The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default A couple questions about Montee Ball

Does he remind anyone else of TD? Cuz I think he's kinda TD-esque.

Also, are you concerned about the number of carries/college workload he's had
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110861

Someone might agree.

Also Fox is quoted as saying he's not worried because it showed he could handle the load and they were looking at him as a 3 down back.
UberBroncoMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Agamemnon

Yes. He's a one-cut, cutback runner who fits a zone scheme perfectly. He's also unexceptional physically in terms of both size and speed, but has incredible vision and instincts just like TD. He also gets that extra yard or two no matter what like TD always used to. Now we just have to wait and see if he can be the type of pro player TD was.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Anikai
PUP List

Champ Bailey's Beard

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

does he have braces??
Anikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

did his father ever shoot at him?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Migraine headaches
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Yes, he had a lot of carries in college, but that doesn't guarantee a short career in the NFL. He had less carries in college than Ladanian Tomlinson.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #8
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

The quote by Elway I saw indicated that he drafted Ball over Lacy becasue of medical concerns. Lacy has been battling a turf toe injury for a year or so.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:24 AM   #9
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

The one thing that really sticks out to me in both their running styles is that they really can see their path so well that when they make their cuts they're usually doing so at close to full speed. They don't waste alot of movement and slow down. That's why TD had so many darn long runs (that and awesome blocking). He wasn't slow but he wasn't a burner either. He just did an excellent job of maintaining the speed he had going. He did that because he had such great feel and vision, he wasn't always forced to slow down because he's reacting to on coming players at the last moment. He saw just a little better then most and that gave him just that split second difference. When you know where you're going, you tend to run faster then when you're hesitant about where you're going. Both guys for decent sized backs run very light on their feet.

On a side note - when I youtube Terrell Davis highlights, what a travesty, that there is such a small amount of good quality footage. Somebody needs to get real here and give the man his props, and make something worth a damn to watch. He's a thousand times better then what's out there to watch on him.

Maybe we can get somebody here that has access to some quality video and make a real highlights reel for TD.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Does he remind anyone else of TD? Cuz I think he's kinda TD-esque.

Also, are you concerned about the number of carries/college workload he's had
Some dudes can just absorb a workload and not fall apart. He seems to be one of those guys. On the TD thought, the one cut and upfield style and great vision traits they both have
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
Drunken.Broncoholic

It's a different NFL today than in years past for RBs. Rarely is it a one man show on a team. Back in the day an RB could run over 30 times a game. In this passing league as well as a committee group effort they can last. It's the RBs that have continuous injury problems that aren't worth it. I think Ball is better than anything we got. One step closer to an SB.

If Ball runs those last 3 carries of the playoff game IMO he gets a 1st down they run out the clock and win that game.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post

On a side note - when I youtube Terrell Davis highlights, what a travesty, that there is such a small amount of good quality footage. Somebody needs to get real here and give the man his props, and make something worth a damn to watch. He's a thousand times better then what's out there to watch on him.

Maybe we can get somebody here that has access to some quality video and make a real highlights reel for TD.
B-love would be the best person in my opinion as he's got recordings of virtually every single Broncos game....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
It's a different NFL today than in years past for RBs. Rarely is it a one man show on a team. Back in the day an RB could run over 30 times a game. In this passing league as well as a committee group effort they can last. It's the RBs that have continuous injury problems that aren't worth it. I think Montee Ball is better than anything we got. One step closer to an SB.

If Montee Ball runs those last 3 carries of the playoff game IMO he gets a 1st down they run out the clock and win that game.
I think we should just call him Montee vs. Ball (until Lance is no longer a Broncos player) lest someone tries to use your post to suggest you think Lance Ball is all that and a bag of chips

Hopefully Montee will be the bell cow RB we've needed all these years, who plays most every snap on offense and plays thru pain and doesn't get injured.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
The quote by Elway I saw indicated that he drafted Ball over Lacy becasue of medical concerns. Lacy has been battling a turf toe injury for a year or so.
the ironic thing is TD was injured as a senior in college, which is why he was 6th round pick. add in that his college coach Goff allegedly didn't give out any film on him, and you can see where scouting a player in person can pay huge dividends.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #15
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I saw that. I was actually surprised they answered that question and did so specifically. Usually they say "both are good players. Looking at our board, we felt that was the best fit for our football team" or something similarly generic.

Fox doesn't look at RB's and their mileage the way other people do. If he sees someone with a lot of carries, he considers it a plus for a variety of reasons (more reps, durability, etc.) They drafted DeAngelo Williams in Carolina, and he also had a crap ton of carries. The difference, I suppose, is that Ball didn't miss games, whereas Williams never played a full season since his junior year of high school.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #16
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The carries don't worry me as much as the hits and since Ball didn't seem to miss games or be hurt much, one assumes he didn't take that many great hits. So I don't worry so much.

About TD. I can't find the play where I'm pretty sure it was against Miami, a playoff game the Broncos killed Marino and the Dolphins, where TD takes the handoff and is running up the middle and I believe a safety comes up, and TD, just takes such a sharp left after a juke move, the guy just falls over himself and TD goes in for the touchdown. Just an unbelievable move!
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran

Mhmugggggeeeee

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Look up college stats of top 10 nfl running backs. Ray rice had 910 carries in 3 years. Montee had 954 over 4 years. His workload is much less of an issue than is being talked about imo.

Also, look at guys like Foster and Lynch whove had a couple years now of NFL abuse. They only last 9-10 years anyways you may as well get a good one and worst case scrnario he lasts 7-8 years.

Last edited by Rother8; 04-28-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rother8 View Post
Look up college stats of top 10 nfl running backs. Ray rice had 910 carries in 3 years. Montee had 954 over 4 years. His workload is much less of an issue than is being talked about imo.

Also, look at guys like Foster and Lynch whove had a couple years now of NFL abuse. They only last 9-10 years anyways you may as well get a good one and worst case scrnario he lasts 7-8 years.
I remember a story about Jeff Fisher telling a RB he drafted. "I am drafting your replacement in 4 years" I say you get the full term of a rookie contract out of a back and unless he is Adrian Peterson you draft a replacement.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #19
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I don't know about comparison to TD, and I only saw Montee a few times in college, but I could tell he has the goods. He's the kind of guy you need, vision, anticipation, power, balance, quick moves. He's an all-around solid back that knows how to follow and use his blockers, use his blockers to set up his broken field moves, seems like he's thinking ahead a few steps. Like he has in his head all the players in a ten yd circle, anticipating where he'll be and where they'll be after a couple more steps so he can make his next move. He's a polished back, and as has been pointed out is not a fumbler.

Now I've gushed all over him I hope he doesn't come in and look like a bum, but I doubt he will. He really does look like a can't miss kind of guy.

On some radio interviews he was asked about his pass protection, which of course is a huge deal in this offense. He said he's good at it and realizes how important it is, said "it's one of the easiest ways to keep your job." So I have high hopes for this guy as a 3-down back.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #20
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Hope we let him be Montee Ball.
Heyneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #21
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

He looks pretty durable and rarely fumbles. Two big plusses right there.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

A team source tells the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the Steelers "wouldn't touch" new Packers RB Eddie Lacy because his big toe "had been fused."
The Steelers were viewed as an ideal landing spot for Lacy because of their need at running back, but he apparently wasn't even a consideration. Two days removed from his surprising slide, we're starting to get a pretty good idea of why Lacy fell. His attitude turned teams off, but his 2012 toe/foot operation turned out to be a bigger concern than the draft community ever realized.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Lacy's drop due to

Quote:
...poor work habits, lack of speed, durability concerns, a limited body of work and running style...
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...litz-1291.html
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Some dudes can just absorb a workload and not fall apart. He seems to be one of those guys. On the TD thought, the one cut and upfield style and great vision traits they both have
I totally love the pick, and I think he does remind me of TD. I just hope he can make an impact on ST's like TD did and prove he deserves to earn the job!

I also think younger guys bounce back quicker and his work load is a non issue. It is not like he just spent 4 years in the pro's this is college sports we are talking about and these guys have worked hard from pop warner on to get to this level.

Plus he doesn't seem to have a big injury list (knock on wood) like other RB's entering the NFL *** cough cough the kid kFc drafted who missed a whole year cough cough ***
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #25
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
A team source tells the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the Steelers "wouldn't touch" new Packers RB Eddie Lacy because his big toe "had been fused."
The Steelers were viewed as an ideal landing spot for Lacy because of their need at running back, but he apparently wasn't even a consideration. Two days removed from his surprising slide, we're starting to get a pretty good idea of why Lacy fell. His attitude turned teams off, but his 2012 toe/foot operation turned out to be a bigger concern than the draft community ever realized.
ok, if the Steelers won't touch you that says something.
heck even the Bengals and Raiders passed over him.
if his toe issue doesn't crop up in the future it's still a severe gaffe by several teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post

hmm, interesting, you would think playing RB under Saban would ensure he was constantly motivated and had a proper attitude.
guess not.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote