The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #251
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
It did seem that DRC was a good FA pickup, maybe Chris Harris didn't like it so much, since it meant he'll be looking at a "demotion" of sorts. But, Harris will get a payday on his second contract either way since the value of slot CB's has gone up and he's proven he can also play outside.

Yeah, if DRC plays great after the 2014 season he'll probably get a payday, but he's already getting $4 million this year isn't he?
not really a demotion, Porter was the starter for a few games, then Carter stepped in and played well for a few games, Harris has carved out a great niche for himself as a premier slot/nickel CB.
IndelibleScribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #252
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
not really a demotion, Porter was the starter for a few games, then Carter stepped in and played well for a few games, Harris has carved out a great niche for himself as a premier slot/nickel CB.
assuming he's relegated to nickle duties, it would be a demotion. He started 12 games last year and was stellar, especially down the stretch. I think Harris is the better CB between he and DRC, and predict Harris will lock down a starting spot. He matched up one-on-one against Boldin in the regular season and held him without a catch for the 1st time since 2005. Harris' fluidity in and out of breaks, his technique, and his ability to diagnose a play along with his decisive step in making that play are all top notch, imo. If Webster and Boldin can take to the coaching as well as Harris did, Denver could have a very good defensive backfield for a while.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #253
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quotes from Fan Forum. . .

On what made Kayvon Webster a third round pick:

Russell, "His physicality against the run game, we feel like we've got a safety playing corner. We really thought that he was one of the better corners in the draft. Just the combination of cover skills and physicality."

Elway, "Size is imperative in the corner position and we were able to find that in Kayvon."

We will have a full wrap of the comments on MileHighReport.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #254
Cito Pelon
Happy

Happy dog at the Divide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Werewolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
assuming he's relegated to nickle duties, it would be a demotion. He started 12 games last year and was stellar, especially down the stretch. I think Harris is the better CB between he and DRC, and predict Harris will lock down a starting spot. He matched up one-on-one against Boldin in the regular season and held him without a catch for the 1st time since 2005. Harris' fluidity in and out of breaks, his technique, and his ability to diagnose a play along with his decisive step in making that play are all top notch, imo. If Webster and Boldin can take to the coaching as well as Harris did, Denver could have a very good defensive backfield for a while.
Yeah, Balt didn't even bother with Harris side of the D in the playoff game, they saw JDR had Tony Carter as the LCB, Champ in the slot, and dropping Von into coverage instead of rushing Flacco. So they attacked the left side of the Bronco D with great success with Boldin and also Pitta and Ray Rice. Every one of Balt's big plays went to the Broncos' left side, runs, passes, everything. They kept picking at it and JDR never adjusted.

IIRC, the one big play Balt had in the reg season game, the Pitta TD YAC catch, Tony Carter was the LCB and whiffed the tackle along with Moore whiffing also. Balt saw that same combo in the playoff game, exploited it and JDR didn't adjust.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #255
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Quotes from Fan Forum. . .

On what made Kayvon Webster a third round pick:

Russell, "His physicality against the run game, we feel like we've got a safety playing corner. We really thought that he was one of the better corners in the draft. Just the combination of cover skills and physicality."

Elway, "Size is imperative in the corner position and we were able to find that in Kayvon."

We will have a full wrap of the comments on MileHighReport.
Gotta credit my buddy he nailed it
Said yesterday kayvon was one of the top tacklers in the draft
Russel just confirmed it
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #256
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Every one of Balt's big plays went to the Broncos' left side, runs, passes, everything. They kept picking at it and JDR never adjusted.
The sad part is, that the Broncos knew the Ravens tendency to throw the deep ball down the right sideline before the game, and even had a discussion about it with the game commentators.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #257
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

We get the Ravens first and the Broncos have a good chance to either get the taste out, or open up and let flacco jizz inside their mouths again. Lets hope they didn't like how Flaccos cock tasted and this time they don't play like a bunch of pussies.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:13 AM   #258
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
2014 is going to be a big deal for us in terms of our UFA/RFAs.

Defense:
Chris Harris
Woodyard
Unrein
Tony Carter
Jeremy Beal
Robert Ayers
Mike Adams
DRC
Shaun Phillips

ST:
Trindon Holliday
Colquitt

Offense:
JD Walton
Clady
Beadles
Decker
Yeah, they have seen this coming foir two years now I hope they have a plan. I guess Decker can go, Walton can go, Colquitt can go, Phillips can Go, DRC, Carter, Adams Ayers can all go, Beals and Unrein can go. hmmmm, not that hard afterall.

Keep Clady, Woodyard, Beadles, Holliday, Woodyard and Harris
Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #259
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Disagree. You have to keep Woodyard.
I did keep Woodyard.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #260
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The sad part is, that the Broncos knew the Ravens tendency to throw the deep ball down the right sideline before the game, and even had a discussion about it with the game commentators.
Yeah you can gameplan and tell the kid what to do but at the end of the day he was backpeddling on a deep ball with 40 seconds to go.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #261
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Yeah, they have seen this coming foir two years now I hope they have a plan. I guess Decker can go, Walton can go, Colquitt can go, Phillips can Go, DRC, Carter, Adams Ayers can all go, Beals and Unrein can go. hmmmm, not that hard afterall.

Keep Clady, Woodyard, Beadles, Holliday, Woodyard and Harris
The Broncos have cap room for every single one of them, if they want...don't worry about it. I have an excel spreadsheet with all the player salaries, and expected salaries from internal FA's...Broncos looking good if they cut McGahee.

Last edited by pricejj; 05-11-2013 at 04:53 AM..
Old 05-11-2013, 04:59 AM   #262
pricejj
jungle

Kayvon attributes his physical play to being an LB in High School (also played WR), never played CB until getting on the USF campus. Was recruited out of HS by Spurrier at South Carolina to play CB.

Says he looks forward to learning the position from Bailey. I'm hoping he can develop quickly like Chris Harris. We'll see...he's got a pretty steep learning curve. Played a lot of gunner on special teams.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #263
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
Kayvon attributes his physical play to being an LB in High School (also played WR), never played CB until getting on the USF campus. Was recruited out of HS by Spurrier at South Carolina to play CB.

Says he looks forward to learning the position from Bailey. I'm hoping he can develop quickly like Chris Harris. We'll see...he's got a pretty steep learning curve. Played a lot of gunner on special teams.
cover like you're water in the sea, hit like a mack truck and tackle like he stole something from you.
if he can do that he will be a fine CB for us
Old 05-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #264
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I hope. I remember another CB we drafted,delta O'Neal,who didn't switch to CB til college,turned out to be a bust for Denver.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #265
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
I hope. I remember another CB we drafted,delta O'Neal,who didn't switch to CB til college,turned out to be a bust for Denver.
Do you know how many players get switched to CB in college?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #266
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
a two time pro bowl player who had 34 career INT's and 2 seasons in which he had 9+ INT's isn't a bust.
he didn't become our dominant CB like we had hoped but he damn sure wasn't a bust.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #267
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
a two time pro bowl player who had 34 career INT's and 2 seasons in which he had 9+ INT's isn't a bust.
he didn't become our dominant CB like we had hoped but he damn sure wasn't a bust.
He got burnt on a regular basis with us here in Denver. He got lucky cause QBs loved throwing his way. He had 15 ints in his 4 yrs with us,5 of which came in one game against KC.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #268
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Deltha wasn't a bust. He was an opportunistic corner who created his share of big plays (3 INT's off Tom Brady in 03' if I recall correctly) but also gave up a lot of plays based off his inconsistency as well. He was very similar to Darien Gordon when he was here.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #269
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Deltha wasn't a bust. He was an opportunistic corner who created his share of big plays (3 INT's off Tom Brady in 03' if I recall correctly) but also gave up a lot of plays based off his inconsistency as well. He was very similar to Darien Gordon when he was here.
Detha was not a bust, he played 10 years or so in the NFL, I believe 9 of those years he was a starter.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #270
Action

Quote:
Joe Haden came to Florida as a QB from HS but Tebow was there... then Haden switched to WR but Harvin was there...then he finally switched to CB.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #271
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
He got burnt on a regular basis with us here in Denver. He got lucky cause QBs loved throwing his way. He had 15 ints in his 4 yrs with us,5 of which came in one game against KC.
a two time pro bowler is not a bust.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #272
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis

Quote:
Delta's career is completely irrelevant to Webster. Not sure why you would want to equate the two.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #273
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
cover like you're water in the sea, hit like a mack truck and tackle like he stole something from you.
if he can do that he will be a fine CB for us
Sounds simple enough. He's gonna have to show real ability right out the gate with this team, or he'll drop down the depth chart like a rock. We'll find out soon.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:56 AM   #274
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Deltha was a good corner... and I think had we had Champ, we should have kept him. He was a good #2.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #275
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Delta's career is completely irrelevant to Webster. Not sure why you would want to equate the two.
Not necessarily equating the two, I just stated originally that I hope he does well for us,cause we had another CB that didn't.