The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #101
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Bump.

Obviously, there was a lot more happening with Von this year than just his weight. That being said, can anyone remember a time when a successful player has said, "I am going to (insert weight change here) this year to get better," and had it work out?

Does anyone have a comparison of the weight he was playing at last year, vs. the weight he was playing at when he got hurt this year?

Just doing some thinking, trying to kill the next seventy-two hours.
I thought there were articles stating he had been playing between 230-240 last year.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #102
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
dude! I thought this was the kind of math problem you Asians love to solve?
You're calling me Asian?

That is the pot carring the kettre brack!

DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #103
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
You're calling me Asian?

you poor bastard!
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #104
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
You're calling me Asian?

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 592
Size:  108.5 KB
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #105
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Von was lighting things up at his old weight. Then he "bulked up" and was not the same player by a long shot. Then, he blew out his knee.

I wonder if the coaches encouraged him to put on all that extra weight? If so, the move obviously backfired.

I remember when Tebow was drafted and McDumbDumb tried to get him to change his throwing motion. That didn't work either. Those clowns should have let Tim "Slow Release" Tebow and Von "Undersized" Miller just be themselves.

But coaches always know better, don't they?
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #106
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Von was lighting things up at his old weight. Then he "bulked up" and was not the same player by a long shot. Then, he blew out his knee.

I wonder if the coaches encouraged him to put on all that extra weight? If so, the move obviously backfired.

I remember when Tebow was drafted and McDumbDumb tried to get him to change his throwing motion. That didn't work either. Those clowns should have let Tim "Slow Release" Tebow and Von "Undersized" Miller just be themselves.

yeah, a espn analyst and an all pro have a lot in common. smart comp.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #107
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
You're calling me Asian?

BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #108
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think people are reading too much into this weight gain. Von said himself he felt like he was wearing down at the end of last season taking on all those big linemen at the smaller weight. We only saw him this season for what, 6 or 7 games. Guys get hurt all the time in this league, from string bean WR's to fat sloppy monsters. Weight has nothing to do with the injury. As for his play with the additional weight, I think the sample size is much too small. Who know's why he wasn't getting as many sacks. Could also have something to do with Doom not being on the other side as well as all the off the field problems. I think he should give it another year at that weight and see how it goes.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #109
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

I don't think the weight gain had anything to do with the injury.
He works out on staying limber and flexible. It was just a bad freak injury.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #110
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

What do you mean when you say Von should "be himself?" Why is 240 lbs "himself" and 260 isn't? Did he not lift weights to get to 240? Maybe 240 lbs is a more effective weight for him to play at, maybe it's not, but it's not like he was genetically predetermined to be 240 lbs, and anything else is a deviation from god's/nature's/elway's plan.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #111
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Von screwed his year up by getting busted. Now he has to rehab his ACL. I wouldn't count on him ever being like he was his rookie year again but maybe he can make it happen. Remember Mike Croel? This will be two very challenging seasons in a row for Von Miller. How he responds will define his career.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #112
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

It's scary (for him) to think how much money he will lose in the long run resulting from this suspension and injury if he doesn't totally rebound...
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #113
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

I wonder what Von's weight is up to since he has been injured and the new pot laws are in effect. If he smokes the good shiat and gets the munchies we will not need to look for an extra defensive tackle in the draft
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #114
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:

Dude, don't ever equate Von Miller to Tim ****ing Tebow. One is an elite NFL player, the other was only regarded as elite by blind followers.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #115
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Colo Supreme Court will soon decide if a company can fire you for smoking weed.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #116
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

I doubt that the Colo. S. Ct. will rule that Amendment 64 protects employees from such employer restrictions.

The Amendment specifically states:

“Nothing in this section is intended to require an employer to permit or accommodate the use, consumption, possession, transfer, display, transportation, sale, or growing of marijuana in the workplace, or to affect the ability of employers to have policies restricting the use of marijuana by employees.”

(emphasis added)

I'm not sure, but I think the Coats case, which is pending cert., involved medical marijuana (rather than recreational use.)
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #117
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
I doubt that the Colo. S. Ct. will rule that Amendment 64 protects employees from such employer restrictions.

The Amendment specifically states:

“Nothing in this section is intended to require an employer to permit or accommodate the use, consumption, possession, transfer, display, transportation, sale, or growing of marijuana in the workplace, or to affect the ability of employers to have policies restricting the use of marijuana by employees.”

(emphasis added)

I'm not sure, but I think the Coats case, which is pending cert., involved medical marijuana (rather than recreational use.)
Exactly, its like going to the Supreme Court because you can drink booze, because you know man its like totally legal now maaaaaan.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #118
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
yeah, a espn analyst and an all pro have a lot in common. smart comp.
Tebow may be an ESPN analyst, but as of today he has more playoff wins as a Broncos QB than does Peyton Manning.

Go back and watch some of the Tebow games right after McStalin was fired, when Eric Studesville was the interim head coach. Studesville just let Tebow play the game, and Tebow looked great.

Don't get me wrong - Manning is likely to lead Denver to the Promised Land this year, but until he wins at least one playoff game, Tim Tebow will have a better playoff record as a Denver starting QB.

EDIT:

And I wasn't comparing Tebow to Von Miller. I was comparing Josh "Stalin" McDumbDumb to John "Watch Me Go Full Turtle" Fox.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #119
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
What do you mean when you say Von should "be himself?" Why is 240 lbs "himself" and 260 isn't? Did he not lift weights to get to 240? Maybe 240 lbs is a more effective weight for him to play at, maybe it's not, but it's not like he was genetically predetermined to be 240 lbs, and anything else is a deviation from god's/nature's/elway's plan.
By any measure (and ignoring all the games Miller missed this year), the 2013 season was a disaster compared to the 2012 season. The big difference was the extra weight that Miller put on.

For Miller at least more weight translated to worse play. Therefore, putting on the extra weight was a mistake.

My guess is that the coaches encouraged him to do this; therefore, I blame the coaches!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:18 AM   #120
Sly_Eli
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lerentee McCray

I think everyone is ignoring the fact that a lot of the weight he put on wasn't healthy weight. He had a pretty noticeable gut sticking out this season that he didn't have in the past. I know he claimed that his body fat % actually went down, but I don't buy it. Certain guys play better at certain weights and for him I think that weight is somewhere around 250.

His added bulk helped him against the run but really hindered his pass rushing abilities. Anyone could see he wasn't as quick off the snap (besides a couple plays against the patriots) and struggled to get consistent pressure.

One of the things I remember from last offseason was him saying that the strength coach told him to stop doing yoga, that it wasn't worth it, that he just needed to lift more. Von's strength has always been his flexibility/bend around the corner. Have to wonder if the added weight/lack of yoga contributed to inflexibility and ineffectiveness or even to his ligament tear in his knee. Just a thought.
Sly_Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:27 AM   #121
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_Eli View Post
I think everyone is ignoring the fact that a lot of the weight he put on wasn't healthy weight. He had a pretty noticeable gut sticking out this season that he didn't have in the past. I know he claimed that his body fat % actually went down, but I don't buy it. Certain guys play better at certain weights and for him I think that weight is somewhere around 250.

His added bulk helped him against the run but really hindered his pass rushing abilities. Anyone could see he wasn't as quick off the snap (besides a couple plays against the patriots) and struggled to get consistent pressure.

One of the things I remember from last offseason was him saying that the strength coach told him to stop doing yoga, that it wasn't worth it, that he just needed to lift more. Von's strength has always been his flexibility/bend around the corner. Have to wonder if the added weight/lack of yoga contributed to inflexibility and ineffectiveness or even to his ligament tear in his knee. Just a thought.
I agree.

Most players wear down during the course of the season but that doesn't mean they all should start adding more weight.

And why the hell do we need Von to be better against the run? He was very good against the run playing at 250 and that's not what we need from him anyway. At this point Von needs to get back to what made him an explosive pass rusher and playing at 260+ isn't going to do it.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #122
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

Uh, I don't recall seeing Miller with a pot gut. You want to throw up pics from both years and when they were taken so we can see what you're suggesting?
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #123
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Quote:
If I remember correctly this was a suggestion that Von did not take.

Could be wrong, but I believe I read something about how flexibility and limberness were still large parts of his workout.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #124
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Colorado court rules marijuana smokers may be fired

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-...s-may-be-fired
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #125
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

I still don't get why people are dogging on Von for and claiming he wasn't beasting.

Dude was an animal still. Had what, 5/6 sacks, a couple forced fumbles and a TD playing solid run defense in his limited playing time of 8 games was it?

Look at Watt this year, he doesn't have the stat line but he's been a beast all year still.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote