The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #251
delany
Uber Bronco
 
delany's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Exactly. I don't know why posters fought you and I (and others) tooth and nail on it. The writing couldn't have been more clear. CB/DB was going to be an obvious draft need for the team. I mean honestly, this is all people had to consider:
  • Preponderance of interviews and visits with scouts at Indianapolis, Mobile and E/W Shrine Game in regards to defensive backs.
  • John Lynch was personally brought along to Indianapolis to help us evaluate defensive backs.
  • Performance of defensive backfield, in particular corners in the Divisional Loss to Baltimore.
  • Status of our current CB roster: Champ's age, 3 players as RFA/UFA's going into next season, longevity in a pass happy league, also that we only had five active corners. What would we do this year if one of our top guys go down? Neither Bolden or Carter immediately project as starters (if ever) and while Harris is fine as a #2, obviously with the investment of DRC -- the team wants him to be inside as our nickel corner.

It was crystal clear to me. Considering Rhodes prowess in man/press-man, he was an obvious fit for the team. Very unfortunate the Vikings were able to get him and Floyd. I would have much rather seen Denver move up and get Rhodes than drafting Webster in the third.

Rahim gets this year to prove whether or not he can play in the NFL. If he can't, there will be other options. There is a premium in the NFL on cover corners and considering this was a pretty weak class (I was underwhelmed outside Cyprien, Swearinger and a few others) -- I can understand why we passed on that.

Champ isn't going to be here for five more years, and the odds that anyone else we currently have (outside Harris or DRC if they prove it) are probably low. Outside getting another RB, it was the most easy selection to predict for the Broncos.
It is amazing how lucid and coherent you can be Req...when you stay on your meds.
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #252
underrated29
Ahoy
 
You lika da sexy

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,206

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

All i can say is I told so many how much of a stud Rhodes is/was going to be and that we wanted him. Im still super pissed at the vikes for taking him from me.


Next, I do believe that DRC is going to BALL THE F OUT here for us! He will be back and everyone will be glad for it. I have a very good feeling about him. We need to do two very important things this offseason

1. Re-sign Del Rio as DC. This must be done!
2. Get DRC in a LTC
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #253
BroncosfanGuy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I would rather keep Harris at Nickle and move Webster to Safety.

Harris is one of the best nicklebacks in the NFL.
based on his play last year he's becoming one of the best CBs in the league--not just nickle corners.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #254
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,477
Default

DRC was the main CB i wanted in FA. i don't think he was used well in Philly.
but then again none of their DB's were.

i think JDR will get the max out of him and he'll return to pro bowl form.
the real question is, does he price himself out of Denver?
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #255
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,147
Default

2014 is going to be a big deal for us in terms of our UFA/RFAs.

Defense:
Chris Harris
Woodyard
Unrein
Tony Carter
Jeremy Beal
Robert Ayers
Mike Adams
DRC
Shaun Phillips

ST:
Trindon Holliday
Colquitt

Offense:
JD Walton
Clady
Beadles
Decker
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #256
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 37,031
Default

Moore has already proved he can play in the NFL. One bad play doesn't ruin your career. he's going to surprise a lot of you this yr and become a fan favorite! There i am on the record. He mistimed a ball the dline should have never let sail like that. Whole defense **** the bed on that play IMO. Also the coaches blew it by not going for the throat when they had the chance. Next time Fox you go down swinging not playing it safe. You can't play it safe you have to play fast and loose and never get scared. Its just a game FOX! when its 3rd-1 with game on the line dont be afriad to send DT deep! You have to be willing to lose in order to win. Once you play it safe IMO you already are doomed to lose.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #257
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,696

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
2014 is going to be a big deal for us in terms of our UFA/RFAs.

Defense:
Chris Harris
Woodyard
Unrein
Tony Carter
Jeremy Beal
Robert Ayers
Mike Adams
DRC
Shaun Phillips

ST:
Trindon Holliday
Colquitt

Offense:
JD Walton
Clady
Beadles
Decker
Yeah, that's a bunch. Maybe one of the main reasons they let Kidd go and brought in Heckert. Heckert has much more experience with contracts I think, more experience on the evaluation side also.

As for Kayvon, maybe they'll try to fit him in as a backup safety/dime guy just to get him some PT as a rookie? I thought Bolden was being groomed as the #2 outside corner of the future. If Bolden or even Kayvon kick ass I suppose one could win the start over DRC, but really the staff is probably looking at them as backups for now, possible starters outside in 2014/2015.

Hopefully both do well, it gives the club a lot of options to stay competitive with the salary cap projected to stay flat for a couple years - and all those above mentioned vets looking to cash in on their second contracts. Damn Decker should definitely take a hometown discount with all the promotional money he gets, dude probably has about 60 or more radio commercials every single day, plus some TV ads also.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #258
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,696

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
DRC was the main CB i wanted in FA. i don't think he was used well in Philly.
but then again none of their DB's were.

i think JDR will get the max out of him and he'll return to pro bowl form.
the real question is, does he price himself out of Denver?
It did seem that DRC was a good FA pickup, maybe Chris Harris didn't like it so much, since it meant he'll be looking at a "demotion" of sorts. But, Harris will get a payday on his second contract either way since the value of slot CB's has gone up and he's proven he can also play outside.

Yeah, if DRC plays great after the 2014 season he'll probably get a payday, but he's already getting $4 million this year isn't he?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #259
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
It did seem that DRC was a good FA pickup, maybe Chris Harris didn't like it so much, since it meant he'll be looking at a "demotion" of sorts. But, Harris will get a payday on his second contract either way since the value of slot CB's has gone up and he's proven he can also play outside.

Yeah, if DRC plays great after the 2014 season he'll probably get a payday, but he's already getting $4 million this year isn't he?
not really a demotion, Porter was the starter for a few games, then Carter stepped in and played well for a few games, Harris has carved out a great niche for himself as a premier slot/nickel CB.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #260
BroncosfanGuy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
not really a demotion, Porter was the starter for a few games, then Carter stepped in and played well for a few games, Harris has carved out a great niche for himself as a premier slot/nickel CB.
assuming he's relegated to nickle duties, it would be a demotion. He started 12 games last year and was stellar, especially down the stretch. I think Harris is the better CB between he and DRC, and predict Harris will lock down a starting spot. He matched up one-on-one against Boldin in the regular season and held him without a catch for the 1st time since 2005. Harris' fluidity in and out of breaks, his technique, and his ability to diagnose a play along with his decisive step in making that play are all top notch, imo. If Webster and Boldin can take to the coaching as well as Harris did, Denver could have a very good defensive backfield for a while.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #261
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,309

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quotes from Fan Forum. . .

On what made Kayvon Webster a third round pick:


Russell, "His physicality against the run game, we feel like we've got a safety playing corner. We really thought that he was one of the better corners in the draft. Just the combination of cover skills and physicality."

Elway, "Size is imperative in the corner position and we were able to find that in Kayvon."

We will have a full wrap of the comments on MileHighReport.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #262
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,696

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
assuming he's relegated to nickle duties, it would be a demotion. He started 12 games last year and was stellar, especially down the stretch. I think Harris is the better CB between he and DRC, and predict Harris will lock down a starting spot. He matched up one-on-one against Boldin in the regular season and held him without a catch for the 1st time since 2005. Harris' fluidity in and out of breaks, his technique, and his ability to diagnose a play along with his decisive step in making that play are all top notch, imo. If Webster and Boldin can take to the coaching as well as Harris did, Denver could have a very good defensive backfield for a while.
Yeah, Balt didn't even bother with Harris side of the D in the playoff game, they saw JDR had Tony Carter as the LCB, Champ in the slot, and dropping Von into coverage instead of rushing Flacco. So they attacked the left side of the Bronco D with great success with Boldin and also Pitta and Ray Rice. Every one of Balt's big plays went to the Broncos' left side, runs, passes, everything. They kept picking at it and JDR never adjusted.

IIRC, the one big play Balt had in the reg season game, the Pitta TD YAC catch, Tony Carter was the LCB and whiffed the tackle along with Moore whiffing also. Balt saw that same combo in the playoff game, exploited it and JDR didn't adjust.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #263
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Quotes from Fan Forum. . .

On what made Kayvon Webster a third round pick:


Russell, "His physicality against the run game, we feel like we've got a safety playing corner. We really thought that he was one of the better corners in the draft. Just the combination of cover skills and physicality."

Elway, "Size is imperative in the corner position and we were able to find that in Kayvon."

We will have a full wrap of the comments on MileHighReport.
Gotta credit my buddy he nailed it
Said yesterday kayvon was one of the top tacklers in the draft
Russel just confirmed it
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #264
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Every one of Balt's big plays went to the Broncos' left side, runs, passes, everything. They kept picking at it and JDR never adjusted.
The sad part is, that the Broncos knew the Ravens tendency to throw the deep ball down the right sideline before the game, and even had a discussion about it with the game commentators.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #265
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 37,031
Default

We get the Ravens first and the Broncos have a good chance to either get the taste out, or open up and let flacco jizz inside their mouths again. Lets hope they didn't like how Flaccos cock tasted and this time they don't play like a bunch of pussies.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:13 AM   #266
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
2014 is going to be a big deal for us in terms of our UFA/RFAs.

Defense:
Chris Harris
Woodyard
Unrein
Tony Carter
Jeremy Beal
Robert Ayers
Mike Adams
DRC
Shaun Phillips

ST:
Trindon Holliday
Colquitt

Offense:
JD Walton
Clady
Beadles
Decker
Yeah, they have seen this coming foir two years now I hope they have a plan. I guess Decker can go, Walton can go, Colquitt can go, Phillips can Go, DRC, Carter, Adams Ayers can all go, Beals and Unrein can go. hmmmm, not that hard afterall.

Keep Clady, Woodyard, Beadles, Holliday, Woodyard and Harris
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #267
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,649

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Yeah, they have seen this coming foir two years now I hope they have a plan. I guess Decker can go, Walton can go, Colquitt can go, Phillips can Go, DRC, Carter, Adams Ayers can all go, Beals and Unrein can go. hmmmm, not that hard afterall.

Keep Clady, Woodyard, Beadles, Holliday, Woodyard and Harris
Disagree. You have to keep Woodyard.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #268
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Disagree. You have to keep Woodyard.
I did keep Woodyard.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #269
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The sad part is, that the Broncos knew the Ravens tendency to throw the deep ball down the right sideline before the game, and even had a discussion about it with the game commentators.
Yeah you can gameplan and tell the kid what to do but at the end of the day he was backpeddling on a deep ball with 40 seconds to go.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #270
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,649

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I did keep Woodyard.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #271
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Yeah, they have seen this coming foir two years now I hope they have a plan. I guess Decker can go, Walton can go, Colquitt can go, Phillips can Go, DRC, Carter, Adams Ayers can all go, Beals and Unrein can go. hmmmm, not that hard afterall.

Keep Clady, Woodyard, Beadles, Holliday, Woodyard and Harris
The Broncos have cap room for every single one of them, if they want...don't worry about it. I have an excel spreadsheet with all the player salaries, and expected salaries from internal FA's...Broncos looking good if they cut McGahee.

Last edited by pricejj; 05-11-2013 at 04:53 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:59 AM   #272
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,792
Default

Kayvon attributes his physical play to being an LB in High School (also played WR), never played CB until getting on the USF campus. Was recruited out of HS by Spurrier at South Carolina to play CB.

Says he looks forward to learning the position from Bailey. I'm hoping he can develop quickly like Chris Harris. We'll see...he's got a pretty steep learning curve. Played a lot of gunner on special teams.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #273
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Kayvon attributes his physical play to being an LB in High School (also played WR), never played CB until getting on the USF campus. Was recruited out of HS by Spurrier at South Carolina to play CB.

Says he looks forward to learning the position from Bailey. I'm hoping he can develop quickly like Chris Harris. We'll see...he's got a pretty steep learning curve. Played a lot of gunner on special teams.
cover like you're water in the sea, hit like a mack truck and tackle like he stole something from you.
if he can do that he will be a fine CB for us
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #274
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,233

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Kayvon attributes his physical play to being an LB in High School (also played WR), never played CB until getting on the USF campus. Was recruited out of HS by Spurrier at South Carolina to play CB.

Says he looks forward to learning the position from Bailey. I'm hoping he can develop quickly like Chris Harris. We'll see...he's got a pretty steep learning curve. Played a lot of gunner on special teams.
I hope. I remember another CB we drafted,delta O'Neal,who didn't switch to CB til college,turned out to be a bust for Denver.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #275
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
I hope. I remember another CB we drafted,delta O'Neal,who didn't switch to CB til college,turned out to be a bust for Denver.
Do you know how many players get switched to CB in college?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 PM.


Denver Broncos