The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Broncos Sixth Round Pick 2013: Vinston Painter

Vinston Painter, OT, Virginia Tech
6'4", 306, 4.90 forty, 32 Bench, 4.56 Shuttle, 7.71 Cone

LATEST NEWS
03/28/2013 - 2013 Virginia Tech Pro Day: Representatives from 26 NFL teams gathered at Virginia Tech's pro day on March 20, where 13 Hokies players went through a workout indoors on AstroTurf. AstroTurf, it should be noted, is a faster surface than natural grass or even FieldTurf. Vinston Painter, OT (6-4 3/4, 301) - Painter stood on all of his numbers from the combine and did positional drills only. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com
More Vinston Painter News
OVERVIEW
Painter didn't take up football until his freshman year of high school, so he admittedly arrived at Virginia Tech as a fairly raw football player. He moved around both sides of the ball, seeing time at left tackle and defensive tackle before returning to the offensive side of the ball, playing some right guard and finally settling in as the starting right tackle as a senior.
"Bouncing around like that from position to position slowed by development a little bit, and at times during my career I didn?t progress as fast as I would have liked," Painter said at the Combine. "But if definitely made me the player that I am today, and I wouldn?t really change it."

That versatility will help him in the eyes of NFL scouts. A virtual unknown prospect entering the 2012 season, Painter played well enough to score an invite to the combine despite not playing in a single postseason all-star game.

"I was scheduled to play in the Texas versus the Nation game, but me and my agent and my trainer sat down, talked about it and when I got my invite to the combine, we decided to pull out of the all-star game in fear of the risk of getting hurt," Painter said. "We didn?t really want to take that chance of not being able to perform as well as I want to at the combine."

A late bloomer, Painter said he didn't play football until high school because he was always too big for his age group as a youth. But he was a four-star prospect who received numerous scholarship offers. The constant moving at Virginia Tech kept Painter under the radar, but he's trying to capitalize on his new-found attention.

"I feel like people were surprised, you know, basically coming from a guy who had taken very little snaps as I have, coming into a season being the starter," he said. "Basically going from a bench-rider to a starter that fast, you?d think the jitters and things would cause you not to perform as well, but I look forward to pressure situations like that. I feel as though I displayed my abilities to the best that I could, and people took notice.
(CBS)

Last edited by Rohirrim; 04-27-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

What's the word Garcia?
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Article on Painter: http://articles.dailypress.com/2013-...pring-practice

Given how his career started and progressed for four years at Tech, Painter's rise up the draft board is surprising. After coming to Tech in 2008 considered by many recruiting analysts to be either one of the nation's top five offensive guard prospects or top 25 offensive tackles, Painter opened his career as a Hokie at defensive tackle.

He was moved to right guard during spring practice in '09, and then shifted to right tackle during spring practice a year later. A dislocated left knee that caused him to miss a portion of spring practice and the spring game in '10 didn't help his maturation as a player.

Though he played just 91 offensive snaps in his first three seasons combined, Painter still had a reputation for being perhaps the strongest player on the team. He finally got his chance to start last season when Tech had a vacancy at right tackle after the departure of four-year starter Blake DeChristopher.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I like the kid OC, but I don't know if he makes the roster based on the talent we have. He's good, might develop in to a solid rotational backup.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

some of these guys are headed to the practice squad.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Hell of an athlete, just raw. I like the pick. He has top-OT measurables.
Inkana7 is online now   Reply With Quote