The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #376
Bronco X
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I'm attracted to women, all sorts of women, that doesn't mean I try to have sex with every one I meet.
By making this argument, you see, you are inadvertently admitting that if you wanted, you can spring a woody for a dude by a simple act of choice. That is something a heterosexual man simply can't do.

Are you attracted to every woman you see? If there is a woman you are not attracted to, could you simply choose to be attracted to them?

This is a simple question of attraction. It is not a choice.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #377
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,115

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I think people are misunderstanding you, Tombstone. I want to help with the clarification. You are saying that the act, ITSELF, is a choice (which would be a true statement). How about those desires? Are the DESIRES of a man to sleep with a man, a choice? I think that's the heart of the issue...
I think so, yes. Your thought process is a choice too. Some people call it "lust", whatever it is, it occures at the heart level which is a choice IMHO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #378
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,788

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I'm attracted to cookies.





Do you have a problem sir?

Last edited by DivineLegion; 05-06-2013 at 12:30 PM..
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #379
DenverDynamite
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I disagree. Sexuality does not define who we are. It's a part of us, yes, but it is not "who we are." Our society has a massive problem with sex and the billion dollar a year porn industry is example A.
I was obviously speaking strictly in regards to a person's sexual orientation. No offense, but now you seem to be just skirting around the original discussion of choice verses hardwiring.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #380
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,975

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I'm attracted to cookies.
With me it's pie.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #381
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,115

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
By making this argument, you see, you are inadvertently admitting that if you wanted, you can spring a woody for a dude by a simple act of choice. That is something a heterosexual man simply can't do.

Are you attracted to every woman you see? If there is a woman you are not attracted to, could you simply choose to be attracted to them?

This is a simple question of attraction. It is not a choice.
Sexuality is about attraction, I agree. But it's also about controlling your desires so it's a heart issue too. Can I choose to be attracted to a woman who I'm not attracted too, I'd say yes. I say this because back in the day arranged marriages were much more common place than today. So a young couple who had to get married, even though they may not have intially been physically attracted to their spouse, did end up having a good marriage. As for flipping a switch to be homosexual, no, I could not do that. That being said, how do you explain bisexuality? Who does a bisexual really want? Bisexuality is example A of sexuality and sexual desires being a choice IMHO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #382
DenverDynamite
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Sexuality is about attraction, I agree. But it's also about controlling your desires so it's a heart issue too. Can I choose to be attracted to a woman who I'm not attracted too, I'd say yes. I say this because back in the day arranged marriages were much more common place than today. So a young couple who had to get married, even though they may not have intially been physically attracted to their spouse, did end up having a good marriage. As for flipping a switch to be homosexual, no, I could not do that. That being said, how do you explain bisexuality? Who does a bisexual really want? Bisexuality is example A of sexuality and sexual desires being a choice IMHO.
Chemical biology is not black and white, it is not always an either/or proposition. Bi-sexuality, like homosexuality or heterosexuality is determined by our brain chemistry. It has been suggested that ALL humans are to some extent bi-sexual varying by degrees. In other words we can all agree that say, Brad Pit looked attractive in TROY, but, that's not to say any of us want to have sex with him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #383
Bronco X
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Sexuality is about attraction, I agree. But it's also about controlling your desires so it's a heart issue too. Can I choose to be attracted to a woman who I'm not attracted too, I'd say yes. I say this because back in the day arranged marriages were much more common place than today. So a young couple who had to get married, even though they may not have intially been physically attracted to their spouse, did end up having a good marriage. As for flipping a switch to be homosexual, no, I could not do that. That being said, how do you explain bisexuality? Who does a bisexual really want? Bisexuality is example A of sexuality and sexual desires being a choice IMHO.
A bisexual person can choose which impulse of attraction to pursue. The attraction itself is still not a choice. People can grow into attraction, which explains arranged marriages, but to argue that means attraction is a choice is an over simplification. Can you choose to be sexuality attracted to a 90 year old? Incidentally bisexuals are the only ones who can make a choice between attraction to two sexes, so the choice argument you make implies everyone is bisexual.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #384
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,041

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Sexuality is about attraction, I agree. But it's also about controlling your desires so it's a heart issue too. Can I choose to be attracted to a woman who I'm not attracted too, I'd say yes. I say this because back in the day arranged marriages were much more common place than today. So a young couple who had to get married, even though they may not have intially been physically attracted to their spouse, did end up having a good marriage. As for flipping a switch to be homosexual, no, I could not do that. That being said, how do you explain bisexuality? Who does a bisexual really want? Bisexuality is example A of sexuality and sexual desires being a choice IMHO.
Controlling your desires doesn't change whether heterosexual or homosexual,it just means you're in the closet. Can a gay man not be attracted to one man but not attracted to another,yes. No one is flipping a switch,you can be attracted to both.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #385
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!
 
Drunk Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,139
Default

Same as some people are predisposed to cancer some people are attracted to the same sex.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #386
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,115

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
A bisexual person can choose which impulse of attraction to pursue. The attraction itself is still not a choice. People can grow into attraction, which explains arranged marriages, but to argue that means attraction is a choice is an over simplification. Can you choose to be sexuality attracted to a 90 year old? Incidentally bisexuals are the only ones who can make a choice between attraction to two sexes, so the choice argument you make implies everyone is bisexual.
Sounds like a contradiction to me and another way of justifying homosexual behavior. Now you are using an extreme situation to justify your argument ("can you be attracted to a 90 year old woman?"). If you disagree that it's a choice, fine. But please don't throw out some wild scenario to try and prove a point. As for the last part in bold, what I'm saying is that sexual relations and even sexual desires are a choice. I don't understand everyone's choices but that does not change the fact that it's still a choice.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #387
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,115

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Controlling your desires doesn't change whether heterosexual or homosexual,it just means you're in the closet. Can a gay man not be attracted to one man but not attracted to another,yes. No one is flipping a switch,you can be attracted to both.
I guess I disagree, are you speaking from experience?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #388
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,115

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Same as some people are predisposed to cancer some people are attracted to the same sex.
I disagree. No one chooses to have cancer, and cancer is a tangible/physical manifestation, a growth.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #389
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,041

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Sounds like a contradiction to me and another way of justifying homosexual behavior. Now you are using an extreme situation to justify your argument ("can you be attracted to a 90 year old woman?"). If you disagree that it's a choice, fine. But please don't throw out some wild scenario to try and prove a point. As for the last part in bold, what I'm saying is that sexual relations and even sexual desires are a choice. I don't understand everyone's choices but that does not change the fact that it's still a choice.
You're grasping at straws here. Homosexual behavior doesn't need to be justified no more than heterosexual behavior.
What person feels/desires isn't a choice.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #390
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,041

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I disagree. No one chooses to have cancer, and cancer is a tangible/physical manifestation, a growth.
No one chooses to be gay.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #391
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,041

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I guess I disagree, are you speaking from experience?
I know I didn't choose to be attracted to women.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #392
Bronco X
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Sounds like a contradiction to me and another way of justifying homosexual behavior. Now you are using an extreme situation to justify your argument ("can you be attracted to a 90 year old woman?"). If you disagree that it's a choice, fine. But please don't throw out some wild scenario to try and prove a point. As for the last part in bold, what I'm saying is that sexual relations and even sexual desires are a choice. I don't understand everyone's choices but that does not change the fact that it's still a choice.
The "extreme" example I used illustrates in the most obvious way possible the fallacy of attraction as a choice. I'd have a choice to use a more nuanced example if I was explaining this to a less obtuse counterpart (no offense).
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #393
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,115

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
You're grasping at straws here. Homosexual behavior doesn't need to be justified no more than heterosexual behavior.
What person feels/desires isn't a choice.
No I'm not, you just disagree with my opion. I very much think people can control their thoughts and desires, I guess I hold people in a higher regard than you.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #394
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,115

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
No one chooses to be gay.
how do you know?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #395
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,115

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
The "extreme" example I used illustrates in the most obvious way possible the fallacy of attraction as a choice. I'd have a choice to use a more nuanced example if I was explaining this to a less obtuse counterpart (no offense).
Nah, you are using an extreme example because you have nothing else, which is typical of someone who has already lost the argument. Now you are calling me names, which is another thing that people do when they lose an argument and is par for the course for the liberal agenda.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #396
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,041

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
how do you know?
Easy,I didn't choose to be attracted to women. I also been around gays for most of my adult life. All have said that they have known since they were children that they were gay.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #397
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,041

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Nah, you are using an extreme example because you have nothing else, which is typical of someone who has already lost the argument. Now you are calling me names, which is another thing that people do when they lose an argument and is par for the course for the liberal agenda.
You've been dodging & weaving for this entire topic,but now claim to have won it?.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #398
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,886

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
No I'm not, you just disagree with my opion. I very much think people can control their thoughts and desires, I guess I hold people in a higher regard than you.
So, youre saying a person's visceral reaction to something is a choice? That's absurd. Everytime you see a pretty girl, do you have some inner debate with yourself whether or not youre sexaully attracted to her or does your human nature guide the attraction?

We're animals. Animals hve instincts and a sex drive. We dont choose what we're attracted to, we just are.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #399
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
how do you know?
Did you choose to be straight? Do you remember when you made that choice?

And do you really believe that people would hold themselves up to be mocked and ridiculed, often by their own families, just because they want to?
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #400
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Easy,I didn't choose to be attracted to women. I also been around gays for most of my adult life. All have said that they have known since they were children that they were gay.
And I know quite a few(women) that chose it. They were attracted to men growing up then became attracted to women later in life.


Orgy porn must confuse the hell out of you.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 05-06-2013 at 01:30 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Denver Broncos