The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson
Default Your Kayvon Webster....

Quote:

South Florida cornerback Kayvon Webster has such high-regard for Champ Bailey's press coverage skills he will often proclaim “Champ has arrived at practice,” when he's asked to jam a receiver at the line. Renowned for his physical prowess and ability to press receivers, Webster is one of the most intense, aggressive corners in the Big East.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=CB

Thats a lot of confidence. I like that and now he gets to learn he's press skills from the source.

Last edited by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun; 04-26-2013 at 11:54 PM..
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

He honestly reminds me way more of a Safety than a CB. His career highlights basically boast his physicality and tackling skills rather than coverage. Not even a FS at that. Definitely a SS type.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
He honestly reminds me way more of a Safety than a CB. His career highlights basically boast his physicality and tackling skills rather than coverage. Not even a FS at that. Definitely a SS type.
I've seen a QB become a punt protector.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Well, he definitely looks like he can come right in and replace Lance Ball's ST plays. Bye bye Lance.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
Could he be our match up safety against TEs?
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Elway 4 Life
Pass rushers apply here!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Deadly on the QB blitz. I trust the FO even though i wasnt happy with the pick. Video helps a bit.
Elway 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Oh I like that idea. Sure is a need for the Broncos.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Well, everyone here likes to say they have complete trust in Elway, and that Fox & JDR know their way around defensive players, soooo.......I think I'll wait and see what the kid shows on the field before I pass judgment.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Not against big tight ends, he isn't big enough. From all reports he struggles when the ball is in the air, not what you want out of any safety.

He can take Danny whateverdola out of the game at the line though. I however feel our run stopping will be great this year.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

WOW! at 1:46 mark he actually caught the deep pass instead of misjudging it and letting the WR score!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
Denver724
Ring of Famer

From ESPN.

• What he brings: Webster has ideal size and flashes an above-average skill set in man coverage. He has quick feet, transitions well out of cuts and has a noticeable closing burst on tape. In addition, he is one of the better run defenders in this cornerback class. Williams' only knock is lack of elite instincts, but he brings good value at this point with the ability to play outside as well as bump inside at the nickelback position.

How he fits: Champ Bailey is near the end of a Hall of Fame career, but the Broncos did bring in Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in free agency, which will likely move Chris Harris to the nickel spot. The need to add youth and depth, though, to upgrade the secondary in their aggressive man-to-man packages. Webster has a chance to develop for a year, and if he is good enough he could eventually move into either starting slot, because the Broncos will likely need two corners in the near future.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #12
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I don't agree because he's one of the fastest DB's in the draft.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Hopefully he does well early enough so we can trade Tony Carter for good value.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Looks like the kind of CB you want in man coverage out wide to me. Strong press skills, top end speed, won't get pushed around for a jump ball. He's got to grow more technically, but the basics are all there. Its a lottery selection pick where if they hit they hit big, worth it in the third if you ask me. We've got enough nickel/dime types on the roster already, betting on greatness here is a risk we can afford.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Looks like the kind of CB you want in man coverage out wide to me. Strong press skills, top end speed, won't get pushed around for a jump ball. He's got to grow more technically, but the basics are all there. Its a lottery selection pick where if they hit they hit big, worth it in the third if you ask me. We've got enough nickel/dime types on the roster already, betting on greatness here is a risk we can afford.
Guy definitely is physical and love that he has those press skills and isn't afraid to come up and tackle and also bump the receiver.

Agree that it is a lottery selection where given the time to grow, he could become a starting CB for us if DRC doesn't work out or when Champ retires/moves to safety. I think Harris is best left as the nickel corner and is a damn good one at that.

In a couple years who knows Maybe Boldin and Webster end up our starters with Harris in the nickel

Any player in the 3rd round or beyond are really the types that need a couple years of coaching to find out if we hit on a gem. First two rounds you get those guys that are long term starters and it looks like we did that if Williams and Ball pan out. From here on out we get players to develop.

Edit: Also with this pick I know people were worried about carrying 6 CBs, but his special teams play may make Ball expendable. I have a feeling McGahee or Moreno are getting cut and we roll with Montee, Hillman, and either Moreno or McGahee - whoever survives.

Last edited by Harvitz81; 04-27-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Harvitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
From ESPN.

• What he brings: Webster has ideal size and flashes an above-average skill set in man coverage. He has quick feet, transitions well out of cuts and has a noticeable closing burst on tape. In addition, he is one of the better run defenders in this cornerback class. Williams' only knock is lack of elite instincts, but he brings good value at this point with the ability to play outside as well as bump inside at the nickelback position.

How he fits: Champ Bailey is near the end of a Hall of Fame career, but the Broncos did bring in Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in free agency, which will likely move Chris Harris to the nickel spot. The need to add youth and depth, though, to upgrade the secondary in their aggressive man-to-man packages. Webster has a chance to develop for a year, and if he is good enough he could eventually move into either starting slot, because the Broncos will likely need two corners in the near future.
Then why is he getting UDFA grades on some of these scouting reports?
The write ups on this guy are all over the place, many contradicting one another
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
Denver724
Ring of Famer

From Dane Brugler's Draft Guide.

26. KAYVON WEBSTER | South Florida 5104|195 lbs|4SR Opa Locka, FL (Miami Monsignor HS) 2/1/1990 (age 23) #6

2012: (12/11) 82/4.0/6/0 PROJECTION: 5th-6th Round
2011: (11/11) 49/1.0/9/2 MEASUREABLES: 5104 | 195 | 32 1-2” | 8 1-2" | 76 1-4”
2010: (13/4) 29/1.0/0/0 COMBINE: 4.41 40-YD DASH | 1.53 10-YD | 14 REPS | 35” V | 10-5 BJ
2009: (13/6) 30/2.5/3/2

STRENGTHS: Balanced athlete with ideal top-end speed for the position…quick in his backpedal with smooth footwork, appearing natural in his transition…accelerates in a flash to click and close…smooth hips to easily redirect his momentum…good awareness to make accurate reads and come off his man to make a play…aggressive vs. the run and a willing, disciplined tackler (led team in tackles in 2012)…physical in coverage with a hard-nosed, confident attitude…active blitzer off the corner.
WEAKNESSES: Will get hung up on blocks and needs to develop his strength to quickly disengage…needs to improve his feel and instincts, especially when his back is turned to the LOS…eyes get caught in the backfield, which leads to false steps and tied up footwork…too hands-on downfield and needs to improve his discipline and cover technique…doesn’t always trust what he sees, causing him to be hesitant and a step late…streaky ballskills and needs to get his hands on the ball, finish INTs.
SUMMARY: Saw immediate action as a true freshman and started at least four games in each of his four seasons at USF, including the past two as the full-time starter at CB…natural in space with the footwork and hips to turn and hang with WRs downfield…seems to guess a lot in coverage, leaving concerns about his instincts…grabs too much and will attract penalties, but is confident and coachable with the physical traits to fight for playing time early in his NFL career if he continues to develop.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #18
MileHighMagic
Ho-Slayer

SAUCED

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dave Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
From ESPN.

No way DRC is better than Harris.
MileHighMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #19
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Oh I like that idea. Sure is a need for the Broncos.
I love the obvious fact that this kid is not a limp-wristed corner whose is afraid to get his jersey dirty, but rather Kevyon loves to hit hard and is a sure tackler... no pussies on this team! Plus with his press coverage too and raw speed he has a lot of tools to develop into a solid starting corner, especially with his idol and mentors personal day to day help and quidance ... or possibly a stud safety at some point as well.

Seems to be another durable pick as are Sly and Montee and is yet another long time Bronco fan naturally like Ball has been. That really helps .. motivation wont be an issue.

Kevyon is going to jump through hoops to impress Champ and make him proud.

One theme I see this FO taking the last couple years is to also include character, demeanor and work ethic as well as how well these guys will mess with the personality of our team as a big focus of their vetting process. That only makes it easier and more reliable for building a cohesive team across the board where its all for one and one for all and less chance for premadonna's to spoil the party.

Last edited by Hulamau; 04-27-2013 at 09:05 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
Bmore Manning

We also took a look at B.W. Webb and Will Davis.. We passed on them for Webster.. This player must have really good upside and be a system fit.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #21
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The more I learn about Webster, the more I like this pick in the 3rd. The kid has an amazing burst to the QB in the blitz .. can see him and Von coming at em from opposite sides on designed blitzes to good effect.

His supposed weak points are all easily correctable/coachable with the kind of instruction and attention he will get with the Broncos staff and will Champ taking him under his wing.

Just the kind of guy you want to get in the 3rd to 4th round .. a real potential starter that just needs a little seasoning and coaching up to become a solid NFL starter. Its very hard to teach speed and quickness and nearly as hard to teach 'want to' being an aggressive confident tackler .. he has all that already.

Last edited by Hulamau; 04-27-2013 at 09:14 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #22
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
We also took a look at B.W. Webb and Will Davis.. We passed on them for Webster.. This player must have really good upside and be a system fit.
That's what it seems happened. They did their homework and got the guy they wanted among the corners left regardless of name recognition, thankfully.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #23
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
That's what it seems happened. They did their homework and got the guy they wanted among the corners left regardless of name recognition, thankfully.
The meltdowns are epic!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #24
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

They panicked and blew it. No other way of putting it. They talked about how badly they needed a corner. He wasn't the BPA. No ****ing way.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #25
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
They panicked and blew it. No other way of putting it. They talked about how badly they needed a corner. He wasn't the BPA. No ****ing way.
We passed on Webb and Davis, who we looked at in person..

Bro, we are draft junkies, but they have scouts at games, interviews, tape.. All things we don't have access to!

You just have to believe! Don't stop believing!