The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #201
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Keep in mind that all sparkler fans talk crap on all players that leaves their team for a better opportunity to actually win somewhere else.
All's you here from them is,
VJack sucks now
Rodney Harrison sucked
LT sucked
Wes Welker sucks
Drew Brees sucks
Micheal Turner sucked
Darren Sproles sucks
Eli Manning su...

Well, you get the picture.
Don't forget Louis Vasquez who apparently also sucks and wasn't needed. Why would you need your best O-lineman?
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #202
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Don't forget Louis Vasquez who apparently also sucks and wasn't needed. Why would you need your best O-lineman?
Word has it he doesn't burn well.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #203
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Keep in mind that all sparkler fans talk crap on all players that leaves their team for a better opportunity to actually win somewhere else.
All's you here from them is,
VJack sucks now
Rodney Harrison sucked
LT sucked
Wes Welker sucks
Drew Brees sucks
Micheal Turner sucked
Darren Sproles sucks
Eli Manning su...

Well, you get the picture.
SMH!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #204
BroncosfanGuy

opening night was pretty decent
Phillips: 2.5 sacks & a FF
Dumervil: 1 sack and a sad face

gonna be interesting when we get Von back
Old 09-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #205
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
Phillips: 2.5 sacks & a FF
Phillips played fine but I'm going to temper the enthusiasm at least a little bit because he did much of his damage against a backup RT after Oher went out. I'm not saying this to be a Debbie Downer, just pointing out the reality of the situation.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #206
BoiseBluTurf
Pro Bowler

just my opinion... but... and I know this is blasphemy with some on this site... I feel Phillips is a more complete player! No way Elvis (who i will miss) makes covers the back that well down field. If you are going to "temper" your enthusiasm to wait and see... I get that... but, how are you going to measure? Sacks to sacks? Phillips will give you a more complete game... the comparison will be a little tougher because its not necessarily apples to apples.
BoiseBluTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #207
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBluTurf View Post
If you are going to "temper" your enthusiasm to wait and see... I get that... but, how are you going to measure? Sacks to sacks?
No, not measuring him up against Doom or anything like that. I just know a lot of people are thinking our pass rush is fine without Doom and Von, and I don't know that that's true. Our pressure was inconsistent last night and much of it had to be generated by singling up in coverage to get it, and some of it came at the expense of a backup RT. Again, I'm thrilled with the result last night but there are some circumstances that need to be considered in an unbiased evaluation of the whole thing.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #208
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
No, not measuring him up against Doom or anything like that. I just know a lot of people are thinking our pass rush is fine without Doom and Von, and I don't know that that's true.
I agree with this. the pass rush was suspect and worrisome the 1st half. I don't suspect it will be an elite unit until Von gets back. But Phillips looked good rushing the passer and he was active against the run last night.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #209
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
I agree with this. the pass rush was suspect and worrisome the 1st half. I don't suspect it will be an elite unit until Von gets back. But Phillips looked good rushing the passer and he was active against the run last night.
We didn't get great pressure in the first half, that's true, but we also didn't bring a lot of extras until the second half. When we did, they moved Flacco off the mark and had him making some really desperate throws.

"Elite."
Old 09-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #210
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
We didn't get great pressure in the first half, that's true, but we also didn't bring a lot of extras until the second half. When we did, they moved Flacco off the mark and had him making some really desperate throws.

"Elite."
you don't think Miller is an elite pass rusher? or you don't think the addition of Miller gives Denver an elite pass rush?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #211
BoiseBluTurf
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No, not measuring him up against Doom or anything like that. I just know a lot of people are thinking our pass rush is fine without Doom and Von, and I don't know that that's true. Our pressure was inconsistent last night and much of it had to be generated by singling up in coverage to get it, and some of it came at the expense of a backup RT. Again, I'm thrilled with the result last night but there are some circumstances that need to be considered in an unbiased evaluation of the whole thing.
all the above is fair... Losing Von for 6 games will be the toughest part of that equation... once you get him back it will open up lanes for Phillips and everyone else on the line... Von is one of the best defenders in the league... can't lose him and not see some drop off. While he is out... the key will be getting out to a two score lead.

Replacing Elvis with a more complete player is a good thing! It happened out of necessity... none the less... it should turn out to be a positive.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #212
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
all the above is fair... Losing Von for 6 games will be the toughest part of that equation... once you get him back it will open up lanes for Phillips and everyone else on the line... Von is one of the best defenders in the league... can't lose him and not see some drop off. While he is out... the key will be getting out to a two score lead.

Replacing Elvis with a more complete player is a good thing! It happened out of necessity... none the less... it should turn out to be a positive.
I can't wait for Von to get his ass back in there disrupting offenses. Everyone benefits when Von is on the field. Von opens sack doors for everyone else.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #213
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:

And a reminder.......we would've paid Doom $8 million this year......and we're only paying Philips $1 million.

55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #214
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
you don't think Miller is an elite pass rusher? or you don't think the addition of Miller gives Denver an elite pass rush?
How about he doesn't think Flacco is considered an ELITE QB? Follow along son.

Also, Phillips was against Oher's rookie backup. So far, so good but I want to see more and a great test in NY next week. Much easier when Von gets back.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #215
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
ok that makes sense
Old 09-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #216
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Phillips played fine but I'm going to temper the enthusiasm at least a little bit because he did much of his damage against a backup RT after Oher went out. I'm not saying this to be a Debbie Downer, just pointing out the reality of the situation.
The vast majority of pass rushers do most of their damage against the lesser Offensive lineman of the league.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #217
BoiseBluTurf
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
The vast majority of pass rushers do most of their damage against the lesser Offensive lineman of the league.
Elvis included
Old 09-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #218
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler

I thought Phillips played well. He may not be as explosive as Dumervil, but at least he seemed to play every down and make some plays. Dumervil had a tendency to go invisible for long periods of the game, hopefully Phillips is an improvement on that aspect.
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #219
Bahshay
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post

Also, Phillips was against Oher's rookie backup. So far, so good but I want to see more and a great test in NY next week. Much easier when Von gets back.
Look at the schedule before Von returns. He's not going to face any upper echelon RTs. If this was an indication of what he can do against average RTs, he should more than hold his own until Von returns.

Next week is probably a better test, but it's still a rookie.
Bahshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #220
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
What?

My remark was aimed at Flacco, who claimed to be elite this off season.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #221
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
What?

My remark was aimed at Flacco, who claimed to be elite this off season.
yeah, Broncocalijohn set me straight. I misread your post. carry on
Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #222
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Not to interrupt the early masturbation, but Phillips was playing in Von's spot which is schemed for the best matchups. Ayers was filling in for Elvis last night on base and pass downs.

Regardless, Phillips looks like an A+ addition right now.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #223
FISH
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's what Phillips didn't do that made me happy....he didn't line up off sides! Love Elvis and all....but holy crap that was annoying....and sure enough...he did it again last night only this time it didn't cost us 5
FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #224
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Agree that the rush was pretty non existant until Oher went out....
so there is still a question mark. Pressure did step up after that, but also Del Rio made some line adjustments.

But Phillips did get the 2.5 when Flacco couldn't step up in the pocket. The CENTER of our line pushed the Bmore line back and that was a big reason for the 4 sacks we did get, and also the reason there was no running room for the ratbirds. Overall we got a lot more pressure on Flacco than last January. We aren't going to set the world on fire in sacks before Von gets back but we will hold our own. Thanks to having a stout interior.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #225
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
Agree that the rush was pretty non existant until Oher went out....
so there is still a question mark. Pressure did step up after that, but also Del Rio made some line adjustments.

But Phillips did get the 2.5 when Flacco couldn't step up in the pocket. The CENTER of our line pushed the Bmore line back and that was a big reason for the 4 sacks we did get, and also the reason there was no running room for the ratbirds. Overall we got a lot more pressure on Flacco than last January. We aren't going to set the world on fire in sacks before Von gets back but we will hold our own. Thanks to having a stout interior.
Excellent point. Our interior rush was solid and flushed the pocket well. On Ayers' long sack he was washed out of the play but the interior flushed Flacco back and back right into Ayers' arms.

That being said, the true heroes of our pass rush was still our coverage. Nearly all of our sacks were coverage sacks.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote