The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #126
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Pimp.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lucas Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Uh, I don't recall seeing Miller with a pot gut. You want to throw up pics from both years and when they were taken so we can see what you're suggesting?
I'll take that Pepsi challenge:

Von Miller 2012 (Browns game in December)

Von Miller 2013 (Seattle Preseason game in August)

He might have gained some muscle, but Miller obviously ate a ****-load of cheetos and pepperoni pizzas during the 2013 offseason, too.

Last edited by BowlenBall; 01-10-2014 at 10:05 PM..
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #127
TerrElway
Pro Bowler

Vickerson gained a **** ton of weight in the off season, did that contribute to his hip falling off of his body?
TerrElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #128
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Tiny pads look gay
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #129
KevinJames
Peyton Taking us to SB 13

If he wants to stay above 260 why not convert him to RDE, seriously hes not great in coverage and his strongest point is run defense and rushing the passer, and a lot of his big plays come with his hand in the dirt.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #130
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
By any measure (and ignoring all the games Miller missed this year), the 2013 season was a disaster compared to the 2012 season. The big difference was the extra weight that Miller put on.

For Miller at least more weight translated to worse play. Therefore, putting on the extra weight was a mistake.

My guess is that the coaches encouraged him to do this; therefore, I blame the coaches!
Seriously? A disaster? Let's look at PFF's grades on him for the year (yes, I'm aware PFF has a hard-on for him, but it's still apples-apples):

2012 (17 Games): Overall: 84.4 (36.3 run, 52.9 pass)
2013 (8 games): Overall: 40.4 (18.6 run, 20.0 pass)

Run defense graded a little better, pass rush not as good. I don't see "disaster" in this analysis. Even though he only played half a season, he still had the best cumulative run defense grade for all linebackers. And the 3rd best linebacker pass rush grade (Dumervil, Mathis).

I agree that he wasn't as consistently fast off the line as last year, although the fact the he still flashed that quickness tells me that his weight wasn't holding him back that much(unless he got lighter for the NE game). Too many other possibilities to just tie it to his weight. Different assignments, focus not as good because of all the suspension sh*t, maybe he was pressing too hard or whatever. Or maybe his 2012 season was off the wall bonkers, and it's unrealistic to expect that kind of performance every year regardless of weight. His weight gain was likely a pretty minimal factor and placing blame (for really good performance) there is just lazy.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #131
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

It will be funny when Von next yr says i needed to be smaller, quicker, to rehab the knee and get speed back for pass rushing.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #132
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

I don't see how him being injured had anything to do with his weight gain. It's was an unfortunate injury that would have happened whether he was 260 or whatever weight he was last year.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #133
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
If he wants to stay above 260 why not convert him to RDE, seriously hes not great in coverage and his strongest point is run defense and rushing the passer, and a lot of his big plays come with his hand in the dirt.
Because then he goes from 60-70 plays per game to 30
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #134
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
You think Elway is going to let Von Miller get away to the Cowboys?
I don't think it is totally out of the equation. I don't think Von was touchable before last year. If someone offered some real assets for him I think the front office would move him.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #135
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Pimp.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lucas Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I don't think it is totally out of the equation. I don't think Von was touchable before last year. If someone offered some real assets for him I think the front office would move him.
Given his documented love of partying and current position in the NFL drug program, I think if we got offered two #1s or better, Elway would be wise to pull the trigger.

Last edited by BowlenBall; 01-10-2014 at 10:16 PM..
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #136
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
By any measure (and ignoring all the games Miller missed this year), the 2013 season was a disaster compared to the 2012 season. The big difference was the extra weight that Miller put on.

For Miller at least more weight translated to worse play. Therefore, putting on the extra weight was a mistake.

My guess is that the coaches encouraged him to do this; therefore, I blame the coaches!
You should be banned! Any post anti-homer has to be reported!
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:58 AM   #137
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Because then he goes from 60-70 plays per game to 30
That's not true. Doom played almost 1000 snaps last year. So why would Von play 30, when Doom averaged close to 60?
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:14 AM   #138
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
Seriously? A disaster?
I should have said that this season ended disastrously. Which it did with a blown out knee.

Von Miller is a physical specimen, and even at a non-optimal weight this season he still put up good numbers. But his overall impact on the game was MUCH greater last year.

The biggest difference between the two years was his weight. And the photos above prove that he DID eat a lot of Cheetos and Krispy Kreme Donuts.
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:35 AM   #139
Sly_Eli
Seasoned Veteran

The Return

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lerentee McCray

Sly_Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #140
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Given his documented love of partying and current position in the NFL drug program, I think if we got offered two #1s or better, Elway would be wise to pull the trigger.
Yup, but I don't think anyone would make remotely such an offer. Von is now both damaged and tainted goods to a certain extent.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #141
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Von Miller is not going anywhere, nor should he.

He's hardly the only NFL player that likes a good time. He's extremely disruptive, and is one of the best defenders in the NFL.

IMO he's easily worth the suspension risk. It sucks he's out for the playoffs.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #142
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
That's not true. Doom played almost 1000 snaps last year. So why would Von play 30, when Doom averaged close to 60?
Because Rev says so. Well I'm not sure either why he couldn't play as much from DE as LB other than needing a few more breathers. The crazy thing about Von is his career has almost mirrored Merriman to this point.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #143
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Because even with depth issues at the position, only one player on our DL exceeded that 30-40 snap range?

Because Von wouldn't be accustomed to that kind of pounding per game?
Old 01-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #144
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Not to mention Miller moves around quite a bit. If he were the base DE I don't know that he would have the flexibility to line up in different places like he does.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #145
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Because even with depth issues at the position, only one player on our DL exceeded that 30-40 snap range?

Because Von wouldn't be accustomed to that kind of pounding per game?
Von plays plenty at the LOS against more "physical" right tackles. At least the perception is right tackles are more physical than left. And even of you suggest he lines up against TEs too, left tackles nowadays are just bigger TEs.

And that snap count is not correct, both Wolfe and Doom exceeded 900 snaps last year.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #146
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Von plays plenty at the LOS against more "physical" right tackles. At least the perception is right tackles are more physical than left. And even of you suggest he lines up against TEs too, left tackles nowadays are just bigger TEs.

And that snap count is not correct, both Wolfe and Doom exceeded 900 snaps last year.
1. He doesn't take a shot every play right now. That'll change at DE

2. You're the only one talking about 2012

3. This will never happen because it's hilariously stupid.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #147
HELLHAMMER
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Von was a disappointment. Despite how PFF has him rated, he didn't pass the eye test. He looked less explosive and more stiff, relying mainly on bull rushes. He appeared to be one dimensional most of the time, unlike last year when he had a full arsenal of pass rushing moves. In my opinion, as well as Del Rio's, the weight increase was a mistake.
HELLHAMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #148
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
1. He doesn't take a shot every play right now. That'll change at DE

2. You're the only one talking about 2012

3. This will never happen because it's hilariously stupid.
It may not happen, the only thing stupidly hilarious is you thinking that Von would play 30 snaps a game if he was moved to DE on a full time basis.

2012 was just last football season, this year we had a rotating wheel of players at DE. In 12 Doom was our full time DE and he played over 900 snaps, so that's the sample we can go off of when projecting how many snaps Von might play if he played DE full time. He's better verse the run than Doom, so it's not far fetched to think he could handle the same workload.

Though I do agree with you he will take more "shots" at DE, but he just took one playing OLB, so a player can get injured no matter where he lines up. And he was facing more physical RTs at SOLB, so I'm not buying he's at any more increase of injury. In fact I would argue rushing and playing from the Weakside may put him in less of harms way.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #149
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
It may not happen, the only thing stupidly hilarious is you thinking that Von would play 30 snaps a game if he was moved to DE on a full time basis.

2012 was just last football season, this year we had a rotating wheel of players at DE. In 12 Doom was our full time DE and he played over 900 snaps, so that's the sample we can go off of when projecting how many snaps Von might play if he played DE full time. He's better verse the run than Doom, so it's not far fetched to think he could handle the same workload.

Though I do agree with you he will take more "shots" at DE, but he just took one playing OLB, so a player can get injured no matter where he lines up. And he was facing more physical RTs at SOLB, so I'm not buying he's at any more increase of injury. In fact I would argue rushing and playing from the Weakside may put him in less of harms way.
I think its funny that price has abused you so badly, you just decided to become a ****ty poster fulltime
Old 01-12-2014, 08:00 AM   #150
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I think its funny that price has abused you so badly, you just decided to become a ****ty poster fulltime
I think it's funny that when someone has an opinion differing from yours, you turn into some kind of an Internet tough guy.

Sorry Rev, your opinion isn't always the gospel.

Since you have a crush on Price..Maybe the two of you can go on a date together.