The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #226
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
My guess is that this guy (your friend) is referring to National Football Scouting based out of Tulsa. There is also BLESTO. I'm pretty sure National runs the logistics behind the combine too. So what I infer from your statement, is that the scouts at National had Webster as a fourth round guy.

Teams with BLESTO: (ATL, BUF, CHI, CLE, DAL, DET, HOU, JAC, MIA, MIN, NYG, PIT).

Teams with NATIONAL:
(AZ, CAR, CIN, DEN, GB, KC, NO, NYJ, PHI, STL, SD, SF, SEA, TB, TEN).

More on BLESTO and NATIONAL.

So based on this, it does make sense. Thanks for sharing, CEH.
Thanks, just trying to provide a little different perpective on Webster
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #227
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 7,311
Default

Chris Harris #64 Overall on PFF top 100. He needs to be on the field 100% of the time.

Would be nice if Webster could overtake Nickel CB, so Harris could move to SS. Harris is only 5'9", but I could live with that. He brings a ton of tenacity every single play.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #228
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer
 
Bigdawg26's Avatar
 
Just let it happen!!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,915

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Chris Harris #64 Overall on PFF top 100. He needs to be on the field 100% of the time.

Would be nice if Webster could overtake Nickel CB, so Harris could move to SS. Harris is only 5'9", but I could live with that. He brings a ton of tenacity every single play.
I doubt he could overtake Harris, but I think Webster is good depth at the corner position because of all the injuries we always have at CB throughout the season.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #229
Heyneck
Ring of Famer
 
Heyneck's Avatar
 
RIP Tripplets!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cali, Colombia
Posts: 2,385

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Chris Harris #64 Overall on PFF top 100. He needs to be on the field 100% of the time.

Would be nice if Webster could overtake Nickel CB, so Harris could move to SS. Harris is only 5'9", but I could live with that. He brings a ton of tenacity every single play.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #230
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Harris is staying at cornerback..he's not playing safety.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #231
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Webster is playing CB..

Again we passed on plenty of safeties who were available in the third..
FS: Phillip Thomas, Baccari Rambo, Josh Evans
SS: Shawn Williams, Duke Williams, Earl Wolfe
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #232
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 7,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Chris Harris #64 Overall on PFF top 100. He needs to be on the field 100% of the time.

Would be nice if Webster could overtake Nickel CB, so Harris could move to SS. Harris is only 5'9", but I could live with that. He brings a ton of tenacity every single play.
i don't know that i want him at SS. he's really excelled at the nickel CB spot and i think he is at his best there.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #233
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 7,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
i don't know that i want him at SS. he's really excelled at the nickel CB spot and i think he is at his best there.
Yeah, once you find a good Nickel CB, it's good to keep him there. Been searching for one for a long time.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #234
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,222

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Manning is a kick ass QB, we have a whole at MLB. You know what to do Fox.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #235
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 7,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Yeah, once you find a good Nickel CB, it's good to keep him there. Been searching for one for a long time.
i'm not big on moving CB's to S unless they can't really catch on at CB.
if he's a good or better CB then leave him at CB.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #236
delany
Uber Bronco
 
delany's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 932
Default

If Holiday keeps fumbling the ball on returns....maybe Webster will be given a shot.
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #237
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry
 
BowlenBall's Avatar
 
Pimp.

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 5,091

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lucas Reed
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Webster is playing CB..

Again we passed on plenty of safeties who were available in the third..
FS: Phillip Thomas, Baccari Rambo, Josh Evans
SS: Shawn Williams, Duke Williams, Earl Wolfe
Good point... If we wanted a safety, I think we would have drafted one of those gentlemen in the third (I would have been ecstatic with Wolfe). Webster's going to play corner for us.
BowlenBall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #238
BroncosfanGuy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
i'm not big on moving CB's to S unless they can't really catch on at CB.
if he's a good or better CB then leave him at CB.
agreed. especially with a guy like Harris who is so good playing on the outside and the slot. much harder to find a guy who can play inside and outside at a high level than it is to find a safety.

I think a decent plan is to go into the year with Bailey and Harris manning the CB positions in 2 CB sets. in nickle sets, Harris moves to the slot w/ Bailey and DRC on the outside. Maybe Webster plays a big nickle role or plays in dime packages--his role will be determined by what he can handle.

Long term, I think an ideal situation would be Harris and Webster on the outside (assuming Webster grows into a starting-caliber CB). That could come as soon as 2014 with a possible request to Champ to take a pay cut next offseason. Of not, then maybe Webster takes DRC's role as stated above. With Bailey and Harris as starters and Webster bumping Harris to the slot in nickle situations. Obviously way too early to tell and a lot hinges on Webster's growth/Bailey's contract situation. There's the whole Champ moving to safety thing that people talk about too, but I don't think that's necessarily an imminent move.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #239
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer
 
Bigdawg26's Avatar
 
Just let it happen!!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,915

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
agreed. especially with a guy like Harris who is so good playing on the outside and the slot. much harder to find a guy who can play inside and outside at a high level than it is to find a safety.

I think a decent plan is to go into the year with Bailey and Harris manning the CB positions in 2 CB sets. in nickle sets, Harris moves to the slot w/ Bailey and DRC on the outside. Maybe Webster plays a big nickle role or plays in dime packages--his role will be determined by what he can handle.

Long term, I think an ideal situation would be Harris and Webster on the outside (assuming Webster grows into a starting-caliber CB). That could come as soon as 2014 with a possible request to Champ to take a pay cut next offseason. Of not, then maybe Webster takes DRC's role as stated above. With Bailey and Harris as starters and Webster bumping Harris to the slot in nickle situations. Obviously way too early to tell and a lot hinges on Webster's growth/Bailey's contract situation. There's the whole Champ moving to safety thing that people talk about too, but I don't think that's necessarily an imminent move.
I think if anybody is going to play big nickel its going to be DRC. He's the tallest DB on the roster, and I think he will be given the assignment to cover the bigger WR or TE.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #240
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 7,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
agreed. especially with a guy like Harris who is so good playing on the outside and the slot. much harder to find a guy who can play inside and outside at a high level than it is to find a safety.

I think a decent plan is to go into the year with Bailey and Harris manning the CB positions in 2 CB sets. in nickle sets, Harris moves to the slot w/ Bailey and DRC on the outside. Maybe Webster plays a big nickle role or plays in dime packages--his role will be determined by what he can handle.

Long term, I think an ideal situation would be Harris and Webster on the outside (assuming Webster grows into a starting-caliber CB). That could come as soon as 2014 with a possible request to Champ to take a pay cut next offseason. Of not, then maybe Webster takes DRC's role as stated above. With Bailey and Harris as starters and Webster bumping Harris to the slot in nickle situations. Obviously way too early to tell and a lot hinges on Webster's growth/Bailey's contract situation. There's the whole Champ moving to safety thing that people talk about too, but I don't think that's necessarily an imminent move.
i would think the outside corners in the future would be Bolden and Webster with Harris in the slot.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #241
BroncosfanGuy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
I think if anybody is going to play big nickel its going to be DRC. He's the tallest DB on the roster, and I think he will be given the assignment to cover the bigger WR or TE.
that would leave someone like Webster or Boldin taking the outside unless Denver leaves Harris out there. And as good as Harris is on the outside (which is very good), I think he's got a pretty good home in the slot in nickle situations. I think Harris is the starter opposite Champ in 2 CB sets and DRC is the outside CB opposite Bailey in the nickle unless someone leapfrogs him.

I think the Denver D is certainly pliable enough to move pieces around in different situations (and that includes moving their d backs around a little bit), but I think this is the gist of what they could do on D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
i would think the outside corners in the future would be Bolden and Webster with Harris in the slot.
That would be nice if they could do that, and I'm assuming one of them comes in in nickle situations and moves Harris from the corner to the slot. That would mean the Johns and Matt Russell hit big with all 3 of those CBs.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 05-06-2013 at 09:04 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #242
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 7,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post
If Holiday keeps fumbling the ball on returns....maybe Webster will be given a shot.
Apparently Tavarres King is a punt returner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
i would think the outside corners in the future would be Bolden and Webster with Harris in the slot.
Broncos were targeting Xavier Rhodes in the 1st this year...I bet they target a CB in the 1st next year too.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #243
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 7,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Apparently Tavarres King is a punt returner.



Broncos were targeting Xavier Rhodes in the 1st this year...I bet they target a CB in the 1st next year too.
it wouldn't shock me, it's known they want to get bigger CB's.
that said, a good showing by Webster and Bolden probably lessens that need.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #244
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Chris Harris #64 Overall on PFF top 100. He needs to be on the field 100% of the time.

Would be nice if Webster could overtake Nickel CB, so Harris could move to SS. Harris is only 5'9", but I could live with that. He brings a ton of tenacity every single play.
I would rather keep Harris at Nickle and move Webster to Safety.

Harris is one of the best nicklebacks in the NFL.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #245
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 22,293

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh
Default

We aren't going to be moving Webster.

DRC, Harris and Carter are all FA after this season. They aren't all coming back.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #246
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
We aren't going to be moving Webster.

DRC, Harris and Carter are all FA after this season. They aren't all coming back.
And there you have it. You can never have enough CBs in the NFL.
Just an extremelly tough position to play and fill in the pass-happy NFL.
And to think, DEN was targeting Xavier Rhodes like we said all along.
Man, i remember us getting charbroiled many, many months ago for
defending that pick in DEN.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #247
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 7,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
And there you have it. You can never have enough CBs in the NFL.
Just an extremelly tough position to play and fill in the pass-happy NFL.
And to think, DEN was targeting Xavier Rhodes like we said all along.
Man, i remember us getting charbroiled many, many months ago for
defending that pick in DEN.
that's because more people want to replace Rahim Moore than want to find Champs eventually replacement when he retires.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #248
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
We aren't going to be moving Webster.

DRC, Harris and Carter are all FA after this season. They aren't all coming back.
Really? DRC has a two year deal but the Broncos can opt to if they want to after one. Harris is one of the most important player in the secondary, even more than Champ because he is very young. Carter will not command much in FA and if Denver wants him they be able to re-sign him.

Prediction
DRC gone after this year both Harris and Carter re-signed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #249
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 22,293

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
And there you have it. You can never have enough CBs in the NFL.
Just an extremelly tough position to play and fill in the pass-happy NFL.
And to think, DEN was targeting Xavier Rhodes like we said all along.
Man, i remember us getting charbroiled many, many months ago for
defending that pick in DEN.
Exactly. I don't know why posters fought you and I (and others) tooth and nail on it. The writing couldn't have been more clear. CB/DB was going to be an obvious draft need for the team. I mean honestly, this is all people had to consider:
  • Preponderance of interviews and visits with scouts at Indianapolis, Mobile and E/W Shrine Game in regards to defensive backs.
  • John Lynch was personally brought along to Indianapolis to help us evaluate defensive backs.
  • Performance of defensive backfield, in particular corners in the Divisional Loss to Baltimore.
  • Status of our current CB roster: Champ's age, 3 players as RFA/UFA's going into next season, longevity in a pass happy league, also that we only had five active corners. What would we do this year if one of our top guys go down? Neither Bolden or Carter immediately project as starters (if ever) and while Harris is fine as a #2, obviously with the investment of DRC -- the team wants him to be inside as our nickel corner.

It was crystal clear to me. Considering Rhodes prowess in man/press-man, he was an obvious fit for the team. Very unfortunate the Vikings were able to get him and Floyd. I would have much rather seen Denver move up and get Rhodes than drafting Webster in the third.

Rahim gets this year to prove whether or not he can play in the NFL. If he can't, there will be other options. There is a premium in the NFL on cover corners and considering this was a pretty weak class (I was underwhelmed outside Cyprien, Swearinger and a few others) -- I can understand why we passed on that.

Champ isn't going to be here for five more years, and the odds that anyone else we currently have (outside Harris or DRC if they prove it) are probably low. Outside getting another RB, it was the most easy selection to predict for the Broncos.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #250
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 22,293

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Really? DRC has a two year deal but the Broncos can opt to if they want to after one. Harris is one of the most important player in the secondary, even more than Champ because he is very young. Carter will not command much in FA and if Denver wants him they be able to re-sign him.

Prediction
DRC gone after this year both Harris and Carter re-signed.
Um, yeah.

DRC's deal is voidable after this year. If he doesn't perform, he won't be back.

I think both Harris and Carter are RFA's -- I expect Harris to get a quality tender and believe Carter will be the odd man out considering Webster will be cheaper than him in the long-run and Bolden was drafted in the fourth last year and has two more years on his contract after this season. I hope that DRC performs and we can keep him because it helps us out in the long-term. He knows what the has to improve upon.

2014 Corner Outlook (Best Case)

Bailey (Old Age)
DRC (Proven)
Harris (Nickel)
Bolden
Webster

That still means we need to get somebody else, and if DRC does not do well, he is obviously going to get his second year (team option) voided and not return, which makes CB an even pressing need. I don't see why people continue to argue in circles about it. Getting a guy like Webster doesn't negate us having to get a #1 quality guy for the future. NOBODY on our team is a future #1, not even DRC. Hence their gushing and subsequent pursuit of Xavier Rhodes.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Denver Broncos