th rd too), and passed. That should tell you all you need to know. If they felt unsatisfied by the MLB position after the draft, don't you think we would be approaching a FA MLB by now?
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

interesting, I wonder if Teo was even on our board after reading that. It will be fun to see how he does in San Diego.
srphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
King is just speculating on sources.
I agree that it's speculation on the Brown pick. But if Klis is correct it sounds like they would have gone MLB in the 1st were it not for Ogletree's character issues.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Dont we run nickel 66% of the time with WW and Trevathan?

Unless Irving is Joe Mays bad I think we will probably be fine
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Dont we run nickel 66% of the time with WW and Trevathan?

Unless Irving is Joe Mays bad I think we will probably be fine
I think that is the feeling, why pay premium for a MLB who isn't going to play in the nickle.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I agree that it's speculation on the Brown pick. But if Klis is correct it sounds like they would have gone MLB in the 1st were it not for Ogletree's character issues.
They are probably "satisfied" with the situation, otherwise they would have addressed the position in either FA or the draft. But being satisfied doesn't mean you necessarily think you are set at the spot for 10 seasons. You aren't going to have an All-Pro at every position, so sometimes you have to be content with someone you think is decent. That being said, that doesn't mean that they wouldn't look to upgrade if they felt it was a good value. So, maybe they viewed someone like Brown as an upgrade who could be had at a good value (late 2nd round pay), but they didn't feel the position was in such dire straights that they needed to sign a FA to big contract or draft a MLB they may not be crazy about. Of course, we'll never know if they would have passed on Ball in favor of Brown had he been available.

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 05-08-2013 at 08:18 AM..
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Some recent information suggests perhaps not.

Peter King wrote this yesterday:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...aft/index.html

Mike Klis wrote this:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...-irving/19316/

IAOFM has a post further detailing this: http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ckers-in-draft
They may have had Olgetree and Minter rated 1 and 2 but that does not mean it was particularly their top targets in the first round. I thought Rhodes was their top target, and Sly slipped down to them (which was a higher value pick to them). If they really wanted to get Minter or Brown they could have easily traded out of the first round (like they did with Wolfe) and grab him in the high second.
I liked Irving when they drafted him, and I think he's a going to be a more athletic thumper than Mays. If he wasn't hurt his first year, I think he coulda took Mays job then.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

BIG AL was the last of our good to great MLBs. That said we have three guys on the roster that should be more than adequate.

Besides just tell the safety to back up and we will be fine.................lol
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I'm hoping Irving pans out but up to this point, I have no reason to believe he will be the MLB the Broncos drafted him to be. I have to believe what the coaching staff tells me and that Irving is the guy and he will be the starting MLB. He's got the physical tools and the instincts, he's aggressive and finally completely healthy. I'm excited to see him play.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Not sure about that because it's not logical value. While Ogletree is a great player, his is still a MLB. Now days MLB don't go in the top 20 unless you are Willis or a Kuechly.

Who was a better Value at our pick? A penetrating DT that was projected as a top 15-20 pick? or a MLB that won't be on the field when we are running the nickle defense (about 66% of the snaps)?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I think that is the feeling, why pay premium for a MLB who isn't going to play in the nickle.
Because every quality NFL defense has a MIKE linebacker who can play three downs and not come off the field. It is essential because those are usually the guys with the headset bringing in the plays and delegating it to the defense. One of the reasons why Mays was benched was because he failed to relay play calls well enough from the sidelines and at times was making wrong calls.

It is easy to see why they thought high of Ogletree, because he can play every position and is the exact type of player you want on the field. He is an upgrade over both of those guys in coverage immediately and undoubtedly more athletic. Another perfect scheme fit for the team. I would have actually preferred him over Williams, but I think Sly will be a great asset to the team.

There are some quality WLB/ILB in 2014 and I am hoping Denver finally decides to do the right thing and address it with a high selection. It is paramount for this team and the future of the defense to have a guy like that.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #16
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
They may have had Olgetree and Minter rated 1 and 2 but that does not mean it was particularly their top targets in the first round. I thought Rhodes was their top target, and Sly slipped down to them (which was a higher value pick to them). If they really wanted to get Minter or Brown they could have easily traded out of the first round (like they did with Wolfe) and grab him in the high second.
I liked Irving when they drafted him, and I think he's a going to be a more athletic thumper than Mays. If he wasn't hurt his first year, I think he coulda took Mays job then.
Yup, had Rhodes been there he would have been the pick (though that's speculation too, but at least there was evidence that showed that was a high possibility)
Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #17
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Not sure about that because it's not logical value. While Ogletree is a great player, his is still a MLB. Now days MLB don't go in the top 20 unless you are Willis or a Kuechly.

Who was a better Value at our pick? A penetrating DT that was projected as a top 15-20 pick? or a MLB that won't be on the field when we are running the nickle defense (about 66% of the snaps)?
You obviously never watched much of Ogletree at Georgia because your assessment of him is incredibly wrong. His coverage skills are one of his strongest assets and he can literally play any of the positions. The Rams got a steal with him at #30 and he is going to start for them immediately. It will either be WLB or MIKE, my guess is WLB because James L. already knows what he is doing on the inside. Regardless, they are interchangeable and Ogletree makes up for the lack of speed, athleticism and coverage ability that Dunbar, McIntosh and others on their team do not have.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Yup, had Rhodes been there he would have been the pick (though that's speculation too, but at least there was evidence that showed that was a high possibility)
It isn't speculation. The first round presser with Elway and Fox pretty much made it clear that is who they wanted.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #19
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You obviously never watched much of Ogletree at Georgia because your assessment of him is incredibly wrong. His coverage skills are one of his strongest assets and he can literally play any of the positions. The Rams got a steal with him at #30 and he is going to start for them immediately and probably at WLB because James Laurinaitis is their guy on the inside.
My issue with Ogletree is that I don't know if he has the ideal mental make-up to be a MIKE. If you are going to play him on the weakside like St. Louis evidentally will, then fine. But aside from physical ability, you want your MIKE to be an intelligent player who can call the defense and get everyone lined up and be a leader of men. Character questions are always a concern, but I think that's magnified at a leadership position like MLB. Ogletree seems like kind of a knucklehead, so is this a guy you can trust to be the QB of your defense? I'm not so sure.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #20
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
My issue with Ogletree is that I don't know if he has the ideal mental make-up to be a MIKE. If you are going to play him on the weakside like St. Louis evidentally will, then fine. But aside from physical ability, you want your MIKE to be an intelligent player who can call the defense and get everyone lined up and be a leader of men. Character questions are always a concern, but I think that's magnified at a leadership position like MLB. Ogletree seems like kind of a knucklehead, so is this a guy you can trust to be the QB of your defense? I'm not so sure.
He might have made stupid decisions off the field, but that doesn't necessarily serve as an indictment of his on the field abilities as a leader. He was one of the most inspirational motivators on the Bulldogs. Furthermore, the guy was easily the most athletic linebacker in this class: flows side-to-side, can blitz and cover. Which is more than likely why he (other than the fact that JL is there) will be a day one starter and immediate impact player for the Rams. This is the kind of pick you want to have on the team. Obviously Von is our SLB, but this kid could have played MIKE or WILL here (though Woodyard is here now, who knows if we will retain him past this year) and been a ten year guy.

I am fine with the Broncos passing on him because of their concerns regarding his character, but I feel like he could have done more for the team than Williams will this year. Though, I like Williams a lot and he was definitely a good value. Had Floyd not fallen to Minnesota, we would have never had a shot at him. Would have been interesting to see what we would have done had Sly and Rhodes not been there. Sly, Rhodes and Jones were the guys Elway and Fox spoke of at the Day 1 presser.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Elway, JDR and Fox are so positive on Irving and Johnson (repeated this on the season ticket holder conference call yesterday)that this will be the first huge test of taking a major gamble and rolling with it. I see it as a failure. When they start looking into contacting a 36 year old Brooking, you will know that their chance failed. I also feel Ayers is going to be a disappointment even with our additions. He will look much better but it won't even be close to fill in Doom's shoes.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 05-08-2013 at 10:12 AM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Elway, JDR and Fox are so positive on Irving and Johnson (repeated this on the season ticket holder conference call yesterday)that this will be the first huge test of taking a major gamble and rolling with it. I see it as a failure. When they start looking into contacting a 36 year old Brooking, you will know that their chance failed. I also feel Ayers is going to be a disappointment even with our editions. He will look much better but it won't even be close to fill in Doom's shoes.
If this board had been around in 1997, how much would it have b****ed the day management anoited Rod Smith as its number one receiver?
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #23
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

It will be interesting for sure to see what MLB steps up?

What is the most recent case when a draft pick stepped up for us after a couple years who wasn't expected to ? Harris?
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #24
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

The Ravens, as I wrote last week, heard reliably that Houston (drafting 57th) and Denver (58th) were interested in Brown, so they traded ahead of them to get Brown.

If they were that interested why would they let anyone reliably know? I call BS he don't know shyt
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #25
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I think there is a lot of reason to be excited about Irving. By the end of last season he was consistently killing it on special teams. You could see a huge change from the beginning of the year to the end. His speed, presence, and ball instincts just kept getting better.

I think he finally got healthy and started to adjust to the overall speed of the game. I think he has a good shot of being a high quality player for us next year.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote