The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 06:09 AM   #26
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Pimp.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lucas Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Weren't we just complaining about having a BIG DB that can cover man and the TE? (hmmmmm)

woke up liking this pick more and more albeit I know nothing about the guy other than highlights and measurables.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #27
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
this draft got hit back mack truck and completely questions this staff's ability after what good they've done to this point. The blatent desperation and lack of value and understanding of need reckons back to Josh McD's douche years.

D- (at best)
Dafuq?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #28
Lycan
Omelette Dreamer

I like Kayvon Webster as a player, I just think we reached quite a bit. Maybe the NFL community liked him more than the mock drafting community?
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #29
Bmore Manning

I would have preferred Melvin White in the 7th round..
Old 04-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #30
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
Reminds me of the Paul Toviessi pick.
why? Toviessi had a serious and chronic knee injury, this is why no other team wanted him.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #31
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post

I am leaning quite heavily on Elway and co. that they made a good pick...... safe to say based on past years I feel pretty safe.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #32
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
Plays the edge aggressively and loves to tackle...reminds me of champ in that he isn't afraid to go low on a big back or attack an inside run play from the edge. He should be perfect anticipating screens, run plays to the edge, and slant coverage. His coverage skills are decent but still needs a lot of work to be an nfl corner. This is my limited opinion. He went through 3 diff defensive coordinators at USF and continually improved his game. He know how to play zone well, but not ready man coverage with for nfl caliber WRs.
Exactly.

Skills are skills, he's a small school guy, so he's going to get overlooked.

Remember, these draft gurus are the same people who thought Matt Leinert was a can't miss NFL star QB
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #33
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

What round was Harris drafted in again, anyone remember? How about Tony Carter? Both those guys are playing for the Broncos, Harris has been very effective. Neither one was drafted.

So, what does this tell you about scouting again? Oh yah, it's nothing more than an educated guess and even long time scouts are wrong on players. Sure, this may end up being a bad pick, but can't you say that about every pick?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #34
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I don't mind the pick that much, but I see it as a big gamble. Obviously, I'm hoping the Broncos have reached down and struck gold, digging out the next Asante Samuel. Personally, given that choice, I would have gone in and scooped up Jesse Williams 100 times out of 100. He's about as clear and blatantly obvious of a BPA as I've ever seen. Since he's still on the board, these league FOs must know something nobody else knows. I think John Simon, Chase Thomas or AJ Klein would have been much better picks at that spot and had much more of an impact down the road. Only time will tell.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #35
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I don't mind the pick that much, but I see it as a big gamble. Obviously, I'm hoping the Broncos have reached down and struck gold, digging out the next Asante Samuel. Personally, given that choice, I would have gone in and scooped up Jesse Williams 100 times out of 100. He's about as clear and blatantly obvious of a BPA as I've ever seen. Since he's still on the board, these league FOs must know something nobody else knows. I think John Simon, Chase Thomas or AJ Klein would have been much better picks at that spot and had much more of an impact down the road. Only time will tell.
I read yesterday that many teams have taken Williams off their boards due to medical. There is a reason why he has yet to be taken.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #36
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
I read yesterday that many teams have taken Williams off their boards due to medical. There is a reason why he has yet to be taken.
It's got to be something. The guy has dropped like a stone.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #37
uplink
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Webster actually looks bigger on tape than what his measureables say. I think he could move to FS if it was needed. I'm ok with the pick, especially with the need for more CB's against the good passing teams.
Yeah, maybe hell move to safety. Looks like pat. peterson in terms of body build.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #38
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

ESPN Scouts Inc. analysis:

What he brings: Webster has ideal size and flashes an above-average skill set in man coverage. He has quick feet, transitions well out of cuts and has a noticeable closing burst on tape. In addition, he is one of the better run defenders in this cornerback class. Williams' only knock is lack of elite instincts, but he brings good value at this point with the ability to play outside as well as bump inside at the nickelback position.

How he fits: Champ Bailey is near the end of a Hall of Fame career, but the Broncos did bring in Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in free agency, which will likely move Chris Harris to the nickel spot. The need to add youth and depth, though, to upgrade the secondary in their aggressive man-to-man packages. Webster has a chance to develop for a year, and if he is good enough he could eventually move into either starting slot, because the Broncos will likely need two corners in the near future.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #39
Aftermath
Creep

Broncos | Flyers | Tigers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Huge reach. He could be okay but you can't deny that he was taken wayyyyyyy to early.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #40
comoose00

This is screaming safety to me. He is five pounds lighter then Adams but faster, likes to hit and as long as he is not a complete failure in coverage, he should be a huge upgrade.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #41
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp247 View Post
From his positives and negatives I read, it looks like he simply needs to get coached up on how to be corner. If he has the basic athletic ability they seem to imply, I don't see how Champ watching over him will not yield very positive results. Even worst case scenario, and this guy is a Roc Alexander, screw it. Elway has led this franchise from 4-12 to 13-3 in two years. One bad draft pick in the 3rd round really isn't something to be mad about. From what I've seen on Williams and Ball are that they are incredibly high quality picks. I trust John.
Actually, I see him moving to safety.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #42
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoose00 View Post
This is screaming safety to me. He is five pounds lighter then Adams but faster, likes to hit and as long as he is not a complete failure in coverage, he should be a huge upgrade.

This is what I thought of as well last night when I watched a few of his vids
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #43
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoose00 View Post
He certainly looks like a safety to me.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #44
KillerBronco#76
Perennial Pro-bowler

"The Beast" From the east

I have watched a lot of usf football and am familiar with Webster. He is an extremely hard worker and competitor. he takes it personal if he does not finish first in any drill in practice and does not get frustrated if he does not. He keeps a steady mind will work to improve that drill until he does finish first... and he does finish first, he makes sure of it. This work ethic and mental maturity mixed with a lot of natural athletic ability and excellent reaction time points to why we made this pick. A blue collar , no fear attitude, this will fit right in with what Fox & Rio are trying implement on our defense.

P.S. He is not a safety and this would be a waste of his talents and C.O.D. skills. Is incredibly agile, it is difficult to see with USF playing so much zone as has been previously mentioned. He is quicker than you think...

Last edited by KillerBronco#76; 04-28-2013 at 01:54 AM..
KillerBronco#76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:26 AM   #45
pricejj
jungle

^Exactly what I've been saying. Webster is one of the best athletes in the entire draft. Just naturally fluid change of direction, comes in and out of cuts like a spring. Watch his combine, unreal athletic ability. Perfect for CB.

He just needs man-to-man coaching skills, which he's probably never had in his life. I think he's going to be real good.

I expect Kayvon Webster to take-over Dime CB duties by the end of pre-season, and back-up Champ. Bolden will back-up DRC. Tony Carter? Who cares.

Last edited by pricejj; 04-28-2013 at 02:30 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:14 AM   #46
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBronco#76 View Post
P.S. He is not a safety and this would be a waste of his talents and C.O.D. skills. Is incredibly agile, it is difficult to see with USF playing so much zone as has been previously mentioned. He is quicker than you think...
Speed and agility are not wasted at safety. Far from it.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #47
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp247 View Post
From his positives and negatives I read, it looks like he simply needs to get coached up on how to be corner. If he has the basic athletic ability they seem to imply, I don't see how Champ watching over him will not yield very positive results. Even worst case scenario, and this guy is a Roc Alexander, screw it. Elway has led this franchise from 4-12 to 13-3 in two years. One bad draft pick in the 3rd round really isn't something to be mad about. From what I've seen on Williams and Ball are that they are incredibly high quality picks. I trust John.
Exactly....I mean it's not like he'll be compared to Maurice Clarett.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #48
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

I think JDR will free lance him. Covering a TE at times, run support at times, blitzer at times.

He kinda reminds me of Steve Atwater.

My guess is this is a JDR pick all the way.

I think he and Bell will be the darlings of training camp. He will have an impact as a situational player this season.

Last edited by baja; 04-28-2013 at 10:13 AM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #49
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I think JDR will free lance him. Covering a TE at times, run support at times, blitzer at times.

He kinda reminds me of Steve Atwater.

My guess is this is a JDR pick all the way.
I'm sure Fox had a hand in it considering his background as a collegiate defensive back and his history as a DBs coach. either way, I think the guys who made the pick know what they are looking for in a defensive back. i agree that Webster is a guy who can be moved around. he looks like he can be a good big nickle player
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #50
uplink
Ring of Famer

maybe the broncos can trade T. Carter for something if the young CBs work out in camp.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote